PDA

View Full Version : Invitation for a KAL for the Hemlock Ring

Pages : [1] 2

DudeWithSticks
04-02-2008, 02:15 AM
***UPDATED*** MAY 24, 2008***PLEASE READ FIRST***
I have attatched the written out and extended version of this pattern that Mary worked on and I wrote it out line by line. PLEASE download this pattern if you like written instructions and it follows Jared's original design!
Please look for post #239 that is where the pdf file is.
Hi All,
Wanted to send out an invite to all of you knitters out there that may want to KAL with a few of us. Below are some links for the patterns and finished product. There has been some interest by some of you on a few of the other forums.
I am not an advanced knitter by far, more on the beginner/intermediate. So, I think that if there are any advanced beginners out there and have knitted a feather and fan lace scarf or the sort, now is you chance to step up to the plate and "DO IT" :D I think that I am up for the challenge and there have been some great advanced knitters who are willing to help us novices. Thanks M... :D
Also, if anyone is interested, the yarn that was used is Cascade Ecological Wool. Yarn.com is having a HUGE sale on quite a few yarns from different vendors. And the eco wool is on sale. Regularly 15.00 per 478 yd hank on sale now for 10.49. They have a pretty good assortment of colors.
So I think that it's fate, someone wants me to knit this. LOL
http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/1122/
So, let us know if you'd like to join our KAL and soon we'll have a great piece to show off to everyone.
http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/20...g-blanket.html (http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/20...g-blanket.html) (finished product)
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwi...mlockRing.html (http://www.angelfire.com/folk/celtwich/KnitHemlockRing.html) (original doily pattern)
Cheers All!
:guyknitting:

mwhite
04-02-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm in on this one!

DudeWithSticks
04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm in on this one!
Cool Mary and thanks for all of your help so far. I haven't started yet, but I will be posting some progressive photos on here to show everyone that even "I" the advanced beginner can do this. Which means pretty much EVERYONE can do this. LOL
Wish me luch peoples and we need more fellow knitters too!
I want the KAL to look like this... :thumbsup:

:knitting: :guyknitting: :knitting: :guyknitting: :knitting: :guyknitting: :guyknitting: :knitting: :guyknitting:
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Karina
04-02-2008, 05:07 PM
It is a beautiful blanket, I am not sure I can start another project just yet. have joined the yahoo group though and got the pattern. will definitely be on my to do list.

Am I right in thinking you have to follow the original pattern until you hit row 47 and then follow the additional chart of fan and feathers.

Have read a few of the post on the yahoo group and it seems to be a relative quick knit, some people got it done in a month or two which I think is pretty fast.

Will be keeping an eye on this KAL, hope to see lots of pictures.

DudeWithSticks
04-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi Karina,
Yes, you are correct, you need to follow the written directions from the original pattern and then move onto the chart. So you don't finish the written pattern and then go to the chart.
Yes, can't wait to get my supplies and start. Hopefully by this weekend. I did a sample to see if I could actually do the DPN's and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Good luck and will be posting as I start to do it.

DudeWithSticks
04-04-2008, 05:41 PM
So I decided to try out a few rows on my first try on DPN's. I just decided to try it out on some yarn that I had.
I made it through 35 rows with no problems and it looks pretty good. I decided to stop since it's not the yarn that I wanted to make this in.
I am not receiving my yarn till mid next week and can't wait to start.
Will be posting more pics in the actual yarn, once I get them on my needles. And try to do pics as I am knitting. I am not the best knitter and maybe Mary will post some of her pics on here. (since I am sure that she knits WAAAAAAAAAY better than myself)
Cheers and have a great weekend all!
I had to do a few different posts to put them up since there is an upload limit.

DudeWithSticks
04-04-2008, 05:45 PM
one more pic...

Rabbitrescuer
04-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Alright count me in! I have my yarn & am finishing off my baby blanket so I'm ready when you are. :thumbsup:

Karina
04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
looks pretty good. Seems a shame to just rip it out. could you not just make it into a cushion cover or something. Are you using the Eco wool, is that equivalent to UK aran or chunky?

knitmama
04-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm in. I just ordered the yarn a few days ago, so it should be here soon. I've got lots of birthdays coming and will be knitting other projects along with this one, but slow and steady wins the race right? :teehee: Looking forward to getting started!

DudeWithSticks
04-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Alright count me in! I have my yarn & am finishing off my baby blanket so I'm ready when you are. :thumbsup:
That's great and welcome to our little KAL. I'll be ready next week to actually start, but by all means please start without me. :) And I am sure we'll be there knitting all together at somepoint.

DudeWithSticks
04-04-2008, 11:47 PM
looks pretty good. Seems a shame to just rip it out. could you not just make it into a cushion cover or something. Are you using the Eco wool, is that equivalent to UK aran or chunky?
I know Karina,
It's actually a DK weight wool, and I was using US size 8 needles. I actually didn't have any solid yarn to experiment with, so I used some of the yarn from the scarf that I am knitting. LOL So, I wouldn't have enough anyway.
I am looking at this as a swatch and to see if I could actually do it. So, seriously, if I can do this. "ANYONE" can do this!

DudeWithSticks
04-04-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm in. I just ordered the yarn a few days ago, so it should be here soon. I've got lots of birthdays coming and will be knitting other projects along with this one, but slow and steady wins the race right? :teehee: Looking forward to getting started!
Sounds great KM and welcome. I am so glad that we are having more people joining our KAL. I should have my yarn by next week as well and looking forward to start as well.
And yes, slow and steady does, mostly. :D

mwhite
04-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Well, my photography leaves alot to be desired but here's mine so far. This is done on size #6 needles with Cream TLC Cotton Plus.... Round 42 complete:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/th_005-1.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/005-1.jpg)

DudeWithSticks
04-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Well, my photography leaves alot to be desired but here's mine so far. This is done on size #6 needles with Cream TLC Cotton Plus.... Round 42 complete:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/th_005-1.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/005-1.jpg)

Mary, that looks great! And you're photographing white, one of the hardest things to photograph and get detail. Can't wait to start mine soon!

mwhite
04-07-2008, 07:40 AM
I highly recommend to anyone joining in on the KAL to put in lifelines... It is a fairly intricate pattern and I had to tink back, once on the 35th round. I have reached and placed a lifeline on round #46, which is a knit round just before a stitch pattern round. Once you reach this point, after the 47th round, there will be knit rounds for 4 rounds and then another stitch pattern row. Just a suggestion!

eladine
04-07-2008, 08:49 AM
ok, this may be REALLY obvious... but to a person who likes to think things through before they do it... how do you put a lifeline in?!!!

:S

Lisa1216
04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
There is a video here on KH:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Scroll down to the "Fixing Mistakes" heading and there is a video for "Using a Lifeline".

eladine
04-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Lol! Thanks Lisa... that answers so many questions, and i'm kicking myself even harder after this weekend's misadventures whilst watching a film and attempting to finish off a couple of rows of lacework...

No more!!! I think lifelines are going to be a huge part of my knitting from now on!!!!

Thanks again!

Lisa1216
04-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Your Welcome! :thumbsup: I've been watching this thread and trying to figure out if I want to add one more project to my list. I love the pattern though. I just need to finish up a few things first. :)

mwhite
04-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Sure hope you'll both join in. It's not a difficult pattern and works up fairly quickly.

eladine
04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Mary, oh I think I will be joining!

I've a baby jacket OTN - nearly done (I hope!) and a throw for the baby's mum... baby can't have all the pressies now can it?!!

But after that, I think I have some wool ready and waiting for this pattern!

mwhite
04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
WONDERFUL!!! Glad to have you and you'll just love how the pattern works up! I'm at work alone (kinda like "Home Alone") this morning and sneaking in a few rows while waiting for the Monday rush...hehehe

DudeWithSticks
04-07-2008, 04:20 PM
WONDERFUL!!! Glad to have you and you'll just love how the pattern works up! I'm at work alone (kinda like "Home Alone") this morning and sneaking in a few rows while waiting for the Monday rush...hehehe
I'm reporting you to the family police. HAHAHA
Just got all my needles! YAY. Now waiting for my yarn (BOO), hopefully I'll be getting it in the next few days and I'll be ready to go. And thanks for the heads up Mary, I will be getting some cotton yarn and doing lifelines as you mentioned. Can you just keep them in until you are finished and just pull them out all at once?
And welcome all to the group. I would join the yahoo group to get the charts etc. But I have noticed it's not as hands on as here and you can get your questions answered a lot quicker.
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not a chart reader, so I wished that someone would have written out the chart in long form. Maybe someone did and I should look at the forum once again.
Cheers all...

mwhite
04-07-2008, 06:05 PM
SHHHHH! The boss stayed gone until about 4pm, so I got to round 56!!! Neener Neener!

You can leave your lifelines in til you're done, if ya want!

I'm not a chart reader, either! Now, I'm questioning whether the chart is different and I don't think it is. If I recall, in his blog page about the pattern, he states that the chart was done for the benefit of chart readers and you actually need to refer to the written pattern as you're reading the chart. I sat down and compared them and they appear to be the same thing. The chart is for the entire stitch pattern and he states that you'll start each increase row in the center of his chart. He also stated that the chart will help anyone wanting to make their Hemlock Ring larger by showing how the stitch pattern tier continues. I will either have to get used to the chart or write mine out because I'm planning on making this into a table cloth and will need at least 60" in diameter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I interpreted. Hmmm, might pay to ask the man, ya reckon? LOL! Oh where, oh where can our DUSTINAC be, oh where, oh where can she be???

I did email Jared and asked for this direct answers on this...yes, I know there's a Yahoo KAL, but wanted an answer from "THE MAN"!

mwhite
04-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Okay, haven't received an answer yet but did find this:

\ means- SSK (slip, slip, K2tog), left slanting decrease: Insert your R needle into 1 stitch on the left needle, as if to knit. Slip it from the L needle onto the R needle (this is called slipping knitwise). Slip a second stitch knitwise. Pass your left needle back through these two stitches, so that the L needle is in front of the R needle. You will note that your R needle is now positioned as if to knit through the back loops. Wrap yarn as usual around R needle, pull through both stitches, and drop both old stitches from the L needle.
Alternate - easier to understand, takes longer to do, looks exactly the same: S1 K1 PSSO

and the chart shows ssk where written instruction shows the S1, K1 PSSO. So there's a difference but not really, as shown in the "Alternate" explanation. It's probably just a matter of preference.

Karina
04-07-2008, 06:42 PM
if you are on ravelry it would also pay you to look up hemlock on there. there are about 70 or so pages of people who have done this pattern some have some good advice and not to does. and you can see all the different type of yarn people are using. very good. not really supposed to get involved in another KAL but I am very tempted by this one.

Karina
04-07-2008, 06:52 PM
I am not sure but I think the way you do the decreases depends on which way the finished stitch is supposed to lean to. is that right. I think that is why on most lace patterns one side is ssk and the other is k2tog. I am guessing that as long as you keep to doing the decreases the same way throughout it will look OK.

I have not really done a lot of lace but have tried to figure out the charts because there are a few that I would like to do. and it seems to me that all the symbols are the same what ever pattern you use. most of the patterns that I have seen have the instructions written out long and also provide a chart with an explanation of the symbols so you could look at any chart and then translate the hemlock chart that way

mwhite
04-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I did receive a reply from Jared and am correct:

"Yes, the chart just visually represents what goes on in the written instructions, although it continues increasing in the Feather and Fan pattern beyond where the written pattern ends. If you want to make something 60 inches in diameter, you will need to extend the pattern beyond the limits of what is written out."

SO KNIT ON, dear KAL partners!

DudeWithSticks
04-08-2008, 12:41 AM
SHHHHH! The boss stayed gone until about 4pm, so I got to round 56!!! Neener Neener!

You can leave your lifelines in til you're done, if ya want!

I'm not a chart reader, either! Now, I'm questioning whether the chart is different and I don't think it is. If I recall, in his blog page about the pattern, he states that the chart was done for the benefit of chart readers and you actually need to refer to the written pattern as you're reading the chart. I sat down and compared them and they appear to be the same thing. The chart is for the entire stitch pattern and he states that you'll start each increase row in the center of his chart. He also stated that the chart will help anyone wanting to make their Hemlock Ring larger by showing how the stitch pattern tier continues. I will either have to get used to the chart or write mine out because I'm planning on making this into a table cloth and will need at least 60" in diameter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I interpreted. Hmmm, might pay to ask the man, ya reckon? LOL! Oh where, oh where can our DUSTINAC be, oh where, oh where can she be???

I did email Jared and asked for this direct answers on this...yes, I know there's a Yahoo KAL, but wanted an answer from "THE MAN"!
I am sooooooooo jealous! You are 3/4 done. I'll catch up, calling in sick to work, I'll have my protien bars next to me, all three versions of Lord of the Rings. LOL
You are so great, asking the "Man". He does some amazining things and so talented. One of these days. LOL

DudeWithSticks
04-08-2008, 12:45 AM
I did receive a reply from Jared and am correct:

"Yes, the chart just visually represents what goes on in the written instructions, although it continues increasing in the Feather and Fan pattern beyond where the written pattern ends. If you want to make something 60 inches in diameter, you will need to extend the pattern beyond the limits of what is written out."

SO KNIT ON, dear KAL partners!
That's great M, and thanks for asking the "Man"! You are so great! Okay, sounds good about the written pattern. So, you just need to continue from row 86 and start the increase. And I think that is what I am going to do too.
That yarn better get here soon! grrrrrr...

DudeWithSticks
04-08-2008, 12:46 AM
OH...maybe since I am NOT doing anything with this pattern, I may just write out the chart and maybe M, you can double check it for me? heheh

DudeWithSticks
04-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Okay, haven't received an answer yet but did find this:

\ means- SSK (slip, slip, K2tog), left slanting decrease: Insert your R needle into 1 stitch on the left needle, as if to knit. Slip it from the L needle onto the R needle (this is called slipping knitwise). Slip a second stitch knitwise. Pass your left needle back through these two stitches, so that the L needle is in front of the R needle. You will note that your R needle is now positioned as if to knit through the back loops. Wrap yarn as usual around R needle, pull through both stitches, and drop both old stitches from the L needle.
Alternate - easier to understand, takes longer to do, looks exactly the same: S1 K1 PSSO

and the chart shows ssk where written instruction shows the S1, K1 PSSO. So there's a difference but not really, as shown in the "Alternate" explanation. It's probably just a matter of preference.
What do you all prefer? SSK or S1 K1 PSSO. I have done both, but what's the actual difference?

DudeWithSticks
04-08-2008, 01:04 AM
Here is a tip from one of the groups. And I think Mary you had this same problem and figured it out for yourself. :)
IMPORTANT - Row 35 ends with a K1 - leave off YO K1 YO

DudeWithSticks
04-08-2008, 01:28 AM
Here is a PDF that I created with the corrections on row 35.
It was originally written by hudcathy (http://profiles.yahoo.com/hudcathy).
It's more of an updated version of the original Hemlock Doily pattern, and I think it's easier to read.
So, check this pattern out as well...

DudeWithSticks
04-08-2008, 04:50 PM
Here is a PDF that I created with the corrections on row 35.
It was originally written by hudcathy (http://profiles.yahoo.com/hudcathy).
It's more of an updated version of the original Hemlock Doily pattern, and I think it's easier to read.
So, check this pattern out as well...

Okay, so after looking at this pattern, Mary and I decided that it may not be the pattern that we want to do. It's broken out differently.
Mary and I (Gino) will be reworking the charts and written instructions and come up with the best one possible. I am trying to write out the charted pattern from row/rnd 87 to row/rnd 121. And with the help from Mary, we'll get it up soon!
I hope to get my yarn in a few days! YAY...
and my new needles are getting restless!
HAHA...
If you are starting, round 35 should read like this...
Rnd 35: yo, k 1, yo, *sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, yo, k 4, yo, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, (yo, k 1) twice, sl 1, k 2 tog, psso, (k 1, yo) twice. Repeat from * around, ending with k1.

Karina
04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
I am using the chart that the Yahoo group send to you when you join their group and have had no problems with it at all.
line 35 goes like this you have 34 stitches on your needle.
0, K1, 0, sl1, k2tog, psso, 0, k4, 0, sl1, k2tog, psso, (0,k1) twice, sl1, k2tog, psso, k1, you have then used 17 stitches of the 34. then you repeat the process one more time to use the last 17 stitches. I have done up to row 37 and it looks good so far.

mwhite
04-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Sounds good! I'm using the original pattern and Brooklyn Tweeds chart. It really depends on whether you're going to finish your piece at round 87 or continue on.

The chart is expanded and goes to round 112.

