PDA

View Full Version : The verdict is in--dpns vs. two circulars!

Lisa R.
04-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Okay, I was knitting this hat for my FIL and headed off for the day without sticking my extra US 7 circular in my bag...so when I got to the decreases, there I was without being able to use my favorite method of two circs for small diameter knitting.

However, for whatever reason, I always have some dpns in my little "tool kit." So, I pulled those out and finished the hat the "old fashioned way."

It's been a year or so since I really did anything on dpns, and I was quite pleased to see that my skill and understanding had improved enough that there aren't those nasty ladders in the hat--it turned out great.

But honestly...I'm sticking with two circulars--much less fiddly and more pleasant for me. Still, it's nice to be able to do both 'cause you never know when you might need to!

amy
04-08-2008, 09:55 AM
ooh, this would make a good poll...

Jan in CA
04-08-2008, 09:58 AM
But honestly...I'm sticking with two circulars--much less fiddly and more pleasant for me. Still, it's nice to be able to do both 'cause you never know when you might need to!

Exactly! :thumbsup:

cheley
04-08-2008, 10:02 AM
ooh, this would make a good poll... The thought of 4 or 5 needles (with no stops at the ends) terrified me:chair: but after "some" practice (and patience) I actually love em...I really think working in the round with dpn's creates of really nice rib, stockinette and finished product....Trick is: START WITH LARGE NEEDLES AND BULKY YARN, then move on to smaller stuff...on the "joins" I always "pull" the second stitch tight!!!On ribbing, I always end a row as p start the next row k....:hug:

MAmaDawn
04-08-2008, 10:07 AM
DPN used to scare me too, but now I find them so relaxing to knit with! I just love it!

Mirl56
04-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I am with you all the way! I definitely prefer 2 circs, too.

Debkcs
04-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I started out using dpn's, like a good girl. Then switched to using two circulars. Now, I'm using magic loop, and love love love it. It's SO much easier, and there isn't any switching from a circular to dpn's, or anything like that.

We ought to get Mason using it, think of the looks he'd get then. :teehee:

psquidy
04-08-2008, 01:27 PM
i JUST LOVE my d.p.n's but I know i should learn how to do magic loop. It looks like so much fun!:yay:

Ginnyb
04-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I have only used DPN's and I just love using them, but I haven't tried anything else yet. I will admit,it took me a while to get the hang of the DPN's.
Ginny

cindycactus
04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I love DPNs and have not found the need to change. Maybe one day I will run into a pattern that will make me want to got to 2 circs or Magic Loop. Who knows.:knitting:

Inis
04-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I love using dpns in public -- it impresses people LOL.
I've never used two circs or magic loop. Are they the same technique?

Cynamar
04-08-2008, 02:19 PM
I'm not familiar with Magic Loop and I'm new anyway. I've only knitted socks along with a video with two circulars but it seems like they would be easier to handle than DPNs. I'm open, though, and will try them when I finish the bags on my needles.

cristina61
04-08-2008, 02:31 PM
I liked the idea of knowing the "basics" when I first began knitting socks, so I learned to use DPNs, and I still enjoy using them -- makes me feel like a real knitting master, especially when my DH is watching me with a bemused look on his face. :teehee:

But since I learned the 2 circs method that's become my weapon of first choice. I definitely agree it's good to know more than one way to do things, and one of these days I'll take another look at magic loop.

Arielluria
04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
ooh, this would make a good poll...I agree. I'm a DPN gal myself, love the "fiddliness' of it.:teehee:

Plantgoddess+
04-08-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm a dpn girl myself. Mainly I think because I hadn't purchased any new supplies in 30 years and all I had for finer knitting was dpn's, all my circulars were larger sizes more suited to sweaters.

lactosefree
04-08-2008, 07:22 PM
dpns all the way!

Mike
04-09-2008, 01:32 AM
ooh, this would make a good poll...

I've thought that this needed a poll ever since I started (started with hats and DPNs) and liked the DPNs.

I like the clinking and clanking of the metal DPNs.

redheadrachel
04-09-2008, 01:56 AM
My first use of dpns was with size twos on my first pair of socks... it was love from the very beginning! (Okay, maybe not the BEGINNING, but certainly by the second row... lol)

Mmm, they're the best. But I will use magic loop (grudgingly) for hats.

Karina
04-09-2008, 04:44 AM
I use dpns and love using them especially my knit picks. have not tried magic loop or 2 circulars. Have looked at the video of the magic loop and think I will probably start with the 2 circulars when I tackle a toe up sock

gingerbread
04-09-2008, 07:17 AM
I too enjoy my dpn's I have tried the two circulars and I just can't get the hang of it.
I two love to knit in public with them, the last time it was at the hospital when my husbands doctor came in to explain his surgery and he looks at me and says, I knit too. Well that floored me just for a minute and said great what do you knit. He flushed and said not anything like what I was doing, just garter stitch. His wife was teaching him. I told him that knitting socks on the dpn's were not hard. I told him not to give up and he two could some day knit socks. By now my poor dh was just looking at us. He says to the doctor that he loved my socks and that he wears them all the time . Just love that man:heart: So that is why I love my dpns. I like the circ's for hats and shawls.

:waving:

Lisa R.
04-11-2008, 09:23 AM
I love using dpns in public -- it impresses people LOL.
I've never used two circs or magic loop. Are they the same technique?

No, they're not the same technique. Magic loop uses one longer circular needle, and you pull the cable out between the stitches. (I only tried it one really quick time, and never really go the hang of it---one day, maybe).

Anyway, there's a video here on KH under Advanced Techniques, I think--one of the circular knitting techniques.

Rubyjane
04-11-2008, 11:00 AM
I love my dpn's...especially the ones that were my mother's or grandmother's. And they are the easiest to do the style of knitting I do, Cottage Style (a variation of English/throw). I do use circulars, but just can't seem to come to love them like I do those dpn's...just an old-fashioned girl, I think!

auburnchick
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Oh, I have to chime in here.

I jumped into making socks last summer, using Silver's original tutorial...on dpn's. I really didn't find it too difficult to use them, after you get past the second or third round.

Last month, I finished my first magic loop socks...two at a time. I loved having the pair finished in the end, but the pulling of the needles/cables back an forth kind of drove me nuts.

I am now working on my first pair of socks using two circs, and I have to say that I am really enjoying this method. The process is very fast.

So, with all of that said, I would always encourage knitters to learn with dpns. I'm so glad I did. As far as sock knitting goes, I think I learned about sock structure better with the dpns than I would have with the other methods.

This has been an interesting thread! Thanks for posting it!

Mike
04-11-2008, 06:33 PM
auburnchick,
I also like getting both socks done at the same time. I don't think I'd ever finish the 2nd if I did it another way.

But I double knit on DPNs. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

As far as I know you can do any style, although cables might be a bit (or a lot) difficult.

auburnchick
04-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Oh yeah...I forgot about that! Great...just what I need...another method to learn. :teehee: Oh well...I have a few more skeins of sock yarn.

Thanks for the link! :thumbsup:

Cynamar
04-12-2008, 05:43 PM
I have been making socks since I got up yesterday and right now I prefer 2 circulars.

Dangles
04-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Mike, thanks for the link.

I've conquered my fears and used DPNs they're not as scary as I thought they'd be.

I was starting another project that required DPNs to start to which I did not have a set of DPNs to use. Ergo, I learned how to use the ML. ML is pretty easy to use and I don't require switching to circulars as my project grew.

DPNs are neat as it's 4 or 5 needles you are handling at once. Kinda of neat when you got people looking at your project with all these needles.

I have yet to try the two circular method.