PDA

View Full Version : seaming..

Ginnyb
04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I just do not enjoy seaming! I do the mattress stitch, but I always seem to get off track....I am seaming up a sleeve and the seam kept getting wider and wider. How does that happen? I just don't like sewing at all and this is too much like sewing for me. Grrrrr, I just want to get it done!
Ginny

suzeeq
04-16-2008, 09:38 AM
Are you seaming in the same stitches you started with on the cuff? Since you probably increased on the edges, that's making your seam grow larger while your sleeve stays the same width all the way up. You want to keep the seam stitches between the first and second stitches on the edge so the sleeve width grows from the increases.

scmomof4
04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
I just do not enjoy seaming! I do the mattress stitch, but I always seem to get off track....I am seaming up a sleeve and the seam kept getting wider and wider. How does that happen? I just don't like sewing at all and this is too much like sewing for me. Grrrrr, I just want to get it done!
Ginny

I feel your pain. :hug: I will say, though, that it does get easier the more you do it. (I know, like mom used to say during piano lessons.) The hardest part for me is getting it started right.

One trick that has helped me is to keep it loose as I go up so that it is easier to see the stitch on the edge. I pull the seam tight when I am farther away from where i am stitching.

Ginnyb
04-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I am trying to do that, but all of a sudden I will be like 4 stitches in and I have to take it out and start again, I am driving myself crazy. I don't understand if I am following a row of stitches, how I can get off? Guess like scmomof4 said, it will get better the more I do....

suzeeq
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM
When you follow the same row of stitches on a piece with an increase, you're going straight up while the edge is slanting out. You'll have to jog over a stich everytime a new one is added. I guess this is why people recommend doing the incs one st in from the edge, that way you have a single one along the edge that you can seam from.

LadyB
04-16-2008, 11:31 AM
You can get the same effect with less effort by using a crochet hook to seam. The principle is the same as a 3-needle bind off, but the finished product looks like the mattress stitch.

scmomof4
04-16-2008, 04:15 PM
As suzeeq points out the ONLY stitch you should be following is the one on the edge. Find the edge and move over one. You can check if you are staying matched up vertical wise by seeing if you have the increases happening at the same time on both sides.

The single crochet seam is really pretty and gives more structure for the sweater. I like the directions in Vogue Knitting.

I know you are antsy to finish the darn thing, but you may want to set it aside for a bit. (Says the woman who was up until 11 pm last night finishing a shell. ;) ) :heart:

gamerchik
04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Where are instructions for the crochet seaming? Is that just doing single crochet to joing the two seams, but it will look like mattress stitch?

I don't mind mattress stitch, but I'm curious. :D

sbeebe
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Earlier, I posted a question about seaming also but no one's been able to respond. My problem is how to finish the seam (mattress stitch). Do I tie a knot (I know knots are bad), or just weave in the rest of the yarn? I don't want the seam coming undone.

scmomof4
04-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I can only answer for *me* but I usually tie a small knot and then weave in the end. UNLESS I am doing another finish over where the seams come together- eg I have to do a crochet edge around the entire edge. Then I count on the edge to hold everything in place.

This (http://chezplum.com/tutorial-single-crochet-seam/) is a good series of pics on how to do the single crochet seam. It looks uber professional when finished.

vak420
04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Earlier, I posted a question about seaming also but no one's been able to respond. My problem is how to finish the seam (mattress stitch). Do I tie a knot (I know knots are bad), or just weave in the rest of the yarn? I don't want the seam coming undone.

Yes, I usually weave in the ends. I used to hate seaming, but after a few projects I am beginning to get the hang of it. Few things I learned:

- leave a bit extra lenght of yarn when I join a new ball; they come in handy when I am seaming.

- same thing for the tail of my long tail cast on

- I don't cast off when I am shaping shoulders, instead I do short rows and join them using three needle bind-off, thus eliminating two seams :happydance:

- I think seams get too much bad PR.
I think of them as good places to hide my joins, especially if the yarn I am knitting with is not wool and I can't do a felted join. That makes it easier for me to bear the pain.

suzeeq
04-16-2008, 09:59 PM
This (http://chezplum.com/tutorial-single-crochet-seam/) is a good series of pics on how to do the single crochet seam. It looks uber professional when finished.

Is she doing that on the WS? Must be or the sc would show....

MAmaDawn
04-16-2008, 10:30 PM
I don't like seaming either, I avoid it whenever I can... it's evil! :teehee: Knitting is better... :teehee:

gargoylelib
04-17-2008, 05:02 AM
Something that I have found useful when a project is going to be
seamed is to make a selvedge stitch. Basically just knit the first
and last stitch of every row regardless of what the pattern stitch
is and it makes a nice garter stitch edge that is easily recognizable
from the rest of the knitting (unless the whole piece is in garter
stitch :wink: ). Also, any increases or decreases I do one stitch
in from the edge so that the selvedge remains nice adn straight.
Makes seaming alot easier when I have a clear line to follow!

Libbie :)

scmomof4
04-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Suzeeq, yes that is right sides together seam.

sbeebe
04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Thank you SO much for your help!