PDA

View Full Version : Anybody "Sew"

cheley
04-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Everyone....I would like to take all my "vintage" scrap material and make "Raggedy Ann" dolls:happydance: Bought a "pattern", opened it and then:roflhard: I do not have a clue where to begin....I have NEVER EVEN looked at a "sewing" pattern before...My dear muse left before we got to that (sewing) I can do patchwork and pattern quilting...Where do you start?? Any clues out there??? Any good sites??? Thanks all

mwhite
04-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Use the instruction sheet in your pattern! They are usually written in plain enough terms for any beginner. All of them will take you step by step!

Look for the pattern layout section first, find the numbered/alphabetized pattern pieces and follow the guidelines for grain and selvages. The arrows on the pattern pieces show grain direction.

cheley
04-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Use the instruction sheet in your pattern! They are usually written in plain enough terms for any beginner. All of them will take you step by step!

Look for the pattern layout section first, find the numbered/alphabetized pattern pieces and follow the guidelines for grain and selvages. The arrows on the pattern pieces show grain direction. Thanks....but it's all "Greek" to me:aww: sooo, I need to follow "step by step" What about patterns??? Do I "cut em out" then trace around the fabric? Duh.....

Sharly
04-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Hi Cheley - you can sew!! Especially if you do any kind of quilting! Cut the pattern apart, (don't worry about being too precise), then pin the pattern to the fabric and cut on the lines. From there, the instructions should have all the information you need.

A doll pattern may actuall be a little ambitious for a first project. Why don't you look for a simple purse pattern, or something else you would be interested in trying to practice on, just to get yourself familiar with the process? I wish you were close by. I would love the opportunity to teach someone to sew!!

Stick with it, though, I'm sure you will get the hang of it!!

Ellieblue
04-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Is your pattern printed on heavy paper or tissue paper. If it is on regular paper I would get some tracing material (Joannes or any craft store),* copy the pattern and then use it. If on tissue paper, cut the pieces apart but leave some blank paper around each piece. then cut off the excess when you cut out the fabric. Good luck:sun:* lay the tracing cloth over the pattern-it will show thru

cheley
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Hi Cheley - you can sew!! Especially if you do any kind of quilting! Cut the pattern apart, (don't worry about being too precise), then pin the pattern to the fabric and cut on the lines. From there, the instructions should have all the information you need.

A doll pattern may actuall be a little ambitious for a first project. Why don't you look for a simple purse pattern, or something else you would be interested in trying to practice on, just to get yourself familiar with the process? I wish you were close by. I would love the opportunity to teach someone to sew!!

Stick with it, though, I'm sure you will get the hang of it!! Well, I have done some pillows, skirts (from jeans) purses...things (easy things) like that...I have never used a "pattern"...just kinda cut-n-sew...that's why a paper pattern and "instructions" look overwhelming too me:chair: seems really complicated...the step by step thing:biting:

mwhite
04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks....but it's all "Greek" to me:aww: sooo, I need to follow "step by step" What about patterns??? Do I "cut em out" then trace around the fabric? Duh.....

I always trim my patterns, placing them on the fabric per the layout. Then I measure in from the edges to the top of the arrow, pin it, then bottom of the arrow, pin it, smooth it to the outer edges of the pattern and pin inside the heavy line. You may have pattern pieces with a curved arrow and those should be placed on the fold of the fabric. Once you've got everything laid out and pinned, then you can cut it all out. Leave the pattern papers on the fabric until you're ready to use them or you might mix them up. The instructions will help you from step to step in the construction.

mare-nitt
04-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Cheley, I am sure it is the size of the patterns pieces that has you in a spin, smaller than you are use to.
Just take it one step at a time and it will work out. Think of how cute the finished item will be. Vintage fabic is wonderful no matter how you use it. (be still my heart)
Good luck.

cheley
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I always trim my patterns, placing them on the fabric per the layout. Then I measure in from the edges to the top of the arrow, pin it, then bottom of the arrow, pin it, smooth it to the outer edges of the pattern and pin inside the heavy line. You may have pattern pieces with a curved arrow and those should be placed on the fold of the fabric. Once you've got everything laid out and pinned, then you can cut it all out. Leave the pattern papers on the fabric until you're ready to use them or you might mix them up. The instructions will help you from step to step in the construction.Wow, that's great info:inlove: The part about the "fold" of the fabric,I have seen that stated on the intructions...."Fold" :?? that kinda throws me, why would your fabric be "folded"? So as not to "waste any" ( a term I am very familiar with:teehee: )Or is that how to get "2 pieces"...see told ya I know zip!!!!!!!!!

cheley
04-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Cheley, I am sure it is the size of the patterns pieces that has you in a spin, smaller than you are use to.
Just take it one step at a time and it will work out. Think of how cute the finished item will be. Vintage fabic is wonderful no matter how you use it. (be still my heart)
Good luck. Thanks :hug:

mwhite
04-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Wow, that's great info:inlove: The part about the "fold" of the fabric,I have seen that stated on the intructions...."Fold" :?? that kinda throws me, why would your fabric be "folded"? So as not to "waste any" ( a term I am very familiar with:teehee: )Or is that how to get "2 pieces"...see told ya I know zip!!!!!!!!!

I'm like Sharly, love teaching others to sew.

Most fabrics come on a bolt and are folded. Your pattern will tell you how much fabric you'll need of 44-45" for example. The layout should show the fold and the selvage edges. And you're right, this is how you get two pieces of the pattern. Some pattern pieces may tell you that you need more or even just one thickness. At any rate, by now, you should be checking all this and I'm sure it's on your pattern. Be patient with yourself... this is truly fun! And give yourself a pat on the back, too..... there are alot of people who never realize the fantastic joy of sewing! It's an awesome journey and you will feel so good when you "Get it"!

Ellieblue
04-22-2008, 07:26 PM
your fabric is folded so that both sides of the piece are identical. Think of a tank top both sides of the front are identical, like a mirror image.

vaknitter
04-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I have been sewing since junior high (yup, Utah still makes girls take home ec and boys take shop) and I endeavored to make a pair of pouty dolls a few years ago and don't see doing it again anytime soon. While the payoff is wonderful and the dolls amazing...they are a lot of work. I sent one to an auction to benefit the SPCA and one to my mother. The most important thing is to take your time and read ALL the instructions before you start.

Sharly
04-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Mary, you do a great job explaining!! I would do much better in person!!

Shandeh
05-07-2008, 02:45 AM
There are some videos on YouTube that show how to place pattern pieces and cut them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVABcdtzJBw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oktqXPo1wNk

Puddinpop
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Look on the pattern pieces. It should say on one side of one or a couple of them Place on Fold. If you can visualize the pattern as a mirror image, you will see it makes sense to place on the fold. Of course you won't be cutting on the fold line. On a dress, they have the bodice placed on the fold. It's easier to cut the material doubled instead of a big pattern piece. Understand? The instructions should say how wide the material
needs to be or if it is 45" wide or 60" wide. It should have a picture of the lay out for both. Pick which one fits your material.
If you are using scraps, find the scraps that are big enough for that pattern piece and make sure the grainline of the pattern is placed to hit the grainline of the material. You know, which way the grain runs in the fabric or material. It usually runs parrallel to the selvage edges. Pin the pattern pieces on the fabric after you have cut around the pieces, next to the cut line but not on the cut line. Hope this helps.