PDA

View Full Version : Super Delicious Caramel Corn

nonny2t
04-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Popcorn Pops Caramel Corn

2 Bags Plain Corn Pops/need 8 oz total (this is the hull less popcorn puffs you find at the store)
3 sticks butter
3/4 C. Karo Syrup
1-1/2 C. Brown Sugar
1-1/2 t. Baking Soda

Melt butter, add syrup and brown sugar and cook until it bubbles. Add soda and stir well. Remove from heat and pour over corn pops and stir well. Spread on cookie sheets and bake at 250 for approx. 45 min.

As many of you know, I have intestinal issues and I can eat this with no problem because it has no hulls, kernels, etc. It digests fine with no tummy problems too because the puffs are so light. This stuff is delicious and addictive and you can add all kinds of stuff like drizzled chocolate, pretzels, nuts whatever to the mix! Oh and it is a great snack for littler kids who can't tolerate popcorn or the hazard of chocking on hulls.

stitchwitch
04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Oh man, after having diverticulitis last year that damn near killed me and spending a week in the hospital this is the best thing I've seen in awhile. I can't eat popcorn anymore and I miss it! Thank you!!!!:muah:

nonny2t
04-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Oh man, after having diverticulitis last year that damn near killed me and spending a week in the hospital this is the best thing I've seen in awhile. I can't eat popcorn anymore and I miss it! Thank you!!!!:muah:
I too have diverticulitis, lost part of my colon when one of them ruptured and so I was thrilled when a friend I was visiting offered me some of this. It is terrific! Hope you don't ever have to have surgery for it! I had it 6 months ago, have an ostomy bag and a week from Monday they go back in to reattach my colon. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did.

stitchwitch
04-10-2008, 08:32 PM
So sorry you had the surgery, I squeeked by with 7 days of IV antibiotics (3 at a time) and 15 days of oral antibiotics afterward. Luckily, I didn't burst, I guess my intestine was stretchy enough to take on the infection but I was hours away from surgery on the third day. Not a fun experience, I hope everything goes real well with your follow up surgery, I'll be thinking of you!!!:hug:

monzogary
04-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Do you think it would matter if I don't have the baking soda? I have everything else, and i"m sick and it sounds sssoooo good!

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
YUM!!!

BinkyKat
04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I LOVE Puffcorn! And this recipe is great 'cuz it's a crunchy caramel not gooey and super sticky.
To make it like Boy Scout carmel corn with chocolate, cover the carmel corn in chocolate coating :shock:
Even just covering in white chocolate without the carmel is good. At Halloween and Christmas, we call it Ghost Poop or Snowman Poop and do it up in baggies for potluck treats.:teehee:

GinnyG
04-15-2008, 10:58 AM
I have never seen/heard of Corn Puffs......... are they in the snack isle?

bailsmom
04-15-2008, 11:02 AM
I have never seen/heard of Corn Puffs......... are they in the snack isle?

If my memory is correct, Corn Puffs is a cereal.

GinnyG
04-15-2008, 11:06 AM
You mean like Kellogs Corn puffs??

monzogary
04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
No, not cereal. This type of snack puffs (the plain corn ones): http://bmchips.com/puffstuff.aspx

GinnyG
04-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Imagine that, a snack food I have never seen!!! I'll have to look at my local store but I don't recall ever seeing that before !

monzogary
04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
You may not find that brand, but probably something similar anyway. My kids loved that stuff when they were too little to have real popcorn.

BinkyKat
04-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Do you think it would matter if I don't have the baking soda? I have everything else, and i"m sick and it sounds sssoooo good!
i believe it would make a difference, it sort of bubbles and i think is what makes the carmel crunchy and not taffy-like.:thumbsup:
make sense?:shrug:

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 12:35 AM
They are sort of like popcorn without the hull and puffier. Tasty!