PDA

View Full Version : needle sizing question

SandraS
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Since I've become a sock knitting addict, I have all the common sock knitting sizes of dpns. (no, can't use 2 or even 1 circular, and it's ok), and use the Clover bamboo. I started reading about the Harmony Wood dpns from Knitpicks and much to my surprise, I found that there's 2 actual sizes of a size 1 and a size 2 dpn! Clover comes in one size only, but here I am faced with another size in mm's. The sz 1 is 2.25mm and 2.50mm. The sz 2 is 2.75mm and 3.00mm. Having tools, yarn, and pattern OCD makes me want to rush to order cause I'm missing sizes!
So, finally here's my question. Is there that much difference between the sizes and how does Harmony Wood dpns compare to Clover bamboo? I love my bamboo. Bamboo rescued me from the horror of ladders. But those missing sizes are calling to me.

Plantgoddess+
04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
I just got the nickle plated Options dpns and I do see and feel a difference in the 2 different size 1s and the 2 size 2s. I am working on 2 different socks using both size 2s, the 2.75 and the 3 mm. I feel a difference when I switch from working on one sock to the other. The yarns are different, ones KP Palette and the other is a cotton Elann Esprit and I like the difference in sizes of the needles for getting gauge and a look I like in the pattern. Who knew?

babsnelson
04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
I have similar questions - I *heart* my bamboo, but I really need size 2.5 mm. I think I'll get a set with my next KP order because I don't like the gauge I get with 2.75's.