PDA

View Full Version : Einstein coat yarn and size

truenorth
03-31-2008, 11:55 PM
I still consider myself a novice but after making and giving away tons of hats and scarves, I really want to make something for myself. Not a hat! Not a scarf! I want to make the Einstein coat but am pondering over what yarn to choose. I am afraid the specified Lopi will be too scratchy for me but haven't ruled it out. Am considering the Brown Sheep Company's Lamb's Pride Bulky, which has 15% mohair....will that be itchy,too? Another yarn I am considering is Debbie Bliss Donegal Chunky Tweed. Seems it might be a bit "stiff." ?? Manos de Ureguay looks gorgeous, but I don't think it is considered "bulky" as specified for the pattern. ??? I think I have read every thread regarding this coat, including the KAL, and I still can't make up my mind! From comments there, I am hoping to choose a yarn that won't have tendency to stretch (I read that the coat can "grow" longer than planned). I am about a size 8, 5 ft. 4" ht. Will the size Small be right? Would appreciate any opinions! This will be a big time challenge for me, so I hope I can make the right decision. Thanks for any input!!

Jan in CA
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Look at the yarn weight and gauge and try to match it. That's your best bet for substituting yarns. Also... there is a search function right above the ad that you can use to search the forum. (Not the one at the top) I think there are a lot of threads on the Einstein coat that might help, too.