PDA

View Full Version : How would you tackle this? Lots of ends...

DroolOverWool
04-22-2008, 06:30 AM
Hi all

This blanket (see small section of it below) has been a mammoth project which I've worked on for nearly a year and want to finish ASAP... but I hate working in ends and there's just so many of them! 44 colours, used every colour 3 times, two ends of yarn for every stripe... you do the maths. Lots and lots of ends! :hair:

I was thinking of cutting them all to the same length (about 2 inches) and leaving them like a fringe... do you think that would look OK? I've also thought about plaiting them (i.e. make 3 ends into a little plait), but I think some of the ends aren't long enough to get a decent-looking plait. Plus it would still be a lot of fiddly work. Wish I'd thought of it all before I started... :think:

Any other ideas how to make it look neat without having to work in all the ends?

Inis
04-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Fringing is a great idea. You could braid them or you could make a tassel type of fringe with them.

Edit to add: I try to crochet over ends -- sort of weaving in as I go. It prevents the ugh at the end ;)

sue in canada
04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
I made a similar small throw blanket years ago and I left the trimmed ends as a fringe.

feministmama
04-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I'm with tassels. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Yarnlady
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd leave them as a fringe or braid....if you weave all those ends in on one side, that side would end up being very bulky.

mathwizard
04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Fringe or tassel both would be nice. You do do excellent work.
I find that when I am working with color changes I try to hid the end under my crochet as I go along. That way there are not too many ends to hide because I have crocheted over them.

eladine
04-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Hmm... not sure how to explain this, but how about plaiting, or braiding the edges down the side of the blanket?

Don't know if you have heard, or know of a french braid in long hair - but that's what jumped to mind as soon as i saw all the ends!

Have a look here (http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://bp0.blogger.com/_Pd5YeDbbPgQ/RpSzpvNsKTI/AAAAAAAAAb4/2RoCsxm_eYc/s320/french%2Bbraid%2Bfor%2Blong%2Bhair%2B3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://hair-long.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-french-braid-hair-description.html&h=300&w=264&sz=13&hl=en&start=9&sig2=VgKlWeRmhT7bERQ5jBaexA&tbnid=xMKoTtB3KJKVaM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=102&ei=bAkPSN6TNpXIwgHMzPXSCQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfrench%2Bbraid%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26 client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DG) for a how to - see if it's any help.

salos
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
I would add more fringe so it would look thicker. Make the strands twice as long as you need (actually a little more than this), fold in half, and use a crochet hook to loop it through and then through the fold.

DroolOverWool
04-30-2008, 07:16 AM
Thank you all so much for your help and your kind comments! :hug:

I'm not 100% sure yet but I'll probably go with the fringe. It's my mum's birthday next week and she lives a long way away, so I'd better get it mailed soon. :)

Thanks again.

aprildavis99
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm with Salos....add more to bulk up the fringe and make it look like you did it on purpose.:teehee:

Very beautiful by the way.

catlvr
05-03-2008, 06:45 PM
:aww: I think it would look just fine. I have a hard and fast rule, as soon as I finish 2 rows with a new color, I weave in the ends. Saves a lot of heartache and work. Your blanket is just beautiful!

DroolOverWool
05-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Thanks guys. I just mailed it to Switzerland (where my parents live) and spent a not-so-small fortune on postage. :oops:

I did end up braiding the ends after all. 84 braids, oh the fun! :eyes:

If I ever make something like this again, I'll be sure to work in the ends as I go along.