PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Cable Book

Krystal
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Ok so my birthday is coming up in a couple weeks (the 20th) and DH wants to know what I want. I fell in love with cabling a few months back, and I am really wanting to get a book full of cables. I have my eye on the Vogue Stitchionary 2 : Cables, but I was wondering your opinions on that book, or if you know of a book you consider to be a better cable resource.

I only yesterday cast on my first project in months, (ironically using the yarn I got LAST birthday... :teehee:) and I think this cardigan could use some beautiful cabling on the sleeves... We shall see.

Thanks!

knitgal
04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I got Cables Untangled by Melissa Leapman as a gift last year and I love it. It has a wonderful cable dictionary in it as well as gorgeous patterns. One complaint is that it is all in chart form, so I have to translate the patterns (I'm not good with charts).

Krystal
04-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks... I can't stand charts so I guess that's a book I won't be looking at.. :( it's too bad, but I always get confused with charts.

knitgal
04-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Me too- I hate them. The patterns are pretty and there are some awesome cables, but the charts kick my butt everytime. I have to write out the pattern before I start. Oh well, it's a nice book!
The Harmony Guides are really nice. They have an aran version too. Here (http://www.amazon.com/220-Aran-Stitches-Patterns-Harmony/dp/1855856336)it is on the US amazon site.

Mirl56
04-08-2008, 05:08 PM
You should check your library and see if they have copies of Stichtionary and Harmony cable book.

It's been a while since I had them both checked out, but I think the harmony book has more cables listed, I didn't think all the photos were good (some cut off a portion of the design!?!) I think some had chart only, too. I'm pretty sure the Stitchionary has both chart & written for each cable.

I'm hoping my library will get Cables Untangled and Ready Set Cable so i can see them in person soon.

Jax3303
04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I have the Vogue stitchonary 2: cables, and I LOVE it. It has BOTH charted and written out directions, and SOOOOO MANY beautiful, easy to understand cables.

gargoylelib
04-09-2008, 01:23 AM
I just got the Harmony Guides Cables & Arans and all the patterns
have written out instructions and a few also have a chart with
them. I had hoped they would all have charts because that is
what I prefer...I'm glad to hear that Cables Untangled is in chart
form because I plan to get it for my bday coming up but was
worried I'd end up spending extra time making charts... funny what
different people prefer! :)

Libbie

Ellieblue
04-09-2008, 11:34 AM
I use barbara walkers charted knitting designs book. The charts are almost like pictures of the cables and there is a photo of the design too. If I have a pattern with written cable instructions I try to make a chart to follow. oh well, we all have our favorite ways of doing things.

Krystal
04-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I just ordered the Vogue Stitchionary Volume 2. I decided it was a good bet, with a book load of patterns with written instructions.. why not? It's my first knitting book.... definitely excited to get it. I am hoping for Friday even tho they say the earliest is Monday. I tend to get mail a day earlier than most estimates. I assume this is because I live in a border city. Most mail needs to travel a day through this city to get to the rest of Ontario....:D

I just got the Harmony Guides Cables & Arans and all the patterns
have written out instructions and a few also have a chart with
them. I had hoped they would all have charts because that is
what I prefer...I'm glad to hear that Cables Untangled is in chart
form because I plan to get it for my bday coming up but was
worried I'd end up spending extra time making charts... funny what
different people prefer! :)

Libbie

That's great to know you are getting something you will definitely enjoy. I think if I had purchased a book to find only charts I'd have a mini heart attack.

I like to keep my patterns in notepad, and I sit and knit on the couch. I turn the computer monitor to face me, and I can use the mouse to highlight the row I am on... With the chart I can't do that...

Also I may remember for the first few rows how to read the chart, but by the 5th or 6th row I start reading right to left for every row... and then I had a big mess of a pattern. :teehee:

I use barbara walkers charted knitting designs book. The charts are almost like pictures of the cables and there is a photo of the design too. If I have a pattern with written cable instructions I try to make a chart to follow. oh well, we all have our favorite ways of doing things.

That's why I like that we have so many options to choose from. Some people just can't keep pace with written instructions, others (me) can't follow a chart much farther than the 5th row before reading it wrong... or everyone in between who enjoy both, depending on the project. I remember reading a blog stating we all MUST read Lace patterns from a CHART. :oo: I felt bad... am I knitting wrong? lol. Then I realized everyone just has their style just like they have their taste. To me psso makes so much more sense then say a / that a chart might use... :)