PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm Just Bugged!

Knitting_Guy
04-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Grrrrrr. I must not be meant to knit this darned alpaca vest. I had cast it on again and had worked a few inches of it before I realized that I had messed up on the most important part of joining: make sure it isn't twisted. Argh!!!!!!

A couple of minutes of %#^#(O@$%#&@*$ and I then frogged it yet again and started over.

How could I have been that dumb? Don't answer that.

knovice
04-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Hmmm... maybe you frogged too hastily, Mason. Moebius vest? ;-)

cds11
04-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Stuff like this happens to me a lot.. I've just realized (on attempt 3 or 4 at least) in starting my first pair of socks from the toe up that I have purls at the beginning, so instead of nice stockinette all around the toes, I have a straight line of purls... But since I'm about an inch up already and have managed to make no other mistakes that I can tell, I'm leaving it..
If it makes you feel even better, I walked into a glass door the other weekend.....

fibrenut
04-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Aww heck Mason,
Doodie happens :whistle:

Pagan Princess
04-08-2008, 02:13 AM
Third times a charm Mason

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Hmmm... maybe you frogged too hastily, Mason. Moebius vest? ;-)

:roflhard: That would be interesting if unwearable

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
If it makes you feel even better, I walked into a glass door the other weekend.....

Ouch! Hope you weren't hurt.

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Aww heck Mason,
Doodie happens :whistle:

Yup

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Third times a charm Mason

I hope so, if I frog this alpaca too many more times it won't be fit to knit.

Plantgoddess+
04-08-2008, 09:32 AM
To be a stick in the mud, just think what you've learned so far. Check to make sure the stitches aren't twisted and check gauge while knitting project. Anything more you want to teach us?

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Stuff like this happens to me a lot.. I've just realized (on attempt 3 or 4 at least) in starting my first pair of socks from the toe up that I have purls at the beginning, so instead of nice stockinette all around the toes, I have a straight line of purls... But since I'm about an inch up already and have managed to make no other mistakes that I can tell, I'm leaving it..

Ouch! But on your sock, did you knit it inside out at the beginning - With the working needles on the far side of the tube from you?

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 09:41 AM
To be a stick in the mud, just think what you've learned so far. Check to make sure the stitches aren't twisted and check gauge while knitting project. Anything more you want to teach us?

True enough. I view every project as a learning experience, but a stupid move is still a stupid move :rofl:

Plantgoddess+
04-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Awww what's the fun in being perfect. I have never yet managed to make anything without having to tink or frog at least once if only part of a row.

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Awww what's the fun in being perfect. I have never yet managed to make anything without having to tink or frog at least once if only part of a row.

Neither have I. A lot of the stuff I knit I just make up as I go and that often results in re-thinking it, frogging it, and starting over. I'm just kicking myself for having it twisted when joined. I've never pulled that bone headed stunt before but it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.

Lisa R.
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Neither have I. A lot of the stuff I knit I just make up as I go and that often results in re-thinking it, frogging it, and starting over. I'm just kicking myself for having it twisted when joined. I've never pulled that bone headed stunt before but it was bound to happen sooner or later I suppose.

I'm thinking it pretty much HAS to happen at least once!

Jan in CA
04-08-2008, 09:56 AM
It's bound to happen to everyone at least once. Keeps us from getting too full of ourselves I think. :teehee: Now you've got that out of the way you can move on and knit that vest! :thumbsup:

dreamsherl
04-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Hey Mason your not alone. It would be strange if I don't have to start a project at least twice, maybe three times. I'm on my third re-start on my current project. I think that the third time is the charm.
http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/crazy/AddEmoticons0051.gif

Ronda
04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm just glad to hear that this happens to someone OTHER than me!!

Debkcs
04-08-2008, 01:12 PM
It's just to keep us humble, Mason. As often as I frog, I'm very humble!

