PDA

View Full Version : When Knitting becomes dangerous

jdee
04-21-2008, 04:50 PM
This is so funny because I'd have never thought I could actually hurt myself while knitting. I was knitting on some socks, and you know how small the needles are, and those tiny stitches, that we do NOT want to drop. Well, I tend to hold onto sock needles rather tightly. Anyway, I was working on some socks, and I put my knitting to the side for a little rest. When I stretched out my hands, I noticed red marks on my palm, where my fingernails had dug into my hands. Wow! I had to cut my fingernails back, so sock knitting could be safe.
I noticed the other day a thread were someone had a bad sunburn from knitting outside, and I also think I remember a thread about someone who actually sat down on a knitting needle. So I guess knitting injuries must be pretty common.:teehee:

Cynamar
04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
There's gotta be some good stories here!

iza
04-21-2008, 06:03 PM
I noticed red marks on my palm, where my fingernails had dug into my hands. Wow! I had to cut my fingernails back, so sock knitting could be safe.

Yes, it happens to me too! I can not have long fingernails for that reason. :doh:

I almost sat on my needles once. :doh: That teaches you to put your needles away when you don't use them! :teehee: And I almost killed my boyfriend when for some reason one of my needles flew in his direction. :shock: I have no idea to this day how that happened. I guess I practice an extreme variant of knitting. Or maybe I'm just very clumsy. :shifty:

Mulderknitter
04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
I have actually become quite good at managing those teeny dpn's, but DH is still afraid of them, especially when sitting next to me watching tv and he wants to change the channell. I tell him I have small very pointy sticks and still can't quite manage them. He backs off :roflhard:

evona
04-21-2008, 07:00 PM
. . . And I almost killed my boyfriend when for some reason one of my needles flew in his direction. :shock: I have no idea to this day how that happened. I guess I practice an extreme variant of knitting. Or maybe I'm just very clumsy. :shifty:

:roflhard:

jess_hawk
04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
I have sat one two of my needles. The little one put a scratch on my bum but the big one put a hole in my pants and BRUISED my bum. I tend to throw myself onto chairs/couches rather than sitting down nicely - my mom always said I would hurt myself one day.
I've also rubbed the skin off my fingers knitting too tight and using the tips of my fingers to help move yarn from needle to needle.

Cynamar
04-22-2008, 02:14 AM
I feel like such a beginner! I have a calous on my left pointer finger from pushing sharp needles but haven't had any danger!

gingerbread
04-22-2008, 06:58 AM
I have sat on the dpn's and I tell ya that hurts. I bent the darn needle. It was the options metal one. I was not a happy camper. I did get to straighten it out though. I have put the cable needle into my finger now that was sore for a while. Had to make sure that I didn't get any blood on what I was working on. :roflhard:

Other than that I do pretty well my dh won't let me use the dpn's in the car. He thinks I will hurt him instead of me.:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

:waving:

knitgal
04-22-2008, 08:11 AM
I have done the whole fingernails into my palm thing, otherwise I haven't hurt anyone. The DBF's mom is always so concerned when I am knitting with DPNs though, especially when the DBF leans over to give me a kiss- she thinks I'm going to poke his eye out!

McKnitty
04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
There was a thread a while back about how you can wear off your fingerprints from knitting. I didn't know that was possible! I don't guess that is 'dangerous', but it is interesting.

jdee
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
:roflhard: These are some funny stories. I've never hurt DH with DPN's, but I have caught myself leaning over my work to see those stitches, and I could've poked out my own eye.

BTW, I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one who has dug my fingernails into my palm.

saracidaltendencies
04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
My first sock could have been dangerous, if I didn't wear glasses...lol...At one point, the needle poked into my glasses...If it weren't for them, the needle would have hit my eye...lol

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 10:34 AM
You can wear off your fingerprints knitting? This could be very useful.

SandraS
04-23-2008, 12:12 PM
I actually posted about this nail in the palm problem on another board and got blank stares. I solved the problem by cutting a tiny square of moleskin and sticking it on the spot where my nail cuts in! It's not in the way at all. I don't even notice it and it sure saves my palm!

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I had danger sewing once in middle school when the needle broke off and bounced off of my eyeball.

jdee
04-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Yikes! That IS scary.

justsmi
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I tend to throw myself onto chairs/couches rather than sitting down nicely - my mom always said I would hurt myself one day.

i'm not a "graceful sitter" either. i threw myselfinto the car one day (passenger side) and my bag was on the floor w/ a tapestry needle in it, the needle went into my leg about half an inch. DH had to pull it out.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I had danger sewing once in middle school when the needle broke off and bounced off of my eyeball.

You reminded me of why i DON'T use a sewing machine... i keep breaking needles and having them fly off everywhere (even ones my seamstress friend puts on for me on her machine... then the machine works perfectly for her!)

The running joke is that if I end up with a sewing machine, everyone in the same house needs to wear full body armor :)

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 07:59 PM
That was 7th grade in 4-H and I still blink while I sew!

jdee
04-24-2008, 10:19 PM
Or you could get some of those goggles they wear on the home improvement shows.:roflhard:

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
:roflhard: That would work!

G J
04-25-2008, 11:33 PM
Y'all are too funny!:roflhard:
My biggest danger is repetitive motion strain (carpal tunnel) and arthritis from overusing my thumbs and index fingers.

selinechan
04-26-2008, 06:12 AM
This thread is hilarious! And here I thought I was being dramatic by threatening to poke my bf with the needles. Who knew that they're really that lethal? LOL

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Be careful. You could put an eye out.

Denise in Michigan
04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I've got a bad habit of using my lips or front teeth as a third hand--to temporarily hold a stitch marker, crochet hook, knitting needle, embroidery needle, etc. I'm usually careful to put the pointy things with the points to the sides to avoid accidents.
One night at about 2 a.m. while a bit tired, I popped a metal US size 1 dpn into my mouth for a moment, then accidentally bumped the other end of it. I got a long scratch on the roof of my mouth and a small, bleeding hole in the back of my throat. No major damage done, but I had a serious sore throat for about a week! ;)

jdee
04-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Oh my goodness! That sounds painful. I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt.