PDA

View Full Version : I Am Now A Tourist Attraction LOL

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm sitting around the truckstop in Cali waiting for dispatch to find me a load. It'll be tomorrow now. It's a really nice day here. The sun is shining and there is a breeze blowing. Although the breeze is slightly chilly the air is still reasonably warm and the sun feels especially good.

I was sitting at one of the picnic tables near the building and knitting when a tour bus pulled into the truckstop. A passel of tourists piled out of the bus. Most of them were elderly but there were a few younger ones as well. From what I could hear of their speech they were from Northern Europe.

I can usually recognize various languages even though I can't speak them, but I am not entirely certain where these folks hail from. Their language is one I've not heard spoken before, but it sounded almost like a cross between Russian and Greek. Definitely one of the Slavic languages to be sure.

They all disappeared into the truckstop and I didn't give them another thought until they all eventually came back out again and started running all over the truck parking lot snapping pictures of various big rigs. I saw one lady walk close to my rig a take a pic or two. I just kind of chuckled to myself as I know the trucks in Europe aren't even close to the size of the rigs we have here. I'm sure it was really something for them to see and get close to those big trucks although I was a tad concerned that they might get run over or upset some trucker who didn't want his picture taken.

I resumed my knitting after watching them for a minute or two and then one of the elderly guys with a huge moustache approached me and said something or other in his language while pointing at my knitting and making motions as if to take a picture. He was obviously asking my permission to snap a pic of me knitting.

I smiled and nodded my assent. He motioned to a lady who stepped up a meter or so away from me and snapped a couple of quick pics. She said thank you in English with a very heavy accent and it sounded something like "sanks yoo". I just gave her a smile and told her she was welcome.

I started to resume my knitting when a few more came over and snapped pics of me knitting. I guess giving my consent to one was enough for them all to have a go at it. I really didn't mind too much.

The old guy with the huge moustache came over to me and pointed to my knitting and made a motion around his chest. I understood he was asking if I was making a sweater. I nodded and said "yes, a sweater" although I know he didn't understand a word of it. He understood my meaning though and said something to the lady that I assume was their word for sweater.

Either that or he told her I was making a really large hat LOL

A couple of the folks, both men and women, gave me the thumbs up for my knitting. No matter where you go everyone seems to understand the thumbs up thing. I just smiled at them, thanked them, and went back to my knitting. I was starting to feel a bit like an animal in a zoo and was kind of glad when they finally got the cattle call to return to the bus.

I guess they'll be able to tell the folks back home how American truckers sit around and knit when not working LOL

Tutu Carol
04-07-2008, 07:44 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

suzeeq
04-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... :lol:

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later..... :lol:

I dunno, never in a million years would I have thought I'd attract the attention of a bunch of European tourists :rofl:

suzeeq
04-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Well, but you already attract a lot of attention in Applebee's around the country, and several bars....

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, but you already attract a lot of attention in Applebee's around the country, and several bars....

True and that's perfectly natural, but this was a little...odd. :rofl:

Plantgoddess+
04-07-2008, 08:16 PM
:thumbsup: That's a great story.

snowbear
04-07-2008, 08:47 PM
How could it be anything but odd? KG.. We are talking about you, lol. KG, you are obviously loved everywhere, now even over seas! Can you believe the stories they will be telling? You really need an ambassador of knitting button!

Big Bear Hugs!

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
How could it be anything but odd? KG.. We are talking about you,

Well, ok you do have a point there...

:rofl:

suzeeq
04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
You really need an ambassador of knitting button!

Or a sash like those diplomats wear.... The order of DPNS....

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Or a sash like those diplomats wear.... The order of DPNS....

Ummm, I already get enough odd looks just from knitting...:teehee:

PCwombat
04-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Heehee. That's a good story you have to tell now. Just think of all the scrapbooks you may end up in. LOL, I wonder what the caption would be.

And I get what you mean about feeling like you're in a zoo. Whenever I'm in the library, and a prospective student tour group goes through, I feel like I should do something interesting or somehow be extra student like.

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Whenever I'm in the library, and a prospective student tour group goes through, I feel like I should do something interesting or somehow be extra student like.

Wouldn't that require taking a keg to the library with you? :teehee:

McKnitty
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM
Your fame will spread all over the world! Those tourist will go back to their homeland with the pictures of you and stories of the Great American Knitting Guy.

lactosefree
04-07-2008, 10:13 PM
What a great story! I would have loved to have been a fly on your rig fluent in the language they were speaking.

