PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP, NEED SQUARES!!!!

kellycarr05
02-15-2008, 11:40 PM
:grphug: :grphug:
I'm sure most of you are now all aware of the school shooting at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb Illinois. My husband is an alumni and my brother-in-law currently attends there. We thank the Lord he is ok and was not harmed. After the Virginia tech shootings many people got together and made blankets for the victims and families. I would like to do the same for the NIU students, I just need help and to see if anyone else is interested in helping. We would just be knitting squares and putting them together. The colors are black, red, and white. The mascot is a husky. After they are finished they will be sent to the school and given out. Please email me or PM me. I can not do this on my own and would like to start these as soon as possible. You can send the completed squares to the address below.Thanks
Kelly Carr

Please make them with soft yarn...something washable like Encore and make them 8x8 squares.
The deadline for the squares is April 1. The semester ends in May and we would like to get the blankets put together and sent out before then.

newamy
02-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I am so sorry about the shooting at NIU.
One thing that helped the Virginia Tech Project is that a local yarn shop sponsored it so local knitters as well as those around the country who heard of the project and wanted to help participated. They also were able to host a sewing up party and post info on the store blog. Maybe you could approach a LYS for help with this, because it has the potential to be a very big project.

italianchildhood
02-16-2008, 10:09 PM
I added a link to this post on my site, to help spread the word.
It's a nice thing you are doing, I think it will help.
So sorry for all the pain...

kellycarr05
04-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I still need help making 8x8 squares for the NIU families.
All I need is (1) 8x8 square from each person in red, black or white. Just 1....if everyone made 1 square the balnkets would be done before the deadilne..we need 5 blankets.
PLEASE!!!!!!!
If you can send me a message!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Kelly
check out the charity section under blankets for NIU

bambi
04-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Kelly, I'm an NIU alumni and would love to do a square. Can you tell me what yarn or weight you are using and where to send it when I'm done?

Bambi

cheley
04-19-2008, 03:00 PM
I pm'd you regarding granny squares...still waiting for your reply..

Debkcs
04-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Kelly,

I'd be happy to help, but need more information. What size and where do we send it?

heatherg23
04-19-2008, 08:07 PM
It's a great idea....I was born and raised in chicago so i'm more than happy to make them.

Heather

HollyP
04-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75759)is a link to the original thread for more info including Kelly's email which might be a better way to contact her. She wants them 8x8 inches in Red white or black. Please use a washable yarn.

kellycarr05
04-19-2008, 11:05 PM
cloud9 Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:woot: :cheering: :woohoo: :muah:

bambi
04-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Got my yarn today, Kelly. I'll do as many as I can before the deadline. When is the deadline, BTW?

Bambi

kellycarr05
04-20-2008, 10:45 PM
347 more squares to Go!!!

HollyP
04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
When is the deadline, BTW?
Aug 1st

kellycarr05
04-21-2008, 08:19 PM
More Squares !!!