PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices in your area

Debkcs
04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
This may have been posted here before, but it's good to know information. If you plug in your information, the site will tell you the name and address of stations in your area so that you can choose the least expensive, if you wish.

http://www1.youreletters.com/t/1462376/27164975/845426/5061/

Jan in CA
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks!

Here's another one.
http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Dangles
04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
looks like the average here is 4.20 a gallon :passedout: for 87 ...

mwhite
04-03-2008, 01:52 PM
87 octane is $3.149

Wanda Witch
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
I see the average in our area (Dallas Metroplex) is $3.21. We buy at Costco nearby and the last time it was $3.05. Guess we are not as bad off as a lot of the country.

sinistral_needler
04-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I can remember when I was going through tech school (jr. college), gas was at $1.10 or less a gallon .. now it is $3.29 a gallon for 87 octane around here .. :whoosh:

KnittingNat
04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey, don't complain :rofl: Here we pay 1.7$ for liter of 95 octane (which is the regular) ,so it's about 6.8$ per gallon :passedout:

get_her_donne
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Hmm I think I wish I had a horse to drive...they might be cheaper.

Plantgoddess+
04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Hmm I think I wish I had a horse to drive...they might be cheaper.
You may not want to do that either, hay is running over $200 a ton here right now. It was over $100 a ton during haying season.
Gas is about $3.35/gal here right now. Diesel is about $4.20.

knitncook
04-03-2008, 07:32 PM
I know what the average price is of the three closest gas stations. As long as it isn't more than 5¢ a gallon difference I'll fill up at the closest one. The Citgo up the street seems to be 3¢ cheaper a gallon than the one just around the corner. My dh works in Alabama where they have fewer state taxes on their gas, so it generally runs between 5¢-10¢ a gallon cheaper. He always fills up over there. The difference of 3¢ a gallon is only about 50¢ to fill my tank. My time running around to find the "best price" isn't worth the 50¢.

What I find funny is that there is a Shell station right across the street from a Raceway. The Shell station is always at least 15¢ more expensive. *And* they get their gas from the same place! I kid you not. I watched the gas truck leave the Shell station and drive to the Raceway to deliver gas.

KnitClickChick
04-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I remember when I started seeing my boyfriend about 12 years ago - gas was 89 cents at Sheetz.

ecb
04-03-2008, 08:12 PM
we have up to 30c diff in price per gallon here sometimes, especially i you drive to the state capital. we can have esy 20c diff from one town to the next
what freaks me out so much, is that the poorer communities tend to have the higher prices, the more upper middle class ones the Lower cost.
anyone else notice this?

ecb

knitncook
04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
I remember when I started seeing my boyfriend about 12 years ago - gas was 89 cents at Sheetz.

OK, I'm feeling old. In 1988 I was paying 52¢ a gallon for regular leaded gas for my '72 Superbeetle. I could fill my tank for just at $5 and go for nearly 2 weeks on one tank of gas. Of course it also cost about the same every 2 weeks for oil :teehee: . I miss that car! I miss those gas prices.

HollyP
04-04-2008, 10:14 AM
I was just talking about this the other day. I distinctly remember the day gas went above $ 0.99. I was just starting to drive and had to pay my own gas. Boy was I ticked to have to pay $ 12 - 14 at the pump every 2 weeks or so. If I had only known that that I would get excited to see gas at $3.00. The cheapest around here yesterday was $3.11.

feministmama
04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
we have up to 30c diff in price per gallon here sometimes, especially i you drive to the state capital. we can have esy 20c diff from one town to the next
what freaks me out so much, is that the poorer communities tend to have the higher prices, the more upper middle class ones the Lower cost.
anyone else notice this?

ecb

I teach women's studies classes and every term we make students do a class project around raising awareness. One group went to stores in a poor neighborhood and a better off neighborhood. THey recorded how much was a gallon of milk, and gas and stuff like that. THey reported across the board, things were cheaper in the well of neighborhood and more expensive in the poor neighborhood.

Plantgoddess+
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
OK, I'm feeling old. In 1988 I was paying 52¢ a gallon for regular leaded gas for my '72 Superbeetle. I could fill my tank for just at $5 and go for nearly 2 weeks on one tank of gas. Of course it also cost about the same every 2 weeks for oil :teehee: . I miss that car! I miss those gas prices.
Now you're really making me feel old. When I started driving gas was $.29/gal.

Jan in CA
04-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Now you're really making me feel old. When I started driving gas was $.29/gal.

I remember being able to fill up my VW Bug for about $3. Now it's about $45 or more for a fill up. :zombie:

bjc1050
04-05-2008, 06:47 PM

AAAAWWW! It was $.25 a gal. when I 1st started driving. Quite a shock today. Saw it for $3.23 for regular.

bjc1050
04-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I remember being able to fill up my VW Bug for about $3. Now it's about $45 or more for a fill up. :zombie:

It only took $2.00 to fill our mini Cooper in 1967.

MerigoldinWA
04-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Right here in my little burg the cheapest gas is $3.52 and I can drive to another station owned by some people from out of the area and they sell it for $3.38, so I drive over there (5 or 6 miles and often on my way somewhere). Diesel is about $4.29 I think.

Yes, I have noticed high prices in low income areas. We are a low income area here and most everyone has to drive longer distances for services and prices are HIGH.

Jen17
04-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I live in Newport, RI and I remember riding around the "Ocean Drive", (in high school) for fun, about 20 times a night. When we would get low on gas, someone else would kick in the 50 cents per gallon, we would go the gas station and put in one more gallon.....!

Yesterday it was $3.15 ...down from $3.21 last week. Wow!

Jen:knitting:

Debkcs
04-06-2008, 12:43 PM
And on top of all that, to really let you know how old I am, do you remember 'gas wars'? Stations near each other would have competing prices. When I was in HS, the lowest I remember was 19 cents a gallon.

"Those were the days, my friend,
We thought they'd never end . . ."

texas1107`
04-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow, there is a lot of different pricing. Wonder why that is?? It's not like one place has more drivers than the other and we all have basically the higher end companies, ie. Exxon Mobil and such, so, why is it that one state pays so much more than another??
Mine right now is $3.11

texas1107`
04-06-2008, 01:02 PM
And on top of all that, to really let you know how old I am, do you remember 'gas wars'? Stations near each other would have competing prices. When I was in HS, the lowest I remember was 19 cents a gallon.

"Those were the days, my friend,
We thought they'd never end . . ."

I remember the odd and even license plate days. My mom would sit in a line of about 10 cars to get her chance to get fuel on her days. That was sad. She would always worry about running out.

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't worry about it, my recumbent bicycle gets 50 miles to a hamburger. :mrgreen:

GinnyG
04-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Upstate NY seems to be always one of the higest areas in the country. I stopped on my way home tonight and filled up with regular gas, paying $3.51.9 a gallon:waah:

KnitWit1987
04-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I know this is horrible, but I have no idea how much gas is here in Colorado. I just fill er' up - don't even pay attention.

stitchwitch
04-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't worry about it, my recumbent bicycle gets 50 miles to a hamburger. :mrgreen:
How the heck do you get that far on just one hamburger. I've bonked out at 12 miles on a single hamburger. Are you eating at Five Guys or something?:roflhard:
On topic: Gas is $3.36 here today.

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 07:48 PM
How the heck do you get that far on just one hamburger. I've bonked out at 12 miles on a single hamburger. Are you eating at Five Guys or something?:roflhard:
On topic: Gas is $3.36 here today.

Ahhh, the joys of the recumbent and living in a relatively flat state. :mrgreen:

nonny2t
04-10-2008, 03:45 PM
We here in Memphis are $3.06 or at least were yesterday , but you know the dang stuff changes like hourly!

We just took a trip up north through Missouri where it was $3.18 I think and Illinois, where Mayor Daly gets his hunk and it was something like $3.39 around Chicago. Northwest Indiana was $3.27.

That's nothing. We rented an suv with a little over 7000 miles on it and had a major blowout in a driving rain storm in the middle of the night. The rental company couldn't get anyone to come out and change it in the rain, we couldn't because we were on the interstate in the middle of Arkansas and no flashlights! We ended up calling 911 and got a wonderful Blytheville police officer that not only stayed with us shining his light on the suv so Jack could change it, but he HELPED!!! On top of that, the rental car company said we had to replace the tire with what was on the car to the tune of $245 and they weren't going to reimburse us even though the tire was defective (it peeled off away from the rim all the way around.) If we didn't replace it, they would charge our credit card to purchase a new tire anyway. We had to fight for 3 days to get them to give us our money back, which we are still waiting to see if they do, so beware folks that the rental companies expect you to pay for the thing unless you take their high priced roadside assistance!!!!

lelvsdgs
04-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Regular self serve is $3.89, diesel is $4.29... We are hurting up here.

Debkcs
04-11-2008, 11:30 AM
You're paying a fifty cents more in Humboldt County than we are in Salem, OR. Quite a difference.

This whole situation is so out of control. They're paying farmers to grow corn for ethanol, which takes more money to produce, and wastes water and other resources; yet they won't start drilling in Alaska. The majority of folks in Alaska want drilling. We're also not serious about clean coal, or nuclear power.

I guess we do get the government we vote for.

Alyce
04-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Here in Knoxville , TN gas is $3.13-3.15/gal. I don't go to Citgo because it is owned by Hugo Chavez in Venezuala(sp?) and he is an avowed America hater. BP only uses domestic oil and gas so I try to fill up there when ever I can. the Shell station near me is always at least $.5 higher than anywhere else so I try not to ever go there, plus they use foriegn oil.
Just my IMHO

Pat in Ca
04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Yes,, I totally agree that the US needs to wake up start drilling in Alaska and elsewhere to become energy independent...Republicans in congress have tried to pass legislation to begin drilling in Alaska....Democrats in Congress have voted down recent efforts..We (the US) will not remain strong without producing AND refining our own oil...The sad thing is that all three presidential candidates oppose drilling in Alaska...If you care..email your candidate of choice and let your opinion be known..

Oh.. yes.. ethonol has been the biggest failure..the production of this "biofuel" (driven by the misconception that it was friendlier to the environment) has produced mass GLOBAL STARVATION!!!

Pat in Ca
04-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Did you hear McCain wants to temporarily eliminate the Federal gas tax for the summer? That would be a 24 cent reduction on diesel and 18 cent reduction on regular.. Yahoo.. wouldn't that be nice!

Knitting_Guy
04-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Did you hear McCain wants to temporarily eliminate the Federal gas tax for the summer? That would be a 24 cent reduction on diesel and 18 cent reduction on regular.. Yahoo.. wouldn't that be nice!

While that might help a little it's really only a bandaid for a huge problem. Besides, that tax money is supposed to go towards road and bridge construction and repairs (if they'd stop using it for pet projects that is). It would eventually result in higher taxes in other areas or even more toll roads to pay for those things so it wouldn't really help in the long run.

Pat in Ca
04-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Well, at least it is some relief...
The problem is a basic one.. supply/demand...China and India are growing like wildfire and that has increased the demand for oil..
Unfortunately, the US Congress has refused to allow us to drill for oil in Alaska , and put up barriers to drill elsewhere, and build refineries...We need to wake up and go get the oil that could provide our country with energy independence..
Prices will never go down unless we find more oil (supply goes up).. or demand goes down (unlikely),,, so write your congressman about your feelings on the matter, whatever they are..

Debkcs
04-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Since the government consistently refuses to allow drilling, or the building of new refineries (the last was built 25 years ago), I wonder who is buying them off. Is it the gas companies themselves, or is it pressure from other countries so that we have to continue funding their extravagances.

BTW, I'm not cynical :gah:

Nixy
04-23-2008, 06:17 AM
Here in the UK petrol and diesel range from £1.10-£1.25 per litre (that's nearly £6 per gallon!) That's roughly $11.95 per gallon in US dollars by today's exchange rate.

The prices have just gone up so much over here recently, and over half the price paid is tax. It's just too much.....that's why one of my friends now runs their car on vegetable oil.

mare-nitt
04-23-2008, 06:50 AM
I just paid 3.49 a gallon yesterday in Wisconsin. And rumor has it will go up 10 cents by the end of this week.
There is nothing we can do about it, we need to buy it, but I guess we are more aware of the cost of travels these days. We don't like it, but we are adjusting. Just alot more home time and cheap entertainment, like knitting.
It is interesting to see the different prices all over.

lelvsdgs
04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
It's now $3.99 for unleaded and $4.50 for diesel. I just got back from Portland OR where I got unleaded for $3.45 a gallon... I hadn't had to buy gas since August and it was quite a shock...

snowbear
04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
We need more refineries. We need to use the "Surplus Oil" we have stock piled ofr the next 200 yrs.. If we built more refieneries, used some of the stock pile oil, we would be able to reduce the need for foreign oil. By 200 yrs.. we may not even need oil.
But.. that is just mho

starburst
04-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Vashon Island in Washington just broke the $4 mark

Karina
04-27-2008, 04:50 AM
I worked out the price that we pay in the UK a couple of days ago. We paid $9.20 i think it came to. The price has since gone up again because i think BP is on strike and everybody is panic buying.
cost me $120.00 to fill the tank yesterday.

Plantgoddess+
04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I worked out the price that we pay in the UK a couple of days ago. We paid $9.20 i think it came to. The price has since gone up again because i think BP is on strike and everybody is panic buying.
cost me $120.00 to fill the tank yesterday.
:thud: :thud: :thud:

Knitting_Guy
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Actually supply and demand has little to do with what is happening with oil prices at the moment. The biggest problem is speculation on the commodities market. The speculators are the ones who have driven up the market.

Many of us are demanding that our representatives take action to have oil removed from the market and placed back on the regulated market just as it was before they stupidly allowed it to be placed on the commodities market in the first place. Legislation is currently being considered to do just that.

suzeeq
04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Yep, oil prices as well as the stock market, are highly manipulated by the big wheels trying to make a few more bucks (or millions of them).

Debkcs
04-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Legislation is currently being considered to do just that.

From your lips to God's ear!

I was at Costco yesterday, and watched as they took down one price and put up another at $3.50/gal.

Didn't cost me $120.00 to fill up my tank, and I really feel for anyone who has to pay that, but $41.00 is bad enough. We're already only filling up twice a month and doing everything possible not drive anywhere we don't have to.

bjc1050
04-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Actually supply and demand has little to do with what is happening with oil prices at the moment. The biggest problem is speculation on the commodities market. The speculators are the ones who have driven up the market.

Many of us are demanding that our representatives take action to have oil removed from the market and placed back on the regulated market just as it was before they stupidly allowed it to be placed on the commodities market in the first place. Legislation is currently being considered to do just that.

I sure don't want to hear that these speculators need a government bailout when the oil "bubble" finally bursts...like the real estate speculators who are currently facing foreclosures. It would only add insult to injury.

bjc1050
04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
I paid $3.39 a gal...$28 for a half tank this past Thursday. Counted myself lucky because other stations posted $3.45 a gal. I usually only need to get gas about every other week and I think prices were on the rise locally because of the Apple Blossom Festival coming up this week. Hoping when that has passed prices will level off a teeny bit.

Pat in Ca
04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
I think we cannot ignore the fact that demand (expecially in China and India with big populations) has grown and will continue to grow...if the supply does not grow prices are going higher, so better get used to it.

We need to increase our supply and drill and refine more oil..

IMHO

The Future of Oil

Oil was first discovered in the U.S. in 1859. At the beginning of the 20th century it supplied only 4% of the world’s energy; decades later it became the most important energy source.
Today oil supplies about 40% of the world’s energy and 96% of its transportation energy. Since the shift from coal to oil, the world has consumed over 875 billion barrels. Another 1,000 billion barrels of proved and probable reserves remain to be recovered.

From now to 2020, world oil consumption will rise by about 60%. Transportation will be the fastest growing oil-consuming sector. By 2025, the number of cars will increase to well over 1.25 billion from approximately 700 million today. Global consumption of gasoline could double.

The two countries with the highest rate of growth in oil use are China and India, whose combined populations account for a third of humanity. In the next two decades, China's oil consumption is expected to grow at a rate of 7.5% per year and India’s 5.5%. (Compare to a 1% growth for the industrialized countries). It will be strategically imperative for these countries to secure their access to oil.

Knitting_Guy
04-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Nice cut and paste, but the reality is that the price of oil these days is not determined by supply and demand but rather by speculation on the commodity market. That's an established fact. That has to end right now.

We need to get off the oil train as fast as possible. Oil supplies are still there but they are limited and will eventually run out. We should be seriously developing other ideas regarding our energy needs.

