PDA

View Full Version : FO: Hug shrug in black & Oregon Vest in Walnut

outdoordrea
04-08-2008, 09:54 PM
I've recently completed these two. The black shrug was for a friend, knitted in Caron's Simply Soft, and the Oregon vest, knitted in Lion Brand Wool-Ease Chunky in Walnut, is for me. I just finished the zipper on the vest this afternoon (my first zipper!) and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Here's a great tutorial (http://acunningplan.typepad.com/andsheknitstoo/2005/09/zippers_101.html)for adding a zipper. My mom likes the vest so much, she's requested one in blue. Another friend wants socks, but that's for another day.

Jen17
04-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Wow, I love both of them! Really like the color of the vest...it looks like chocolate brown??
GREAT zipper tutorial, thanks for including that!
You did a great job on the zipper!
I made my grandson a zip up hoodie last winter and I chickened out on the zipper. Someone told me to take it to the drycleaners and see if they would do it..and they did for 7 dollars. It came out o.k, but I'll do my own the next time!
Thanks again,!:yay:

Jen:knitting:

outdoordrea
04-09-2008, 12:38 AM
The vest is wonderful. The pattern was well written and very easy to knit up. I wore it for a week without the zipper, and even considered a different closure, before I found the zipper tutorial. Basting the edges closed was really the best tip. Made lining up the two sides easy peasy. It's still a bit nippy where I live, so the zipper was needed. I may decide to line it with some fleece; I'm not convinced it's necessary, though.

The color is called Walnut; it's a mottled brown with flecks of green and magenta. Very nice to work with.

Cynamar
04-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I like the shrug a LOT. Awesome! What pattern is that?

Debkcs
04-09-2008, 03:02 AM
Wonderful looking vest, the color is really nice. Here in Oregon, there are some days where a vest is just the right amount of warmth.

Thanks for the zipper tutorial, also.

dustinac
04-09-2008, 09:08 AM
:happydance: they look great!!

outdoordrea
04-09-2008, 03:40 PM
I like the shrug a LOT. Awesome! What pattern is that?
You can find the cabled variations here (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=38696.0%3Cbr) but unfortunately the site that hosted the original pattern has gone off-line for good. Try Googling Jennifer Thurston's Hug to see if it's still out there somewhere -- I know she still has a blog page.

chesagrey
04-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Fabulous vest i've been looking for something just like it. Found a similar one on Oat Couture, now i have the impetus to start!

outdoordrea
04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Fabulous vest i've been looking for something just like it. Found a similar one on Oat Couture, now i have the impetus to start!
That's the same vest I made (me thinks); Oregon Vest by Oat Couture (http://www.oatcouture.com/patternpages/410OregonV.html). As I said, once I got that the pockets were *supposed* to be attached to the back, it was a very easy knit.

KnittingNat
04-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Great job on the zipper :thumbsup: And I love the cabled shrug :heart: