PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, I need help too with yarn

tokmom
04-08-2008, 10:10 PM
I swear, I'm obsessed with this yarn! I even had a dream where I got a free box.:roflhard: I just need to buck up and order my Noro Kureyon and get it over with. I have money from ebates, so I can splurge guilt free...sorta.:aww:

So, I'm not sure how much I need. I want to make this purse from Bernat:
Bernat Felting Wool (75 g / 2.6 oz)
3 balls of #94310 (Gardenia). Subbing the Noro for this yarn, obviously.
Size 6.5 mm (U.S. 10) circular knitting needle 16 ins
[40 cm] long or size needed to obtain gauge.
1 snap fastener.
GAUGE
13 sts and 17 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in stocking st.

How much Noro would I need? I'm not a super tight knitter.

Noro:

Weight/Yardage: 108 yards/50 grams
Gauge: 4.5-5 sts = 1, #7 or #8 needle
Knitting Weight: Worsted

I too get so stumped on the yarn math, especially when I have to up the needle size.

I just need to make this thing so I can quit obessing!:mrgreen: I just hope it doesn't cost the earth.;)

Sajomaro
04-08-2008, 11:31 PM
When substituting yarns it is important to know the number of yards needed. According to the Bernat website Bernat Felting is 84 yds/skein.

To find out the totally yardage needed times the number of skeins required by the number of yards/skein. In this case 3 skeins by 84 yards. 3x84= 252 yds. So you need at least 252 yds of the Noro yarn. Since the Noro yarn is 108 yds/skein you'll need 3 skeins of it, as well.

I'm not sure how much that would vary when substituting a worsted weight yarn for a bulky yarn. You might find that you'll need to hold to strands of the Noro together using a larger size needle. Swatching would defiantly be helpful in this case. If you do need to hold to strands together you'll need double the amount of Noro.

HTH

suzeeq
04-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Noro isn't as thick, I wouldn't recommend 2 strands of it though unless you use size 11 or 13 needles. Or you could use the 10s and make it larger with more stitches.

tokmom
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Noro isn't as thick, I wouldn't recommend 2 strands of it though unless you use size 11 or 13 needles. Or you could use the 10s and make it larger with more stitches.

So if I use the 10 1/2 needles I would add more stitches as in height? I'm SO confused.:aww:
Would I still only need 3 skeins? Maybe I need to find a more Noro friendly pattern on Raverly.
Thanks for any, ANY help. I'm truly not an idiot.;) :rofl:

suzeeq
04-09-2008, 11:33 PM
More sts as in CO more to make it wider, and also knit more rows to make it taller.

tokmom
04-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Got it thanks.:yay: