PDA

View Full Version : Afghan pattern for Bernat Max yarn

biirrd
04-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I have some Bernat "Max" yarn that I want to knit an afghan from. But because of the way it varies in thickness along the strand, I'm not sure what an appropriate pattern would be. I'd like to find someone who has used this yarn and can give me some suggestions as to what type of pattern I should use. Bernat has been no help; only suggesting the pillow and scarf patterns they have for that yarn and both of those were crochet. Maybe someone has had experience with another type of bulky yarn that does this; it's super thick in places and then goes down to like a worsted weight in places. I love the colors in this yarn I have and I know it will make a beatiful afghan; I just need a pattern! Can anyone help me?

Mirl56
04-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Are you on Ralvery? I looked there for Max yarn - found 42 projects. Most of them were scarfs and hats. One person made a cute Anthropologie-inspired capelet.

biirrd
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
No, Marilyn; I don't know what that is. Could you tell me how to find it? I'll try and Google it. Even a scarf pattern would help; I could just make it BIG!
And I like your quote....
Thanks!
Robin

Plantgoddess+
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm not familiar with the yarn you have, but I had a similar bulky yarn and didn't want any more heavy sweaters so I just cast on a bunch of stitches in a multiple of 8 and did a basket weave pattern. k4, p4 for row 1 and 3, and p4, k4 row 2 and 4 then switch to p4, k4. I also had 3 colors of yarn and alternated them every 4th row as well. I just knit until I was out of yarn.
It has nice visual interest with the irregular yarn and the colors and the pattern and it is a tight enough pattern stitch to be warm.

biirrd
04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the idea! That sounds easy enough! What size needles did you use?
Robin

Plantgoddess+
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
I believe it was size 11 circular. I wanted it to be warm. My husband hates for his toes to poke through holes in the design.
It is not knit very tight at that size needle so it still drapes well.

biirrd
04-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Okay, thanks! Yes, I know what your husband means; I feel the same way. I have some Max yarn in another color that wasn't planned for anything, so I'll try knitting a small piece with it using your suggestion and see what I think.But it sounds like it will work. Maybe I can post a pic on here when I get my afghan done!
Robin