PDA

View Full Version : To sell or not to sell my wedding dress?

vaknitter
04-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I have been married almost 2 yrs and I think I would like to sell my wedding dress. I was going to sell it last year and a girl asked me to hold it for her and then she backed out at the last minute. I have another girl now who would like to come try it on and to me it sounds "right" b/c she is getting on a budget (as I did) and in the same month I did...anyway, now my husband is thinking I should keep the dress.
My mother kept her wedding dress and shoes and both had yellowed by the time I was in high school. Even still, I am taller and have broader shoulders than my mother so I could not have worn it.
SO...do I sell it and never look back? Or do I spend $$ drdy cleaning it and pile it into a closet and move it with me for the next 30 yrs and hope I have a daughter who is my size and wants to wear my wedding dress?

Cynamar
04-14-2008, 08:30 PM
If you decide to keep I would invest in the preservation thing they can do.

katknit
04-14-2008, 08:56 PM
I preserved my wedding dress and veil, thinking my daughter might use them. But no. For 30 years it's been in a big gold box in a closet. So I probably wouldn't do it again.
Come to think of it, I should sell mine!
:lol:

iza
04-14-2008, 09:19 PM
My mom used the fabric from her wedding dress to make a cradle blanket. I always thought it was a great idea! She got to keep a part of her dress AND she made it into something useful. :thumbsup:

Doublereeder2
04-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Or you can donate it to H.A.I.N. (http://heavenlyangelsinneed.com/) and give some comfort to those in need.

Silver
04-14-2008, 10:07 PM
I think wearing your mother's wedding dress is an old tradition and as the years go by, fewer and fewer women want to, or even can wear their mom's wedding dress. Just sell it. No big deal.

My mom's wedding dress was adorable, but a size 2, which I haven't been since I was in the 6th grade. :teehee:

callmesusan
04-15-2008, 01:30 AM
When I was a little girl, my mother gave her wedding dress to me and my four sisters to dress up in. We played with that dress for years, and I can still remember the smell of the fabric (I'm 51!). When my daughter was three or so, I gave my dress and veil to her. She dressed up in that thing until it was a stained up, torn, pinned, tied together rag! She is 26 and still talks about the fun she had in that dress. She is now married and is saving her dress for her daughter's toy box. When she tells young women of her plan, they gasp! She just cannot understand their reaction. :teehee:

DQ
04-15-2008, 05:41 AM
When I was a little girl, my mother gave her wedding dress to me and my four sisters to dress up in. We played with that dress for years, and I can still remember the smell of the fabric (I'm 51!). When my daughter was three or so, I gave my dress and veil to her. She dressed up in that thing until it was a stained up, torn, pinned, tied together rag! She is 26 and still talks about the fun she had in that dress. She is now married and is saving her dress for her daughter's toy box. When she tells young women of her plan, they gasp! She just cannot understand their reaction. :teehee:

Aww! My mum let me wear her wedding dress for a princess party when I was little :mrgreen:

Silver
04-15-2008, 06:59 AM
When I was a little girl, my mother gave her wedding dress to me and my four sisters to dress up in....
That is a really cute tradition!! I LOVE it!! :inlove: :cheering:

cindycactus
04-15-2008, 08:39 AM
My daughter saved her wedding dress but neither of her daughters could fit into it. Recently she asked me to cut it up and make 5 prairie dolls and make the dresses for them out of the lace and satin. She wanted two for her daughters and two for her granddaughters as keepsakes. She thought she would keep the fifth one just in case there is another granddaughter in the future. I felt honored that I could do this for all of them.

stitchwitch
04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
My mom let me wear her wedding dress when I was a kid, like Silver, my mom was size 2 when she got married. It was this lacy, scratchy thing but I thought it was grand.
I've kept my dress for the past 15 years, lugging it around from house to house as we've moved. I'll never have kids so I guess I keep it for more sentimental reasons. Somehow getting rid of it would freak me out.

GinnyG
04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't sell it. The resale value is minimal, the nostalgic value great. It doesn't matter if you ever expect anyone to use the gown or not it is a momento of a special day and should be preserved.

vaknitter
04-15-2008, 12:26 PM
thanks for all the opinions and stories - keep them coming !!
I'm not worried about the financial value as I bought it at a clearance sale so it was not expensive. My thinking is more that I felt beautiful wearing my dress that day and would like another bride (on a budget as I was) to be able to feel the same way without spending $1000+. I have the picures and my ring. Honestly the sentimental part of my wedding was my nephew walking down the aisle with the ring bearer pillow (made by my mother) with my grandparents wedding bands tied in place with ours (they were married 50yrs and both died with their bands on and they were specifically left to me) I will always keep that pillow and the garter I made. We rented the hubbies tux, so why keep the dress?
this is a picture of the dress when I went to have the bustle done so no corset or anything ...

dustinac
04-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I still have my dress...never been worn :rofl: long story but due to drama (not us other family members) we eloped instead of having the big Christmas wedding...I've kept it because in 2 years we are suppose to have a little ceremony...on our 10th year...:teehee:

I would prolly keep it 'cause I like the idea of letting Roo play with the dress... I have thought about selling it before...but I think you already know what you want to do and that is sell the dress...I think that is great and nothing wrong with that at all :hug:

Sunshine's Mom
04-15-2008, 02:52 PM
What a beautiful dress. I loved mine too. I felt like a princess on my wedding day. I've still got hanging in it's bag with the shoes and the tiara, etc.. I'm not sure why I keep it except for the fact that I love it. We don't have children and I only have nephews so unless my friend's daughter wants it, it may eventually be given to charity. I'm hoping to still be able to fit into it and wear it on our 10th anniversary. That would be a hoot!

Jan in CA
04-15-2008, 06:31 PM
I don't know about saving it. It sounds like such a great memento, but in the end I've got a size 6 outdated dress in a box that doesn't store easily. It would have made more sense to sell it when it was in style. Good ideas about making something with it though. If I EVER get grandkids I'll have to do that. :thumbsup:

Cynamar
04-16-2008, 12:33 AM
I couldn't get rid of it, but if it's not the most sentimental part of your wedding to you then I think it is a wonderful, selfless, noble thing to think of another bride feeling like you did when you wore it.

scout52
04-17-2008, 01:23 AM
I agree with Cynamar. If that wasn't the sentimental part of your wedding. It would be such a selfless act on your part to give such a beautiful dress to someone on a budget so she could look just as beautiful on her wedding day. It is a very beautiful dress which by the way looks FABULOUS on you!!

msoebel
04-17-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm sentimental, but I tend not to be overly sentimental about things. I mean, I have my wedding band and my engagement ring, and a blue topaz ring my dd bought me for mother's day a few years ago, and a few letters and stuff that I would like to hold on to. Other than that, things are just things.

That said, I still have my wedding dress in a box. I don't know why except that the store I bought it from preserved it for free, so now I have it. They offered to preserve it because they didn't hem it like there were supposed to, and I fell down the stairs.

It's way too long to be a dress-up dress (it's got a small train). Maybe I'll just save it and make a quilt with it for dd as a wedding gift in about 25-30 years (she's only 4!).

CountryKitty
04-17-2008, 11:00 PM
I started to sell my wedding dress a couple of years ago but Hubby convinced me not too. This year on Spring Break my DD (17.5yo) got really bored and got into my closet. Got her hands on my wedding dress and swished around in it for a half hour or so, insisting "This is so PREEEETTYYYY!' (Hubby wasn't ready for DD in a wedding dress and said so!)

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I don't blame him! I would like to put mine in a burkha.

Jen17
04-18-2008, 10:57 PM
My daughter saved her wedding dress but neither of her daughters could fit into it. Recently she asked me to cut it up and make 5 prairie dolls and make the dresses for them out of the lace and satin. She wanted two for her daughters and two for her granddaughters as keepsakes. She thought she would keep the fifth one just in case there is another granddaughter in the future. I felt honored that I could do this for all of them.
what a wonderful idea Cindy, do you have pictures of what these dolls look like?

Jen

JessicaR
04-19-2008, 04:53 PM
I happen to come across this thread and we are de-cluttering our house/lives. I think I'll donate mine to the baby thing, that would be cool. I'm not really attached to my dress, it was off the rack because we planned our wedding in 26 days.

starburst
04-20-2008, 08:52 PM
My mom saved her wedding dress and she really pushed the idea of my sister wearing it for her wedding. My sister and I both felt horrible because it was really difficult to tell her that her wedding dress was hideous. it was hand made out of muslin and she and her friends embroidered giant leaves and mushrooms all over the sleeves and the bottom hem in olive greens, mustard yellow, and brown. Sentimentally, it's priceless, but it's out lived it's lifespan.

