PDA

View Full Version : You can teach an old dog new tricks

Plantgoddess+
04-17-2008, 10:00 PM
I decided to learn something new today. I've made 14 pr of top down socks this winter and tried patterns in lace and cables ending with the Pomatomus (never again-tedious). I've read about toe up socks from you other knitters and thought, someday.
I cast on my 1st toe up using the magic cast on from Knitty on dpns. All the other tutorials I found seem to want to use 2 circulars and then after a few rounds transfer to dpn. I don't have circulars small enough so I finally found the magic cast on.
It worked though a dog almost died because of barking at a crucial point. I even scared my husband, I yelled SHUT UP so loud. The dog is still in bed traumatized. I personally am happy, I've got about 10 rounds on and it actually looks like a toe.:woot: :woot: :woot:

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 10:28 PM
YAY, Old dog! How hard is this toe-up business? I'm very intimidated by the 2-at-one-time thing but dying to learn it. I don't blame you about the dog. Bet he thinks twice before he barks while you have needles in your hand, huh?

Plantgoddess+
04-17-2008, 10:39 PM
I can see by the tutorials that it would be easier to cast on and get started with circulars. I'm working on size 0 dpns and my smallest circular is size 4. Once I got several rounds on the needles it's very easy.
It seems no matter how many new needles I buy I don't have the size I want for a new project and have to adapt.
I would go for the 2 at once, I agree with Yarn Harlot, it's only yarn. I've frogged more things this winter and started over, but I'm challenging myself and learning new techniques and having a blast.

Cynamar
04-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I fI have to frog ONE MORE SOCK I will pull my hair out! I would like to finish one before I frog another at least.

Plantgoddess+
04-17-2008, 10:50 PM
:hug: :hug: You have my sympathy. It's hard to see all that time and effort disappear so easily.

Jan in CA
04-19-2008, 07:17 PM
:teehee: Good for you! I did that for my Silly Socks and it was fun!

Plantgoddess+
04-19-2008, 10:18 PM
This pattern also had me learn to W&T. Thanks Silver and Amy!

tokmom
04-23-2008, 01:47 AM
:roflhard: The poor dog.

Congrats on the sock though. That's awesome!:thumbsup:

Debkcs
04-23-2008, 04:02 AM
Congratulations! You'll not regret using Judy's Magic Cast On. It's easy to learn, quick, and makes the most comfortable toe around.

I love toe up socks because they're really good for over-sized novelty feet like mine.

Plantgoddess+
04-23-2008, 10:35 AM
He hid in the bedroom for a while, but he didn't bark at wildlife while looking out the window when I cast on the 2nd sock.
I'm not sure my nerves would handle that cast on too many times, though I'm sure it would be easier on larger needles or circulars.
If I try this technique again I will probably use my husbands large articulated magnifying glass in order to see what I'm doing. I have to do that if I drop a stitch.