PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope?

Bug
04-18-2008, 11:45 AM
with your cats?!

I've got 2 cats, one just under a year old and the other is 4 months old. I love them to bits and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world, but I've had to stop knitting and stitching because they seem to become rabid whenever I get my needles out :roflhard:

I don't really want to shut them out of the room, and i've even tried keeping a stash of toys near me so that when they come over i can try to distract them but it rarely works.

What do you do to help?

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Beat them. Just kidding. I have no other ideas. Can you give them yarn to play with?

sinistral_needler
04-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Maybe having a spray bottle in reach would help? Give 'em a good squirt when they start hassling you! :D

Bug
04-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I thought about giving them yarn because it's clearly what they want but i'm also worried it will teach them it's ok to play with my yarn, when it's really not lol.

How do you tell a cat you can play with the blue stuff but not the red haha

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Put it in an airtight container with catnip for a couple of days? Or with tuna.

Bug
04-18-2008, 11:54 AM
lol I've tried the spray bottle too, they grew to enjoy it, so if i were to use it they'd want to keep using it lol which means play time not knit time.

omg i love cats soooo much but jees they can be a pest :-D

BinkyKat
04-18-2008, 12:00 PM
I didn't start knitting until my older cat (almost 10 now) was 6. I think he finds it soothing because he seems almost more likely to hop in my lap when I have anything in my hands. Once in a great while he'll get a little frisky, but putting the working yarn to the side usually does the trick. In many cases I can actually drape it over him and he doesn't care.
However, last summer we acquired a 4 week old homeless kitty from a little dh and his work mates found. He is far more active that my older one was at a young age. I've had to go in the bedroom or shut him out many times. I felt bad, but then it's not forever. He's gotten way better. He actually will become more mischievious in other areas which prompts me to get the lazer pointer out to entertain him until he tires for a bit and I can pick up my knitting again. A time or two he's even crawled in my lap. He's not as cuddly yet, but I think that will come with age. I've found with him, a can of air for your keyboard, puffed at a safe distance of course, is a better deterrent for him.
Mostly, with the younger one, it's just brushing him away or putting him down off of me over an over that will eventually get him trained. It is getting better really so I guess diligence is the key.:thumbsup:
Good luck! Besides, knitting and kitties kind of go hand in paw don't the?:wink:

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Yours are still so young, Bug, and in the must-play-wih-anything-that-moves stage.

ARiley
04-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Yes, they'll grow up and relax. My elderly gentlemen cats are very good about my knitting -- the big one tries to sit in my lap but I boost him up to the back of the chair, where I can use him as a headrest, and the little one snuggles up on the lamp table and leans on my elbow. And then they both fall asleep. (I'm surrounded.)

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 01:42 PM
My dog nudges her head under my hand wanting it rubbed but only when I'm busy with that hand!

feministmama
04-18-2008, 05:58 PM
My dog nudges her head under my hand wanting it rubbed but only when I'm busy with that hand!

My cats do that too! i don't care what people say animals are smart!

Karina
04-18-2008, 06:14 PM
I have four cats 2 are 7 months old and 1 is 8 months and 1 15 year old. the old one cant be bothered any more he sleeps most of the day. the 8 month old is a complete thief and will sneak of with any ball of yarn that is not in lock down. then she will bring it to the two younger ones who will then act like complete lunatics and destroy it. if they get to out of control I lock them all in the bathroom, that is where their litter box and food + water is. They always have to be locked up at night or else we would never get any sleep. They are great fun though (except when they nick my yarn)

Cynamar
04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
After I give in and rub her head she rolls over so my hand is on her belly. Manipulative little thing.

anniep
04-19-2008, 06:33 AM
lol! I think the only time my cat pays me any attention is when I'm knitting! They're cheeky aren't they :)

Knit4Pie
04-19-2008, 07:05 AM
I have 2 cats, a 1 yr old and a 3 month old. The older one was a royal pain when she was younger. She would run off with my yarn, chew up my yarn, grab my needles (if I lay them down for a minute) and pull them out of my knitting. Oh yeah, she was awful. Just constant putting her away, getting her something else to play with finally worked. Although sometimes I did have to flick her ears. Not hard, just enough to get her attention. She will now lay on my lap as I knit and not bother at all with the knitting. (although I sometimes still find pieces of chewed up yarn, just not very often).

The little one is not a problem at all. I lucked out. From time to time he'll attack the working yarn if it's really moving (when I get a good pace going) or the end of the needle as I knit, but in general he leaves me alone. He does seem to really love the point protectors, but only when I take them off the needles and haven't gotten up to put them away. I don't make an issue of it though, since I'm not using them right then!

Koehnae
04-19-2008, 08:26 AM
I have two Siberians. They are notorious for their persistence and it proved quite a challenge when it came to knitting. The water trick didn't work because Siberians LOVE water. A can of pennies worked once and then they got used to the noise, And on and on and on...

I finally actually contacted my vet who put me in touch with an animal behaviorist friend of his. He told me that when momma cat gets annoyed with the kittens, she will nip their ears gently. You'll see this in particular when they are trying to wean the kittens. To simulate this, catch the tip of their ear between your nail tips... not too hard but enough that they feel it. It worked like a dream. Pandora (just turned 1) now stretches out on the back of my chair and Selune (5 months) curls up in my lap when I knit. I knit them each a catnip mouse as a reward for good behavior. :wink:

Crycket
04-19-2008, 11:37 AM

Ha...my dog doesn't chew anything in the house...but one day chewed one of my bamboo needles (ironically enough the one on the sweater I was knitting, not the spare - Didnt even drop a stitch thankfully) And I think it was because she was upset that I spent more time knitting rather than play with or petting her...

Pets are funny things....

I think the catnip would be a wonderful diversion!

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Mine doesn't chew, either, unless she can get my nightguard mouthpiece or certain really disgusting dirty laundry. She has no interest in anything knitting-related.