PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite CO for hats??

cheley
04-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi everyone...I always do the long-tail cast on...But (I'm getting braver) Sometimes (if the co is too wonky) I'll go around and pick-up sts and crochet, but that doesn't give the edge too much flexibility. I am sure that there is a "nicer" cast on for hats......Been watching (KH videos) and I just can't decide...Sooo what's the deal...any opinions appreciated...Thanks:hug:

boo1
04-14-2008, 06:54 PM
I think it looks nicer.

MaleKnitter
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
well, when using k1 p1 ribbing at the base of the hat, I have heard that using a tubular cast-on is very good. I don't know where the best instructions can be found but there were several tutorials on google (and there are several good books that show how to do it)
but other than that, I would probably just use a regular long tail cast-on.

ooh, also the old norwegian cast on is good... just make sure it's not too tight.

Mirl56
04-15-2008, 06:28 AM
I've always heard the long tail cst on is best for socks because it's more stretchy then most cast ons - I'd think you'd want the same thing for a hat.

suzeeq
04-15-2008, 10:18 AM
I use the longtail most of the time - for hats, scarves, sweaters. I think it's fairly stretchy.

of troy
04-15-2008, 10:48 AM
WARNING: Cast on's are one of my obsessions.

i think that for any thing that hangs around the face (neck bands of sweaters or brims of hats) its important to have a special edge.

if you are doing a brim up (to crown) hat, these means a special cast on..

1--Long tail is OK

2--2 color long tail (use a CC for thumb, MC for index finger) is better--
the CC can be a different color, or angora or fun fur, or chenille, or (the list goes on)

Don't want a CC?
3--then try the Twisted (aka German, german twisted, norwegian, norwegian twisted, etc) Long tail

4--or how about a braid cast on? (yet another version of Long tail) it, too usually is done in colors (3 to 5!) but it can be done with multiple strands of a single color.

(and there are other variations of long tail that are very pretty besides these)

5--Or try a channel island cast on.. Very stretchy, pretty petite picots.

6--Or a tubular.. (that goes into a 1 X 1 rib, and the ribbing ends with an eyelet)

Which cast on is so dependent on which cast ons you know!
(A--know what they look like, B--know how they behave, C--know how to do!)

you can look on my blog my 4 part series (http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/cast-ons-part-1.html) about cast on--at the bottom of each page there is a link to the next part-- (part 4 is a collection of links to tutorial and reference) or look in my photo gallery (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/Hats/)for some ideas in use. (i have also just started doing some video's of cast on's my self!)

Hats are a perfect venue for learning new cast on.. and they show off fancy needle work!

cheley
04-15-2008, 01:38 PM
WARNING: Cast on's are one of my obsessions.

i think that for any thing that hangs around the face (neck bands of sweaters or brims of hats) its important to have a special edge.

if you are doing a brim up (to crown) hat, these means a special cast on..

1--Long tail is OK

2--2 color long tail (use a CC for thumb, MC for index finger) is better--
the CC can be a different color, or angora or fun fur, or chenille, or (the list goes on)

Don't want a CC?
3--then try the Twisted (aka German, german twisted, norwegian, norwegian twisted, etc) Long tail

4--or how about a braid cast on? (yet another version of Long tail) it, too usually is done in colors (3 to 5!) but it can be done with multiple strands of a single color.

(and there are other variations of long tail that are very pretty besides these)

5--Or try a channel island cast on.. Very stretchy, pretty petite picots.

6--Or a tubular.. (that goes into a 1 X 1 rib, and the ribbing ends with an eyelet)

Which cast on is so dependent on which cast ons you know!
(A--know what they look like, B--know how they behave, C--know how to do!)

you can look on my blog my 4 part series (http://golden-apples.blogspot.com/2007/03/cast-ons-part-1.html) about cast on--at the bottom of each page there is a link to the next part-- (part 4 is a collection of links to tutorial and reference) or look in my photo gallery (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/oftroy/Hats/)for some ideas in use. (i have also just started doing some video's of cast on's my self!)

Hats are a perfect venue for learning new cast on.. and they show off fancy needle work!Wow!!!:notworthy: very nice hats....Thanks soo much:hug: