PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell what size your needles are? (and other circ questions)

diannab
04-19-2008, 02:17 PM
I got these from a trade I was in. They are plastic circs with no size on them.

1. How can I find out what size they are? Is there a way to measure the circumference of the 'needle' part?

2. They are in a very 'circular' shape (the 'cable' part is) is that okay? Or does it need straightened before I use it?

Any help would be nice. I don't have a LYS or the funds to buy the nice needles yet. :) LOL Thanks!!!!

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 02:32 PM
You can get a guage thing for jut a couple bucks at the store. It has holes to stick the needles in--like a ring sizer--and tells you the size.

diannab
04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Problem is I don't have an LYS and would love to knit today... :(

Cynamar
04-19-2008, 02:43 PM
I got mine at Hobby Lobby. Wal-Mart probably has one.

mwhite
04-19-2008, 02:54 PM
I've got a needle sizer right here. If you'll lay them on a ruler and tell me how wide they are I might can help you.

Jax3303
04-19-2008, 03:30 PM
do you have a piece of paper and a ruler? If so, poke the needle through the paper and pull it out. the hole in the paper is the size of the needle, measure the diameter of the hole in mm and look here for the US # size: http://www.yarnstandards.com/hooks.html

suzeeq
04-19-2008, 05:51 PM
As for straightening out the cord, dip it in very hot water for a minute, then let it cool while holding straight. It won't get absolutely straight, but will take out the kinks.

Karina
04-19-2008, 06:18 PM
For the future you should go online and buy a needle gauge thing, I happened to get one free with a magazine last year and I can't tell you how handy they are to have. I always get my dpns mixed up (though not my knit picks thanks to the handy holder). I use mine all the time.