PDA

View Full Version : Guage Frustration :(

bailsmom
04-15-2008, 11:05 AM
What do you all do when you have the most wonderful yarn in your possession, plenty of it to make a sweater, have the pattern and start trying to find your correct guage and you get it down to 2 different sized needles and the one is just a bit too large and the other one is just a hair to small??

I'm driving myself nuts trying to make one of them work and I'm just so sick of making the same swatch over and over and over again hoping it'll make some difference and it never does.

Any suggestions?

suzeeq
04-15-2008, 11:19 AM
You could use one of each size....

I think most people might say use the smaller one and block it larger. I usually ignore needle size and use what I want (usually larger), making a smaller size of the pattern or knit it to fit my measurements, not the pattern.

msmelody
04-15-2008, 11:58 AM
I so feel for you. I am having the same problem. I can get guage on flat knitting, but when I try on circular, it does not happen. I have put it aside, until I can look at it without crying. I wish you luck.

Plantgoddess+
04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I so feel for you. I am having the same problem. I can get guage on flat knitting, but when I try on circular, it does not happen. I have put it aside, until I can look at it without crying. I wish you luck.
The Yarn Harlot talks about swatching for circular knitting. Most peoples gauge is different on circulars than straights. She recommends casting a swatch on the circular and when you get to the end of the row when you turn your knitting carry the yarn across the back loosely and start knitting again. Knit your swatch and measure.

bailsmom
04-15-2008, 02:37 PM
That's all I use is circular needles, I can't even remember the last time I used straights. I just figured since it's a sweater I'll need the extra length.

Should I try guaging it on straights? I guess I could use one of each and see how that goes. :shrug:

I'm not using wool so I don't/can't block it. Right? It's so funny how all of a sudden I start second guessing myself on the simplest things. Of course 3 years ago this wasn't a simple thing for me! :teehee:

babsnelson
04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
I've read that people will use 2 different sized needles to get gauge. Apparently they purl tighter than they knit (or vise-versa) and using two different needles sizes solves the problem.

suzeeq
04-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Don't frustrate yourself too much over it. Use whichever one you prefer and fudge the pattern.

yuyay
04-15-2008, 09:27 PM
That's all I use is circular needles, I can't even remember the last time I used straights. I just figured since it's a sweater I'll need the extra length.

Should I try guaging it on straights? I guess I could use one of each and see how that goes. :shrug:

It's not the needles that makes the difference, it's the technique of circular knitting or flat knitting. When you knit circularly you are only knitting. When you knit flat, you are alternating. Most people purl at a looser gauge than they knit (though some are the opposite and a few lucky ones knit and purl equally). If the sweater is knit in the round you have to swatch in the round. If the sweater is knit flat, you only have to swatch flat.

One thing to do is to figure out if your purls are looser than your knits and use the smaller needle for the looser stitch.

Which fabric do you like better? Do some calculations with whatever gauge you get and see if any of the other sizes will give you the finished size you want.

knitasha
04-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Don't frustrate yourself too much over it. Use whichever one you prefer and fudge the pattern.

Exactly. Use the smaller needles and add a few stitches to each row of the sweater pieces.
Or use the larger needles and knit a few less stitches on each row. (Decide which gives you a nicer fabric.)
If there are cables or other patterns, fudge the number of stitches between repeats.
You already know your gauge so you can easily figure how many more or less stitches you will need to make the sweater the right size.

You're the boss; the pattern is your servant.:thumbsup:

Knitting_Guy
04-15-2008, 11:56 PM
Just go with what ya want, but maybe the little larger size isn't so bad. Thanksgiving is just around corner :rofl: