PDA

View Full Version : DOH! Log cabin

feministmama
03-28-2008, 02:05 AM
So I been playing with some lambs pride bulky I have in my stash and I though OOoooOOO log cabin afghan so I CO a few stitches and ended up with......this

Ingrid
03-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Looks like you were a bit over enthusiastic with picking up stitches. You pick up one per ridge where you're picking up along the perpendicular rows. Don't ask me how I know. :teehee:

GinnyG
03-28-2008, 07:24 AM
It seems that the spring is bringing log cabin fever...... I'm finishing up a log cabin baby blanket. I'll post a pic over the weekend.

As Ingrid mentioned, you need to be fairly exact in picing up your stitches, one per rib and one per stitch. Mine has come out surprisingly square.

The one issue I have had is ALL THOSE ENDS to weave in. It is making me crazy and no matter how carefully you weave each time you have a color change there are 4 ends (two at the start and two at the stop). My front looks very nice but I am not pleased with the back side.

With the lambspride bulky you can do a felted join and avoid that, but I am using Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino and it doesn't felt.

Jaxhil
03-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Well, despite the extra stitches picked up, I really like the colors and yarn you've chosen! It's going to be beautiful-so cozy and snuggly looking!

My Mom's making me one and I can't wait to get it! It's looking really pretty, and she's using old stashed LB Homespun for it. It's turning out surprisingly well, seeing as all the colors were purchased at different times and not meant to go together.

Good luck with yours!

cristina61
03-28-2008, 10:36 AM
Ingrid may be correct, but I'm also seeing some vignetting at the corners, which makes me think lens distortion -- so maybe the knitting is actually flatter than it appears.

Either way, that's a great start and some very cool color choices. Log cabins can be addicting!

feministmama
03-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah i guess I picked up too many stitches but I can never tell with garther, I mean what does a sideways garter stitch supposed to look like? And even if you follow the Mason Dixon log cabin pattern (which I didn't, I kinda made it up off of thiers) they say to knit something like 20 rows and then pick up 29 rows so that's asking you to pick up more stitches than possible.:??

feministmama
03-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Ingrid may be correct, but I'm also seeing some vignetting at the corners, which makes me think lens distortion -- so maybe the knitting is actually flatter than it appears.

Actually I took the photo on top of one of those excercise balls :teehee:

suzeeq
03-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Hmmm, generally you knit something like 30 rows, then pick up 15 sts, or half the number of rows you knit. Did the pattern maybe say to knit 20 ridges... that's 40 rows.

cristina61
03-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Actually I took the photo on top of one of those excercise balls :teehee:

Oh . . . okay, I can see it now. It's like an optical illusion! :eyes:

Jan in CA
03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Mason Dixon actually has some info on their blog page. It's about half way down.
http://www.masondixonknitting.com/archives/2004_02.html

feministmama
03-28-2008, 07:29 PM
OK so she says knit 29 rows and pick up 29 garter ridges but I never seem to have the same amount of ridges as I have rows. I just can't "see" each row. maybe I should put a stitch marker at the end of each row and pick those up :teehee:

suzeeq
03-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Nope, she said "I cast on 20 stitches and knit 29 garter ridges" A garter ridge is two rows. So she knit 58 rows, and picked up a st in each ridge.

feministmama
03-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Nope, she said "I cast on 20 stitches and knit 29 garter ridges" A garter ridge is two rows. So she knit 58 rows, and picked up a st in each ridge.

ooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooo that's very different!!!!!!!! Thanks!:muah:

suzeeq
03-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Garter stitch is about the only stitch where the stitch gauge is about the same as row gauge. So you pick up half as many stitches as the number of rows you did.

feministmama
03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
OK now I got it

http://flickr.com/photos/8323551@N08/2371463555/

GinnyG
03-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Yup, you got it!:happydance:

suzeeq
03-29-2008, 06:44 PM
There ya go!!

HollyP
03-29-2008, 06:55 PM
:woot: Good job Feministmama! My first attempt at log cabining was a disaster too. Glad I am not the only one!!:teehee:

feministmama
03-29-2008, 08:16 PM
I think using bulky wool is not a good idea. It was a good experiemnet though.:thumbsup: From now I'll stick to worsted for Log Cabin

suzeeq
03-29-2008, 08:34 PM
You could certainly use bulky yarn, just use much larger needles, like a size 11 or 13.

Spikey
03-30-2008, 12:56 PM
For Absorba, the Mason-Dixon bathmat, you are supposed to use 3 strands of double worsted peaches and creme, which winds up being pretty bulky. Done on size 15 needles.

Jeremy
03-30-2008, 01:52 PM
You picked up on the "wrong" side on the first square. Great minds think alike. I just started spinning and dyeing and I thought that a log cabin afghan would be a good project for some imperfect yarn.:)
If you belong to Ravelry they have a log cabin kal going. That's how I knew about the wrong vs. right side. the tail should have been on your left as you picked up.

