PDA

View Full Version : Yarn Shopping Excitement!!

jdee
04-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Ok, so I was just going to the yarn store to look. We don't have a local one, so every time we're in Plano, Dh drops me by the Woolie Ewe to look around, touch, and maybe drool a little. Usually, I buy some sock yarn, or some plymouth encore, or something nice, but still on the affordable side.

yesterday, I hit the jackpot. Outside, they had a table outside with bags of yarn on it for sale. You know the bags of ten that get shipped to yarn stores from the companies? That was what the had on the table, and they must have been clearing them out, because they were on sale for $15 per package of ten. Well, on that table, I found two bags of Crystal Palace Creme, and I had to pick them up. I'd never seen this yarn in person, but I have to say, it was love at first sight. It's a beautiful, wool/silk blend, and it's just crazy soft. I didn't know what I'd make, but for that price, I'd find something. When we went to pay out, and the lady told us that she had more of each color, and they were selling for $1.50 a skein, I was really happy, because that meant I could make anything, and not worry about running out. They had nine more of the purple, and 10 more of the coral, so I got all they had of each. My husband is wonderful, and he appreciates a good deal, so I didn't have to worry about trying to explain to him why I did it.

So I ended up with 39 balls of Crystal Palace Creme for a little over $63 dollars, and the price on one of the extra balls I bought was $9.40. WOW!! I'm not trying to be braggy, but I'm extremely excited to have found this great bargain, and I just had to tell the people I knew would understand, and share my happiness. I took two pics, one of the whole loot, and one close up of the purple, because the first pic didn't do it justice.

eladine
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Lol.... but oh WOW!!!

I love bargains like that!! Well found!

sue in canada
04-17-2008, 12:15 PM
What a deal. Just love those colours.

mwhite
04-17-2008, 12:17 PM
You lucky girl! The purple IS gorgeous and love the coral as well! Does hubby have a brother? LOL!

jdee
04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Does hubby have a brother? LOL!

LOL...Yes, but he's married.

scout52
04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
oooh pretty and what a great deal!!!

cindycactus
04-17-2008, 01:39 PM
What a lucky girl you are. I love the coral.:thumbsup:

Lisa R.
04-17-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm not trying to be braggy, Okay, I agree that being braggy isn't normally a good character trait;)---but you have GREAT reason!!! Whoo-hoo! What a deal!:happydance:

Plantgoddess+
04-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Great score! Beautiful colors as well. Think of the double enjoyment of making something out of that gorgeous yarn and at a great discount.

msmelody
04-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Love your bargain shopping. I found Jaeger Matchmaker 4ply Merino 10 balls for $10. I could not believe my good luck. Now I have to decide if I want to knit it or sell it for something else.

xxkarenlxx
04-17-2008, 02:32 PM
What a fantastic find. How nice for you. Can't wait to see what you turn that beautiful yarn into.

gargoyle08
04-17-2008, 05:40 PM
A great deal, beautiful yarn! Good for you! :D

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 06:11 PM
That's the kind of bragging we like to hear! Congratulations on your deal! We're all jealous!

auburnchick
04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Okay, I agree that being braggy isn't normally a good character trait;)---but you have GREAT reason!!! Whoo-hoo! What a deal!:happydance:

I think that bragging is a character trait that inevitably becomes a part of each knitter's character. I mean, how often do you find such great deals??

Lovely yarn, BTW! :inlove:

merryknitter
04-17-2008, 08:57 PM
I am sooooo happy for you! What are you going to knit? That is so sweet of your Hubby...mine would do the same! Can't wait to see what you're going to knit...good thing you live in Texas...I would be tempted to snatch that purple yarn from you! LOL!
Enjoy!

princessbonniejane
04-17-2008, 09:03 PM
:passedout:that was a great bargain. I am so envious:nails::wall:. Hope you enjoy it:muah:

1to1
04-18-2008, 01:11 PM
OMG love, love, love the colors!!!! :woot: What a steal...I mean deal!! :mrgreen:

reniegirl
04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I live in Sherman, Tx and I am itching to go The Woolie Ewe. I trying to talk my husband into taking me there. I love the colors you got.
Sharice

marlajap
04-18-2008, 02:42 PM
I love your new stash items. Very nice bargain, and I am crazy about purple, so I'm jealous. :mrgreen:

Note - Crystal Palace had some nice patterns for Creme, but they are taking them down very soon, since the yarn has been discontinued. I particularly love this one: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/creme-aran.html, and this one: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/creme-slevless-brknrib.html

Regards,

jdee
04-18-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the links. I've been looking through all my magazines, trying to figure out what I want to knit with my new yarn, and I just don't know. I want to find just the right project, and there are so many that I love. There is a pattern in one of my Interweave Knits that I like, but I'm not sure it will look good on me. Do ya'll think silky yarns are too drapey for a jacket?

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Not for a shrug.

feministmama
04-19-2008, 01:00 AM
:thud: such a good bargin :notworthy:

anniep
04-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Ohhh so pretty! Way to go! love an awesome bargain like that:)

Koehnae
04-19-2008, 08:30 AM
:inlove: Ooo.. stash jealousy! Those colors are beautiful and what a deal! From the pictures, they look like they'd go really well together in a project.

Why does it seem like they discontinue yarns just when you discover them?

nitewyngs
04-19-2008, 07:06 PM
I love the purple!