PDA

View Full Version : Falling Water Scarf...frustrated!

Ginnyb
04-20-2008, 12:45 PM
Grrrrrrrr...my second attempt at something a little lacy, the first time I was trying to make a hat for my granddaughter and I finally gave up! Thought I would try this scarf and I have started over 4 times now! I don't know what my problem is, but I always manage to screw up and then I can't figure out where I went wrong, so I just take it all out and start over! The last time I had gotten through 2 pattern sequences before I goofed! I will conquer this, but it is really irritating me! I won't give up, I wish I could, but I am determined now. It is like an obsession, I should put it down, but I just can't!!!! I may need professional help!

Ginny

redheadrachel
04-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Aww, I'm sorry you're having such trouble! I notice a lot of times with lace work that I have to start it over several times, but once I've gotten a couple repeats under my belt, it goes a little more smoothly. I think the next time you get two repeats done, put in a life line! I didn't use lifelines on this project and you probably won't end up using a lot of them, but it would be great to prevent yourself from having to start over.

I'm sorry it's so frustrating! It'll get easier as you become more familiar with the pattern repeat.

Jan in CA
04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I am making that one, too. What I do is put a lifeline after each pattern repeat so if I do have to frog back I don't have to frog the entire thing.

I'll try taking a photo later.

Ginnyb
04-20-2008, 01:44 PM
could someone explain how to do a lifeline? Ihave never done one...
Ginny

Tutu Carol
04-20-2008, 01:55 PM
When I do lace, I figure out the repeats, then i put a stitch marker where the "new" repeat starts, that way, if I mess up (excuse, WHEN); I don't have to go so far back to fix.

Best to you,
Carol

Jan in CA
04-20-2008, 02:04 PM
could someone explain how to do a lifeline? Ihave never done one...
Ginny

What I do is take a piece of thin yarn, unwaxed dental floss, embroidery thread, etc and thread it onto a yarn needle. Then go through each stitch on the knitting needle with it. Make sure whatever you use is long enough so it won't pull out when you do the next row. I sometimes tie a loose knot in the two ends, but it's not really necessary most of the time time, just watch the ends. That first row is a little harder to do, but worth it. Once you finish another repeat and you know it's fine then you can pull out the lifeline and move it to the last row again. It is time consuming, but less so than frogging the entire thing. :thumbsup:

Ginnyb
04-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Thank you Jan, I will do that, I am tired of ripping it all out and starting over! I am at work now, so I will have a whole afternoon break from it, maybe I will have better luck this evening
Ginny

redheadrachel
04-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah, it really isn't so bad once you get going. P.S. The dental floss is a really good idea, because I'm working with laceweight right now and my sock yarns are a bit to heavy for the lifeline.

And also, if you're using interchangeable circs, you can thread your lifeline through the little hole you use to tighten the tip to the circ and put the lifeline in as you knit :) It's amazing, but you should really use two lifelines if you do this method, so you still have a lifeline if you screw up while knitting one in.

dustinac
04-20-2008, 02:37 PM
:hug: I'm sorry it's giving you a rough time...but you'll get it! I agree with lifelines after the repeats and stitch markers! :happydance:

bonstance
04-20-2008, 07:04 PM
I finished this scarf last night after being inspired by redheadrachel's FO the other day...

I used four stitch markers to mark the pattern repeats - this is the only way I can do lace, because I always end up forgetting yo's if I don't. :)

Lifelines are also a great idea - I didn't end up using any with this pattern, but once I figured out how to insert one with my last lace project, it saved me from a whole lot of headaches! Good luck!

KnittingCommuter
04-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I agree that lifelines are a must with lace knitting if you want to keep your sanity. I have only made two shawls, but would not have been able to finish either without constant use of lifelines. Another word of advice, don't work on this project when you are tired. I have convinced myself many times to keep going just to finish a row only to make a mistake that has necessitated me ripping back to the lifeline. Give it another try -- I am sure you will succeed.

Ginnyb
04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
thank you, I am doing much better with it now! Yes, I know not to work on it when I am tired, I did the same as you, kept going and made mistakes, now I know when to quit! It is coming along nicely now...
Ginny

ArtLady1981
04-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Yup...lifeline lifeline lifeline! Knitting lace without one is like walking the high wire without a safety net!

If you use a lifeline, guaranteed you won't fall! :teehee:

Puddinpop
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
I just noticed your quote and the 'I knit for Jesus". I love it!!!

suzeeq
04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Yup...lifeline lifeline lifeline! Knitting lace without one is like walking the high wire without a safety net!

I like to live dangerously.... :teehee:

I don't use them, but I don't do complicated st patterns and can usually figure out that something's wrong on the same row I goofed, or the one after. After I've done a couple repeats vertically, I just `know' when it's off. For others who don't have this magical ablilty ;) a lifeline is a great idea.

DudeWithSticks
04-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Oh, that's a great scarf. I am about 3/4 done the waterfall scarf and will be getting back to it once I finish my Hemlock Ring. It's a great pattern and fun to do. Lifelines are great and I did do it on the Hemlock Ring. I had 664 stitches and would hate to make a mistake. So, lifelines and stitch markers saved my life.
I don't usually use lifelines or stitch markers on scarves since the pattern repeat is not that long. But great advice otherwise.
Glad you are doing better and we've all been there before!
Cheers