PDA

View Full Version : Did you know - keeping cords tangle free (crochet related!)

WildMountainHoney
04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
So my dad and I were talking about my kids and what we're doing, and I mentioned that my dd just loves to finger crochet. So he asked what that was - I started to giggle, because he does it himself, but didn't realize it! I tell him "well, start with a length of yarn, make a loop, reach through, pull a new loop through the first loop, and continue...." at which point he eagerly says "Oh! Like how I keep my cords organized!" Yep! He has a lot of cords and "stuff" in his garage, and ever since I was a kid, instead of rolling them, which causes tangles as you unroll, he's "looped" them, as he called it - tangle free! They lay nicely in looped piles, and the loops pull out as needed, and re-looping takes barely any time :thumbsup:

Cougar1
04-02-2008, 09:07 PM
We were required to do that to all of our cords when I worked as a carpenter's apprentice

WandaT
04-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Way cool!!!! I never thought of doing this!

remclave
04-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I do it too. Now if I could get the men in my life to do the same when they're done using the cords, I wouldn't have to go in after them and clean up! :(

Inis
04-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I do it too. Now if I could get the men in my life to do the same when they're done using the cords, I wouldn't have to go in after them and clean up! :(

I'm happy if my hubby gets it back into the same room from which he took it :teehee:

Newbie2Knitting
04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I co-sign with Inis. If my husband puts anything back remotely near where it actually belongs, we're doing great. I'll have to try that with our extension cords in the garage. I like that idea.

Little Audrey
04-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Heh, heh! Yes, this is also a nice way of making (temporary) rope. As to getting one's husband to re-do chain looping, get a Royal wool winder. It produces exactly the same type of ball that commercially wound cord comes in, and my husband finds the thing fascinating.

WildMountainHoney
04-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Neat to see other people were already using this trick :D

oh, and fyi, if you are careful of the loop size and packing (to prevent broken bulbs) it will work for holiday light strands too!