DudeWithSticks
04-10-2008, 02:49 AM
Okay All you KAL Peeps!
After a LONG LONG conversation today with Mary, we have found out that there are a lot of variations of Jared's original pattern and if you look closely at a lot of them, they do look differnt than his pattern.
Mary and I are going to follow his pattern and try and come up with a written pattern that follows his original design.
But if you are starting or about to start, go ahead and get them on the needles.
The pattern really doesn't change until the 87th row. And hopefully by that time, we'll have some stuff written out for all of you!
Thanks All...
Also, we've both found out that the Yahoo Group is not so responsive even with over a thousand members. So, I think that if you are wanting to knit this... It's better to do it here where you'll get the help you need.
Gino

Karina
04-10-2008, 03:12 AM
When I look at Jared's chart it only goes to row 70 so when you talk of row 87 do you mean 46 rows from the original doily plus row 41 from Jared's chart = 87th row.
Did I write that correctly so it makes sense? The 46 rows plus the 70 rows make 116 in total. some people have expanded beyond that and knitted a 120 plus rounds is there a chart for that or is that what you and Mary are working on?
would love for mine to be at least 60 inches across.

mwhite
04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Jared's chart #1 coincides with the original pattern round #47, so I took a pencil and on the side of his chart, renumbered the increase rounds as 47, 52, 57, 62, 67, 72, 77, 82, 87, 92, 97, 102, 107 and 112.

Then, by using the original pattern and finding, on round 47, where his chart starts in accordance with the original pattern.... I drew a vertical line, at round 47, counting from right to left, at the 4th "O" over, from that point, straight up to the top of the chart. In other words, drew a line, on the graph line just before that "O" up the chart. This is where his chart and the original start on every round. He states in his blog that he started at the middle of the chart. And this is what he means when he tells you to follow along with the chart and the original written pattern.

Then he takes his chart beyond the 87th round and up to 112. If you're going to do one that's at least 60" in diameter, you'll more than likely need beyond the 112 and YES, this is what Gino and I are working on. The written original pattern actually stops at 87 and you bind off. His chart on 87 is another increase round. Each round, after round 47, increases the size of the stitch pattern by 4 stitches. All stitch counts are divisible by 8 and there are 8 scallops or tips from where the feather and fan starts until you bind off. Feather and fan is such a versatile stitch pattern!

Round 47 stitch pattern has 21 sts x 8 = 168 sts.
Round 52 " " " 23 sts x 8 = 184 sts.
Round 57 27 sts x 8 = 216 sts.... and so on...

All this information is good but I don't want anyone to get confused from overthinking, I've already done enough of that! LOL!

Karina, I'm doing a tablecloth of mine and will be doing a 60" diameter but using a medium/ heavy DK weight with size #6 needles, so my guage will be different than yours and I've got to go to 142 rounds or thereabout.

mwhite
04-10-2008, 10:10 AM
AND ONE MORE VERY VERY IMPORTANT THING:

Jared's chart should be read from right to left on ALL rounds.

DudeWithSticks
04-12-2008, 04:54 PM
GOT MY YARN! woo hoo... Okay kids, casting on today and I'll try and to photograph as I go along. Please keep in mind that I am not the greatist knitter but giving it a go!
Anyone else start besides Mary? I heard that she's on row 72. Darn that speed demon!
Happy knitting all and looking foward to see the progression of everyone elses ring.
Hey, that may be a great idea is to post your progression so that everyone can see what everyone elses looks like. ie; different yarns, needle sizes etc.
Maybe we can do that and post what round you are on as well as put in a ruler so we can actually see how big it is or something that is relative in the photo so we can see how big it is, ie; ruler, dollar bill, use your imgination!

Lisa1216
04-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I joined the Yahoo group and printed out the pattern/chart. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I actually frogged a sweater that I had never finished because I thought the yarn would be good to use for this. It's not a worsted weight, but I think it's a DK weight. It's Debbie Bliss Cotton/Angora. I'll have to check out ravelry to see what weight it is. Good luck DWS on starting today! I'll be there with ya tonight!

Karina
04-12-2008, 05:35 PM
I started mine as a test run with Sirdar Denim chunky which is what I had to hand. I have since found that somebody on ravelry used Sirdar Click chunky, which is also a wool blend, and they had trouble with blocking, said it did not lay completely flat. I am not to concerned about it not being completely flat as this first one will be for my kids to snuggle up in on the sofa. It is more important to me that I can throw it in the washing machine whenever the need arises. Will definitely make another one for me out of some nice yarn, maybe Malabrigo worsted weight. I have done 64 rows in total so far. would recommend that when you start on dpns that you use stitch markers on the halfway mark so you know when you start your next repeat. I did loose track a couple of times and trying to figure where the mistake is was quite hard at times. with the stitch markers at least you only have to go back to the point of where your repeat started.

DudeWithSticks
04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I joined the Yahoo group and printed out the pattern/chart. I'm going to try it and see how it goes. I actually frogged a sweater that I had never finished because I thought the yarn would be good to use for this. It's not a worsted weight, but I think it's a DK weight. It's Debbie Bliss Cotton/Angora. I'll have to check out ravelry to see what weight it is. Good luck DWS on starting today! I'll be there with ya tonight!
That's great Lisa. Good luck! I think that if you want to make it larger you'll have to do the same thing that Mary is doing, and hopefully we'll have it worked out before you get there.
I'll try and post some pics when I get the main part of the Doily done. I am going to transfer to 16" circular when I get to row 15 or 16. You are probably going to have to switch to circular a little later on since you are working with lighter weight yarn.
Gino

DudeWithSticks
04-12-2008, 06:28 PM
Great advice Karina...
Did they say how they blocked the blanket? A lot of people steam some do just wet towels over the item or they do wet blocking. I think for this, wet blocking is the best way to do that.
Malagribo, YUM, that sounds great. I would love to do one in that! But there are so many colors to choose from, and I'd be like I want that one and that one and that one and that one. LOL
Cheers and good luck!

Gino
I started mine as a test run with Sirdar Denim chunky which is what I had to hand. I have since found that somebody on ravelry used Sirdar Click chunky, which is also a wool blend, and they had trouble with blocking, said it did not lay completely flat. I am not to concerned about it not being completely flat as this first one will be for my kids to snuggle up in on the sofa. It is more important to me that I can throw it in the washing machine whenever the need arises. Will definitely make another one for me out of some nice yarn, maybe Malabrigo worsted weight. I have done 64 rows in total so far. would recommend that when you start on dpns that you use stitch markers on the halfway mark so you know when you start your next repeat. I did loose track a couple of times and trying to figure where the mistake is was quite hard at times. with the stitch markers at least you only have to go back to the point of where your repeat started.

mwhite
04-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Well, am up to round 75, looks kinda small, huh? LOL! It's really a pretty piece and I love the way it looks so far. Right now, it's measuring out about 24" in diameter, relaxed.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/th_002-1.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/002-1.jpg)

Lisa1216
04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I made it to round 49 :knitting: ! It really is a fun pattern. I looked up my yarn and it is a worsted weight. I'm knitting on size 9's with a 4.5 stitches per inch gauge. My only problem I think I'm going to have is that I only have a 32" cable. I may need to find a size 9 with something longer.
Mary-Your's looks very pretty!

DudeWithSticks
04-14-2008, 05:52 AM
Well, am up to round 75, looks kinda small, huh? LOL! It's really a pretty piece and I love the way it looks so far. Right now, it's measuring out about 24" in diameter, relaxed.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/th_002-1.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/002-1.jpg)

Ohhhhhhhh... that looks great Mary! I just made it through row 38. And just transferred onto 24" circulars. It was getting pretty tight and I really couldn't see what it looked like. When I transferred it onto the 24" I could see it a lot better. Now it looks like a beret!
I was on DPN's till about the 16th row and transferred them onto 16" circulars.
Lisa, I have 40" circulars, but you may be okay depending on how many rows you end up doing. It may be just a little tight on your needles. But I guess you'll be able to tell soon enough if you need to get the longer circs.

Karina
04-14-2008, 09:47 AM
I am using chunky yarn and 6.5mm needles that are 100cm long I am guessing that is the same as a 32 inch cable if you don't count the length of the needles.
so far I am on row 77 and have 344 stitches on the needle and have room for more without them ending up on the needles themselves. If you use a thinner yarn I imagine you will be OK, at least for a while, unless you are doing 140 or so rows like Mary. When I am not knitting on it the kids like to muck about and run around the house with it on their head they think I am making a giant hat.

Karina
04-14-2008, 09:48 AM
By the way Mary your blanket is beautiful.

Have you finished extending the chart for your blanket. would be interested to know how many stitches you will end up with.

mwhite
04-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Karina, I'm on #80 now, and should have the same as you at this point. Just went onto 40" circulars. I should end up with 792 sts. when completed. Haven done circular afghans before, I know for a fact that it does help with blocking to move the needle size up when nearing the last few increase rounds. Since I'm on size 6s now, will move up to 7s and may finish the last knit rounds and BO with 8s. I still have a long way to go and figure I'm at the halfway mark... I haven't finished extending the chart yet.

Karina
04-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Did not realize about the size increase, thanks for that bit of info. I think I will extend the pattern a bit, maybe by four or five increases. so by the time I finish the last increase on the chart I should go to a 7mm and then cast off in an 7.5mm would that work?
That is a shocking amount of stitches you will end up with. You will like work a row a day towards the end. Do they make bigger circulars than 40", I think you might need one. or use two circulars one for each half of stitches like you do on socks.
Can't wait to see the finished result.

mwhite
04-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I did this one, with over 540 sts. on 36" circulars and it really wasn't a problem. It was a scrap/leftover yarn piece and the yarns were heavy worsted, worsted and some bulky. The needle size was 10.5 and it is approximately 60" diameter.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/MMQC/Knitted%20Items/?action=view&current=002.jpg

Yes, I think going up from 7mm to 7.5mm would help. The outer edges want to curl up if your bind off is too tight. So I just go up on needle size to allow for that.

Karina
04-14-2008, 12:44 PM
That is a very nice afghan, love the little lace detail on the edge. I'm sure I have come agross this before. did you do a oval/rectangular one in green in might have been crochet?

mwhite
04-14-2008, 06:31 PM
The green and white on my photo site is going to be a felted rug, when I get back to it and it's knitted. I know how to crochet a little, just prefer knitting.

The edging on the multi colored circular afghan was taken from another gorgeous, piece someone sent to me for edging... Old Shale Tablecloth:http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/doilies/theresastablecloth.htm

DudeWithSticks
04-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Okay, up to round 47. I am now on 24" needles and it's getting a little scrunchy. Here's a pic to show you how it looks so far. Does anyone know when I should go onto the 40"ers? I think that if I had 32/36" I could have gone right on there.
Any sugesstions?

mwhite
04-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Hmmm, round 47 has 168 sts., that would be kinda tight on 40". You should be able to move onto 40's on about the 57th round. Just my opinion, with the worsted weight, you might be able to on the 52nd.

It looks great!

DudeWithSticks
04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Hmmm, round 47 has 168 sts., that would be kinda tight on 40". You should be able to move onto 40's on about the 57th round. Just my opinion, with the worsted weight, you might be able to on the 52nd.

It looks great!

THANKS! You're the best! I'll try that on the 52 or the 57 round. And see how actually tight it is getting. :)

mwhite
04-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I've finally reached Round 86 and had to stop and do the written instructions. Have managed to take the increase rounds up to Round 147:

87: O, k1 (9 times), * skp (7 times), k2tog (7 times), k1, (O, k1) (18 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (9 times) (408 sts)

92: O, k1 (9 times), * O, (skp) (8 times), k2tog (8 times), (O, k1) (19 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (10 times) (440 sts)

97: O, k1 (10 times), * k1, (skp) (8 times), k2tog (8 times), k2, (O, k1) (20 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (10 times) (472 sts)

102: O, k1 (11 times), * skp (9 times), k2tog (9 times), k1, (O, k1) (22 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (11 times) (504 sts)

107: O, k1 (11 times), * O, (skp) (10 times), k2tog (10 times), (O, k1) (23 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (12 times) (536 sts)

112: O, k1 (12 times), * K1, (skp) (10 times), k2tog (10 times), k2, (O, k1) (24 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (12 times) (568 sts)

117: O, k1 (13 times), * skp (11 times), k2tog (11 times), k1, (O,k1) (26 times) repeat from * around ending with O, k1 (13 times) (600 sts)

122: O, k1 (13 times),* O, (skp) (12 times), k2tog (12 times), (O, k1) (27 times) repeat from * around ending with O, k1 (14 times) (632 sts)

127: O, k1 (14 times),* k1, (skp) (12 times), k2tog (12 times), k2, (O, k1) (28 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (14 times) (664 sts)

132: O, k1 (15 times), *skp (13 times), k2tog (13 times), k1, (O, k1) (30 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (15 times) (696 sts)

137: O, k1 (15 times), * O, (skp) (14 times), k2tog (14 times), (O, k1) (31 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (16 times) (728 sts)

142: O, k1 (16 times), * k1, (skp) (14 times), k2tog (14 times), k2, (O, k1) (32 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (16 times) (760 sts)

147: O, k1 (17 times), * skp (15 times), k2tog (15 times), k1, (O, k1) (34 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (17 times) (792 sts)

Okay, this should be absolutely correct....

Karina
04-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Looking at the way you wrote it out when changing from from row 46 to 47 did you not just knit 9 and then place marker. that is what i did and my repeat starts with the K2tog x times. Don't tell me I have done it wrong all this time.

mwhite
04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I have followed the original instructions and Jared's chart throughout.

If you're using the method you describe, you'll begin each round with the K2tog, and knit as follows(example):

Round 87: * k2tog (7 times), k1, (O, k1) (18 times), skp (7 times) repeat from * around.

Karina
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Yep that is the way I do it and that is the round that I am on at this point in time.
It will be a test of how far I can take this now you done the chart. I might just have to do a few more rounds.

Lisa1216
04-16-2008, 01:14 PM
147: O, k1 (17 times), * skp (15 times), k2tog (15 times), k1, (O, k1) (34 times) repeat from *around ending with O, k1 (17 times) (792 sts)

Okay...this number of stitches scares me!! :shock:
Seriously...thanks Mary for working the pattern out for more rows! :hug:

mwhite
04-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Okay...this number of stitches scares me!! :shock:
Seriously...thanks Mary for working the pattern out for more rows! :hug:

LOL! It is scary, especially if you drop one of 'em! I'm like a mother hen when I'm working on these...NOBODY TOUCH THEM, PLEASE!!! I tend to drop my work and hurry off to answer the phone or catch the boiled over pot, too. Not with this!

DudeWithSticks
04-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Holy Crap Mary,
You're the best. I am going to add that to my instructions and print them out. I'll do a PDF and send it off to you for your approval...
Thanks!
I am on row 67... ugh... and have been so busy. But wanted to give it all my attention. The lifelines has saved me a few times already!
Hopefully will be done and getting ready to bind off on Monday or so.
:hug: :muah: :cheering: to Mary!

mwhite
04-17-2008, 08:16 AM
That'll work, then it'll be perfectly preserved! Honestly, when I did round 87, I screwed up on the 2nd to last set of k2togs and I thought- OMG, I've posted the written pattern and everybody will be mad at me... but it was mine only...WHEW!

SO, where is everybody and what's yer progress and I WANNA SEE PICS!!!

Lisa1216
04-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm on row 78. I'll try to get a picture tonight, but it's so bunched up on the needles I don't know how it'll look. I'll try to spread it out as much as I can.

Karina
04-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Here is a couple of photos of mine, put it on about 5 different circulars so I can just carry on knitting the stitches back on my 6.5mm. tried to spread it out as best as I could, think I will have to use a bit of force once it is off the needle. an doing round 90 at the moment.

here is a close-up

Lisa1216
04-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Karina~That's beautiful!!:inlove: I'm doing mine in an off white color too. How many rows are you going to do?

Karina
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
thank you Lisa. I am not sure probably not 141 but will keep going for a little while longer. Besides it doesn't look big to me maybe 3 foot across I don't know how much on average one of these grow when blocked. I guess it depends on the yarn used. My yarn is a wool/cotton/acrylic blend. This is just my first try, I will definitely make another one.

Karina
04-17-2008, 02:15 PM
Just thought, since my yarn is a washable yarn does it mean that everytime I was it I have to block it. when it is washed will it scrunch up again?

mwhite
04-17-2008, 03:27 PM
It really is pretty, Karina! Mine is in the off white/cream, too!

I don't think you'll have to reblock it but will want to lay it flat just as it comes out of the dryer.

mwhite
04-17-2008, 08:17 PM
OMG! Look at this one: http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/alita.html

DudeWithSticks
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
OMG! Look at this one: http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/alita.html

OMG... That is beautiful, but a little complicated for me I think. I didn't get a few of the directions...
I just got to row 74 and doing pretty good. I know I won't be done this weekend now at the rate that I am going. But getting into the rythm of the pattern now.
If I do go past row 112, I don't know if I may need to get longer circs. Do they make them longer than 60"? LOL
Since I am using Jared's original pattern and yarn, it's pretty bulky, but looking good.

DudeWithSticks
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Here is a couple of photos of mine, put it on about 5 different circulars so I can just carry on knitting the stitches back on my 6.5mm. tried to spread it out as best as I could, think I will have to use a bit of force once it is off the needle. an doing round 90 at the moment.

here is a close-up

That looks GREAT! I hope mine looks half as good when I get it done. I know I will have questions in regard to the bind off, so get ready kids... LOL
I think that my next one will be in off white/natural. (for the "MOM")

Karina
04-18-2008, 04:57 AM
I'm sure I will have questions about the bind off too. Im hoping mary will sort us out.

mary I found a load of patterns on a danish site, I think I have saved the one you linked to plus a few others.

Since doing this Hemlock I am looking at doilys in a whole new way, would like to make a few more of these patterns into blankets.

gargoylelib
04-18-2008, 07:26 AM
All the blankets are looking great! I just wanted to ask a quick
question if that's ok. I thought about joining in this KAL but
just don't really care for the Hemlock Ring pattern. Could any doily
done on a larger scale be made into a blanket or was there some
special mods done to this pattern to make it workable into a
blanket size? I've found a few doily patterns that I really like
the look of but I just do not have doily decor in my house but
the idea of the blanket is intriguing....

Libbie :)

mwhite
04-18-2008, 09:58 AM
All the blankets are looking great! I just wanted to ask a quick
question if that's ok. I thought about joining in this KAL but
just don't really care for the Hemlock Ring pattern. Could any doily
done on a larger scale be made into a blanket or was there some
special mods done to this pattern to make it workable into a
blanket size? I've found a few doily patterns that I really like
the look of but I just do not have doily decor in my house but
the idea of the blanket is intriguing....

Yes, Indeed, you CAN take any doily pattern and make it into a blanket or coverlet just by using larger needles and heavier yarn! There are some beautiful doilies out there!

mwhite
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
I'm sure I will have questions about the bind off too. Im hoping mary will sort us out.

mary I found a load of patterns on a danish site, I think I have saved the one you linked to plus a few others.

Since doing this Hemlock I am looking at doilys in a whole new way, would like to make a few more of these patterns into blankets.

LOL! I may have questions on the BO myself! IF I ever get there!

I'm like you, am looking at all the doilies with that "I can do this" attitude, too!

I want to find a nice one to make an oval tablecloth for my daughter. Only thing, most of them are super small and her table is 72" long..... :roll: Oh well, it's only time!

Karina
04-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Mary have looked through my saved patterns and none of them are oval.

the pattern that you posted and this one
http://www.flittigehaender.dk/pages/DSCN1124.html is going on my to do list.

If you are making them into table cloth are you going to use a really thin cotton or make it a bit thicker so it has more substance.

If I see an oval pattern I will post a link

mwhite
04-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Mary have looked through my saved patterns and none of them are oval.

the pattern that you posted and this one
http://www.flittigehaender.dk/pages/DSCN1124.html is going on my to do list.

If you are making them into table cloth are you going to use a really thin cotton or make it a bit thicker so it has more substance.

If I see an oval pattern I will post a link

Thanks! This one you've listed is gorgeous, too! I know it would mean a good bit of work but splitting the pattern and adding the sides would make a nice oval one....may be more than my pea brain can conceive.:roll:

I think the knit/cro-sheen would work nicely but it sure is tiny.:pout:

gargoylelib
04-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Yes, Indeed, you CAN take any doily pattern and make it into a blanket or coverlet just by using larger needles and heavier yarn! There are some beautiful doilies out there!

Ok great! These are the 3 that I have been saving because I think
they are lovely but just haven't been sure what to do with them. I
think a blanket project would be ideal!

http://yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/beyer/b1.html
http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/egeblad.html
http://www.yarnover.net/patterns/doilies/kunststrik/mommes.html

Your search for an oval pattern made me start wondering if
you could modify a lace stole pattern to be more oval shaped. Round
off the ends and widen it in the middle section....just a thought :)

Libbie

mwhite
04-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Now that makes sense, Libbie. I'll be looking at shawl patterns, too. You could just duplicate each side and like you say, add the middle. Thanks!

mwhite
04-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Okay, I've reached round 117, fixing to put 600 sts. on the needles! :woohoo: Still plugging along.... have 1/2 skein left and will have to get another 2 or 3 to reach my goal. :tap:
That's alright...several auctions going on with the TLC Cotton Plus Cream! :cheering:

Where is everybody??? Karina, Lisa, Gino, Libbie??????? One of us has GOT to get done so we can post and FO for all the KH world to see how beautimous these are!!! ;) ;) ;)

Rabbitrescuer
04-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Where is everybody??? Karina, Lisa, Gino, Libbie??????? One of us has GOT to get done so we can post and FO for all the KH world to see how beautimous these are!!! ;) ;) ;)

600 stitches :shock: Wow that is impressive! I'm sure I will be the last one done but I love seeing pics of what you guys have accomplished so far.

Karina
04-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm so impressed by the sheer amount of stitches that you have. Sorry am still on row 90 my daughter turns 2 on sunday and I am half way through knitting her a doll and had to stop to finish. after sunday I back on the case again.

mwhite
04-23-2008, 11:45 AM
OOPS, sorry Christina, didn't realize you were doing one, too! Gotta see it!

Oh yeah, Karina, gotta get that dolly done!

The 600 sts is kinda scary so I count on each round. I make sure that I'm completely alone and no distractions so that helps!

Rabbitrescuer
04-23-2008, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=mwhite;1099527]OOPS, sorry Christina, didn't realize you were doing one, too! Gotta see it!QUOTE]

That's ok I've been so quiet I was easy to overlook. This is my first go with dpn's & I have to say if I didn't love this pattern I would give up! I Feel like an awkward & very confused kid with these things. But I will perservere b/c I want my blanket. That being said I have no pics yet since I am still in the single digits as far as rounds go. Hmmm maybe I should change my name to frog :ick:

1to1
04-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi all!

Just wanted to share that I've made the Hemlock Ring and the Eceblad. While I enjoyed making the Eceblad more, it only measures 3-1/2' wide...its a nice baby blanket size but not big even for a throw unless you extend the pattern. If anyone does, please let me know I'd love to make a bigger one.

I'm working on the Alita...having frog issues but I think I've got it going now. I'll let you know how big it turns out to be.

My tip is that STITCH MARKERS ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!

Have fun,
Carla

Lisa1216
04-23-2008, 02:23 PM
:waving: Everyone!
Mary~ 600 STITCHES!! :yay: for you in getting so far.

Karina~Have fun on DD's birthday. Her gift must come first! :)

Libbie~Thanks for the pattern links :thumbsup:

Christina~Sorry you're frogging so much. I started mine on magic loop. I haven't used dpn since learning ML.

Carla~Yours are beautiful. :inlove: Where is the best place to put the stitch markers? I'm on row 92 and haven't been using them. Should I put one between the k2togs and SKPs?

Yoohoo...Gino????

I'll try to get a pic of it, but I'm still using a 32" circ and it's pretty bunched up. Maybe I can get half of it spread out some.

mwhite
04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
OMG!!! Carla, too!!! Yours are so gorgeous, the Eceblad is amazing!! Can't wait to see the Alita all spread out! Great Job, beautiful work!

Where is our fearless leader???? Off photographing those skinny models, I bet! LOL!

DudeWithSticks
04-23-2008, 03:31 PM
[quote=mwhite;1099527]OOPS, sorry Christina, didn't realize you were doing one, too! Gotta see it!QUOTE]

That's ok I've been so quiet I was easy to overlook. This is my first go with dpn's & I have to say if I didn't love this pattern I would give up! I Feel like an awkward & very confused kid with these things. But I will perservere b/c I want my blanket. That being said I have no pics yet since I am still in the single digits as far as rounds go. Hmmm maybe I should change my name to frog :ick:
OH... just be patient. At first I felt the same way and I was thinking to myself, I started this KAL and can't even do it myself. LOL, but all the tips and help that I got on here made me really do it and once you get on the circulars, it's sooooooooooooooooo much easier. If you have 16" circs, you can transfer your work (if you are using the cascade or bulky yarn, around round 13-15) it's a little tight but it will get looser as you knit along.
So far I went from dpn's to 16" to 24" and then to 40". I am on row 92 and knitting right along.
Just be patient and once you start to see the pattern appear, you'll want to finish it.
Good luck.
I am knitting with the written instructions and wrote them out manually as well as what good ole Mary did with the extended rows. So far so good, and haven't made an error with the copied written instructions. I will post them when I am finished so that I know there weren't any mistakes on my part.
Good luck all!

DudeWithSticks
04-23-2008, 04:05 PM
:waving: Everyone!
Mary~ 600 STITCHES!! :yay: for you in getting so far.

Karina~Have fun on DD's birthday. Her gift must come first! :)

Libbie~Thanks for the pattern links :thumbsup:

Christina~Sorry you're frogging so much. I started mine on magic loop. I haven't used dpn since learning ML.

Carla~Yours are beautiful. :inlove: Where is the best place to put the stitch markers? I'm on row 92 and haven't been using them. Should I put one between the k2togs and SKPs?

Yoohoo...Gino????

I'll try to get a pic of it, but I'm still using a 32" circ and it's pretty bunched up. Maybe I can get half of it spread out some.

Hey All
Lisa- I'm around... here and picking up where I left off...
Mary- Yeah, working. No, not actually photographing skinny models this time. Actually, guys with spectacular bodies this time. :P And 600 stitches. WOW... :yay: Can't wait till I get there.
Karina- Looking forward to seeing your progress and yes, family does come first and glad to see you back.
Libby- Some of those patterns are just beautiful. There was in particular that I smell a new pattern for a lap blanket. And I think that it went to 110 rounds so if you are using bulky weight yarn, you may not have to do any increases with the pattern! YAY
Christina- Good luck and left you a previous message! I tried the magic loop method and didn't like it all that much, I do like DPN's better at this time. But who knows, I am so fickle. I may love it next week. LOL
Carla- They are just amazing and thanks for posting the photos. I don't know if you are talking about the hemlock ring, but you should look through this thread. Mary posted more repeats so that you can make the ring larger and depending on the size yarn and needles you are using, you can make an afghan!
LISA ONE MORE TIME- OMG! I can't believe that you aren't using stitch markers. I don't know if this is how you do it, but for me I place a marker after every repeat. When you start the next row of increases, you'll have a certain amt of stitches left over before your marker. I take the marker out and place it after my repeat that I just finished. You usually have the same amt of stitches left over after every repeat. So that's a great way to see if you are on track. But I count and go over my stitches after every repeat. Never know when you may miss a yo or do too many k2tog etc. Does everyone else place markers the same way?
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO getting back the hemlock ring lap blanket... I am around for the next few days and was working up a storm for the past week and no time to do even a knit round. I am trying my best to get this done...
I was originally going to keep this for myself as a practice one to see if I could actually do something this JYNORMOUS (as "Elf" would say) but it's actually turning out better than I expected and with the blocking I think it's going to look great. I am going to attempt to get this done by next week so that I can give it to my best friend for her 40th. We're celebrating in Kaui! But it has to be blocked and ready to go by May 2. Hopefully I can do a knitting marathon in the next few days.
Anyway, I digress...
I am on row 94 and I guess that 600 stitches are where a lot of people in a lot of the groups stopped. I am using the actual yarn (cascade eco wool in latte) that Jared used on his modified pattern. I may (if I have the time) do a few more rounds just to make it a little bit larger. But I don't think that my 40" circulars will hold that many stitches. I haven't looked, but are there longer circs than 40"? I am using the Addi bamboo and just love them. But that is the longest length they make them in. I am afraid that if I have to use metal needles (if they don't make them in bamboo) that my stitches will be off.
Any suggestions?
Good luck everyone and :grphug: for all the updates and support here at KH.
Hmmmmm, I think that Mary is going to be done first... even with her extended rows! :thumbsup:

Karina
04-23-2008, 04:34 PM
Christina if you don't get on with the dpn why don't you try knitting on two circular needles just as you would when you knit socks. divide the stitches in half use one circular to knit one half then use the other circular to knit the rest of the stitches. and definitely use stitch markers , I didn't and had a lot of trouble to start with once you have done the star its all plain sailing.

Carla Amazing blankets great job

Gino if you get into trouble with to many stitches you could always try using two circulars to knit with as well. Hope you manage to finish it in time for your friend birthday

A lot of talk was going on on the yahoo group about doing the Lyra by Herbert Niebling. I was keeping an eye out for a pattern of it on eBay. One just went for $235.50. just a tad more than I ever want to pay for a knitting pattern.

Rabbitrescuer
04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Christina if you don't get on with the dpn why don't you try knitting on two circular needles just as you would when you knit socks. divide the stitches in half use one circular to knit one half then use the other circular to knit the rest of the stitches. and definitely use stitch markers , I didn't and had a lot of trouble to start with once you have done the star its all plain sailing.

Haven't tried socks on 2 circulars yet either. But Lisa was kind enough to give me some magic loop pointers & I plan to frog & try again that way. So wish me luck................

mwhite
04-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Hmmm, well I guess everybody was just being too quiet!!! LOLOL! So glad it's all coming together.

I've never done socks on two circulars but I suggested to Gino that he use several extra circulars and work it like DPNs if the sts get too crowded.

Another trick, tip, whatever..... You might consider changing up a size on your needles for the last couple of increase rounds/knit rounds so that your blocking won't be so tight. It might seem a tad strange but the "Knit Police" won't be able to tell and neither will you except the fact that blocking the outer edges will be easier.

You might even try dividing the sts onto two or three circulars of the same size and knitting alternately with a needle size up. This will give your loops a little stretch and you can stay on the same needle size. No need for this to be treacherous!

I'm using ONE stitch marker!!! Am I the red-headed stepchild? LOLOL!!! Yes, I'm sweating when I do the increase rounds but everybody gets run outa the house so I won't drop any stitches or screw up! But honestly, look at your sts and you can actually see what the skps, k2togs and yo,k1 look like... where the skps and k2togs meet, one leans to the left and the other leans to the right! Believe me, I've frogged and tinked several times but learned to look at those sts.

DudeWithSticks
04-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Hmmm, well I guess everybody was just being too quiet!!! LOLOL! So glad it's all coming together.

I've never done socks on two circulars but I suggested to Gino that he use several extra circulars and work it like DPNs if the sts get too crowded.

Another trick, tip, whatever..... You might consider changing up a size on your needles for the last couple of increase rounds/knit rounds so that your blocking won't be so tight. It might seem a tad strange but the "Knit Police" won't be able to tell and neither will you except the fact that blocking the outer edges will be easier.

You might even try dividing the sts onto two or three circulars of the same size and knitting alternately with a needle size up. This will give your loops a little stretch and you can stay on the same needle size. No need for this to be treacherous!

I'm using ONE stitch marker!!! Am I the red-headed stepchild? LOLOL!!! Yes, I'm sweating when I do the increase rounds but everybody gets run outa the house so I won't drop any stitches or screw up! But honestly, look at your sts and you can actually see what the skps, k2togs and yo,k1 look like... where the skps and k2togs meet, one leans to the left and the other leans to the right! Believe me, I've frogged and tinked several times but learned to look at those sts.
Thanks for the advice as always Mary. And I can't believe that you aren't using markers as well. HOLY MOLY!
I love SM (ummm that was stitch markers) :P And I can't live witout them especially if you are doing a long pattern repeat of 300 plus stitches. It's just easier for me to keep track and count my rows. So, If I did mess up in my repeat, I'll be able to tell where it was when I was counting.
And Mary you are so right. I really like this feather and fan pattern and you can tell exactly what stitches you have and also what they look like. I'll take a photo of mine once I get them on the other needles. Right now it looks like a BIG SACK! So, not need to show you peeps what I have now.
Good luck and speak up everyone! We're here to help or at least give moral support. :thumbsup:
Cheers!

gargoylelib
04-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi all!

Just wanted to share that I've made the Hemlock Ring and the Eceblad. While I enjoyed making the Eceblad more, it only measures 3-1/2' wide...its a nice baby blanket size but not big even for a throw unless you extend the pattern. If anyone does, please let me know I'd love to make a bigger one.

I'm working on the Alita...having frog issues but I think I've got it going now. I'll let you know how big it turns out to be.

My tip is that STITCH MARKERS ARE YOUR FRIEND!!!

Have fun,
Carla

Those are beautiful! What type of yarn and needle size did you use
for the Egeblad? It is so pretty and if could get a similar size I have
a new niece or nephew on the way that it would make a perfect
gift for!

A lot of talk was going on on the yahoo group about doing the Lyra by Herbert Niebling. I was keeping an eye out for a pattern of it on eBay. One just went for $235.50. just a tad more than I ever want to pay for a knitting pattern.

Yeah, I'm gonna run out and get that pattern! I've been feeling
hesitant to pay the $12 for the Heere Be Dragone shawl pattern...
yeah ok, I'm cheap! :D Wouldn't the dragon shawl make a
cool blanket? That is my plan anyway....I love dragons hehe

Go knitters go!:cheering:

mwhite
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=gargoylelib;1099897

Yeah, I'm gonna run out and get that pattern! I've been feeling
hesitant to pay the $12 for the Heere Be Dragone shawl pattern...
yeah ok, I'm cheap! :D Wouldn't the dragon shawl make a
cool blanket? That is my plan anyway....I love dragons hehe

Go knitters go!:cheering:
Libbie :)[/QUOTE]

YEGADS!!! Guess I'm a cheapo, too! I can just see explaining that on the CC bill! :tap: :tap: :tap: Uh, well, I'm gonna sell it after it's made for twice that! Yeah, right! :whistle: :roll: I'd be in the doghouse forever!

Karina
04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Libby just looked up the dragon shawl and found about 3 other pattern I wanted. the dragon, the pegasus and the giant reflections shawl. Stopped looking after that. Have no money at the moment to spend.
All three of my kids birthdays are within a 5 week period. I really should have planned my pregnancies a bit better.

1to1
04-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi! :waving:

I used/am using Cascade Ecological Wool 8014 with US Size 10 - 40" Addi Turbos. I did Magic Loop so I didn't have to use DPN or any other sizes but using two circulars would work great too.

I put a green (go) stitch markers between each repeat and then a red one (stop) at the beginning of the round. These are my favorite markers (http://www.knitpicks.com/locking%20stitch%20markers_ADLockingStitchMarkers. html?Media=SLI0001).

Mary, Thanks for extending the Hemlock Ring pattern...when I make that again I'll be sure to use it. :hug:Would you be interested in extending the Eceblad?!?!? :pray:

The Alita is coming along...I'm finally past where I had to frog back. The pattern isn't hard so I don't know why I kept messing up around Rnd 9. Now, I'm on Rnd 50 but just found out that my LYS is out of the Eco Wool 8014 but she ordered it for me and it should be here 5/2. Hopefully, this will still give me time to finish it by Mother's Day.

Knit on,
Carla

1to1
04-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Karina,

The Reflection Shawl (http://www.thealpacayarnco.com/images/PT34.jpg)is amazing but make sure you check out the errata. (http://www.thealpacayarnco.com/Errata%20Sheets.htm) Umm, it is already so big (58"x58")....can you imagine how big it would be using bulky yarn and size 10 needles?!?

Off to ravel it to see if anyone has made it bigger.

Thanks,
Carla

Karina
04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for that, if you ordered the pattern after they found errors in it would they also send the errata sheet.

The size of the reflections is what first struck me, would definitely not have to extend that thing. maybe do it in a DK, i think that is light worsted weight over there. I would hope it would fit on my 6 by 6 foot 6 bed.

mwhite
04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Mary, Thanks for extending the Hemlock Ring pattern...when I make that again I'll be sure to use it. :hug:Would you be interested in extending the Eceblad?!?!? :pray:

Carla

Yep, :pray: is right! LOL! I printed off both the Egeblad and the Alita today. I hate it when there's no stitch count!!! All I can do is tell you I'll try. It took me a couple of days to understand the timing of the Hemlock but there is a method to the madness. You don't happen to know a source for the stitch counts do you?

DudeWithSticks
04-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Update... LOL
I am on row 106 and getting ready to do my next increase... So far I have 504 stitches. And OMG, does it take a long time to go around when you have four rounds of knitting. hahaha
I am trying to get to at least 112 before I hit the sack. Don't know if that will happen, but it's my goal.
And Mary, I might just catch up with you!!! (since she's waiting for her suppy)
I don't think that I will go as far as Mary's directions, but may go as far as Jared's extended pattern. (his ended at row 112 and I think that I will go to row 122 with four rows of knit and the bind off. So I guess it will be a little bit larger than four feet. I'll let you all know when I get to block it.
How's everyone else doing?

1to1
04-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Mary, Don't do it just for me. Only if you're going to make them and wanted them bigger too. I'm afraid that with the Eceblad it will be more difficult with how the pattern is. I'll check to see if I wrote down the stitch count. And with the Alita I don't know if I'm ever going to make it to the last section.

The Alita keeps kicking my bu++. I made it to Rnd 54 and am back at Rnd 43...yup, I finally put in a lifeline. I just need to pay more attention after each round but sometimes you can't tell there is a mistake until you've gone a little further. This last time it wasn't that noticeable but somewhere I didn't K2tog in the right spot and it made the diamond border look off. Darn, I should have taken a picture. I'm counting each section of each round so hopefully, I can get this finished without anymore frogging. :frog:

WinterOfEternity
04-27-2008, 12:49 AM
Hello Everyone...=)

I haven't posted yet but I have been knitting along with you on the Hemlock Ring Blanket.

I am now on Row 89 and have 408 stitches on my 40" cable

This is a beautiful Blanket to knit and I have loved knitting it along with you ! I have read every post and enjoy each and every comment...=)

Everyone's blanket looks so beautiful and like everyone else, I haven't a clue as to where I will stop. I am loving the knitting process on this blanket so much that I actually hate to stop.

I know that I will knit up to where Jared stopped his blanket, but I am so tempted to work thru Mary's written instructions too.

When I get closer to Row 121, I will make that decision then. I know that I have enough yarn to keep going and I am so tempted. I like large cuddly blankets.

Here is a picture of my progress. I am using Cascade Yarns Ecological wool in color # 8010. I would call it candlelight myself, or a light cream color.

When I started this blanket, I chose this color in case I wanted to Dye the wool to a light pastel, but after working with it, I have decided to leave the color as is. It will go with anything and the natural color seems very pleasing to my eyes.

I am in love with this yarn and Jared was right when he said it is a "Workhorse" yarn. I can see myself using it over again and
again. I think its a winner and with this pattern you can't go wrong.

DudeWithSticks
04-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Hello Everyone...=)

I haven't posted yet but I have been knitting along with you on the Hemlock Ring Blanket.

I am now on Row 89 and have 408 stitches on my 40" cable

This is a beautiful Blanket to knit and I have loved knitting it along with you ! I have read every post and enjoy each and every comment...=)

Everyone's blanket looks so beautiful and like everyone else, I haven't a clue as to where I will stop. I am loving the knitting process on this blanket so much that I actually hate to stop.

I know that I will knit up to where Jared stopped his blanket, but I am so tempted to work thru Mary's written instructions too.

When I get closer to Row 121, I will make that decision then. I know that I have enough yarn to keep going and I am so tempted. I like large cuddly blankets.

Here is a picture of my progress. I am using Cascade Yarns Ecological wool in color # 8010. I would call it candlelight myself, or a light cream color.

When I started this blanket, I chose this color in case I wanted to Dye the wool to a light pastel, but after working with it, I have decided to leave the color as is. It will go with anything and the natural color seems very pleasing to my eyes.

I am in love with this yarn and Jared was right when he said it is a "Workhorse" yarn. I can see myself using it over again and
again. I think its a winner and with this pattern you can't go wrong.
Welcome Winter and so glad you posted your photo. It looks fantastic. I think that I ordered the same yarn to knit one for my Mom.
I am on row 116 (568 sts) I don't know how far I am going to go as well. I think that I may go to row 127 for my final increase. But it's getting tighter and tighter on the 40" needles. Mary suggested that I put them on a few different circs to make it easier. But I just don't want to get anymore confused as I am down to the wire. LOL
So, I'll see just how much I can get on the 40" needles before it's too tight. Then I'll start my bind off.
Good luck and I'll let everyone know where I end up on. I actually just ordered a 60" circ for the next one and I think that I will be able to do all of Mary's increases.
That will probably end up being a pretty large blanket, especially with the eco wool.
Good luck all and where is everyone?!?!?!?!?

Karina
04-27-2008, 05:10 AM
Hi Louann you blanket is beautiful. if you carry on with mary pattern let us know how many skeins of yarn you will use up. I can't get that yarn here in the UK. I might have to find out how much the postage would be to get it over here.

Does any of the companies that you all uses do international shipping?

Gino would love to see a picture of your progress.

WinterOfEternity
04-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Reposted = I have changed my Sn to get everything under the same name as my e-mail, to make things easier for me. please pardon my mistakes. WinterOfEternity/LadyM

Dude = [ Welcome Winter and so glad you posted your photo. It looks fantastic. I think that I ordered the same yarn to knit one for my Mom. ]

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you sneeking a peek. I love the color that you chose for your blanket and I plan on making another in your color as well. I will use it on my couch, as this one is for the guest bedroom.

Dude = [ I am on row 116 (568 sts) I don't know how far I am going to go as well. I think that I may go to row 127 for my final increase. But it's getting tighter and tighter on the 40" needles. ]

I am using my Denise interchangables with the 40" cable at the monent. I have the 52" cable and enough yarn to extend my blanket to the end of Mary's instructions. Thank you Mary for taking the time to provide us with the extension. I know that it takes a lot of time to actually work a graph of a pattern and a lot of talent to get it all right. You're the Best !!!

Karina = [ Hi Louann you blanket is beautiful. if you carry on with mary pattern let us know how many skeins of yarn you will use up. ]

Thank you Karina, I am glad that you took the time to sneek a peek too....=). I am at the end of Row 91 this morning and I am getting ready to start my second skein of yarn. Eco Wool has a huge 478 yarns per skein, so it goes a long way. I bought plenty ( 4 skeins ) in the beginning so I know that I have way more than enough to keep knitting on. I will keep everyone posted on how much yarn that I have used and how much I have left after I get thru Mary's extention. I am pretty sure that I may have enough to make a circular pillow from the pattern to go with the blanket. I will keep everyone posted on that as well.

Karina = [ can't get that yarn here in the UK. I might have to find out how much the postage would be to get it over here.
Does any of the companies that you all uses do international shipping? ]

I don't know much about international shipping, But I bought my yarn on sale at Webs ( yarn.com ), you can check their to see of they ship internationally. let me know if I can help you out in any way.

Well im off to the home depot to get more flowers for my porch and then I will settle down to knitting this afternoon. Everyone have a great day and keep on knitting. This blanket may take a while, but from what I have seen from your photo's, all the work is worth every moment and this winter we can all snuggle up in out blankets and that will be our great reward for finishing !!! LOL

Knit On !!!!!!!!!!

Louann

mwhite
04-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Love your pics, Louann and great that you've been with us the whole time!!! Seems that we have way more people involved everyday! I'm on hold for about a week, waiting for more yarn to come in.... have been playing around with the Egeblad, that Carla's done...so pretty, too. I want to extend it as well. And I'm out playing in the yard today... so many flowers/plants to repot and put in the ground.... just not enough hours in the weekend to suit me! Love y'all!

Lisa1216
04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Welcome Louann! Glad you've joined us. Yours is very pretty!

I'm on row 105 and I need to get a bigger cable. I'm still using the 32" and it's getting pretty tight.

Gino~You're cruising right along! I hope you get it finished in time!

Mary~ I'm thinking of the doing the Egeblad next or the hemlock again in a different yarn and color.

Have a good day everyone!

DudeWithSticks
04-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Louann you blanket is beautiful. if you carry on with mary pattern let us know how many skeins of yarn you will use up. I can't get that yarn here in the UK. I might have to find out how much the postage would be to get it over here.

Does any of the companies that you all uses do international shipping?

Gino would love to see a picture of your progress.
Hi Karina,
As Loann stated, go to www.yarn.com (http://www.yarn.com) and they are actually having a sale on the eco wool through Memorial Day which is the second week in May? So you still have time.
Here is the link:
http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/1122/
On sale from $15.00 per hank to $10.49 per hank. Even if it says it's out of stock they will back order it for you and ship when they get it. They have the best customer service and I would order from them again and again. They also do international shipping as well, and charge normal postal rates plus $1.00 handling charge. And with your exchange being what it is, it's a great deal for you.
If you plan on doing all rounds via all of Mary's increases, then you need to get three hanks. You'll have some left over I think.
But as of right now, I am on row 122 getting ready for my second to last increase before I bind off and I will be getting into my third hank.
Hope that helps...
Pics coming in next post.

Gino

DudeWithSticks
04-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Hi All,
Okay, here are some pics... I am on row 122 and getting ready to do my second to the last increase. I don't think that my needles will hold anymore and I think that it's a good place to stop and start to bind off.
I am sort of freaked out by the bind off so, hopefully one of you ladies that have completed this could help me out.
It was hard to get a decent photo of what it actually looks like since it's gettting pretty tight and hard to spread out. But hopefully you'll be able to see what 600 stitches look like on the eco wool and the 40" cables.
And the little ball of yarn, that is almost finished and will be finishing my second hank.(about 956 yds) Then going into my third hank, probably not too much into it, but who knows!
Good luck all and Mary, when are you getting your yarn?

mwhite
04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I looks WONDERFUL!!! Mine looks the same way...all scrunched up on my 40"ers. I bought my yarn yesterday, it shipped today and I should see it about Wednesday...keeping my fingers crossed. Don'tcha feel kinda sad that it's almost done? And yet, when your "Giftee" receives it, you'll be all smiles and proud!

DudeWithSticks
04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Dude = [ Welcome Winter and so glad you posted your photo. It looks fantastic. I think that I ordered the same yarn to knit one for my Mom. ]

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you sneeking a peek. I love the color that you chose for your blanket and I plan on making another in your color as well. I will use it on my couch, as this one is for the guest bedroom.

I went a little eco crazy myself...
three hanks in each color...
8049 is quite beautiful in person. they call it tarnish and it's a great color as well. I think that I may order more of this colorway to make something else out of it.
I didn't get the 8010 as I thought I did. But got the 8015 which is a true natural. Do you like the shade Louann? I may get that as well, just to maybe tea stain it or coffee stain it, or like you just leave it alone. :)

DudeWithSticks
04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
I looks WONDERFUL!!! Mine looks the same way...all scrunched up on my 40"ers. I bought my yarn yesterday, it shipped today and I should see it about Wednesday...keeping my fingers crossed. Don'tcha feel kinda sad that it's almost done? And yet, when your "Giftee" receives it, you'll be all smiles and proud!
Thanks M, you made my day! :hug:
Good to see you're getting your yarn soon, and maybe it was good that you took a break from it. I am on an agenda, and I know I'll be done by Saturday now. Nice and blocked too.
And yes, the giftee better like it or I'll hit her over the head with a pineapple! Yeah, I do feel sad that it's almost over, but actually glad at the same time. So, I can start on one of my two scarves that I left in the dust. :P Or start another hemlock in another colorway or maybe start another doily pattern. (hehehe) I'll have to send you a link and bribe you to help me with it, ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR we can start another KAL. :D

mwhite
04-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh good.... let me tempt you! LOLOL!!! The Alita and the Egeblad are both absolutely gorgeous.... And Carla's done both of them! I'm playing with some super thin yarn on size 2 needles on the Egeblad. It's not difficult...so far and I wanna do it in some 5/2 or 3/2 for another tablecloth. And OMG, there are tons of nice doily patterns on the Yarnover site.

domiknitrix
04-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi everyone!

I would love to join. I have been oogling this pattern since it came out. But have been kinda scared to tackle. Is it to late to join?

DudeWithSticks
04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone!

I would love to join. I have been oogling this pattern since it came out. But have been kinda scared to tackle. Is it to late to join?
Hi D,
No, it's not too late to start. There are people that are in different parts of this pattern and some are doing a second one as well. (I am after I finish my first)
We are here to help and give support and I do believe that this KAL is a little better than the yahoo group. As you get an answer very quickly and not have to sift through all the 1500+ messages.
In the next day or so, I will be posting a PDF of hand written directions that follow Jared's "Original" pattern. And not an offshoot of it. There are so many variations of this pattern that has since come out and Mary and I wanted to keep up the continuity of his pattern.
Mary (:muah: ) has worked hard to increase the rounds and I owe her all the fame and give her all the credit to this.
I have knitted up to round 122 and everything is perfect from my copied directions from the original to Mary's extentions.
So, feel free to start with the original pattern and I'll have the rest in PDF form by the time you have to continue.
Welcome and feel free to ask away and that goes to anyone and everyone that wants to start.
Cheers,

Gino

Karina
04-29-2008, 05:36 AM
welcome domiknitrix, never to late. I am on row 90 and just love this pattern and will definitely make another.

Gino thanks for the info. I did check out the site and may just fill a box. Great about them back ordering the yarn at the sale price. will email them to find out about postage. Have found out that there is a flat rate box costing $36 to send to the UK so want to find out how many skeins could fit in one of them might as well get my moneys worth.

Your hemlock looks great. can't wait to see blocked photos of it, what colour is it again, if I remember right it is one that is sold out at yarn.com. may get them to order some for me.

Karina
04-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Hi again. I have just tried to email yarn.com. there is no email address, you just have to click on customer service sign and it should take you straight to email. the problem that I have is that my computer is not set up to do this function so it won't let me email them.

I was wondering if one of you guys that have shopped at yarn.com have an actual email address on one of the invoices or something that you could let me have. Or alternatively email them for me and ask how many of the Eco wool would fit in a prepaid mailing box that cost $36 to the UK. Sorry to ask but I would hate to miss the deadline. On the web site it says that this is the last week.

Thanks for your help.

DudeWithSticks
04-29-2008, 06:12 AM
welcome domiknitrix, never to late. I am on row 90 and just love this pattern and will definitely make another.

Gino thanks for the info. I did check out the site and may just fill a box. Great about them back ordering the yarn at the sale price. will email them to find out about postage. Have found out that there is a flat rate box costing $36 to send to the UK so want to find out how many skeins could fit in one of them might as well get my moneys worth.

Your hemlock looks great. can't wait to see blocked photos of it, what colour is it again, if I remember right it is one that is sold out at yarn.com. may get them to order some for me.
Hi Karina,
Just finished round 127 and can't really get anymore increases on the needles. LOL
I have a few yards left of the two hanks. And going to finish it off on the third hank. I think that if you do all of Mary's increases, three hanks will be just enough. I'll let you know how much I have left over when I complete my four rows on knit and the bind off. (well, I can kind of estimate) :)
As far as the color it's colorway 8063. (latte) I purchased quite a few of the colors and all of them are beautiful. And they are all natural colors of the sheep and not dyed.
What I would suggest is that you write to them first and ask them all the questions you need to ask. The customer service people there are the best! They get back to you in less than 24 hours and are very through.
As far as placing a backorder, I placed a few of them and they usually get the order out in a few days. Also, when you place your order, you'll have the option to have all of your orders shipped together.
Hope that helps! But do write to them, they are wonderful to deal with and I just can't speak highly enough of them.
Cheers,

Gino

DudeWithSticks
04-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Hi again. I have just tried to email yarn.com. there is no email address, you just have to click on customer service sign and it should take you straight to email. the problem that I have is that my computer is not set up to do this function so it won't let me email them.

I was wondering if one of you guys that have shopped at yarn.com have an actual email address on one of the invoices or something that you could let me have. Or alternatively email them for me and ask how many of the Eco wool would fit in a prepaid mailing box that cost $36 to the UK. Sorry to ask but I would hate to miss the deadline. On the web site it says that this is the last week.

Thanks for your help.

Here you go!
customerservice@yarn.com
Okay off to bed, it's after 3:00 AM here on the West Coast. I will have the HR finished by tomorrow night... maybe, if I don't get the bind off. :)

Karina
04-29-2008, 08:02 AM
tried to email, and it returned it undelivered, something about permanent failure or something. is there another address or a phone no that is not free phone. Toll free does not work from abroad. Thanks

domiknitrix
04-29-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone, I am so ready to jump in. I will look at Webs and see if there are any yarn left.. I would love to do a pretty blue. If not I will just purchase something. I can't to get started.

Lisa1216
04-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Welcome domiknitrix! Glad you're jumping in. it really is an easy pattern once you get started. Any questions...just ask!

Gino~ It looks great! :cheering: I think I'm going to do another one or a different pattern once I finish this one. Maybe we could just keep this KAL going with different doily patterns as afghans.

Karina~I'll try calling Webs today to see if there is another number you can use.

domiknitrix
04-29-2008, 08:54 AM
Question: Did you guys use a size 10 or 12 dpn?

Karina
04-29-2008, 09:01 AM
domiknitrix - it would depend on what yarn you decide to use. I started this at a try it to see if I could do it, using a yarn that I had (Sirdar denim chunky) using 6.5mm needles, worked out well so just kept going. I think it also depends how you like the end result. very open lace or not. If i was you I would buy the yarn that you really love and then try knitting a bit on a couple of different size needles.

Lisa1216
04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
domiknitrix~I'm using size 9's with a worsted weight yarn.

Karina~ I called Webs and the girl in customer service said they charge shipping by the weight of the package and go by what the post office would charge to ship. So you can order 2 skeins or 20, it all depends on the weight of the box. There is no $36 packaging charge. Also their direct phone # is 413-584-2225. Hope this helps!

ETA: I think I misunderstood your post about the flat rate box. I went back and reread your post and now I understand what you meant. Sorry if I'm confusing.

mwhite
04-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi everyone!

Never too late! Welcome Domiknitrix!!! Slide in beside one of us and have a great time...this is a beautiful pattern! :cheering: :thumbsup:

domiknitrix
04-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone!! I really wanted to go with a nice muted blue color, but decided to go with the Eco (especially since it is on sale) and next time (I know there will be one) go with the eco plus. So, I place my order and now the waiting game begins!!

DudeWithSticks
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Question: Did you guys use a size 10 or 12 dpn?

I used 10's unless you knit on the tighter side. Gauge is not that important since you aren't knitting something that you are actually wearing.
You can actually knit with smaller DPN's for a few rows to get the middle tighter as well. But if you do this only do it for a few rows and you will start the flower pattern shortly.

DudeWithSticks
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
tried to email, and it returned it undelivered, something about permanent failure or something. is there another address or a phone no that is not free phone. Toll free does not work from abroad. Thanks
Hmmm, have you checked your mail system? I just wrote to them and received an answer. (mailed them last night)
See details below.
fromCustomer Service <CustomerService@yarn.com>
toGino T <dudewithsticks@gmail.com>,
dateTue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:45 AM
subjectRE: Webs Order# 283176
hide details 10:45 AM Reply

Hello,
Thank you for your inquiry!

The final day for the Anniversary sale is May 26th.

----------------
Michael Walsh
Customer Service
Webs® / America's Yarn Store®
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 6:26 AM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Re: Webs Order# 283176

- Hide quoted text -
Hello,

Can you tell me when the sale is over on the Cascade Eco Wool? I know it's in May...

Thanks for your help.

Gino

DudeWithSticks
04-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Gino~ It looks great! :cheering: I think I'm going to do another one or a different pattern once I finish this one. Maybe we could just keep this KAL going with different doily patterns as afghans.
Thanks Lisa!
Made it to row 127 and coming home tonight to do the 4 rows of knit and then I think that I will wait till tomorrow morning to do the bind off. I really hope that I can do this. The only thing that sort of bothers me is when it comes to "turn" I have never done this or short rows etc. Do you just do exactly like it says and turn your work and where should the yarn be? Sounds weird. UGH. Any help would be appreciated!
Maybe I'll knit a few rows on some scrap yarn and try and do a few bind offs with that. (think that would help?) Then I can take a photo and send to the group. :P
And Lisa, that sound great. I would totally be up for that! What do you all think? Should we keep the thread or start a new one with each doily pattern?
Thinking that it would be easier for the newbies joining to find all that's needed for just the hemlock. And not have miles and miles of "non hemlock" info on it.
And "L" I am not that an experienced knitter, so something not too hard please. :muah:

Karina
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
THanks Lisa for your help. I called them up and you are right they do not use the global priority boxes. the postal service charge them to much for the boxes so shipping end up costing more. I orderd eight skeins in total 4 of the light No 10 and 4 of a brown no 87 they had only 3 of the light in stock and none of the brown so we will see what happens.

I don't know what happend with regards to the email gino. I'm not great with computers that is my husbands domain. But I got there in the end so thank you for helping me.

DudeWithSticks
04-29-2008, 03:00 PM
THanks Lisa for your help. I called them up and you are right they do not use the global priority boxes. the postal service charge them to much for the boxes so shipping end up costing more. I orderd eight skeins in total 4 of the light No 10 and 4 of a brown no 87 they had only 3 of the light in stock and none of the brown so we will see what happens.

I don't know what happend with regards to the email gino. I'm not great with computers that is my husbands domain. But I got there in the end so thank you for helping me.
Glad you were able to get through to them. I think what they will do is ship everything together and they are very good at matching lots. I have never had a problem before. But funny, how can they have lots when the sheep are all different and not dyed. HMMMM.... LOL

mwhite
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks Lisa!
Made it to row 127 and coming home tonight to do the 4 rows of knit and then I think that I will wait till tomorrow morning to do the bind off. I really hope that I can do this. The only thing that sort of bothers me is when it comes to "turn" I have never done this or short rows etc. Do you just do exactly like it says and turn your work and where should the yarn be? Sounds weird. UGH. Any help would be appreciated!

87th rnd: K 1, * k 2 tog, O, k 2 tog, turn, p 1, work 5 sts in next st -- to work 5 sts in 1 (k 1, p 1) twice in the same st, then k in the same st once more. P 1, sl 1, turn, bind off 7 sts (1 st remains on right-hand needle). Repeat from * around.

Gino, you'll do it one stitch at the time, following the instructions and when you turn, you'll be on the back(purl) side like using a straight, single point needle. Then when you turn again, you'll be back on the front(knit) side. Take it carefully and slowly and don't get ahead of yourself...this is what confuses you. You CAN do it, I know you can!!! All it takes is time and patience- :muah: :hug:

mwhite
04-29-2008, 06:17 PM
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fleegle/tischdecke-afghan

OMG!! This is beautiful...does anyone know what language the pattern is in and can it be translated? I've been over there drooling on Ravelry again. LOL! I think it's German.

Minou
04-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi! I came over from the Yahoo KAL and I'm up to row 87 on my second Hemlock. I knit my first in Cascade 220 held double and now I'm using Beaverslide Fisherman Weight.

I had great success on my first by using a dpn to do the bind off. Cap the right hand end of your circular (I use KnitPicks Options so this is really easy) and then use a dpn of the same size as your new right hand needle. You'll work off the left needle on your circular. It's a lot easier to turn your work because the end of your blanket isn't dragging on the right needle. If you think of it like knitting tiny rows of flat knitting and ignore the fact that most of the blanket is on a circular, it's not as scary. :)

Also, thanks to Mary's fabulous pattern extension, I am going to be continuing on for at least a few more repeats. I much prefer written instructions.

If it helps anyone, I rewrote the original and added Mary's extension, but I changed the pattern writing to show one repeat per round. Each round repeats eight times. It matches the chart and makes it easier for those who like to use stitch markers for the pattern repeats. Personally, I found it harder to keep straight if the asterisk for the repeat was in the middle of the instructions and then the last repeat had to be done differently. If you think it would help, you're welcome to visit: http://minou14.livejournal.com/8607.html

I love knitting this and plan to make even more to give away as gifts, but I want to knit an Egeblad for myself at some point. I love knitting lace, but not in laceweight yarn, so this is a lot of fun.

gargoylelib
04-30-2008, 01:40 AM
http://www.ravelry.com/projects/fleegle/tischdecke-afghan

OMG!! This is beautiful...does anyone know what language the pattern is in and can it be translated? I've been over there drooling on Ravelry again. LOL! I think it's German.

I think that it is German. At least the website she gave as a source
for buying the pattern booklet is German. I have ordered from there
before and they will communicate in English if you have questions. I
wonder if the pattern is charted or written out. If it's a chart then
you wouldn't need too much translation to get it done!

It is very beautiful, btw!

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Hi! I came over from the Yahoo KAL and I'm up to row 87 on my second Hemlock. I knit my first in Cascade 220 held double and now I'm using Beaverslide Fisherman Weight.

I had great success on my first by using a dpn to do the bind off. Cap the right hand end of your circular (I use KnitPicks Options so this is really easy) and then use a dpn of the same size as your new right hand needle. You'll work off the left needle on your circular. It's a lot easier to turn your work because the end of your blanket isn't dragging on the right needle. If you think of it like knitting tiny rows of flat knitting and ignore the fact that most of the blanket is on a circular, it's not as scary. :)

Also, thanks to Mary's fabulous pattern extension, I am going to be continuing on for at least a few more repeats. I much prefer written instructions.

If it helps anyone, I rewrote the original and added Mary's extension, but I changed the pattern writing to show one repeat per round. Each round repeats eight times. It matches the chart and makes it easier for those who like to use stitch markers for the pattern repeats. Personally, I found it harder to keep straight if the asterisk for the repeat was in the middle of the instructions and then the last repeat had to be done differently. If you think it would help, you're welcome to visit: http://minou14.livejournal.com/8607.html

I love knitting this and plan to make even more to give away as gifts, but I want to knit an Egeblad for myself at some point. I love knitting lace, but not in laceweight yarn, so this is a lot of fun.
Hi Minou,
Welcome and thanks for the great advice and tips. I do like some of your changes... instead of skp, the ssk's look good too as well as your petal changes. I'll have to try that when I do my next one as well.
For me that *'s don't confuse me and sort of used to it. But your changes made it easier to read.
I am the same way, love knitting lace and pls no lace weight yarn!
Thanks again and welcome.

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 03:07 AM
I think that it is German. At least the website she gave as a source
for buying the pattern booklet is German. I have ordered from there
before and they will communicate in English if you have questions. I
wonder if the pattern is charted or written out. If it's a chart then
you wouldn't need too much translation to get it done!

It is very beautiful, btw!

Hi Libbie,
I do think that it's in German as well or maybe Swiss. And there were some mags on e-bay as well and it looks like it may be charted. I was able to see a few pages on the inside and it looked as if there were charts. I hope that there is written as well as I hate charts and much prefer written.
It's a great pattern, maybe more than I can bite off and chew at this point, but always great to see such amazing knitters out there. It only makes want to better and strive for a short term goal.
Cheers!

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 03:12 AM
87th rnd: K 1, * k 2 tog, O, k 2 tog, turn, p 1, work 5 sts in next st -- to work 5 sts in 1 (k 1, p 1) twice in the same st, then k in the same st once more. P 1, sl 1, turn, bind off 7 sts (1 st remains on right-hand needle). Repeat from * around.

Gino, you'll do it one stitch at the time, following the instructions and when you turn, you'll be on the back(purl) side like using a straight, single point needle. Then when you turn again, you'll be back on the front(knit) side. Take it carefully and slowly and don't get ahead of yourself...this is what confuses you. You CAN do it, I know you can!!! All it takes is time and patience- :muah: :hug:
Thanks M,
You're the best! And without your help and support in all of this, I would have never done it. I will be binding off tomorrow and trying to finish my four last rows tonight. (well maybe two rows.) LOL
I think that I may try and do Minou's bind off with the DPN's. Since my needles are so d**m tight now it might be easier.
I'll let you know my progress tomorrow and will take a pic before and after!
:muah: :hug: to Mary

Minou
04-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Just to be completely clear, when you bind off, it's with one dpn as the right needle, and your original circular as the left. I did my entire blanket on 9's, so I also used a single 9 dpn. Once you do two or three repeats, you'll be whizzing right along. A lot of people complain about the bind-off but I had fun with it.

I'm hoping to start binding mine off tonight. I only have five rows to go!

Karina
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
got an email back form Yarn.com to say they are out of stock of the items that I ordered but they will be in in about 2 weeks and they would send my order then. I will still get them at the sale price so I am a happy camper. will probably take about a month before I have the yarn, but that is OK as I have no definite plans for it yet.

Mary love that pattern. thinking of ordering a couple of those magazines. I am doing the hemlock using the chart and are getting used to reading that so am ready to take it a step further and learn a few more symbols.

I just thought I live in an area that has a few charity shops and one charity book shop so think I will go to these shops and look if they have any old or new books on knitting lace. May just end up getting a bargain.

Welcome to this KAL Minou

mwhite
04-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Just to be completely clear, when you bind off, it's with one dpn as the right needle, and your original circular as the left. I did my entire blanket on 9's, so I also used a single 9 dpn. Once you do two or three repeats, you'll be whizzing right along. A lot of people complain about the bind-off but I had fun with it.

I'm hoping to start binding mine off tonight. I only have five rows to go!

I agree, using the DPN and capping off your unused circular needle is definitely the way to do ANY bind off! Thanks, Minou! :hug:

mwhite
04-30-2008, 08:28 AM
got an email back form Yarn.com to say they are out of stock of the items that I ordered but they will be in in about 2 weeks and they would send my order then. I will still get them at the sale price so I am a happy camper. will probably take about a month before I have the yarn, but that is OK as I have no definite plans for it yet.

Mary love that pattern. thinking of ordering a couple of those magazines. I am doing the hemlock using the chart and are getting used to reading that so am ready to take it a step further and learn a few more symbols.

I just thought I live in an area that has a few charity shops and one charity book shop so think I will go to these shops and look if they have any old or new books on knitting lace. May just end up getting a bargain.

Welcome to this KAL Minou

I wanna come go shoppin with ya! LOL! :hug:

taconsolo
04-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the invite...I'm currently on row 70 and really enjoying this process, but I do have a question. I purchased 3 skeins of Cascade Eco and wondered just how large this would be...I'd like to make it larger than Jared's original as it will be a wedding gift. Thanks for the input...

Tora in Chagrin Falls, Ohio

mwhite
04-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the invite...I'm currently on row 70 and really enjoying this process, but I do have a question. I purchased 3 skeins of Cascade Eco and wondered just how large this would be...I'd like to make it larger than Jared's original as it will be a wedding gift. Thanks for the input...

Welcome, Tora! Glad you've joined us!

Your question has to do with guage. Take your Hemlock and lay it out as flat as you can...this won't be exact but it will give you an idea of your size now and what it will be close to when finished. Remember, too, that blocking will make it larger as well.

Measure from the center to the outside at your 70th round. Double this figure... This is your current diameter.

Take your diameter (example; 28, 30 etc...) and divide it into 70. This will give you the number of rounds per inch.

Example; 70 divided by 28 = 2.5" If you want your blanket to end up being 48", you'd do 120 rounds. Get it?

Keep in mind that the example above is just an example and if this is too confusing, just tell me what the diameter of you blanket is presently and I can help you. At any rate, you need to know how many rounds = 1 inch.

Karina
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Welcome Tora, I think Gino finished his on row 131 or something very close to that using the Eco wool and I think he only just started going into his third skein of wool. Once he has blocked his, probably in the next few days, we will all find out how large his ended up being. Then you can decide whether to carry on like Mary to round 142 or so or do less, Maybe mary have to go back to the drawing board and extend it even further. LOL

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM

That's great advice M, I never would have you could figure it out that way.
I am almost ready to bind off, just two more rows and I will be at round 131, It's very very tight on the needles and it's really heavy now as well. When I finish my bind off and block it, I will be able to give you a rough estimate. I am also into my third hank and if you read Jared's blog, he only went to round 112 and his blanket was about four feet in diameter. (I am also using the eco wool in latte)
Hope that helps! And I am pretty sure you will have enough with the three hanks to take it to Mary's final extention.
Good luck!

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Welcome Tora, I think Gino finished his on row 131 or something very close to that using the Eco wool and I think he only just started going into his third skein of wool. Once he has blocked his, probably in the next few days, we will all find out how large his ended up being. Then you can decide whether to carry on like Mary to round 142 or so or do less, Maybe mary have to go back to the drawing board and extend it even further. LOL
OMG! Karina, I we were writing in tandem. LOL I have two more rows of knit and the infamous bind off! I promise to have it done today with photos as well. Blocking will be done tomorrow or late tonight. (I think that I may need to get a lot more T-pins though)
More soon and good luck everyone!
:grphug: Gino

Karina
04-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Can't wait to see it Gino.

I am now on row 102 only two more repeats before I start on Mary's extension

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 03:10 PM
YAY... good luck and it's sort of sad that I am almost done, but looking forward to doing this one again and to Mary's full extension.
So, Lisa, what is the next one? Maybe I am ready for a break from this, or do you think since I am on a roll, I should just go for broke. LOL

mwhite
04-30-2008, 04:37 PM
YAY... good luck and it's sort of sad that I am almost done, but looking forward to doing this one again and to Mary's full extension.
So, Lisa, what is the next one? Maybe I am ready for a break from this, or do you think since I am on a roll, I should just go for broke. LOL

I honestly think that at this point, we're all addicted to lace knitting and nothing else quite compares! I started lace knitting on dishcloths over 4 years ago and it is totally consuming. The possiblilities are endless and with a couple of YOs, some PSSOs, a few SKPs, several K2TOGs and some K1s, K2s and K5s, you've got yourself a gorgeous piece that someone will always look at in awe. Who knew that some holey knit would become HOLY! :teehee:

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 07:28 PM
You are sooooooooooo right Mary, I was addicted to cables last year and I guess it's the year of the "lace"...
So, what are we going to get on our needles next!
Can't wait... have to look at the pattern you peeps have been talking about.

mwhite
04-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm working on the Egeblad right now, trying to figure out extension for it! The Alita is gorgeous and then there's the one in German, I've been drooling over. Went to the site to buy it today.... the total came out to 2,033....I think with shipping that's over $31 in USD but not sure...yikes! But I neeeeeeed the fix!

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Okay... So I am trying to bind off and I think that I am making a mistake somewhere. I know it's hard to figure out when you are not doing this, but here goes.
Here are the directions...
Bind off: k 1* k2 tog, yo, k 2 tog, turn, p 1, work 5 sts in next st – to work 5 sts in 1 (k 1 , p 1) twice in the same st, then k 1 in the st once more. P1, sl 1, turn, bind off 7 sts (1 st remains on right- hand needle) Repeat from * around
Okay got everything, but my question is...
when I have turned onto the purl side and I sl 1, turn and bind off 7 stitches, I still have that slipped stitch on now my left hand needle. Do I have to slip that first slip stitch or do I knit it? Please help! Thanks!
I am also going to post it into the help forum as well!
:hug:

Minou
05-01-2008, 12:39 AM
This is what I've been doing. To answer your question, you leave it on your dpn so it is the first stitch on your right hand before you begin the k2tog again.

A) So for the first section, you'll have a knit stitch (either the very first k1, or the last stitch remaining from the previous bind-off). Then you'll add a k2tog, a loose yo and then another k2tog. This is four stitches on your dpn.

B) Turn it around so the dpn is now the left needle. Purl the last k2tog you did. Then make five in the yo - k1, p1, k1, p1, k1. This is basically the same as the beginning of the petals, but with fewer stitches. Purl the other k2tog. Slip that single knit stitch purlwise. You'll have zero stitches on the dpn and "eight" on the circ.

C) Turn it around again and reinsert the dpn to knit the first stitch on the left (circ) needle. Then knit the next one. Slip the first knit stitch over the second. Continue on until you have one stitch left on the dpn. It's very obviously part of the scallop and is slightly separated from the blanket stitches still sitting on your left needle.

Go back to A, repeat until done! I've been cranking along and am about 25% done with my bind-off. I think I may have to start another skein in the middle, which makes me slightly grumpy, but it'll be okay. I can't block this until at least Friday because I'm going to wet block it and I use my bed. I need sleep more than a wet blanket full of pins at night. I know my priorities are skewed, but what can I say. :)

WinterOfEternity
05-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Lisa = [ Welcome Louann ! Glad you've joined us. Yours is very pretty! I'm on row 105 and I need to get a bigger cable. I'm still using the 32" and it's getting pretty tight. ]

Hello Lisa, I am glad that I joined too. I love this KAL and all of the people working so hard on their blanket. Everyone is so delightful to knit with.....=)

Dude = [ As Louann stated, go to www.yarn.com and they are actually having a sale on the eco wool through Memorial Day which is the second week in May? So you still have time.
Here is the link: http://yarn.com/webs/0/0/0/0-1001-1294-1323/0/0/1122/ On sale from $15.00 per hank to $10.49 per hank. Even if it says it's out of stock they will back order it for you and ship when they get it. They have the best customer service and I would order from them again and again. ]

Gino, You should be a salesman for Eco Yarn !!! After reading your note, I bought 10 more skeins for future knitting blankets with you all in the future, I thought, why not, its on sale and I love this yarn so much , that I know that I will really use it. Four of the skeins were the same color that you are using and like everyone else, they were all on backorder, but I still got them for the sale price. Thank you for all of the information. I really appreciate you looking out for us all....=)

Dude = [ I went a little eco crazy myself... three hanks in each color... 8015 8018 8049 is quite beautiful in person. they call it tarnish and it's a great color as well. I think that I may order more of this colorway to make something else out of it. I didn't get the 8010 as I thought I did. But got the 8015 which is a true natural. Do you like the shade Louann? I may get that as well, just to maybe tea stain it or coffee stain it, or like you just leave it alone. ]

Gino, I love all of the shades and plan to make something out of each color of the Eco Natural. I like color, but I adore this wool so much that I don't have any desire to mess with the colors., which is unusual for me since I dye sock yarn , sometimes as many as 40 skeins at a time. When I work with the Eco yarns I feel as if I am knitting homespun that I have processed. It just gives you that feeling as it slides thru your fingers. I spin a lot of my own yarn, but now I have found a new staple for my yarn stash. Their is nothing that you can't do with this yarn. I am even planning on knitting a Aran Blanket and Sweater out of it now.

Domiknitrix = [ Did you guys use a size 10 or 12 dpn? ]

Welcome to the KAL, I am so glad that you have joined us. This is a great group of people and they are all very helpful. As an answer to your question, I am using the Eco Wool and US 10 DPS and then Circs. This particular yarn has great stitch definition using the size 10's . I am now on row 105 and have 504 stitches on my needle and I really like how the 10's are making the yarn look.

Karina = [ I called them up and you are right they do not use the global priority boxes. the postal service charge them to much for the boxes so shipping end up costing more. I orderd eight skeins in total 4 of the light No 10 and 4 of a brown no 87 they had only 3 of the light in stock and none of the brown so we will see what happens.]

Hello again Karina...=) I am so glad that you got in touch with Webs/yarn.com and ordered your Eco Yarn. It is so lovely to work with and I hope that you like it as much as I do. It is always wonderful when things work themselves out. This group is great for helping each other and I don't think that we could have found a more caring group of people.

MWhite = [ I honestly think that at this point, we're all addicted to lace knitting and nothing else quite compares! I started lace knitting on dishcloths over 4 years ago and it is totally consuming. The possiblilities are endless and with a couple of YOs, some PSSOs, a few SKPs, several K2TOGs and some K1s, K2s and K5s, you've got yourself a gorgeous piece that someone will always look at in awe. Who knew that some holey knit would become HOLY! ]

Miss Mary, I couldn't have said it any better than you just did. I love lace knitting and the more that I do of it, the more that i want to do. If you and Gino do another KAL, be sure to let me know. I am defiantly in !!!
I have loved knitting along with you all. !!!

I am glad that everyone is making progress. As of tonight I am on Row 105 and on the second skein of Eco.
I need to get in a few good days of knitting so that I can begin Mary's extended chart. I can hardly wait for that too........!!!

Louann

DudeWithSticks
05-01-2008, 01:51 AM
This is what I've been doing. To answer your question, you leave it on your dpn so it is the first stitch on your right hand before you begin the k2tog again.

A) So for the first section, you'll have a knit stitch (either the very first k1, or the last stitch remaining from the previous bind-off). Then you'll add a k2tog, a loose yo and then another k2tog. This is four stitches on your dpn.

B) Turn it around so the dpn is now the left needle. Purl the last k2tog you did. Then make five in the yo - k1, p1, k1, p1, k1. This is basically the same as the beginning of the petals, but with fewer stitches. Purl the other k2tog. Slip that single knit stitch purlwise. You'll have zero stitches on the dpn and "eight" on the circ.

C) Turn it around again and reinsert the dpn to knit the first stitch on the left (circ) needle. Then knit the next one. Slip the first knit stitch over the second. Continue on until you have one stitch left on the dpn. It's very obviously part of the scallop and is slightly separated from the blanket stitches still sitting on your left needle.

Go back to A, repeat until done! I've been cranking along and am about 25% done with my bind-off. I think I may have to start another skein in the middle, which makes me slightly grumpy, but it'll be okay. I can't block this until at least Friday because I'm going to wet block it and I use my bed. I need sleep more than a wet blanket full of pins at night. I know my priorities are skewed, but what can I say. :)

LOLOLOL... (I agree with the blocking!) Thanks for the help! I got everything except on what to do with that slipped stitch when you bind off... And you answered it and the directions were perfect and well executed! Thanks again...
:muah: :hug:

Karina
05-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Mary - just ordered the german magazine with the doily that you like. Will let you know when I get it and how the chart etc look.

I was just wondering, since we are all extending the pattern and therefore have more stitches on the needle will the bind-off work the same or does it have to be modified?

mwhite
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
And I just slept through ALL of this! LOL! Morning Everybody!
Karina, I hope you didn't do that because I whined so much...but sure glad you got it and I'm anxious to see what you think.

Thanks to Minou for helping Gino!

Off to the grind...still waiting on my yarn to come in!

Karina
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Mary - rest assured ordered for purely selfish reason. I actually ordered two magazines because postage would work out the same. Will let you know when I get them.

1to1
05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
When I was binding off the Hemlock, I turned it around and bound off with the purl side (WS) facing me...I just liked how it looked on the RS. Give it a try and see what you like better.

I'm on Rnd 64 of the Alita and I just received my extra yarn...so no excuses for not getting it finished by Mother's Day. Except that the new SKP2008 pattern will be out tonight.

Can't wait to see all your finished Hemlocks!!

DudeWithSticks
05-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Update... I have about 3.5 more repeats left on the bind off. And it's going smoothly but sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow. I want it done NOW... LOL I'll update ya'll in a few hours. I think that I can get it done for sure in three or less.
And I'll have photos to post before the blocking. Now it looks more like a botton feeding sea creature of some sort. HAHAHA

mwhite
05-01-2008, 06:52 PM
When I was binding off the Hemlock, I turned it around and bound off with the purl side (WS) facing me...I just liked how it looked on the RS. Give it a try and see what you like better.

I'm on Rnd 64 of the Alita and I just received my extra yarn...so no excuses for not getting it finished by Mother's Day. Except that the new SKP2008 pattern will be out tonight.

Can't wait to see all your finished Hemlocks!!

I WANNA SEE, I WANNA SEE!!! :teehee: And what exactly is the new SKP2008 pattern???

mwhite
05-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Update... I have about 3.5 more repeats left on the bind off. And it's going smoothly but sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow. I want it done NOW... LOL I'll update ya'll in a few hours. I think that I can get it done for sure in three or less.
And I'll have photos to post before the blocking. Now it looks more like a botton feeding sea creature of some sort. HAHAHA

I WANNA SEE, I WANNA SEE!!! :teehee: :teehee: :teehee:

DudeWithSticks
05-01-2008, 09:31 PM
LOL, I know I know... Well, I am D-O-N-E!!! :woot: :woohoo:
I will promise to take some pics of it outside before I block it. It took me forever to bind off. About 5 hours give or take from phone breaks and lunch, so maybe about 4 total.
Also, be very careful to all you cascade eco people. Three hanks my be okay if you do all of Mary's extentions. As I stated, I went to row 131 including the four rows of knit. Then the bind off. You use a lot for the bind off! When I finished, I had about 2/3 of a hank left over. When you start to get to the upper rounds, you go through yarn like mad!
Anyway, promise photos tomorrow as it is getting pretty dark here and don't really want to use a flash.
Cheers all for all your support! Now on to the next one.

Lisa1216
05-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Morning all and welcome to all the new people!! I've been out of town the past two days and I'm just getting caught up on e-mails and all these posts. I haven't worked on mine for a few days because I thought it was too bulky to take on the airplane and didn't want to risk the needles not being allowed on the plane. I worked on a sock instead.

Gino~I can't wait to see yours! :cheering: I'm not sure what to work on next. Let me know your plans. I'm hooked on the lace knitting too!

Karina~Glad you were able to get the yarn ordered!!

I'll check back in later with everyone once I'm caught back up at work.

Minou
05-02-2008, 02:55 PM
If anyone wants a small, fun lace project, I loved knitting the Argosy scarf. It's what got me started in lace in the first place.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTargosy.html

I saw one online knitted in Opal Hundertwasser "Der Blaue Mond" by Knitorious: http://knitorious.typepad.com/knitorious/2007/11/hundertwasser-w.html

I did one in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock "Daffodil" and it gets a lot of comments. If you use variegated yarns, the striping is opposite the pattern and they're both oblique so it's really pretty. There are also variations printed for shawls, dishcloths and blankets.

Egeblad is definitely next for me. The pattern has a few new things to interpret, but should be okay. I just keep coming back to it in my Ravelry queue and that's a sign. It's calling to me!

-Rebecca

Minou
05-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Whew. I just finished the bind-off on row 91. I should have finished on row 92, but I dropped one row in hopes that I would be able to finish in three skeins. No such luck. I still ran out 1 1/2 fans from the end. It's 39" unblocked and took just over three skeins of Beaverslide Fisherman Weight. Fortunately, I had four so it only meant a pause to wind another ball.

Alas, I don't think I'll get to block until Sunday. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

-Rebecca

DudeWithSticks
05-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Whew. I just finished the bind-off on row 91. I should have finished on row 92, but I dropped one row in hopes that I would be able to finish in three skeins. No such luck. I still ran out 1 1/2 fans from the end. It's 39" unblocked and took just over three skeins of Beaverslide Fisherman Weight. Fortunately, I had four so it only meant a pause to wind another ball.