I really like how its coming out

KnittingNat
03-30-2008, 02:18 PM
To make picking up stitches easier, you can start and finish rows the Russian way - slip the first stitch and purl the last one. It will give a nice edge to pick up from.

ArtLady1981
03-31-2008, 03:03 AM
In reading the Mason-Dixon book (a really good read BTW)...they said that they always have a log cabin going. As soon as they get done with a regular project of any kind...they immediately knit the left over yarn onto the log cabin (of the same gauge)! Is that not cool?

So I guess I would have at least two log cabins rolling at all time...a worsted weight and a dk weight...my most frequently used yarn weights!

I think a hodge-podge log cabin is the best kind! I like the idea of a log cabin that catches all the leftovers! Hey, it will be just as warm when you're curled up with a good book or an old movie!

I must really get two log cabins rolling, and soon! :eyes:
Don't ya think a log cabin would be a good summer project??

KnittingNat
03-31-2008, 03:27 AM
I agree that it's a good leftover project. I'm almost through with my log cabin and i'm going to find a nice edge for it in the "Knitting on the edge" book, i think it will add some special touch.

GinnyG
03-31-2008, 05:19 AM
I agree that it's a good leftover project. I'm almost through with my log cabin and i'm going to find a nice edge for it in the "Knitting on the edge" book, i think it will add some special touch.

I just posted my log cabin over in "whatcha knitting", I'm looking for edging suggestins. What are you doing? I'd like to do something other than the plain garter stitch but am not sure what.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1088508#post1088508

KnittingNat
03-31-2008, 06:01 AM
I just posted my log cabin over in "whatcha knitting", I'm looking for edging suggestins. What are you doing? I'd like to do something other than the plain garter stitch but am not sure what.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1088508#post1088508
I don't know yet if to do something lacy or garter stitch ruffle edge...I have to finish it this week, so i have to decide quickly :teehee:

feministmama
03-31-2008, 12:21 PM
Ginny G I think it looks lovely the way it is.!

Gspice
03-31-2008, 12:39 PM
I am working on a log cabin blanket too. It's a work in progress. Good luck with yours. Post more pics.

knitasha
03-31-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm about 3/5 into a worsted Log Cabin afghan, but I want it to be a bit more rectangular than square so I'm varying the width of the stripes.

As for the wrong side: I've been picking up the stitches very carefully so the lines are quite even, and avoiding all that weaving by tying each pair of ends with a tight double knot, then a bow. Sort of charming, if I say so myself.:aww:

Spikey
04-01-2008, 12:17 AM
There was an interesting discussion on the ravelry KAL about binding off and picking up stitches.

Someone suggested not binding off, just putting the live stitches on waste yarn until you come back around to them again.

Sounds a whole lot easier to me than picking up stitches, but I'm not sure how it might affect the look.

Has anyone tried this?

I'm halfway through Absorba, and I'm not going to change techniques at this point, but I'll definitely try it on my next project.

cristina61
04-01-2008, 12:40 AM
After reading Mason-Dixon Knitting last October, I got all gung-ho about trying a Log Cabin, so I took a bunch of obscure, vintage acrylic stuff I had bought over the internet -- a combination of worsted, DK, and fingering weight yarns -- and just plunged ahead.

I was very proud of my progress . . . until I sat back and looked at how the colors looked next to each other. YUCK! Can you imagine an entire blanket of this?!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2342/2379500960_68f7917553.jpg (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/%3Ca%20href=)">

Oh well. At least it was good practice! Some day I'll do another one with yarns of the same weight and colors that actually complement each other.

amy
04-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Christine, I think it looks great so far! If you want it to look more cohesive, just pick 1-3 bold colors that you like, and use them repeatedly. That salmon color is definitely working. :thumbsup:

Love the idea of keeping these going for using up spare yarn.

suzeeq
04-01-2008, 09:58 AM
I read on someone's blog a year or two ago about keeping the sts live instead of binding off, only they used dpns and needles and such. It would work, and I don't think it affects the finished blanket at all.

feministmama
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
I read on someone's blog a year or two ago about keeping the sts live instead of binding off, only they used dpns and needles and such. It would work, and I don't think it affects the finished blanket at all.

Sounds like a lot of work but if its easier I'll try anything!!!

Spikey
04-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Sounds like a lot of work but if its easier I'll try anything!!!

Theoretically, it should eliminate the issue of picking up too many or too few stitches.

Jeremy
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Christina, I don't see anything wrong with the colors. I think you are being overly critical. I say continue on with it.:thumbsup:

VictoiseC
04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
This technique is so much fun! I actually made a handbag! doing this with left over beautiful yarns. It's really neat. I'll have to post a picture. If you get tired you can always stop and do that:teehee:.