Where abouts in California were/are you?

I guess they'll be able to tell the folks back home how American truckers sit around and knit when not working LOL

:roflhard:

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Your fame will spread all over the world! Those tourist will go back to their homeland with the pictures of you and stories of the Great American Knitting Guy.

Oh the horror!!!!!

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM
What a great story! I would have loved to have been a fly on your rig fluent in the language they were speaking.

Where abouts in California were/are you?

:LOL:

I'm in Bakersfield of all places. :waah:

evona
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
:LOL:

I'm in Bakersfield of all places. :waah:

Oh the inhumanity!!! (My apologies to any KH members from Bakersfield)

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Oh the inhumanity!!! (My apologies to any KH members from Bakersfield)

It's ok, they know they're in Bakersfield :rofl:

Well, at least it isn't LA.

evona
04-08-2008, 12:30 AM
It's ok, they know they're in Bakersfield :rofl:

Well, at least it isn't LA.

:rofl: Hey now! I'm in the San Fernando Valley!!! I do have to agree with you about L.A. though :wink: To think that I was born and raised in LA and moved out twice to Northern California and CAME BACK!!!!! It was the money though. I'm a single mom and just couldn't get a good enough job up there. Now that my daughter is graduating and my son is heading for the home stretch I am getting close to leaving for good :woohoo:

Wildfire
04-08-2008, 04:14 AM
Congrats! Now, can I sell the maps to your house? :mrgreen:

walmin22
04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
KG - You have the greatest adventures! I absolutely love reading your posts! Itís always nice to have good chuckle! :muah:Thank you.

Not to seam like Iím slaying the dragon because in your story you were minding your business but I can somewhat understand how you feelÖÖ..

A couple of years back my husband and I were in Hawaii visiting my Mom and Step-Dad. They had brought us to this farm that had numerous movies filmed on it. While there, you could go on a tour of all the sites. The four of us were the only Americanís on our tour. At some of the film spots we stopped and were able to get out of the bus and the tour guide would explain the spot while other spots the bus would just stop and the tour guide would speak and you would take pictures from the bus. One of the movies filmed on this farm was Godzilla. There were a few large footprints of Godzilla. The bus stopped and the tour guide spoke in Japanese for all the other passengers on this tour then spoke in English to us. It seem that all the other passengers had stopped taken pictures and He was about to tell the driver to move on to the next spot when my husband asked if we could get off the bus to take a closer picture. The Tour Guide seemed a little taken. I guess nobody had ask to get off the bus at this stop. My parents stayed on the bus, while My husband and I ran off. My husband then laid right in the middle of the footprint making it look like he gotten stepped on Godzilla and while I took the pictures. I turned around and saw that the whole bus seemed to have gotten off the bus to take more pictures. My parents then told me that the only reason everyone filed out of the bus was due to my husband laying in the footprint. They had also stopped taking pictures after my husband got up. We can just imagine what people were saying back in Japan. My step-Dad took a pictures of the people taking pictures of my husband.

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 08:54 AM
:rofl: Hey now! I'm in the San Fernando Valley!!! I do have to agree with you about L.A. though :wink: To think that I was born and raised in LA and moved out twice to Northern California and CAME BACK!!!!! It was the money though. I'm a single mom and just couldn't get a good enough job up there. Now that my daughter is graduating and my son is heading for the home stretch I am getting close to leaving for good :woohoo:

Understandable. Ya have to make a living. We truckers just dislike Cali due to the state's aggressive hatred of trucks and the constant harassment we get when out here. That's why I rarely come out here.

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Congrats! Now, can I sell the maps to your house? :mrgreen:

Why not? I'm never there :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 08:57 AM
KG - You have the greatest adventures! I absolutely love reading your posts! Itís always nice to have good chuckle! :muah:Thank you.

Not to seam like Iím slaying the dragon because in your story you were minding your business but I can somewhat understand how you feelÖÖ..

A couple of years back my husband and I were in Hawaii visiting my Mom and Step-Dad. They had brought us to this farm that had numerous movies filmed on it. While there, you could go on a tour of all the sites. The four of us were the only Americanís on our tour. At some of the film spots we stopped and were able to get out of the bus and the tour guide would explain the spot while other spots the bus would just stop and the tour guide would speak and you would take pictures from the bus. One of the movies filmed on this farm was Godzilla. There were a few large footprints of Godzilla. The bus stopped and the tour guide spoke in Japanese for all the other passengers on this tour then spoke in English to us. It seem that all the other passengers had stopped taken pictures and He was about to tell the driver to move on to the next spot when my husband asked if we could get off the bus to take a closer picture. The Tour Guide seemed a little taken. I guess nobody had ask to get off the bus at this stop. My parents stayed on the bus, while My husband and I ran off. My husband then laid right in the middle of the footprint making it look like he gotten stepped on Godzilla and while I took the pictures. I turned around and saw that the whole bus seemed to have gotten off the bus to take more pictures. My parents then told me that the only reason everyone filed out of the bus was due to my husband laying in the footprint. They had also stopped taking pictures after my husband got up. We can just imagine what people were saying back in Japan. My step-Dad took a pictures of the people taking pictures of my husband.

Great story!

Actually while these people were snapping pics the thought did occur to me that I wished I had my camera so I could take pics of them taking pics of me :rofl:

Jan in CA
04-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I was going to say "now you come to CA when I'm in DC!" But, I see you're in Bakersfield so never mind..:teehee:

We have this running joke about "B" towns in CA...for some reason they all seem to be..uh less desirable place to live.. Bakersfield, Beaumont, Baker, Bell, Barstow, Brawley, Boron, etc. :teehee: Okay, there are actually a lot more B towns than that, but we seem to hit a lot of them when we head across the desert to AZ. ;)

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Ya know those B towns you mentioned are all in the south, and I can't think of any in N Cal that begin with a B. Maybe you're right....

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 10:39 AM
I was going to say "now you come to CA when I'm in DC!" But, I see you're in Bakersfield so never mind..:teehee:

hummingbird
04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
great story Mason! You always have great stories! :P

Eccie
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
I'm really beginning to think you should write a book

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm really beginning to think you should write a book

You're not the first to say that, but really who would buy it? Nobody wants to buy a book about the tales of a wandering trucker. It would make for some pretty dull reading.

KnittinMitchie
04-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Mason I'm sure they are telling ALL of their friends. Not only do American men knit, this one is a truck driver. :) If your ever out near Abilene look us up. We have a small club that meets on occasion.

I'm also an attraction but not on the large scale. My daughter has speech once a week and I knit. EVERYONE seems to sop and ask "What ya making?"

evona
04-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Well, there is Brentwood!!! Not exactly undesirable (except for a time in about 1994)

We have this running joke about "B" towns in CA...for some reason they all seem to be..uh less desirable place to live.. Bakersfield, Beaumont, Baker, Bell, Barstow, Brawley, Boron, etc. :teehee: Okay, there are actually a lot more B towns than that, but we seem to hit a lot of them when we head across the desert to AZ. ;)

evona
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Ya know those B towns you mentioned are all in the south, and I can't think of any in N Cal that begin with a B. Maybe you're right....

Hey there is a Brentwood in Contra Costa County too . . not too shabby a place!!!! :rofl:

lactosefree
04-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Ok now I feel like I need to represent my 'hood. Cities that start with a B in the Bay Area:

Brentwood (the one in contra costa county - is the best place to go cherry, apricot, plum, peach and nut picking!)
Belmont
Burlingame
Berkeley
Brisbane

---

Mason - I'm sorry to hear that you get harrassed in California! :neutral:

Plantgoddess+
04-08-2008, 12:58 PM
Now Mason don't underestimate yourself or knitters. Look how many people enjoy the Yarn Harlot's books. Her life before book tours was not full of amazing experiences except with her knitting projects. It's more how you tell the tale not the tale you tell.
Don't dismiss the idea of a book, there are a lot of people who enjoy reading about a life involving something they are passionate about.

Debkcs
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Mason, my heart goes out to you, or anyone, stuck in Bakersfield. My Dh and I were stuck there for a week one day (to rip off an old John Denver song). Hopefully you've got a haul now, and are making tracks down the road.

That is just about the perfect trucking story!

To Mason, our Ambassador of Knitting!

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Mason - I'm sorry to hear that you get harrassed in California! :neutral:

It goes with the territory. Thanks.

blueygh2
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
And I thought I was an attraction...

People seem confused by guys knitting. Even more so by truckers. Okay, I'm not a trucker, but I'm a guy. And I'm knitting.

Mostly in the train to kill the time (2,5 hours). People seem reluctant to have a seat next to me for some reason. At first it was awkward knitting in public, but since I've knitted at the trainstation, waiting for the train (about 2-3 hours), in fear of getting attacked because of me knitting, I don't mind anymore. Not so long ago in the train, there were a few girls spying at me and giggling. A friend who sat with me asked if that didn't bother me, and I said I didn't mind. Anyway. Knitting is great. And not just for women! :wink:

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
And I thought I was an attraction...

People seem confused by guys knitting. Even more so by truckers. Okay, I'm not a trucker, but I'm a guy. And I'm knitting.

Mostly in the train to kill the time (2,5 hours). People seem reluctant to have a seat next to me for some reason. At first it was awkward knitting in public, but since I've knitted at the trainstation, waiting for the train (about 2-3 hours), in fear of getting attacked because of me knitting, I don't mind anymore. Not so long ago in the train, there were a few girls spying at me and giggling. A friend who sat with me asked if that didn't bother me, and I said I didn't mind. Anyway. Knitting is great. And not just for women! :wink:

I actually have a lot of good conversations that stem from KIP. I knit pretty much everywhere I go whether it's a truckstop, a cafe, or a biker bar. It's a great ice breaker and invariably some woman can't resist coming over to ask about it.

When yer as ugly as I am ya have to use what ya have :rofl:

blueygh2
04-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Oh but you're not ugly!

But you're right :D

cindycactus
04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
You're not the first to say that, but really who would buy it? Nobody wants to buy a book about the tales of a wandering trucker. It would make for some pretty dull reading.

Just look at how many people read this thread. You always make your stories so alive. Keep a journal of all these things that happen on your trips, and there you go, you have a really interesting book.:thumbsup:

Sunshine's Mom
04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Mason, you have the greatest stories! Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

blueygh2
04-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Just look at how many people read this thread. You always make your stories so alive. Keep a journal of all these things that happen on your trips, and there you go, you have a really interesting book.:thumbsup:

And be sure to include some pics in the book :hug:

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Ok now I feel like I need to represent my 'hood. Cities that start with a B in the Bay Area:

Brentwood (the one in contra costa county - is the best place to go cherry, apricot, plum, peach and nut picking!)
Belmont
Burlingame
Berkeley
Brisbane

D'OH! How could I forget Berkeley? I lived there for 3 years.....

Jan in CA
04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Well, there is Brentwood!!! Not exactly undesirable (except for a time in about 1994)

Belmont
Burlingame
Berkeley
Brisbane

Oh yeah, I know. :thumbsup: Lots of wonderful places begin with B. There just seemed to be a lot of dusty, tired "B" towns on the way to AZ through that desert. :teehee: No offense intended.

evona
04-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Actually I think it would make for a really good book :thumbsup: I'd buy it. And the next time you're in Bakersfield I might take a drive up to have it signed. You'll get mobbed by knitters at truck stops all over the country wanting an autograph :rofl:

lelvsdgs
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Blue Lake... it fits...

lelvsdgs
04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Are you kidding?!? It would be a vicarious adventure for all of us who are stuck in one town working in the same office/place every day, never getting to see new things... I think you'd be surprised by how many people would love to read something like that...

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 06:07 PM
This truckstop must be a regular rest stop for those tour buses. Another group of Europeans stopped by today while I was sitting and enjoying the sunshine. They sounded Dutch to me.

I got my pic taken a couple of times before I packed up my knitting and returned to my truck.

They seemed like nice folks but I just didn't like them crowding around me like that and their jabbering was making me lose count.

evona
04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I just heard about a horrible trucking accident out here and was wondering if you were still in Cali Mason. Good to see that you posted at about the time I heard about the accident so it was obviously not you, of course my prayers and thoughts go out to the poor trucker involved and to his family.

wholycow
04-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Cute story...maybe you could put a hat out,w/sign..$$ to buy yarn,and/or lessons...take care,

evona
04-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Cute story...maybe you could put a hat out,w/sign..$$ to buy yarn,and/or lessons...take care,

Now that's a good idea Mason!!!!

KnittinMitchie
04-08-2008, 08:43 PM
I found out something interesting. Back a VERY long time ago it was the men who actually knitted in guilds. they also did the spinning and weaving to for garments. I guess now we look at men who knit and find it weird.

All I hve to say is more powr o the men who knit.

tokmom
04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
I never knew our trucks were huge compared to European trucks. That's interesting. I wonder what they will tell their friends about you once you are back home?

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Blue Lake... it fits...

Well, none that I could remember..... I was never in Blue Lake, or Burlingame, but I lived in Berkeley for 3 years and I couldn't even remember it! Of course that was 30 years ago and it was the 70s..... :teehee:

evona
04-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Well, none that I could remember..... I was never in Blue Lake, or Burlingame, but I lived in Berkeley for 3 years and I couldn't even remember it! Of course that was 30 years ago and it was the 70s..... :teehee:

WandaT
04-09-2008, 07:01 AM
LOL - what a wonderful story!!!

Jaxhil
04-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Mason, you lead such an interesting life :cool: I'm glad you share it with us! And I'd buy the book by a Knitting Guy/Trucker in a heartbeat :p

I loved the Godzilla footprint story, too!!:teehee:

Knitting_Guy
04-10-2008, 11:58 AM

That's really funny because that thought actually did cross my mind at the time :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
04-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I found out something interesting. Back a VERY long time ago it was the men who actually knitted in guilds. they also did the spinning and weaving to for garments. I guess now we look at men who knit and find it weird.

All I hve to say is more powr o the men who knit.

Quite true. I am of Irish descent and many of my male ancestors were master knitters in the guilds and the ones that came here back in the 1600s made their living by raising sheep and knitting.

Knitting_Guy
04-10-2008, 12:00 PM
I never knew our trucks were huge compared to European trucks. That's interesting. I wonder what they will tell their friends about you once you are back home?

Yeah most of the trucks used in Europe are much smaller than ours. That's why these folks were running around snapping pics of each other standing next to them.

DianaM
04-10-2008, 12:11 PM
It would be fun if one of these tourists had a blog and posted the pictures of the knitting trucker, then it started spreading on the web. Pretty soon people would be on the lookout for ya!! hahahahahaha.

Anyway, great story Mason, and yes, I would buy the book!

lelvsdgs
04-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Blue Lake is way up here in the "real Northern California" about 80 miles from the border of Oregon. Used to be a logging town, kind of still is but also has developed into a combination of arts community and meth community. It is beautiful though...

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Ya know, I think I've been through there. It's on highway 395 right?

Lucy78green
04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I remember when I was about 9 and my sister was 7 we went cycling in the local park - these two American's started taking photos of my sister saying "look, a genuine Irish girl". Well yes you are in Ireland... We stopped and stared at them because they were wearing multi-coloured MC Hammer trousers and we never thought that people actually wore those in public - ever.
Also had a bus load of American tourist photograph us when we took the Brownies to the "Giant's Causeway" - they called them "girl scouts". The girls couldn't understand the fuss!
There are tour parties of people interested in machines/transport. My dad went on a steam train holiday in Poland, and recently there were a group of British plane spotters arrested in Greece as spies for photographing military aircraft. Maybe there are truck spotting clubs now too. I think over here large lorries are banned on most roads so American trucks would be a novelty.

Jan in CA
04-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Ya know, I think I've been through there. It's on highway 395 right?

Nope. It's closer to Eureka on the west side of CA. Google Map "Blue Lake, CA" Unless there are two Blue Lakes which I doubt. ;)

suzeeq
04-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Okay, I may have seen it on a map or sign somewhere then...

blueygh2
04-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Mason, I would buy the book as well!! Directly haha :happydance:

And some addition: I am a student attraction. Today I was sitting on the stairs in the anatomy institute waiting for class to begin (I was one hour early, because I thought it would start at 4... and it started at 4:30, as I could overhear.) And I was crocheting (I have started crochet on tuesday) my granny squares, when suddenly a group of girls came, and they seemed somewhat interesting and sat down all around me and were discussing of knitting and crocheting, someone said: it's not knitting, it's crocheting!
(How can people not know the difference?!)
Then, a guy joined, and they asked a few questions, like, what's it gonna be and such...

It's strange to be an attraction.

VictoiseC
04-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Cute story Mason, what fun. I can picture the whole thing.

B towns: like B films?

Bluey, this famous designer, I forgot his name at the moment, he DID get attacked and beat up in Paris when he started knitting on the trains. But that was several years ago and after all it was Paris. Paris & London can be reeeeeeal bad when it comes to fights. They love it.

blueygh2
04-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Bluey, this famous designer, I forgot his name at the moment, he DID get attacked and beat up in Paris when he started knitting on the trains. But that was several years ago and after all it was Paris. Paris & London can be reeeeeeal bad when it comes to fights. They love it.

Well, that doesn't quite relax me, as I'm quite near (Belgium) :D

But thanks for your... anti-encouragement :D

When I was knitting at the trainstation, I was in constant fear of being attacked, and still sometimes in the train, I get that feeling...

walmin22
04-12-2008, 08:13 AM

Did he get attacked because he was knitting? Or because he was distracted?

walmin22
04-12-2008, 08:25 AM
When yer as ugly as I am ya have to use what ya have :rofl:

I wouldn't cut your self to short KG! IF your eyes are as blue as they seem in your picture women must flock just to gaze into them for hours on end!

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I wouldn't cut your self to short KG! IF your eyes are as blue as they seem in your picture women must flock just to gaze into them for hours on end!

Thanks. My eyes are my one redeeming quality I suppose. Women comment on them often, but I figure that's what women say when there's nothing else good to comment about :roflhard:

CountryKitty
04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Bluey, this famous designer, I forgot his name at the moment, he DID get attacked and beat up in Paris when he started knitting on the trains.

Kaffe Fasset by any chance? (Mom loves his sweaters!)

CountryKitty
04-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Mason, I would buy the book as well!! Directly haha :happydance:

And some addition: I am a student attraction. Today I was sitting on the stairs in the anatomy institute waiting for class to begin (I was one hour early, because I thought it would start at 4... and it started at 4:30, as I could overhear.) And I was crocheting (I have started crochet on tuesday) my granny squares, when suddenly a group of girls came, and they seemed somewhat interesting and sat down all around me and were discussing of knitting and crocheting, someone said: it's not knitting, it's crocheting!
(How can people not know the difference?!)
Then, a guy joined, and they asked a few questions, like, what's it gonna be and such...

It's strange to be an attraction.

LOL, I'm graduating in May after 2.5 years at the local community college. My knitting came with me many a day to occupy my time between classes. One day I rode my motorcycle to school and wound up sitting in the hall, in biker boots and jacket...knitting a pink and white baby blanket. An instructor walked by did a double take and announced, "A biker knitting...that just blows my mind--and you're doing that deliberately aren't you!"

blueygh2
04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, I'm not a biker...nor a trucker. Just looks strange with me crocheting or knitting...

If at least I were sexy (as mason) ... it would be something else...

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Yeah most of the trucks used in Europe are much smaller than ours. That's why these folks were running around snapping pics of each other standing next to them.
And, there I was taking photos of the 'tiny trucks' when I lived in Europe. :roflhard: The trash trucks are so tiny that they are almost 'cute'...

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-13-2008, 03:27 AM
I just got back from a week's vacation in Vietnam and Cambodia.. and I was knitting on the planes, the airport lobbies, and even in the temple ruins.. while waiting on others in my group...
A few people, from other countries, (I'm American) did come up and watch me some.. and a few gave me a thumb's up. I thought it was cute. I'm sure that I was the only person knitting in the ENTIRE country too.. (really too hot to knit there or to wear knitted items)

AND, it was so hot and steamy.. that my wool yarn 'felted' a little on the skein!

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Well, I'm not a biker...nor a trucker. Just looks strange with me crocheting or knitting...

Don't sweat it, it's good to blow off people's stereotypes once in a while. It's good for them and you're doing them a favor.

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2008, 12:28 AM
And, there I was taking photos of the 'tiny trucks' when I lived in Europe. :roflhard: The trash trucks are so tiny that they are almost 'cute'...

Yeah most old cities were built for buggies not the huge trucks we run here. Our own older cities are hard to get around in with a big rig for the same reason.

blueygh2
04-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Don't sweat it, it's good to blow off people's stereotypes once in a while. It's good for them and you're doing them a favor.

Thanks! Yesterday in the train I had my first positive experience while crocheting. Someone who sat with me suddenly asked, if it was hard to do, and he said he could crochet too, but only a long chain...
Shortly after, after a short conversation, he left.
:woohoo: :woohoo:

And I'm doing myself a favor as well by not sitting around doing nothing, getting bored,...

BinkyKat
04-14-2008, 02:28 PM
If you're a tourist attraction, do you sell mini donuts, have rides, and games? If I throw a hoop around you, can I win yarn? :teehee:
I get such a kick out of your experiences. Imagine the story these folks will have to go home with. :thumbsup:

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 02:31 PM
How about funnel cake and turkey drumsticks?

BinkyKat
04-14-2008, 02:36 PM
How about funnel cake and turkey drumsticks?

YES!!!!:cheering:
...and the main attraction-ride can be "The Tilt-a-Swift" or the "Ballistic Ball Winder"

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 03:02 PM
And a dunking booth!

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2008, 03:49 PM
If you're a tourist attraction, do you sell mini donuts, have rides, and games? If I throw a hoop around you, can I win yarn? :teehee:
I get such a kick out of your experiences. Imagine the story these folks will have to go home with. :thumbsup: