PDA

View Full Version : Extra Stitch Keeps Popping Up

dsmith
04-22-2008, 01:05 PM
So I cast on 120 stitches, counted twice, had my husband count them, too. i was knitting along happily, stopped to count and I had 121! Ok. I took other yarn and needles, did a small swatch, cast on five stitches, then went to knit "five" stitches, bam, I have six. I cast on again without a slip stitch, five stitches, and I can only maintain five if I double up on the first cast on stitch (which puts two loops on the needle).

What am I doing wrong? Seems to me if I cast and count on 120 stitches, I shouldn't suddenly find 121!

Any advice would be great!

suzeeq
04-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Did you count the slip knot to start the CO as a stitch? It should be slip knot, CO 4 sts = 5.

Jan in CA
04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Also, which cast on method are you using? If you are using the long tail cast on it does put two loops on the needle on the first one, but you count each one separately.

campbellmom549
04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Checking your co count is a good idea. You may also be getting an extra stitch after you cast on when you turn to start knitting your first row. Make sure that you don't create a yo as you get the yarn ready to knit the first stitch.

dsmith
04-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I am wondering if when turning I am creating another stitch. that might be it! I have done two types of COs, with slipknot and without -- I did count the CO after, and know the slipknot counts, so I think that must be when I start...somewhere I add another stitch.

khaosx5
04-22-2008, 04:29 PM
My daughter does that - gets extra stitches - seems to me that she was taking the yarn over the needle, pulling up the stitch from below. Try making sure that the yarn is closer to you when you turn your needle, not pulled away and over the needle.

Hope that this makes sense!
:knitting:

Plantgoddess+
04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
When you turn your work the last stitch from the previous row (now the 1st stitch of next row) tends to be looser. If you don't pull your work down and orient the stitches on the needle the 1st stitch will be twisted on the needle and you will have two loops showing (which are from the previous row) instead of the single loop.
Even after all the years I have been knitting when I started my 1st shawl this spring I found that I had accidently done that very thing and my pattern was off. I caught it only 1 row in and was able to tink back and correct it, but was surprised to find I had made that mistake.

dsmith
04-22-2008, 08:26 PM
good to know I am not the only one doing this LOL Thank you all for the info!!

suzeeq
04-22-2008, 10:36 PM
Yeah, see the thread `Mysterious extra stitches' http://knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32886