PDA

View Full Version : What's a "nice" self-stripping yarn?

cheley
04-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi everyone...yea, I am really behind the times...anyway, I have seen some really nice projects (socks, gloves etc.) worked with self-stripping stuff..What's a real "nice" brand...I like half wool (or around 75%) and some acrylic...something washable ( as I donate my stuff out)... and oh yea, not real big $$$$$..Any thoughts Thank you:hug:

redheadrachel
04-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I've only used Online Supersocke and it was good, washable wool and nylon. I also used their cotton/wool/nylon and it was night and light but still durable. I've also heard some good things about Knit Picks Felici, another washable sock yarn that is extremely affordable.

Cynamar
04-13-2008, 11:43 PM
I have Felici but haven't used it yet but I love Knit Picks and can't brag on them enough. Felici is beautiful and feels good.

knitgal
04-14-2008, 08:16 AM
I have used Austermann Step for socks and really liked it. It has aloe and jojoba oil in it to soften your hands. Patons Kroy is also nice.
Are you on Ravelry? One of my favourite things in the yarn reviews on there. It really helps me get a feel for what other people think.

Mirl56
04-14-2008, 12:43 PM
I've used a lot of the Opal yarns, too.

Honestly, I've never met a self-stripping yarn I didn't like! :knitting:

HamaLee
04-14-2008, 01:27 PM
I've been happy with the Sockotta I've encountered, though I think that's a cotton/nylon blend. I can't remember.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-14-2008, 02:02 PM
i've been using the moda dea sassy stripes and it's alright... not crazy about the yellow in the color "lucky" (my favorite color combos are purple, green and white... the rose colors in the yarn are ok but the yellow has me not too crazy)...

it's the only self-striping yarn i've used at this point.... i do have a skein of red heart strata in my yarn bin (yes, i only have one bin LOL)

hartleystudio
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I just finished some socks out of Regia and I love them. It doesn't just self stripe but makes a really great pattern as well.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff64/heyhartley/P3030041.jpg

I got the yarn on ebay for about $7 for two skeins but I have seen it elsewhere for $10 ish each. Each skein makes one sock. (Actually, you could probably make two pair of socks from 3 skeins...)