PDA

View Full Version : More Forced Knitting Time

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 01:12 PM
I am bobtailing (running without a trailer) from WI to ID. Bobtails don't get very good traction on slick roads and Winter conditions, but hey this is April so no worries right?

Yeah. I'm in MT now and ran smack into a snowstorm. I was forced to get off the road and check into a hotel to wait out the storm.

More knitting time is the upside. About the only one really.

Jan in CA
04-20-2008, 01:19 PM
I've never heard of that before..bobtailing I mean. Does this mean you pick up a trailer and drive that somewhere instead of your own?

Extra knitting time is a good thing. ;) :thumbsup:

ecb
04-20-2008, 01:23 PM
I have had one kid having a sleep over or the other since Friday. so I tend to hang out in my room and listen for problems (I have insanely good hearing when I knit), I am mostly done with the flared cuffs of my Elfen sweater (I have frogged and Dbl TINKed the cuffs a couple times) now I am just doing a widening Ribbed flair.

needless to say, with kids playing in the house, and the yard, I tend to sit and knit and keep an eye or ear out for them, this makes for LOTS of knitting time

ecb

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 01:25 PM
I've never heard of that before..bobtailing I mean. Does this mean you pick up a trailer and drive that somewhere instead of your own?

Extra knitting time is a good thing. ;) :thumbsup:

Bobtailing just means running without any trailer. I'm on my out to pick up one of our trailers that was left on a job site for a customer and take it back to our yard.

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 01:26 PM
I have had one kid having a sleep over or the other since Friday. so I tend to hang out in my room and listen for problems (I have insanely good hearing when I knit), I am mostly done with the flared cuffs of my Elfen sweater (I have frogged and Dbl TINKed the cuffs a couple times) now I am just doing a widening Ribbed flair.

needless to say, with kids playing in the house, and the yard, I tend to sit and knit and keep an eye or ear out for them, this makes for LOTS of knitting time

ecb

I bet it does.

fibrenut
04-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Awwww man, mason, don't say that hun!!!! I'm gonna go n pick up my bike on Tuesday. Was hopin the weather would be good. But now, dangnabit, sheesh, if Montana is gettin hit, where I'm at isn't too far behind!!!! ARRGGGHHHHHH

Plantgoddess+
04-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Further west into north Idaho and Eastern Wa. they're calling for snow and cold for several more days with up to 4".
You should make good progress on your vest anyway.
Hope you get on the road soon.

Ginnyb
04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Aw Mason, sorry to hear this, but more knitting time is good right? Darn snow anyway!!!
Ginny

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Further west into north Idaho and Eastern Wa. they're calling for snow and cold for several more days with up to 4".
You should make good progress on your vest anyway.
Hope you get on the road soon.

Yeah I'm hoping to slip through tomorrow between them. Once I get hooked to a trailer I'll be in good shape.

sabrinasmom
04-20-2008, 04:46 PM
At least you can use the snow as a reason to knit. Maybe if you could send some of it down here I could stay at home for a few days and knit. I doubt we have had 2" and no days with icy roads. So no days of being stuck in the house and now it is warm so you don't want to stay in the house.

suzeeq
04-20-2008, 05:11 PM
But now, dangnabit, sheesh, if Montana is gettin hit, where I'm at isn't too far behind!!!!

I don't think that storm is going as far south as CO. We were supposed to get hit with it, but it looks like we're only going to get the fringes of it up here with showers. So you seem to be safe for now....

fibrenut
04-20-2008, 05:46 PM
whew!!!!!:thumbsup: Ty suz!!!:) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Plantgoddess+
04-20-2008, 07:13 PM
It's snowing here now and the ground is getting white. We've got 4 waves of snow expected throughout the week before it warms up to spring.

Knitting_Guy
04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
It's snowing here now and the ground is getting white. We've got 4 waves of snow expected throughout the week before it warms up to spring.

Ugh. I hope I'll be able to get on down into ID tomorrow before the roads go bad here again.

sinistral_needler
04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Mason, maybe you shouldn't have left Wisconsin. We are going to have 70's and lots of sunshine this next week! :mrgreen:

newamy
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
It is strange weather. Here is how it looked in the Willamette Valley in Oregon this AM. Where I live snow is something of a rarity anyway; an every other year event. This past winter we had some intermittent snow falls that stuck for a day or two. A cold wet spring. Rain, snow, and hail over Spring Break. Then finally it began to warm up. Last weekend it was 75 and nice for the kids to play out. Now one week later we have this. The snow in this pic has melted but we had numerous hail storms both today and yesterday. We had snow yesterday AM as well.

suzeeq
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Heh. We had 70 Monday and Tuesday last week, it snowed Wednesday and was up to 70 again yesterday. Rain/snow showers tonight, then it's going to be 55-60 for a while.

campbellmom549
04-21-2008, 12:12 AM
I'd just like to let all of you snowbunnies that it was nice and warm here today. It's in the low 80s with a cool breeze and slated to stay there all week. :woot:

Mason, So sorry you're stuck in bad weather. I hope it lets up enough for you to get away tomorrow!

Debkcs
04-21-2008, 12:19 AM
Mason, don't think that most folks know that bobtailing is more dangerous than ever pulling a trailer is. I used to love it though, all that power, just for me. . .

Amy, just where do you live in the valley? Here in Salem, it didn't even stick.

newamy
04-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Amy, just where do you live in the valley? Here in Salem, it didn't even stick.

Corvallis.

It's been a cold weird spring. We had snow Spring break too but it didn't stick like this. Corvallis often has less snow than other areas, it's sheltered a bit here I guess. We've had tons of hail too. Really weird.

Plantgoddess+
04-21-2008, 09:35 AM
We were also in the upper 70's last weekend as well. Next week we're supposed to get back into the 60's again. It's been a normal schizophrenic season for us.

suzeeq
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Corvallis.

It's been a cold weird spring. We had snow Spring break too but it didn't stick like this. Corvallis often has less snow than other areas, it's sheltered a bit here I guess. We've had tons of hail too. Really weird.

I talked to my brother last night on the other side of the mtns in Madras. Says they've hardly had any precipitation since the beginning of the year, but it's been really cold.

Debkcs
04-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Amy, with the weather changing every ten minutes on Saturday, from hail to sunshine to snow, it was hard to keep track of whether to have my coat on or off, and if the car heater should be on or the windows open. Today, it's just wind and rain here in our part of the Willamette.

Knitting_Guy
04-21-2008, 07:02 PM
The weather was still crappy this morning but the wind had died down enough for me to make it through.