Good luck on your third attempt!

cindycactus
04-08-2008, 02:13 PM
True enough. I view every project as a learning experience, but a stupid move is still a stupid move :rofl:

Oh God, Mason, you sound just like my dh. He is harder on himself than anyone else could be. Don't be so hard on yourself. Have a cold one, relax! :clink:

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Oh God, Mason, you sound just like my dh. He is harder on himself than anyone else could be. Don't be so hard on yourself. Have a cold one, relax! :clink:

Maybe that's my problem, no cold ones close by. :rofl:

MAmaDawn
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Maybe that's my problem, no cold ones close by. :rofl:

I thought you were going to say too many cold ones.... :rofl:

Knitting_Guy
04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
I thought you were going to say too many cold ones.... :rofl:

Is there such a thing?????

marlajap
04-09-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm just about to frog Interweave's Hexacomb Cardi for the third time (at least I only have about 8 rows in), and I've frogged a set of spiral-rib wristers in alpaca-silk, oh, 3-4 times already. I can't think of a single project I've made that I didn't have to frog some or all of at least twice...in addition to several tink episodes.

(begin whine) Hexacomb may yet defeat me - the stitch pattern is pretty rhythmic and all, but I keep getting lost in it and winding up off pattern, at least partly because my yarn choice seems to have been a poor one - not the best stitch definition, therefore, can't really tell where I'm at. Sigh...it's for a friend who has bladder cancer and just had a near-miss with thyroid cancer (the mass was benign), so I really want it to be very, very nice. Might have to try some other yarn in my stash or elsewhere.
:frog: (end whine)

KnittingNoob
04-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I hope so, if I frog this alpaca too many more times it won't be fit to knit.

Sorry, just got this vision of an alpaca getting hit by a flying frog:teehee:

eladine
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Lol.... thank you KnittingNoob.. that's cheered me up no end on a bit of a downer day!!!

Warning to all Alpaca's out there... watch the flying frogs!

Ty!

ecb
04-09-2008, 06:36 PM

LOL, I have a favorite Swear "Capa Tos, Stunats" or something close to that, it is Itallian for Hard Headed Idiot
last time I said it, I happen to be knitting, and my 10yo asked me, "oh Mom, who did what to your knitting NOW?"

your Vest will work out well, U are learning every time you look back
Great Job

ecb

Knitting_Guy
04-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry, just got this vision of an alpaca getting hit by a flying frog:teehee:

:rofl:

Knitting_Guy
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
LOL, I have a favorite Swear "Capa Tos, Stunats" or something close to that, it is Itallian for Hard Headed Idiot
last time I said it, I happen to be knitting, and my 10yo asked me, "oh Mom, who did what to your knitting NOW?"

your Vest will work out well, U are learning every time you look back
Great Job

ecb

:rofl:

DianaM
04-10-2008, 12:16 PM
That happened to me the other day. After frogging the ribbing for the fourth time, I cast on, did three row of ribbing knit flat (on circulars) then joined them. I'll just have to use the tail from the cast on to seam those three rows when I'm done.

Doodknitwit
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
happens to the BEST knitters!!!:psst:

ArtLady1981
04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Been there, done that...:pout:

Happens to me when I'm knitting too late, or too distracted by something.

Sorry it happened to you on such a large project!

Knitting_Guy
04-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks folks. I actually figured out how it happened because it happened again. I was positive that it wasn't twisted this time when I did the join but when I pulled the work out of my backpack it was twisted.

I looked at it really close and could see that the needles had twisted the work around. I just twisted it all back into place and it was fine.

Doh!

suzeeq
04-12-2008, 05:42 PM
If you only have the CO and a row on the needle, then put it away, I can see that that may have the needle twist on itself and twist your stitches. Try doing 3 or 4 rounds before you put it away.

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2008, 12:30 AM
If you only have the CO and a row on the needle, then put it away, I can see that that may have the needle twist on itself and twist your stitches. Try doing 3 or 4 rounds before you put it away.

Yeah that's exactly it. Was only a round or two. I don't always have the option of time to knit several rounds out here on the road. Now that I am aware of the problem I'll be paying closer attention, but I'm a few inches into the work so it shouldn't be a problem now.

suzeeq
04-14-2008, 12:36 AM
If your actual join and first round weren't twisted though, it may be that just the needles were kinked up and you can straighten out the knitting.

Knitting_Guy
04-14-2008, 03:51 PM
If your actual join and first round weren't twisted though, it may be that just the needles were kinked up and you can straighten out the knitting.

That's what it was and I was able to correct the problem this time. Lesson learned.:mrgreen:

suzeeq
04-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Yay!