Cynamar
04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh, gosh! She didn't really think that everyone would love it, did she? I mean, she obviously did and that's wonderful but it sounds like a dress you have to really be committed to if you know what I mean.

starburst
04-21-2008, 01:21 AM
I feel bad even mentioning it. My mom just has a very different style and no doubt the dress was beautiful on her but it wasn't a style that my sister or I buy into much

Cynamar
04-21-2008, 01:45 AM
You have to keep it forever. You don't have to wear it. I am so curious and would kill for a picture.

GinnyG
04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
My mom saved her wedding dress and she really pushed the idea of my sister wearing it for her wedding. My sister and I both felt horrible because it was really difficult to tell her that her wedding dress was hideous. it was hand made out of muslem and she and her friends embroidered giant leaves and mushrooms all over the sleeves and the bottom hem in olive greens, mustard yellow, and brown. Sentimentally, it's priceless, but it's out lived it's lifespan.

HAHAHAHA, I had to laugh because my gues sis she was a late 60's or early 70's Bride (I was too) and that would have REALLY been "stylin" back then. :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I showed my daughter some of my hand embroidered, muslin tops from that era when she was in high school and she's called me "hippie mom" ever since!!

iwouldratherbeknitting
04-26-2008, 11:35 AM
You could make some SIMPLE angel ornaments out of the fabric or the lace from the wedding dress. Super easy to do and would be treasured by all.. your mom, grandmother, children, and future grandchildren???

The angel wings can be made.. simply by dipping the 'lace part in glue/water mixture .. squeezing out as much glue as you can, dry flat on saran wrap (? anything that it won't stick to) and then when dry.. cut wing shapes out.. (that you have traced onto thin cardboard (cereal or cracker box) that you use as a pattern... just trace around it and cut the lace angel wings out.

Body of angel? Simply grab a rectangle or square for the body, stuff some cotton balls (or batting) in the center for a small head, tie lace or a ribbon, or even just wrap a heavy piece of thread around the neck (under the head 'stuffing').. then, there you have the body of the clothing hanging down. You can even tie another ribbon or some lace around the waist.. but, it's not necessary.

Hot glue or sew the wings to the back. No need to add hair.. but, you could use some of the lace.. gathered for the hair or use ribbons.

OR you could just sew a lace (w/ the wedding dress fabric) into a small stuffed pillow.. use a ribbon as a hanger.. and you have a 'nice stuffed' lacy ornament for your tree. You can dress it up w/ beads threaded hanging down from the botton of the little ornament pillow. *If you turn it on a corner.. the beads and the lace hanger can be put on the corners.

wiredqs
04-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I had mine preserved and boxed, and left it in Mom's spare room closet. After about 25 years she got fed up and donated it to a thrift shop where she did volunteer work. She said that the person who bought it used it for a Haloween costurme and gave her a picture. She offered it to me, but I declined.
(I never did ask what she did with my toe shoes and ice skates)

Knit4Fun
04-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I've had a similar dilemma with my dress...I've heard so many people talk about scams with dress preservation that I was wary to do that.

The couple of ideas that I have for mine are:

1) To cut some of it to keepsake as Christmas ornaments;
2) To cut some of it to make into a small quilt or pillow;
3) To donate the rest to H.A.I.N. in memory of a lost child.

Now I just need to gain proficiency in sewing (or at least buy a machine) to do this! :teehee:

There's no right or wrong answer about what to do...it's just what makes most sense to you and feels most comfortable to you.

YarnKitten
04-28-2008, 12:16 AM
My mother sold her dress, but then, my mother wasn't picky and bargained for the dress at a yard sale. :P She told me that the only dress she had custom made was actually my flower girl dress (I was seven or eight when they were married, can never remember since they married on my birthday).

I'm not sure what I would do. XD I mean, I'm not a big dress fan but I kept the dress from the last prom I went to with my last boyfriend. But ... as he turned into a *cough*impolite word*cough*, the dress suddenly lost value! *fake shock* It was only twelve dollars at a second hand place and didn't fit me quite properly anyway. (I really should have had it taken in just a WEE bit.)

JessicaR
04-28-2008, 04:05 AM
Ok, y'all know I'm a nut right? I'm a little n-u-t, I'm as cute as I can be :eyebrow2:

Anywho, it's 3am here and well, I'm just wasting time and space. Opened up this thread again and thought, what the heck, let's get the dress out and see if it fits ;) So, I did! And it still does!!! :roflhard: Took a pic so y'all can laugh at me. Maybe I'll just keep it and dance around the house?