PDA

View Full Version : Elann and KP yarns and...

tropicallie
04-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm wondering something. I have used quite a bit of yarn from Knit Picks and Elann's brand of yarn but have never seen either used for any of the patterns found in magazines. I've seen both these yarns advertised in almost every knitting and crochet magazine I have so why no patterns?

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I wonder if it's because you have to get them from a website and not your LYS.

suzeeq
04-14-2008, 02:22 PM
A little secret about the magazine industry is that many advertisers want the articles (and patterns) to mention their products. I'm not sure elann advertises in magazines, knitpicks does a little, but it's mostly the big name companies who do. You can substitute elann and KP's yarns for others of the same weight, and find patterns made with their yarn on their websites.

marlajap
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
There's probably a couple of things at play here - for one, some of the most popular designers are contracted by a particular yarn company to design for their line. Another thing is that, in some cases, the designers and magazine do not pay for the yarn, it is provided to the designer by the manufacturer in exchange for all of that lovely publicity. So if KP and Elann don't do those things, then their yarns are not going to get that kind of press.

I have seen, however, one or two Phoenix Bess designs in Elann yarn, among other things. Personally, I find both KP's free patterns and the Elann free patterns to be a bit frustrating - I rarely find anything that I could actually knit for myself without doing a whole heck of a lot of knitting math (46" actual bust).

Regards,