PDA

View Full Version : What would you do

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
with ten skeins of this: http://discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/pages/3218/Bamboo_Buy_The_Bag.htm in Esquire? I ordered one bag last night (and one ball of black Sockotta) because I'm fascinated with bamboo yarn. Now, do I add it to my stash until inspiration strikes me or actively look for a project? I am a new knitter and it has to be simple. I haven't even followed a pattern yet!

Plantgoddess+
04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I bought 2 skeins of 100% bamboo yarn at a lys and started a sock. I wasn't happy with the weight and feel and believe the sock would have ended up pooling around my ankles. I frogged and am now working on a lace scarf. I'm hoping it will block well to display the pattern. I probably should have done a simpler design, not so open.
I didn't see a lot of projects on ravelry using bamboo, most of what I did see were tops and lingerie.

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 03:03 PM
I think seeing and touching the yarn will help to plan for it. I think I will add it to my stash, finish the things on my needles, and then look for a project. Meanwhile, I am more than open to suggestions from you all! I wonder if I will regret having only ten skeins?

Plantgoddess+
04-04-2008, 03:07 PM
I think you will love the feel of it. The stuff I bought is soooo soft and silky feeling. I love working with it, but am still unsure what else I would make with it if I had more. To be honest I only spent about 1/2 hour searching and I only had 2 skeins.

knovice
04-04-2008, 04:20 PM
Tank top, as simple as you can find. Maybe this will be your inspiration to read your first pattern!

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm very intimidated by patterns. It's confusing. I'm watching videos. That helps. So, bamboo is a good weight and all for tank tops?

suzeeq
04-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Yes, it's very good. In case you missed it, here's a top pattern with Bernat Bamboo that might work with yours - http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2587 - their yarn may be bulkier than yours, but you could knit a larger size after you check your sts/inch.

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 08:10 PM
That's pretty! Thank you! Maybe Julianne will let me make her more than scarves!

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 08:13 PM
I downloaded that pattern. Thanks again!

Newbie2Knitting
04-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I would send it to Ohio, c/o Newbie2Knitting. ;)

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Send the finished tank top or the yarn?

Alyce
04-04-2008, 09:05 PM
I bought bamboo yarn to knit a sweater for summer. It is really soft and I think it will do really well. I had about 4" done when I found a mistake a few rows back. I started frogging and then decided that I didn't like the cast on and frogged the whole thing and started over with a different cast on. I really like the yarn though.

Cynamar
04-04-2008, 09:09 PM
I can't wait to feel it! I can't tell much about the color from the picture but it was a good price and I want to try bamboo so badly. If I like it I'm going to order the bouganvilla to make something for Julianne. Whether she likes it or not.

Cynamar
04-09-2008, 05:10 PM
This yarn came today. I LOVE it!!! It feels soooooo goooooood! I wasn't real sure about the color online but it's gorgeous in person. I have to brag while I'm here about Discontinued Brand name Yarns. I ordered this 10-pack of Bamboo and one skein of Sockotta. With each yarn order I got a free pattern plus I got a goodie bag. So, my grand total was $33.19 and for that I received ten skeins of Bamboo, one of Sockotta, two patterns, one Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Mini, a pair of needles, a pack of point protectors, a sample of Eucalon, a card with a pattern on it, and a Clover Products catalog. I think it was worth it--especially as I've seen the exact same Bamboo yarn in the same color for $13.50 a skein other places online. Now that I've seen and felt the Bamboo there are way too many things to do with it! I want more colors!

Plantgoddess+
04-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I paid $7.50 a skein at my LYS for the 2 skeins I got. It is sock weight. I finished the scarf I made with it yesterday and am disappointed that spring is finally arriveing here so I won't have a reason to wear it til fall.

Cynamar
04-10-2008, 05:28 PM
How many skeins did it take for your scarf?

Crycket
04-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh...I have some yarn all over the house that is just awaiting a project....

I have a galaxy sock yarn that is screaming for me to make socks!

Follow your heart...buy it now...and wait for the perfect project IMO

Cynamar
04-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks! It's stashed. There are so many perfect projects!

Cynamar
04-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I forgot there was also a pair of bamboo bag handles in my goody bag. I love surprises.

Karina
04-10-2008, 06:32 PM
What a bargain, I love bamboo yarn. made my daughter a little bolero and it is just so silky soft.

walmin22
04-11-2008, 02:48 PM
This yarn came today. I LOVE it!!! It feels soooooo goooooood! I wasn't real sure about the color online but it's gorgeous in person. I have to brag while I'm here about Discontinued Brand name Yarns. I ordered this 10-pack of Bamboo and one skein of Sockotta. With each yarn order I got a free pattern plus I got a goodie bag. So, my grand total was $33.19 and for that I received ten skeins of Bamboo, one of Sockotta, two patterns, one Cherry Tree Hill Supersock Mini, a pair of needles, a pack of point protectors, a sample of Eucalon, a card with a pattern on it, and a Clover Products catalog. I think it was worth it--especially as I've seen the exact same Bamboo yarn in the same color for $13.50 a skein other places online. Now that I've seen and felt the Bamboo there are way too many things to do with it! I want more colors!

I'm having a hard time seeing the true colors of the esquire colorway. You wouldn't happen to have a pictures of it do you?

Abbily
04-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Ahhh, SWTC bamboo, I have 5 skeins of it in bougainvillea and I love it. :) My friend and I got the 10 skein bag from the same store and split it. I'm making a feather and fan stole out of it- no pattern really, just following the 4 row feather and fan repeat. You can see my color and Esquire here (http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=1427).

feministmama
04-11-2008, 07:52 PM
OMIGODDESS!! That is such a good deal. I keep looking at that discount yarn place and scrunching my nose at it. But you've sold me. Next I go I'm buying!!!

Plantgoddess+
04-11-2008, 08:15 PM
How many skeins did it take for your scarf?
I knit until I was just about out of yarn. The scarf ended up about 5.5 ft long. I did the Branching Out scarf from Knitty. I used both skeins

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html
I'm happy with it and look forward to wearing it this fall.

Cynamar
04-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't have a better picture of Eaquire but it's a lot of brown and grays--which sounds ugly, but works somehow. There are so many things I want to make with it. I want the bougsnvillea or the other pink one. Don't forget to order a pattern. With each kind of yarn you get a free one. They take the price off when they ship it.

Cynamar
04-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Here is a link for great prices on bamboo: http://littleknits.com/products.php?cat=554 . I think I need more!