Pat in Ca
04-28-2008, 01:50 AM
I agree we need to keep looking for alternative fuel, but look at the big mess we are in because of the biofuel ethonol.. It is estimated that 30 percent of our grain is now used to make ethonol.. and people are starving.. have you read about the riots all over the world due to food shortages? The ethonol experiment has been a big failure with unintended consequences..we will be hearing more about this as the crisis gets worse..

As it stands today our world runs on fossil fuels..did you read about the huge find in the gulf of mexico?? the earth creates fossil fuel.. yes, we need to develp other alternatives... nuclear//wind...solar.. etc..but we can't ignore the fact that if we drill in Alaska and the Gulf, it would increase the supply and be good for us all..

Debkcs
04-28-2008, 04:33 AM
Mason, I agree with you 100% except for one thing. This debate isn't new, it's been going on for as long as I've been driving, which is a long time, and nothing substantive has been done. We know where the oil is and how to drill for it. We also know that sooner or later one or more of the oil countries is going to cut us off, and we'll grind to a halt.

A friend of ours who is a native Alaskan took a dollar bill out of his wallet. He laid it down in the kitchen and said,"Your whole house is Alaska. The kitchen is the Artic National Wildlife Reserve. The dollar bill is the area that will be impacted by drilling."

He's one of the engineers who is ready to go when the time comes, and like most Alaskans, can hardly wait for the jobs and income it will bring.

If it's estimated to cost $25.00/barrel to produce, what are we waiting for? Why give control over us to foreign governments?

Pat in Ca
04-28-2008, 10:07 AM
I have been reading about another HUGE find of oil in North Dakota..
The cost of getting to it is expensive with new methods like "horizontal drilling".. I don't think we can eliminate the speculators in any market, but if we "just announced" we were gonna get get the oil we have they would "speculate" that the supply would go up... right now they are speculatiing that supplies are limited because environmentalist are against drilling , refining, and even nuclear energy development..the speculators are right.. ALL THREE
presidential candidates are against drilling in Alaska.. Congress tells oil companies they can't drill there..then blames them for the supply being limited.. that's crazy IMO BTW... is there anyone from North Dakota that knows about this new find there? I heard on MSNBC this AM that the residents around the area are very excited about the jobs this would create..

lelvsdgs
04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
It went from $3.99 to $4.09 in about 6 hours here. Diesel is now above $4.50. And that was Sunday, who knows what it is today. I don't know what people are going to do here where things are far apart and the public transit is sorely lacking. Are people going to have to choose between gas and food? Some folks already are.

cftwo
04-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not at all sure I have a solution, beyond juggling my budget. My guess is that it's not just one reason, but probably a bunch of them, which makes the problem that much more difficult to solve. I'm just counting my blessings that I drive a pretty efficient car and live less than 5 miles from where I work, and can do the vast majority of my errands locally, or at most within a 15 mile radius. And heaven knows I have enough of a stash of both yarn and cross-stitch projects that I could keep myself entertained cheaply for quite some time.

Knitting_Guy
04-28-2008, 03:35 PM
One of the biggest problems with using our own oil drilled here is that our oil is not light sweet crude, but is sour crude. It's much harder and more expensive to refine to the point that it meets our EPA and other standards to be usable here. That's why we sell the bulk of what we pump here to countries like Japan and China who have less regulations and don't really care what they burn.

Simply pumping more of our own oil isn't going to solve the cost problems because the additional refining needed to make it burnable under our standards would raise the costs even higher. Catch 22, because if we lower our standards we'll be pumping out much more pollution than we are now. Remember the standards will be getting even more strict in 2010. Accepting higher levels of air pollution is hardly a good trade off for lower fuel prices.

Until prices get so high that people can simply no longer afford to buy the fuel, there is no real incentive for the energy companies or the government to spend the money needed to convert to better alternatives.

I agree that burning food for fuel is insane. Ethanol also produces more NOx into the air than regular gasoline or diesel does. It's more polluting and only serves to reduce food supplies and drive up food costs.

Hydrogen is the most plentiful known element in the universe and is very clean burning. We already have the technology to produce hydrogen powered vehicles, we simply haven't spent the money on the distribution system needed to make it widely available to everyone who would own such a vehicle.

Mass producing hydrogen powered vehicles and phasing out over a period of time oil burning vehicles would solve the issues of fuel availability, air pollution caused by vehicles, and, because it's so plentiful and cheap to produce, fuel prices.

Many of the power plants that currently burn oil or coal could be converted over to burning hydrogen pretty easily and at a reasonable cost. They simply have no reason to do so at the moment. Making hydrogen more readily available would give them a real financial reason to make the switch.

Building hydrogen production and distribution will take some time and money. The longer we wait to get started on the obvious solution the longer we'll be dealing with these oil issues.

evona
04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree Mason. We need to do more to develop hydrogen fuel; unfortunately, at this point too many people with the power to start development have a hand in the pocket of oil and are simply unwilling, nevermind the their vitriol, to forgo their current profits.

We also NEED to stop being afraid of the word nuclear. End of story!!! Everything else, including wind power, solar power and bio-fuels are just bandaids on a hemorrhage.

Pat in Ca
04-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree Mason.. Hydrogen offers promise.. but as you say, it will take TIME AND MONEY..if we had started drilling in Anwr back in 1994 (Clinton Vetoed that bill) we would be seeing that oil today..
We have oil in Anwr, The Gulf of Mexico , and North Dakota..we have ways to get to the oil that would be environmentally friendly..
What is the resistance all about? The US needs to at least TRY to produce our own energy..
In my mind, if we refuse to go get the oil we have in this country, we deserve to pay the price of higher oil prices..and we will see higher prices as the demand grows..

You can get mad at the oil companies all you want, but if we start taxing them, gas will be more expensive, they will just pass down the taxes to the little guy..

I believe we need to try ALL OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO US..Conservation, alternative fuel, and drilling for our own oil.. what is the downside for trying all alternatives??? One of them will eventually lead to a solution.. Let's hope..

Also, I have a question knitting guy... do all truckers have to pay for their own gas?? I guess I don't really understand how that works..
Can you enlighten me??

suzeeq
04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
As Mason pointed out though, the oil in ANWR is useless to us; that's always been the flaw with Alaskan oil. We'd have to sell it overseas just as we do the oil coming down the Alaska pipeline now. And while that may help lower prices in the overall market, it's definitely not help for prices today. It's going to take several years to set up and start drilling and get it into the market. Haven't you noticed the correlation with higher crude oil prices in the commodities future market with big jumps at the gas stations? That's what the price of gas is based on, not what the price of oil was a few weeks ago when it was bought and refined into gasoline, but what the price of oil may be a few weeks from now. And it's really funny that when the futures price of oil goes down, the price of gas never really drops all that much, usually just a few pennies, not the 20 and 30 cent jumps like when the price goes up....

Jan in CA
04-29-2008, 12:45 PM
The powerful oil companies are also a big threat to producing hydrogen fueled cars. :hair:

suzeeq
04-29-2008, 12:59 PM
Yep, and they're in cahoots with the car companies too.

Anyone catch Bush's press conference this morning where he basically blamed congress for the higher prices? Yeah, right.....

evona
04-29-2008, 01:11 PM
The powerful oil companies are also a big threat to producing hydrogen fueled cars. :hair:

Yep!!

Yep, and they're in cahoots with the car companies too.

Anyone catch Bush's press conference this morning where he basically blamed congress for the higher prices? Yeah, right.....

and, yep yep!!!!!

This all just frustrates me to pieces!!!!!!! :hair: :hair:

As long as our dollars at the pump are lining their pockets nothing will be done until there are all out riots and all our natural resources are tapped out!

Also regarding the ANWR, et al. Lets not be rash! Think about the future please. Even if we COULD refine it to our levels here in the states, there isn't enough to quench demand for very long - and then what???? Drilled, ruined environment that will never be replaced and our kids and grandkids will have it even worse than us. Smart development must be made. We MUST not make chicken little decisions because the politicians who don't really give a rats *** past the next election say the sky is falling and its our fault for not allowing them to drill ANWR!!!!!!! just my HO folks!!!

Terrycap
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
In Upstate, NY we are paying $3.80 a gallon. It's killing those in rural communities that don't have access to public transportation. I live close enough to walk, ride my bike or share one vehicle with my dh. We are seriously thinking of reducing to one vehicle and changing our lifestyle a bit. We also pay a huge amount for car insurance in NY.

evona
04-29-2008, 01:35 PM
In Upstate, NY we are paying $3.80 a gallon. It's killing those in rural communities that don't have access to public transportation. I live close enough to walk, ride my bike or share one vehicle with my dh. We are seriously thinking of reducing to one vehicle and changing our lifestyle a bit. We also pay a huge amount for car insurance in NY.

Same here. I just paid $3.83 at the cheapest gas station near me. Some are up around $3.87 or so. Unfortunately, I drive as little as I can and still go through at least a tank a week so there's not much to change. But there are many in worse positions than I so I try to count my blessings.

suzeeq
04-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Fortuately I live in a state with no gas taxes (they tax the fuel producers here) so we have some of the lowest prices in the country. But it's still up around $3.30/gal; I do only drive maybe 50-60 miles/week as I live very close to work and try to consolidate shopping trips.

lelvsdgs
04-29-2008, 04:23 PM
What's getting scary here is the amazing rise in prices for food and other goods. We are pretty isolated up here so everything gets trucked or shipped (by boat) in. It's getting harder and harder to feed a family because everything costs so much. I have never been a pessimistic person but things are looking pretty grim up here.

evona
04-29-2008, 05:29 PM
What's getting scary here is the amazing rise in prices for food and other goods. We are pretty isolated up here so everything gets trucked or shipped (by boat) in. It's getting harder and harder to feed a family because everything costs so much. I have never been a pessimistic person but things are looking pretty grim up here.

:hug: :hug: I'm sorry to hear that. I know its always been tough on the north coast!

Pat in Ca
04-29-2008, 05:47 PM
OK.. so if you are against drilling for our own oil, against building more refineries..against building more nuclear plants, I think we all agree that wind and solar and ethonal are useless..
maybe there is something in the future that will provide us with an alternative for our energy needs.. I myself think it is crazy to wait..

so I guess we have to be dependent on Hugo Chavez, and the Saudis, and others..and I guess we better get used to these high prices because they are probably gonna get higher...

I'm sure you have heard all the arguments about drilling without destroying the earth..

I don't see the value in blaming the oil companies when we tell them there are restrictions on where and when they can drill , and have so many refining restrictions..but if it makes you feel better go ahead... if we announced that we were going to get aggressive about producing our own oil, the "speculators" will "speculate" that maybe the supply will be going up to meet the demand..Does anyone think the demand for oil is going down in the future??
I don't think so.. do you??

Just my opinion..Oh.. and by the way, I don't want to destroy the earth, I feel that the earth provides the crude that has helped make it possible for the human beings on this earth to live better lives.. as I say, I hope I don't offend anyone.. I see things differently that most I guess..

evona
04-29-2008, 06:28 PM
OK.. so if you are against drilling for our own oil, against building more refineries..against building more nuclear plants, I think we all agree that wind and solar and ethonal are useless..
maybe there is something in the future that will provide us with an alternative for our energy needs.. I myself think it is crazy to wait..

Actually, in an earlier post I had mentioned that IMHO I think we need to get over our fear of the word nuclear and develop more nuclear power. I might be in the minority but I actually think that development of nuclear energy and education in the field is the best way to alleviate problems with older plants as well as our dependence on oil.

evona
04-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Just my opinion..Oh.. and by the way, I don't want to destroy the earth, I feel that the earth provides the crude that has helped make it possible for the human beings on this earth to live better lives.. as I say, I hope I don't offend anyone.. I see things differently that most I guess..

I am not offended and I hope no one else is either :) Healthy debate is good. My arguments are opinions as well. I certainly don't have a degree in any of these fields, but when I do I'll get back to you :wink:

Pat in Ca
04-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I have heard that France is leading the way with nuclear power..I have to look it up, but I have read that they meet most of their energy needs by nuclear plants...

Also, Knitting Guy... thanks for letting me know about the difference between Sour and Sweet Crude...I have a friend that works at Valero (one of the evil oil companies lol) and he said that they (Valero) has invented more sophisticated refining techniques and that much of the oil they refine is of the "lower quality" sour crude.. he said that that type is what we are getting from the Gulf of Mexico find... now that's what I'm talkin bout!! good ole American know how.. we can lick this problem if we put our minds to it!!

Pat in Ca
04-30-2008, 12:34 AM
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/04/start_drilling.html

This article will be in Newsweek.. it is dated today..I thought it was very good..