Alas, I don't think I'll get to block until Sunday. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

-Rebecca

Hey All,
I know Rebecca, toward the end it just eats up your yarn and the bind off is crazy and you use even more in the bind off. So be aware peeps...
Okay, photos! Excuse the photos, I was in such a rush to get this done. Anyway, a little background. Couldn't block it on any beds, sigh... It wouldn't dry in time. So, had a small twin in the garage and took it outside. It started to dry as I was pinning it up. I had a few problems from the pics as far as pinning, but had my sister come over and she helped out and it looked a lot better. Didn't take anymore as I had my camera packed for my trip. So, I think there are some unpinned parts.
Well, you'll get the idea... The first pic as before it was blocked. And the second is after. I had a few problems with smoothing it out and there are a few "waves" still in the blanket, but I don't think she'll mind. Other than that, I am sooooo happy with it. And when I make the second one, I'll have more time to block it correctly.
Jared's Hemlock measured at almost four feet. I measured mine from point to point and mine ended up at about five feet. And that was at row 131.
Hope everyone else is doing well.
You have to wet block this, maybe steam may work, but if you want to make it flat and show your lace pattern, that is the best way to do it. And just be careful when you pin.
Anyway, off to Hawaii for a week. I brought a few projects just in case. Not bringing anything on the plane. Gonna sleep! hahaha (8:30 AM flight)
Talk soon all... and they have internet at the house. ;)

Minou
05-03-2008, 02:19 AM
That color looks great! The brown is very rich. Which color # is it?

I steam blocked my first one, which was knitted in Cascade 220. I blocked it twice and it came out very nice. I found if I pin the heck out of the flower first, it makes it easier to stretch and pin the feather and fan portion.

I just knitted a fast swatch with the Beaverslide and practiced washing it. It has so much lanolin yet, that I decided to soak it for a little while in Ivory soap. I rinsed it well, then soaked it in Eucalan. Now it's pinned and drying, but it's already so soft that I didn't want to let it go. I can't wait to block it for real.

While I have my Hemlock off the needles, I started Egeblad. I'm on round 31 already. I changed the sl 1, k1, psso's to ssk's and also changed to a double decrease, just like on my Hemlocks. It is so much fun to knit! The center spirals so it's fun to see it emerging from the needles.

1to1
05-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Gino, It turned out beautiful...you did a wonderful job with the blocking too.

Minou, I loved making the Egeblad...I think it is much easier and more enjoyable than the Hemlock. But the Hemlock is very interesting and got me started doing these doily throws.

Mary, How's your Egeblad going? I didn't keep a row stitch count on the Egeblad but am on the Alita.

Have a great weekend!
Carla

Karina
05-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Gino well done on completing the Hemlock. Looks amazing. off to Hawaii for a week, Lucky devil.

I'm on row 108, takes quite a bit of time to do a row now but still determined to carry on for a while.

Mary how is your coming along? you did get your yarn to carry on right.

Hope every one else is working hard on their Hemlock. Love to see the photos really spurs you on to finish.

Minou
05-03-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm up to round 45 on my Egeblad now. I found out today that reading in a car makes me sick, but knitting doesn't. I cranked out 14 rounds during the ride and plan to do some more tonight. I'm not so fond of all the double decreases in this pattern because they slow me down, but the lace is looking really nice. I don't have photos of it yet because it's so smooshed on the needles you can't see bupkus, but I will tonight or tomorrow when I move up to a 40".

I have photos of my first Hemlock blocked and my second unblocked on Ravelry. It won't let me upload any photos here.

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Minou

I have two books of doily patterns coming on Wednesday. No Herbert Niebling, but I think I'll find some good ones to try to convert.

Karina
05-04-2008, 03:42 AM
Minou, you hemlock looks really good. I'm sure I read a message on the yahoo group that somebody said that doubling the yarn would not look good. but yours look beautiful. can't wait to see the other one blocked. did you make the second one larger or finished on the same row as the first one.

gargoylelib
05-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Hi Minou, great minds think alike! I was just looking at your
finished projects on Ravelry and noticed your falling leaves
scarf. I had a skein of the Opal Herbstmelodie that I couldn't
decide where to use it until I found the falling leaves pattern in
one of my pattern books. I just finished my falling leaves scarf
and need to block it! :)

DudeWithSticks
05-04-2008, 05:48 AM
That color looks great! The brown is very rich. Which color # is it?

I steam blocked my first one, which was knitted in Cascade 220. I blocked it twice and it came out very nice. I found if I pin the heck out of the flower first, it makes it easier to stretch and pin the feather and fan portion
Hi There,
The color is 8063 (latte) you should also look at 8049 (tarnish) it's an amazing color. I'll try that the next time and it does make sense if you pin the flower portion really well, you can move and stretch it better. Thanks for that!

DudeWithSticks
05-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Gino, It turned out beautiful...you did a wonderful job with the blocking too.

Minou, I loved making the Egeblad...I think it is much easier and more enjoyable than the Hemlock. But the Hemlock is very interesting and got me started doing these doily throws.

Mary, How's your Egeblad going? I didn't keep a row stitch count on the Egeblad but am on the Alita.

Have a great weekend!
Carla
Thanks Carla,
It really means a lot coming from all you experienced knitters out there. I usually get really tired of things really fast and for some odd reason, knitting is so addicting. And it's pretty unlimited as to what you can do and what level you can get to.
The blocking was so so, I really wanted to stretch it out a lot more and get the bumbs out. Well, next time for sure! :)

DudeWithSticks
05-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Gino well done on completing the Hemlock. Looks amazing. off to Hawaii for a week, Lucky devil.

I'm on row 108, takes quite a bit of time to do a row now but still determined to carry on for a while.

Mary how is your coming along? you did get your yarn to carry on right.

Hope every one else is working hard on their Hemlock. Love to see the photos really spurs you on to finish.
Thanks Karina! And tell me about it! When you get into row 120 etc, you'll have 600 stitches and times four rounds. That's 2400 stitches plus your increase!

It's hot here. And I don't really like the hot. LOL... But it's beautiful! It looks like Jurrasic Park. I'll put some pics up soon.
I can't complain, but there isn't any air conditioning. I know I know, I have way too good in Cali! The house literally overlooks the beach and I just have to walk across the street. :cheering: It's so nice not to do anything (hemlock ring) LOL But I am trying to finish a few my so called scarves (on two different colorways and needles) and also 3/4 done on the falling water scarf too. Hopefully I'll get something completed!
OMG, now I am so hooked on lace, I need to get some books too. But does anyone know of any patterns that have pineapples in them? All the ones that I searched and my Mom's books are all crochet. And that is something that has really never interested me. UGH!
Be well all and let's see the photos come in...
How are the newbies doing out there. I think that I may order the offwhite/ecru and start another one. I really plan on making 3 more in the hemlock. One for me and two others for gifts. But at least I'll have time to do it.
And the other skeins... looking for something! Maybe I'll try the egblad like everyone else. hehe. but I know I will have questions for sure on this one...
Maybe we should start an eglad kal? but everyone is so far into it already tho... hmmmm...
Any thoughts?

Lisa1216
05-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Hi All!!!

Gino-Yours looks great!! I hope mine is as nice. Did your friend like her gift? Hawaii sounds nice...I've never been there, but someday I will! Thanks for the tip on the amount of yarn for the bind off.

Minou-I checked out yours and I love the color! Very pretty! I was thinking of the Cascade 220 for my next one. I'm using Debbie Bliss Cotton/Angora that I had in my stash from a frogged sweater. I like it, it's very soft, but the balls of yarn are so small, they are getting used up really fast.

Karina-I'm on row 108 too. I had to tink back rows 107 & 108 because my stitches were off. I had an extra stitch in there from somewhere. I finally put in stitch markers.

I think I'd like to try the Egebald next too. Maybe we could change the name of this KAL to the "Doily to Afghan(Hemlock,Egebald,Alita,etc) Kal" or would that be too confusing.

Have a good day everyone!

mwhite
05-04-2008, 09:59 AM
It looks FANTASTIC, Gino!!! I just love the rich color and it turned out super nice! I bet your friend just loves it! :muah: :muah: :muah: :yay: :woohoo: :cheering: :woot: :yay: :muah: :hug: :cheering: :woot: :muah: :muah: :muah: Okay, this is a little overboard but part of this excitement is for Hawaii! :teehee:

mwhite
05-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks Karina! And tell me about it! When you get into row 120 etc, you'll have 600 stitches and times four rounds. That's 2400 stitches plus your increase!

It's hot here. And I don't really like the hot. LOL... But it's beautiful! It looks like Jurrasic Park. I'll put some pics up soon.
I can't complain, but there isn't any air conditioning. I know I know, I have way too good in Cali! The house literally overlooks the beach and I just have to walk across the street. :cheering: It's so nice not to do anything (hemlock ring) LOL But I am trying to finish a few my so called scarves (on two different colorways and needles) and also 3/4 done on the falling water scarf too. Hopefully I'll get something completed!
OMG, now I am so hooked on lace, I need to get some books too. But does anyone know of any patterns that have pineapples in them? All the ones that I searched and my Mom's books are all crochet. And that is something that has really never interested me.

It's not lace but it is gorgeous and knitted!
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/april_knitproject.html

Minou
05-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I've posted photos of my Hemlock being blocked on Ravelry. It came out at 48" diameter with 92 rounds on US9's and only 12oz of yarn. I am so in love with the color of this one and it's going to be difficult to give away. My Egeblad is my consolation prize.

Cascade 220 is very nice and if I do another one with it, it will be held double again. I went against the advice of the Yahoo KAL because I saw an alpaca Hemlock with yarn held double on Ravelry and it turned out fine. I think it helped that I used one center-pull ball and took yarn from the inside and the outside. It made it twist a little while I knitted and my stitches never pulled apart.

I like the proportions of the original doily and I don't want to make it bigger with more feather and fan if I can avoid it. I love the bulky weight wool because it makes a large enough blanket without a lot of pattern increases. I have hopes that my Egeblad will come out about 48" as written because I'm using Beaverslide again on US10 needles. I've had to go to a 60" cable on row 55, so that should tell you how big it's getting.

I have a final exam to study for so I can't knit today. I am very frustrated! I may have to take a sanity break later and knit a round or two, but I have a hard time putting it down.

-Rebecca

DudeWithSticks
05-05-2008, 05:49 AM
It's not lace but it is gorgeous and knitted!
http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/april_knitproject.html
Thanks Mary,
I did have a look at that one. And it is beautiful. But I am not a big fan of seed stitch. I just did a scarf with a lot of seed stitch and I was going insane. It's just crazy doing a k and p stitch. Maybe since I throw my yarn it's harder or just a pain. LOL! Yeah, I am lazy! hahaha

DudeWithSticks
05-05-2008, 05:55 AM
It looks FANTASTIC, Gino!!! I just love the rich color and it turned out super nice! I bet your friend just loves it! :muah: :muah: :muah: :yay: :woohoo: :cheering: :woot: :yay: :muah: :hug: :cheering: :woot: :muah: :muah: :muah: Okay, this is a little overboard but part of this excitement is for Hawaii! :teehee:
AWWWW!!! Thanks M, and I do owe it all to you! Seriously, I couldn't have done it without you and the group.
:muah: :hug: :muah:
And what do you think we should do? Start another KAL for future ones? I am just thinking that if we were to keep the Hemlock and future doily patterns in different threads, it might be easier for future peeps to find info than having one KAL for all. What do you think? I am just going by the Yahoo group, there are thousands of posts there and it's rather hard to look for info on there. And that is for the same blanket. Imagine what it would be like if we were to have multiples on the same thread.
Let me know your thoughts and we should figure it out soon.
:hug: :muah: to all....

Gino

Karina
05-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi all

I'm about to hit row 128, my arms are getting sore, will have to slow down a bit.

Gino I agree I think it would be to confusing if you had to read through this whole thread to find info if there was more than one KAL going on. Since most people want to do another Hemlock I think It would be nice to keep this one going especially for new comers so we should keep checking in to answer any questions etc.

Then do a new KAL for what ever project we would all like to do next.

The magazine that I ordered from Germany has been posted so I am waiting for that to arrive before making up my mind of what to do next.

Hawaii sounds fab, have been hot here today for the first time this year so we have all been in the garden. So had a lovely day with the kids.

mwhite
05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I agree with both of you, we should do separate KALs. Besides, some of us are still working on this one and some have just started! And who says we can't have several going at one time?

DudeWithSticks
05-06-2008, 05:31 AM
Hi all

I'm about to hit row 128, my arms are getting sore, will have to slow down a bit.

Gino I agree I think it would be to confusing if you had to read through this whole thread to find info if there was more than one KAL going on. Since most people want to do another Hemlock I think It would be nice to keep this one going especially for new comers so we should keep checking in to answer any questions etc.

Then do a new KAL for what ever project we would all like to do next.

The magazine that I ordered from Germany has been posted so I am waiting for that to arrive before making up my mind of what to do next.

Hawaii sounds fab, have been hot here today for the first time this year so we have all been in the garden. So had a lovely day with the kids.
Perfect, I think that we should do that then. Well, I think that I will start the "E" next. Since everyone is doing it as well.
That's great K, I was in London a few years ago in the summer and stayed with friends. And you guys were going through a heatwave. OMG, it was damn hot there. LOL I have never been to the UK when it was ever that warm. GEEZ!
Good luck on your bind off it will take a bit and you'll feel like you're never going to finish! :)

DudeWithSticks
05-06-2008, 05:38 AM
I agree with both of you, we should do separate KALs. Besides, some of us are still working on this one and some have just started! And who says we can't have several going at one time?

Perfect.. sooooooooooooooooo M, why don't you start the new "E" KAL. It would be great if you did.

And Everyone, the Hemlock Ring was the show stopper of the evening!!!
Everyone loved it and was amazed at the detail. No one could believe that I came so far with my knitting skills. HAHAH (they all got scarves the year before... three different yarns knitted together in garter stitch. LOL)
The kept coming back to it and just looked and looked and touched. And the majority of the group were girls too.
Thanks again ALL!!!

Karina
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM
I am so pleased that your gift was loved by all. You have done it now, better start planning for Christmas because everybody will be waiting for you to top this one.

Doing Row 131 now and have to do a row and then have a break, then another row and so on. I could imagine the bind off will be done a section at a time and then walk away for a while. It looks like a giant sack at the moment. Think I will swap to a size 7mm needle when I start the next increase row.

Lisa have you progressed any further than the 108th row. How many row are you planning to do.

Hope everybody else are getting on OK.

mwhite
05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
OMG!! Everybody's gone past me! Is okay though.... finally finished my extension on the Egeblad... not sure how it's gonna look in the end but think I may have 40 points instead of 20. We'll see! I couldn't read the blooming chart at all- Not like the Hemlock where it was all nice and symmetric, this one looks cockeyed and off to one side.

Lisa1216
05-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Morning everyone!

Gino~Glad everyone loved your Hemlock. Karina's right, everyone will want one for Christmas. Enjoy the rest of your time in Hawaii! I agree, it'll probably be easier to have separate KALs for each type of afghan.

Karina~I made it to row 116 and started binding off last night. I don't want to run out of yarn, so I ended it earlier than I thought I would. I've never blocked anything this big, so that will be interesting too. How far are you going with it?

Hi Mary!!

How is everyone else doing?

I think I'm going to do the Egebald next. I just need to figure out what yarn to use and read through the pattern. I'll be watching for the KAL.

Have a great day :knitting: everyone! :)

Karina
05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Lisa I was going to knit to row 150 or so but looking at my sack now it measure 2.5 feet without being stretched so at the moment it is 5 foot across. I don't really know how it will expand once it is blocked. was looking to make it 6 feet across. I am using a chunky acrylic/wool/cotton blend.
I will change needle size next row and then maybe do one or two repeats then the dreaded bind off.

Minou
05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I finally blocked and unpinned my Hemlock on Sunday. I think 48" is the perfect size. It covers my toes and reaches to my chest when I'm sitting down.

I'm cruising on my Egeblad now. I have hopes I can knit the original pattern and stop. I'm on round 60 and my 60" cable is already looking like it may not be long enough to hold all the stitches. It's a fun pattern to knit and it's anyone's guess what the blobs will look like from row to row. Feather and fan is pretty straightforward. This is overlapping rows of leafy things. The pattern also shifts to the left every once in a while, so you have to knit some stitches and move your marker. I only use a marker for the beginning of the round, so this isn't too bad for me, but it could be extra work for those who use section markers.

I am really excited about the yarn I'm using, so it's an irresistable project. I have to give myself chores to do and use Egeblad as a reward or else I'd never get anything else done.

domiknitrix
05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow Gino, freaking awesome!!! Beautiful color!

domiknitrix
05-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Finally. I ordered my yarn from Webs and after ordering I was told that someone must have bought the yarn in the store, so it was on backorder. NO. So, I emailed them back and said, well can I have this color it says it is in stock they said yup. Guess what!?!? someone bought my yarn again (fast hands). Picked another color and it is now here. Yeah me!!!

Okay, fellow knitters, do you have any tips or hints before I dive right into this wholly mammoth!? I know I saw something about a lifeline, which I will be checking into.

Karina
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Stitch markers are key domiknitrix, that way you can count each repeat after you knit it so you know you have the right amount of stitches. after you have completed the centre star it is plain sailing. I did not use a lifeline but it has helped a few people on here. take it one step at a time if you haven't done lace before. once you get going it is an easy knit and very enjoyable to see it grow.

Karina
05-07-2008, 06:11 PM
I have so far BO one section. The Bind off is a bit of a nightmare, will definitely take me more than 4 hours.

mwhite
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Hang in there, Karina! We're all right here in spirit, helping you bind off! Muah!

Lisa1216
05-08-2008, 08:03 AM
I have so far BO one section. The Bind off is a bit of a nightmare, will definitely take me more than 4 hours.

Same for me! I thought I was doing well and then realized I'm only to the second stitch marker! You have more stitches than I do though!

mwhite
05-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Y'all are scaring me here!

Lisa1216
05-08-2008, 09:11 AM
It's not scarey...it's just time consuming! :knitting: :knitting: :knitting:

Karina
05-08-2008, 12:33 PM
It does seem like you carry on forever I have nearly finisherd my 3rd section.
It takes so long because everytime you make a loop you only loose 4 stitches.
I think I ended with 696 stitches so that makes 174 loops

Karina
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I just got an email and my yarn is on the way. BTW mary I got the pattern, you will have to work your magic on it because I do not understand it at all. besides it being German there are symbols on there I have never seen before.

1to1
05-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm considering making one of these Doily Throws into a baby blanket for a girl. I really don't want to use wool cuz I'd like for it to be machine washable and would like to stick with a bulky weight. What yarn would you recommend?

Thanks,
Carla

Karina
05-08-2008, 01:53 PM
Carla I have made mine out of an acrylic/wool/cotton In a couple of more days it will be finished and then I will find out how it blocks. So If you can wait a bit longer then I will tell you how mine turns out. Although mine is a bulky weight which I'm sure you would not want for a baby blanket at least you will know about the acrylic part.

you could also just try making a small sample of lace maybe out of acrylic or cotton and see how it behaves.
On the charity baby blanket kal or preemie baby blanket they are making a blanket out of acrylic yarns called something like waves and the is quite lacey and looks beautiful.

Karina
05-08-2008, 02:01 PM
http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74996&page=38

message 373. Not as elaborate as the doily but it is lacy and looks really pretty.

mwhite
05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I've done 2 other circular blankets out of acrylic and both turned out nice and flat. The difference on them both were that I did an increase round, then two straight knit rounds, then another increase round. They blocked okay, but you know how arcrylic is, it does go back to the original size when washed. I've noticed with the hemlock I'm doing and the cotton/acrylic yarn that it is tight sideways and I'm sure I'm going to have a struggle blocking it in the first place. I don't think it would harm the outcome of the pattern to do the two knit rounds between increase rounds and it'll more than likely be less of a problem for blocking. It'll mean you may have to do more increase rounds to make it the size you want but the extension ought to make it large enough.

In the meantime, mine was going to be a tablecloth for my 42" table.... Hubby and Son went yesterday and bought me a larger, oval table and chair set for Mother's Day and after knitting on mine with its thickness.... it is now to be a blanket as well! I'm on round 128 so will probably only go to 131 and then bind off. BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD~~~

Minou
05-08-2008, 04:33 PM
What about a superwash wool for a baby blanket? I know a lot of people do it, but if acrylic catches fire, it melts. Wool puts itself out and is much safer for items that may be left on sleeping babies. After seeing how these look before blocking, I am really in love with wool and its ability to relax and stretch into whatever shape I need. Acrylic won't do that unless it starts that way. I had to give up a scarf I knit with acrylic because it looked awful no matter what I did and I can't heat block it.

Cascade 220 Superwash may be a good option, especially if you don't mind a smaller blanket. I'd do it on smaller needles like 7's or 8's so little toes won't poke through wide open lace. Webs has it on sale right now. You can also do a keyword search on Webs for "Superwash" to find a dozen or so brands available in worsted weight.

Good luck! This will make a sweet baby blanket in a finer yarn.

mwhite
05-08-2008, 05:09 PM
I just got an email and my yarn is on the way. BTW mary I got the pattern, you will have to work your magic on it because I do not understand it at all. besides it being German there are symbols on there I have never seen before.

:waah: :waah: :waah: :pout: Hmmm, now I have a girlfriend that might possibly can help us! I'll check with her this evening and see if she'll help us decipher it.... and she knits, too! :woot:

1to1
05-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the tips...I'll have to see if my LYS has superwash Cascade. Should I double strand it? She isn't due until October and I don't even know if she is having a girl. I just want to have one on hand. :wink:

I'm still working on the Alita.

Minou
05-09-2008, 11:48 AM
If you double-strand on 9's or 10's, you'll end up with about 36-40" if you knit the pattern without extensions. I did that with regular 220 and it took about 4 1/2 skeins. It gives great definition and was squishy and wonderful. I was aiming for a similar gauge to Eco Wool, but the 220 is a much lighter weight, hence the double strands on the larger needles. I swatched single on 6's and 7's, but got a much lighter fabric. I knit stockinette square swatches first to try to find the gauge that felt dense and warm and went with that. Lace opens up a bit, so my feeling is to go a little tight so I still have something to work with when it's blocked. A baby blanket doesn't have to be quite as hearty, so see what feels best for you. If you do hold double to knit the blanket, it works very well to drop one strand and do the bind-off held single.

The great thing about Cascade is it feels great to work with and it comes in almost every color you can imagine. If your LYS carries any Cascade, they can order the Superwash for you and will probably have the color cards for you to look at. Otherwise, http://www.cascadeyarns.com/cascadeyarns.asp is the link to all the Cascade yarns and you can peruse the Superwash colors available. Webs also has good color photos. Tahki Torino is another superwash with some really pretty baby colors.

I think I'm going to do the Alita in dark green Cascade 220 held single on smaller needles. I don't want it to be huge and that pattern already has 130 rounds. It's so pretty though!

Minou
05-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I just started knitting a Baby Surprise Jacket in Cascade Superwash 220 and I'm doing it on 5's. Holding it double on 9's or 10's would work quite well for a Hemlock Ring. It's lovely to work with and has a good squish factor. I'm really enjoying this yarn!

Karina
05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I finally finished the bind off today. :woot: :woot:

Have not taken any pictures yet. at the moment it looks a bit like an old rag. Hopefully that will improve.

I think next time I'm going to learn to crochet as that bind off nearly killed me.

I think it would be much easier to do a normal bind off and then crochet a nice edge after.

Minou
05-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I'd suggest learning the crochet bind-off. It's very easy and using a crochet hook is not difficult. It also uses much less yarn than the usual Hemlock bind-off. It's not as thick and structured, but it works. The bind-off is part of why I resist knitting a lot of additional pattern repeats. It's bad enough with the original number of stitches without adding hundreds more. It takes 18 stitches to bind off four in the Hemlock. That's a lot of knitting!

I think normal bind-offs aren't usually done on lace because they don't stretch very well. The Hemlock is particularly bad and wants to be a beret until you force it to be a blanket.

I can't wait to see your photos!

mwhite
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
I finally finished the bind off today. :woot: :woot:

Have not taken any pictures yet. at the moment it looks a bit like an old rag. Hopefully that will improve.

I think next time I'm going to learn to crochet as that bind off nearly killed me.

I think it would be much easier to do a normal bind off and then crochet a nice edge after.

:yay: :yay: :woohoo: :woohoo: :cheering: :cheering: :woot: :woot:

Can't wait to see it!

taconsolo
05-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks Mary. I'm currently on row 133 of your enlarged chart. How did you know how to expand the chart? I have an additional skein of yarn and would love to make it even larger...although I have no idea where in the world I'll block it if I make it bigger... how did you know where to put the additional k1's before and after the ssk/k2tog's?

Thanks for all the advise ladies!

mwhite
05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks Mary. I'm currently on row 133 of your enlarged chart. How did you know how to expand the chart? I have an additional skein of yarn and would love to make it even larger...although I have no idea where in the world I'll block it if I make it bigger... how did you know where to put the additional k1's before and after the ssk/k2tog's?

Thanks for all the advise ladies!

You're welcome, Tora! How much larger do you want to go? If you'll look overall at the written instructions, you might be able to figure it out but trying to explain it is another matter. LOL! I'll gladly help you.

taconsolo
05-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Hi Mary,

Well I thought I'd be able to make it 2 additional patern repeats passed 151, but it doesn't look promising. I'm on my 4th skein of Cascade Ecological wool at round 149. I'm really anxious to bind off so I think I;ll just take it to 151 and then bind off.

It's looking really big!

Thanks to all for all your help ! :grphug:

taconsolo
05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Gino, Mary & Karina!

I just finished blocking and I'm sooooo psyched! It came out perfect! I used up almost all of the 4 skeins of Cascade Ecological Wool and it's as wide as my queen sized bed....I have it drying as I type.

i can't thank you all enough for the help you gave. The written directions were perfect.

Thnks again

Tora, in Chagrin Falls, Ohio:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Lisa1216
05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Ohhh!! I can't wait to see it!! :cheering: I really need to work on binding mine off. I'm about a third of the way done. Please post some pics when you get them! Thanks!

mwhite
05-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Gino, Mary & Karina!

I just finished blocking and I'm sooooo psyched! It came out perfect! I used up almost all of the 4 skeins of Cascade Ecological Wool and it's as wide as my queen sized bed....I have it drying as I type.

i can't thank you all enough for the help you gave. The written directions were perfect.

Thnks again

:cheering: :woohoo: :woot: :yay: :yay: :woohoo: :cheering: :woot: Bet it's awesome! Can't wait to see it! :muah:

Karina
05-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Well done Tora, don't tease us show some pictures.

I have planned to block mine this weekend with DH keeping the kids occupied while washing and pinning it. Was going to use our 14 ft trampoline in the garden because it has been really hot here lately, but the weather has changed and it is now cold and raining, so have to rethink.

mwhite
05-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Where IS our "DudewithSticks"????

mwhite
05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
On the bind off!!! Boy is it a pain in the patoodie!!! I know, I know, Minou, I shoulda done the crocheted bo...live and learn

Minou
05-20-2008, 06:40 PM
I've bound off two of the stinkers with the bind off as written! It does create a more substantial edge and I like the effect, but the crochet bind off is soooooo much faster.

domiknitrix
05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
UGH!!! I am ready to pull my hair out and I thought I was doing so well.
On line 47 do I knit 9 stitches and move the marker. Fine. Which means I will be moving all the markers. My problem is at the end.
Note: the 1st 9 sts will be worked at the beg of the round when the marker is moved and again at the end of the round).

So, I moved the marker and knit 9 stitches placed the marker and started the chart. When I get to the last set, do I knit the chart and then move the marker and knit 9 stitches again.
I was doing good until this row. I have knit this row and taken it out and redid it and tinked back thinking I did something horribly wrong and now I worked myself back up but I am still wondering about the last part.
Thanks for any help.:hair:

Karina
05-24-2008, 03:54 AM
Domiknit you get to round 47, knit 9 stitches place the marker and then do the chart as written, the first 9 stitches of the round becomes the last 9 stitches in the pattern chart and are there fore on row 47 knit twice. when the last 9 stitches have been knit your come to your newly places marker and start round 48. Hope that makes sense.

just knit the 9 stitches move the marker and think of no 10 stitch as being number one and start the chart. follow the chart until you get to the new number one stitch again. Once you are actually knitting it is probably less confusing than what I just wrote. I followed the chart on the Rainey Sisters web site.

DudeWithSticks
05-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Yes, a life line is good if you don't want to rip it out. It's just a good thing since you have so many stitches on the needle. It's a little time comsuming, but when you get to the end of the row and you don't have enough stitches or too many, you don't feel so bad when you have to rip it out to the lifeline! Good luck Karina!

DudeWithSticks
05-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Hi Gino, Mary & Karina!

Thnks again

Hey Tora,
Congrats on finishing! How large did you make the blanket? I used almost 2.33 hanks of the eco. The bind off takes so much yarn.... Did you go all the way to the end of Mary's directions?
Want to see photos soon!

DudeWithSticks
05-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi Karina,
I don't know if you did what you said you were doing as far as knitting nine stitiches and moving your markers. But Mary's directions didn't do that and she followed Jared's original directions.
I am posting a pdf of the directions that I wrote out from start to finish!
Take care and good luck!

DudeWithSticks
05-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi All,
I'm baaaaaaaaaack! Hope all is well and it looks like everyone is doing the bind off...
I want to see photos people!
Sorry it's been so long, just trying to catch up on all the posts. I got back from HI, had to fly to AZ and work, came back and got the flu! Then my dog got sick and it's been a little crazy since! Anyway, much better now and looking to start the "E" KAL. Maybe I'll get that going on Sunday and I can see how far I can get with the holiday.
Hope everyone is well otherwise...
And see you on the other thread!
xoxo
Gino

DudeWithSticks
05-24-2008, 05:36 PM
For some odd reason, I can't upload the PDF to my first post. It let me edit it, but not attach anything. Maybe one of the moderators can possibly do it?
Anyway, here is the PDF from start to finish. Sorry I didn't get it done sooner, but it's always nice to have. Hope everyone gets it and good luck on the future Hemlocks.
Oh and Karina, check out row 47 on this pattern, it won't mess up your markers!

mwhite
05-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, I've decided to either frog my Hemlock or turn it into mini-tent or an ottoman cover. You all know I made it from a cotton/acrylic blend. I soaked it today and attempted to block with NO success. :tap:

A Couple of Lessons I learned:

1. If making the Hemlock Ring with a lace weight, cotton or cotton blend yarn, only do the original patterns rounds.

2. If you wish to extend the Hemlock Ring with extensions, in a cotton or cotton/blend, on the feather and fan rounds, only knit 2 rounds of plain knit instead of the 4 between increase rounds.

That's it! Back to the drawing board on this one! I'll be sifting through my stash to find enough of a nice cotton (glutton for punishment:pout: :pout: ) and will be starting over.

DudeWithSticks
05-24-2008, 06:21 PM
DO WOOL MARY!!! OMG!!! I feel for you! I DO I DO!!!

mwhite
05-24-2008, 07:27 PM
I may have to use wool but really wanted a cotton and really wanted a tablecloth. The Knitpicks laceweight "Gloss" is gorgeous, wool and by cutting down on the knit rounds and the extension, it might work but only as a shawl, which I'd never have opportunity to wear or use. Guess I could make one as a Christmas gift for my "Ohio Resident" sister. It's just not cold enough here to use wool very often even as a blanket.

Lisa1216
05-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I finally got this thing BO last night!! Now to block it.

Mary-Sorry it's not blocking for you! Mine is a cotton/angora blend, so I'm hoping it blocks out okay. As soon as I get some more yarn, I'll be joining in on the Egeblad KAL.

Have a great weekend everyone and I'll post pics as soon as I get it blocked.

mwhite
05-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Can't wait to see your pictures, Lisa!!!

Got my Hemlock completely frogged, yarn wound and will be starting over in a few days. I've decided to use the TLC Cotton Plus again and just use 2 rounds of plain knit between increase rounds this time... may even use just one! We shall see!

1to1
05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Mary, I'm curious to see how the cotton works out. As much as I love the Eco Wool...not very practicable for a baby blanket.

Sorry you have to frog.

mwhite
05-28-2008, 10:57 AM
I agree and have decided that this one will be a blanket for my DGD's bed. She's two so all forms of UCK may get on it and it'll have to be washed often.

mwhite
06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Okay, today I reached round 87 of my second attempt to do the Hemlock Ring with a cotton blend by only using one row of plain knit between increase rounds and have come to one conclusion....

IT CAN'T BE DONE WITH A COTTON/ACRYLIC BLEND AND NOBODY SHOULD ATTEMPT THIS AND EXPECT IT TO BLOCK OR LAY OUT PROPERLY

I am abandoning the idea of using a cottonblend for this pattern!!! I'm so disgusted with it, will try again with a 100% wool later in the year, cooler weather!!!

DudeWithSticks
06-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Ahhhh Mary! That's too bad... and bites the big one. Okay folks, gotta catch up on the other KAL. I am going to try and read through all of the posts before I ask my questions! See you on the "otherside" LOL

Lisa1216
06-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Here are the pics of my Hemlock! They look kind of dark to me even though I used the flash.....

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3044/2572169599_747db31baf.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2572993488_065952f974.jpg?v=0

mwhite
06-12-2008, 10:24 AM
OMG!!! IT'S ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! Great job, Lisa!!! How many rounds did you do and what does it measure out?