PDA

View Full Version : Yarn for pot holders?

lgoddard
04-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Would like suggestions for type of yarn to use for hot pads to use on a table. Imagine it should be thick to be able to put under bowls on a table? Would appreciate any simple pattern anyone has used too.

Mulderknitter
04-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I would probably just use a cotton. Acrilyc can singe.:shrug:

lgoddard
04-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Thank you. That is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if I should use something thicker or not. Since they will be hot pads for a table, I guess I could just use a dishcloth pattern adjusting for larger and smaller sizes.

Mulderknitter
04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
you could always double the yarn to make it thicker. that might help protect the table, etc.

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
I have acrylic potholders. They work fine - the heat would have to be really hot, much hotter than a dish from the oven, for them to melt or burn.

Alyce
04-10-2008, 11:38 AM
If you want it extra thick try knitting with 2 strands or knit a rectangle and fold it over and stitch or crochet around it. This is what I do for hotpads.
Alyce

GinnyG
04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Cotton!!!! I have also used woold and felted it. Peaches and Cream is great.

NEVER use acrylic, it transmits the heat, can melt and is dangerous.

marlajap
04-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I made some of these last fall, crocheted them before I learned to knit and then made some again once I got knit and purl down. I have some I made in good old sugar and cream cotton, and then there's one that got made out of Wool-Ease Chunky, which is something like 80/20 acrylic wool. They all keep my wood table from getting burned, and none of them is doubled or anything fancy like that. I do, however, use only the cotton ones (never the wool-ease) when I'm taking something straight to table from a 400 degree oven or a burner on medium-high!

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM
NEVER use acrylic, it transmits the heat, can melt and is dangerous.

Really? Because none of the ones I've used have, and they shield the heat quite well.

Mike
04-10-2008, 12:46 PM
It's not knitting, but crochet bean stitch with doubled yarn and a K hook makes nice pot holders.

It's in this free ebook. (http://eastmanpublishing.com/library/free_knitcrochet_ebook.htm)

I've melted acrylic before. Cast iron pizza pans when making pizza are hot. They also melt to the bottom of the pan which isn't fun to remove.

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
I've never had the oven that hot, no more than 400, nor have I put cast iron pans into one....

lgoddard
04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone. Have my grandmother's dining table and have some of her old hot pads but would like to make some new. Will most likely stick to good old 100% cotton and try to make them thick enough.

Mike
04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I bet wool would also be a good choice.
I'm sure my welding gloves have wool liners.
Ove-gloves are 83% cotton liners.

Someone needs to spin some Kevlar yarn (both of the above are Kevlar shells). I would be knitting a lot of stuff out of that. :)

You need 500 for good homemade pizza, suzeeq. :p

Inis
04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
My mother was burned by a melting acrylic potholder. Of course that was decades ago, so perhaps acrylic yarn is better these days.

My DH won't use yarn-made potholders because "they have holes". Some how he manages to get his fingers burned through those tiny holes. Dunno how he does it :)

fibrenut
04-10-2008, 04:09 PM
I have to agree with suz here, Unless you're baking pizzas on a regular basis, your items don't get much hotter than 375*f. Heck for pizza's I'd use welders mits (jk):roflhard: But that's just me.
There's a kewl little pattern that you can use for either crochet or knitted. You just make a tube that is a caston of about 5-6 inches then for the crochet one you sc in each chain, turn and in the same caston ch sc across on the other side of the chain. then just continue without joining (as in slip stitch to the first sc, don't need to do that) just keep sc around n around til the tube when folded towards the middle on point, that the edges meet. then just sc the edges together to form a diagonal pocket and make a chain loop for hanging n poof, yer done!!!:thumbsup:
The knitted one would be just a wee bit different but the same concept applies, you would cast on two stitches for every stitch you wanted on one side (this is sorta like double knitting but in a tube) then sl 1, k1 across ending with a k1, then turn and do the same thing til it also reaches the distance where you would fold it on point (or diagonal and the edges would meet, then just bind off with a three needle bindoff (place every other stitch on one needle and the other on another) then do your bind off, make a loop and yer good to go!!!:knitting:

Cynamar
04-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Acryic is plastic. It melts. I melted a spot on a sweater once.

Mike
04-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Inis,
Felt some wool ones. No holes.

Heck for pizza's I'd use welders mits (jk):roflhard: But that's just me.
I used them for everything, oven mitts sized for guys are rare.
But they feel like you should be lifting molten metal, not a cake.

suzeeq
04-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Acryic is plastic. It melts. I melted a spot on a sweater once.

But how did you melt it? Touching something really hot - a radiator, stove burner, an open flame? The type of hot varies by temperature and the only way I've melted an acrylic is by putting a hot pad on a burner or flame. Which btw, burns cotton too.

Spikey
04-10-2008, 09:56 PM
You can get double worsted Peaches & Creme, which would knit up nice and thick, and is easier to knit with than carrying multiple strands.

Phretys
04-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Instead of knitting two or more strands together, you could also knit two potholders (so they match if you put the backs together), and sew or crochet the seams together so you get a double thick pad. If you worry about holes, this mostly takes care of that, too. :p

Cynamar
04-11-2008, 12:40 AM
I can't remember how I melted it. It was high school--a loooooong time ago. I just remember that funny hard spot on it. I'm sure I touched it to something hot and I don't think I was wearing it.

becjo
04-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I like that idea the best - make 2 out of cotton & stitch together - that would be nice & thick!!!

of troy
04-11-2008, 12:12 PM
personally, i like double knit potholders (and april 07 archives of my blog have an 8 part (goes to from april 15 to may 15) series on double knitting, with general directions,and some stitch patterns, and ideas how to use them in pot holders)

wool, knit loose and oversized, felts down to nice thick potholder too..

wool has an advantage over cotton.. its is flame retardant.

you can wash the cotton potholders in Borax (good old 20 mule team borax for those in US!) and this will make them some what flame retardant.

you can also hold 2 strands of cotton (peaches and cream, sugar and cream, etc, worsted weight) together and knit VERY tightly to make a thick potholder. (i find this hard on my hands)

i too would recommond NOT USING ACRYLIC. it will melt at 400 and its not unusual to have things hotter than that (like when you broil)

Simply_Renee
04-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Inis,
Felt some wool ones. No holes.

I used them for everything, oven mitts sized for guys are rare.
But they feel like you should be lifting molten metal, not a cake.

Ha ha! Some of my cakes have come out such that welder's gloves would be appropriate.

Good idea on felting. I am smack out of potholders- not sure where they all went and have been burning myself on the knit ones I have made (not thick enough and too holey).