PDA

View Full Version : I just don't think I can do it anymore *BarkBusters is coming!!!*

JessicaR
04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Ok, we are going on a year of having our "special" dog John. I got him from the HS. He was an owner turn in who had him since a puppy. They were frustrated that he wasn't house trained. Well, the HS neutered him and I've taken him to classes, tried different training methods, ect. Nope, he still goes in the house. I'm ripping up the carpet in the living room today because I've done everything I can to clean it and I'm sick of the house smelling like dog piss.

He is just a little brat all around. The vet put him on dog ADD meds, but they don't help. I don't even think a horse tranquilizer would calm him down. I'm just tired, of everything. I'm about to give up and it hurts. :cry:

figaro
04-22-2008, 07:52 PM
I am so sorry that you are going through this. Does the HS you adopted him from know what all you have been doing and how the dog is still peeing in the house? The only thing I can think of is a crate if you have not tried that already. But that would only work when you are gone, if he still pees while you are there....? Is there anyway he can be outside during the day and in a crate at night? I am just throwing stuff out there, not sure if it helps (I hope it does) though. It sucks to think you were doing the right thing in adopting a dog from the HS only to have to go through all of this.

Here is a cyber hug for you :hug:for trying so hard for this guy!

vaknitter
04-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Is there anychance you can afford to bring a trainer into the home to help you? We had a hard time house trainer our new addition and had to crate her (even while we were home) and take her out to pee and play outside and then come in. We also tried leashing her to one of us so as soon as she started to squat in the house out we went and woohoo we went crazy with the treats when she went outside. The 2 of us definitely had to be consistent and found that she craves mental stimulation - so we keep her in obedience classes even though we no longer need them. Later this spring we will start her in agility classes - mental and physical stimulation !!
I would talk to the HS where you adopted the pup and see if they can offer any help. Then maybe advertise for someone on a farm to take him.
Best of Luck - I know how animals become part of the family.

JessicaR
04-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the encouragment. Maybe I just need to step it up if I really want to make it work. I should call the HS and see what they say. He's just such a lover and a cuddler and so stupid sometimes that you can't help but laugh. But it's also like having a two year old on crack getting into stuff every second. Why can't he just be lazy like the other two?

Cynamar
04-22-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't blame you at all for being frustrated and tired of it. I have given away more than one pet because I couldn't housebreak them. It does hurt because you get attached to them but if you have to give them up you shouldn't feel guilty. This is causing the animal as much stress as it is you.

bailsmom
04-22-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry you are having to deal with such a frustrating issue. But just remember, each dog is different. Which I'm sure you know, but I just wanted to remind you since you are frustrated. :hug:

Kudos to you for sticking it out this long, there aren't many people out there that would do what you are doing. You are giving him a chance at a great life, whereas if he were sent somewhere else he may get abused for not learning it fast enough.

Puppies are puppies until at least 2 years of age, some dogs are puppies a while longer too, I think you got that one! You are a great 'Mom' for doing this, please don't give up. You've made it this far, he needs you and is depending on you. YOU CAN DO IT!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Have you talked with your vet? Do they have any suggestions? Do you take him on walks daily to get that excess energy out? Yes, do call the HS and ask for their help. They want you to do that so they can help you keep the dog with you. Is he pooping or peeing or both? If it's just peeing, then maybe reduce his water intake. Obviously don't deprive him, but just cut back a bit.

I know you are at your wits end, but just try and stick it out. As for sticking him outside, remember that dogs are pack oriented, they want to be with people, not stuck outdoors all alone. I tend to preach when it comes to dogs and cats, so please forgive me, I just love them so much and hate to see any animal (or owner) having a hard time.

Remember, you are an awesome person for getting this far! Don't give up!! :thumbsup:

JessicaR
04-23-2008, 02:06 AM
As I'm typing this he's wrestling with the new dog and tearing thru the house. He should be going on 3 soon but acts like a puppy. I really think he's a few milkbones short of the box :roll: I should walk him more and in nice weather I try and get them out. They are never just stuck outside, I'm always with them. Which is maybe why they aren't out as much. He does both in the house and sometimes you'll have him out to go potty, he doesn't do anything then runs back in the house and goes! The little sh*t!!! He's so lucky he's cute and I'm a sucker.

eladine
04-23-2008, 05:41 AM
There's nothing like word of mouth for recommendations.

My sister had problems with her two dogs, and I heard of a company (through someone I worked with) called Barkbusters.

Now, as we're in the uk, it was the uk "version" we used.

Their website is Barkbusters (http://www.barkbusters.com)
The front page does seem to be geared for the Aussie's, however if you click on fetch a trainer.. there are some in Iowa (http://www.barkbusters.com/page.cfm/ID/50).

They are not the cheapest out there, but all I can say is from my sister's experience, it works. As long as you keep up with the training - it works.

Hope this helps.

El.

Silver
04-23-2008, 07:01 AM
I should walk him more and in nice weather I try and get them out.
I think that's a main problem with him right there. He sounds like a bundle of energy and he really needs to get that energy out somehow. If he can't do it on a walk, then he's going to do it somewhere. And if he's pent up with energy, he can't pay attention long enough to learn anything new.

Do you have a treadmill? You can train a dog to use a treadmill if you can't take him out yourself. :thumbsup:

msoebel
04-23-2008, 09:45 AM
What breed(s) of dog? Some breeds are naturally more hyperactive.

Which is why we WON'T be getting the Jack Russel Terrier my dh thinks he wants. We are a lazy breed of people...that dog would be so miserable!

Rabbitrescuer
04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
He's just such a lover and a cuddler and so stupid sometimes that you can't help but laugh. But it's also like having a two year old on crack getting into stuff every second. Why can't he just be lazy like the other two?

I have one of those too. I call her the world's most annoying dog. She is a boxer mix & in to everything if she isn't either watched like a hawk or crated. The little goober will even eat rocks if I'm not right on top of her. I told her I don't want to deal with another foreign body removal surgery (went through it with my bulldog the day after I took him). Thankfully she doesn't do her business in the house though. Best of luck to you.

knitncook
04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
It sounds like he needs a place where he has a lot of outdoor ability. We had a dog when I was a kid who just needed the room to run. He was a cute little beagle, but way too much energy and we just never could get him house trained. We found a home for him on someone's farm and he was quite happy. Lots of room to run and since he was outside most of the time the accidents stopped.

Do you have a fenced yard that he could be in for most of the day rather than in the house? I'm sorry you are going through this. It's really hard when you have an animal that won't "behave." BTDT should have a t-shirt.

stitchwitch
04-23-2008, 10:59 AM
My opinion will not be a popular one but here goes. I'm a firm believer that if you adopt a pet you should be responsible for that pet until the day they die. Having said that, however, I am also a firm believer in my sanity. Knowing I had done everything in my power to integrate the pet as well as possible into my family and having the pet ruin my home, I would have to find a more suitable owner for the pet. In my opinion (again, not popular) there is no way I would let an animal ruin my quality of life, my belongings or my relationship with other family members just because I felt obligated to hold out and keep trying over and over and over. That does not mean I would desert the pet or return it to the pound. I would however find a suitable owner that could handle it's problems if I could not. In my opinion, not all dogs can be housebroken or trained to be good pets.

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I agree with you, Stitchwitch.

maniago
04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
We have three boxers, two are like they dogs on crack and meth. Everyday we play and walk them until they are happy and tired.

Silver
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm a firm believer that if you adopt a pet you should be responsible for that pet until the day they die.
...or until the day you entrust them to someone you trust with their life. I totally believe that a pet is a commitment, but if you can't keep an animal, you have a responsibility to see that it's taken care of properly.

I am currently reeling over the fact that one of my friends took all 4 of her cats and dropped them off behind a chicken restaurant. Why? Not because they were bad cats, not because they were moving and couldn't take them. Because her husband said she had to get rid of the cats if she wanted a dog!! (And yes, it's done so they're getting a new Yorkie puppie in a few weeks.) They own a big 4 bedroom house and a huge backyard, plenty of room for everyone. There are a lot of stray cats around the restaurant, and at least the 4 were all spayed or neutered, but it still pisses me off sooooo f'ing bad!! :!!!:

JessicaR
04-23-2008, 12:24 PM
I had posted about in ground fences because we are thinking of that, we currently tie them out. Another problem we have is that he barks at people walking by the property. Yesterday a friend came by the house on a horse (how many people can say that?!) and all the dogs went nuts. Today some delivery guys came and they went nuts again. And hanging over my head is the cranky old man across the street that hates dogs, so I am always walking on thin ice and trying to keep the noise level down. I'm sorry, but that doesn't help the situation :wall:

HollyP
04-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Do you have a dog day care nearby? When my lab was a puppy I would take him to ddc 2-3 days a week. He would run and play with other dogs all day and come home exhausted. Our trainer was the one who recommended it. He always says a tired dog is a good dog. On the days he didn't go he would get a nice long walk and a bunch of mini potty breaks outside and be fine.
Is there a dog park you can take him to? Or even a friend's yard that is fenced in. He sounds like a dog who needs a lot more exercise.

JessicaR
04-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, there's a dog park about 35 miles away that I try to bring them to twice a week when it's nice. I wish he wouldn't run off because there's a huge baseball and soccor field next to us. However, John broke away one time and I ended up chasing him across a corn field until the leash got caught up on something. Don't want to be doing that again!

stitchwitch
04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
...or until the day you entrust them to someone you trust with their life. I totally believe that a pet is a commitment, but if you can't keep an animal, you have a responsibility to see that it's taken care of properly.

Yeah, that's basically what the rest of my post that you quoted was trying to say.

Rabbitrescuer
04-23-2008, 01:25 PM

I am currently reeling over the fact that one of my friends took all 4 of her cats and dropped them off behind a chicken restaurant. Why? Not because they were bad cats, not because they were moving and couldn't take them. Because her husband said she had to get rid of the cats if she wanted a dog!! (And yes, it's done so they're getting a new Yorkie puppie in a few weeks.) They own a big 4 bedroom house and a huge backyard, plenty of room for everyone. There are a lot of stray cats around the restaurant, and at least the 4 were all spayed or neutered, but it still pisses me off sooooo f'ing bad!! :!!!:

She did what?!?
What a rotten jerk (doing my best to be pc here) People like her make me want to beat them. But I can't say I'm surprised - two of my rabbits were found in a box in a dumpster when they were babies. My cat came from a home where the owner's fav game was to get drunk & kick the cat. My Sugar Gliders were yanked out of their cage & dropped in the floor for cats to chase at their former home. The list goes on & on. This is why I work with animals b/c there are a large number of people out there who suck!

figaro
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Not sure if this might help but with our dog (75 lb great dane mix), I let him outside but with the back door open and a child gate up. That way he can come inside to his kennel or, like he does most of the time, lay down in the hot sun on the bricks! We do have a large fenced yard and he is able to chase the squirrels and the mice/moles that live under the deck but he is so much happier out there. When he is inside because it is cold out there, he will follow me from room to room, stare at me for absolutely no reason (he has food and water and does not need to go outside) for 20 minutes or longer. It is like he can not relax completely. But when he is outside, he is much more comfortable, like he knows he belongs out there.

Good luck with this, I think we can all understand that what you are going through, hopefully you and your family can figure what is best for everyone soon!

Silver
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Yeah, that's basically what the rest of my post that you quoted was trying to say.
I know, I read it. I was just agreeing with you and making my own point at the same time.

She did what?!?
What a rotten jerk (doing my best to be pc here) People like her make me want to beat them.
I know. I'm so pissed about it, but what can I do? I told her that she should have taken them to an animal shelter or animal control at the very least instead of leaving them to fend for themselves. She said "I tried, none of them would take them", which I believe is total bull. Just so wrong... they were house cats, inside only. They don't know how to fend for themselves. They were all declawed too. It makes me cry thinking about it. :verysad:

Anyway, sorry for thread-jacking, Jessica! I hope you find a solution, and if you need to give up the dog, just make sure he goes somewhere that he'll be taken care of. :hug:

JessicaR
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Anyway, sorry for thread-jacking, Jessica!
Ha! No problem. I was going to go on a rant about the neighbor but figured I'd try and be nice :teehee: I need to run up town to mail a package and go to the bank, I'm going to walk and take John with me. I just get tired of constantly having to entertain him, you know? And when I'm working all day on the house I'm flipping tired. That's why we got the 3rd dog, because he plays with John. Our other one wants nothing to do with him. But it seems lately he's built up a tolerance to the playing and what used to wear him out doesn't anymore. Maybe it's just nice spring weather hyperness?

letah75
04-24-2008, 01:38 PM
I know, I read it. I was just agreeing with you and making my own point at the same time.

I know. I'm so pissed about it, but what can I do? I told her that she should have taken them to an animal shelter or animal control at the very least instead of leaving them to fend for themselves. She said "I tried, none of them would take them", which I believe is total bull. Just so wrong... they were house cats, inside only. They don't know how to fend for themselves. They were all declawed too. It makes me cry thinking about it. :verysad:

Anyway, sorry for thread-jacking, Jessica! I hope you find a solution, and if you need to give up the dog, just make sure he goes somewhere that he'll be taken care of. :hug:

She would not be my friend anymore.

stitchwitch
04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm with you Letah, I'd have to say adios to that one for sure.

Silver
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
She would not be my friend anymore.

I'm with you Letah, I'd have to say adios to that one for sure.

Easier said than done. She's only my friend because she's married to one of my and DH's long time best friends, who may as well be my brother. I was his best man at their wedding, he is also DH's boss, and my mom's boss. Seriously, there's no getting away from her. But I don't have to like or accept what she did.

letah75
04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Easier said than done. She's only my friend because she's married to one of my and DH's long time best friends, who may as well be my brother. I was his best man at their wedding, he is also DH's boss, and my mom's boss. Seriously, there's no getting away from her. But I don't have to like or accept what she did.

Oh believe me I understand. I just think someone with that kind of callous disregard for life/quality of life and who could abandon de-clawed cats like that could do something similar to a person.

Jan in CA
04-24-2008, 04:23 PM
OMG Silver! I am having a hard time accepting that your friend did that to cats that can't defend themselves. :verysad:

Jessica - Does your dog chase a laser? Our dog loves it! We shine the light on the carpet in front of her and she runs to the end of the room and back..repeatedly. :teehee: Its how she gets her exercise a couple times of day.

I know of someone who got this barking silencer and said it works great!
http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/ds_Pro.htm

JessicaR
04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, he'll chase a laser, the other dogs couldn't care less. Prob have to do that the next 4 days, rain and more rain in the forecast. I took him for a long walk today, got home and he went nuts running thru the house and wrestling with the new one. Holy cow I wish I had an ounce of his energy!

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Eat his food.

JessicaR
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Hahaha! At first I was like what?!?! :whoosh:

auburnchick
04-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Jan,

Thanks for that link!

JessicaR
05-08-2008, 06:01 AM
I decided to bring BarkBusters in. I've only heard good things about them and this will be our last ditch effort to get this family under some sort of control! I talked on the phone with her for over an hour and or first session is on Tue the 20th, not a moment too soon!!! :woot:

figaro
05-08-2008, 09:52 AM
YAY! :cheering::woohoo: That is great news! I hope that they are able to help you with John.

JessicaR
05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks! Yeah, John is the main PITA but thinking back Rose, our first dog had issues as well, John just really over shadows them. So, we are training all the dogs. I can't wait to have control back, it will take so much stress off me and my husband.

Silver
05-08-2008, 02:09 PM
That's great! Good luck!! :)

bailsmom
05-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I have no clue what Barkbusters is, but good for you!! I hope this works for your family.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

eladine
05-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks! Yeah, John is the main PITA but thinking back Rose, our first dog had issues as well, John just really over shadows them. So, we are training all the dogs. I can't wait to have control back, it will take so much stress off me and my husband.

Jessica - I'm so glad you called in Barkbusters! And you're dead right, the best way to go is to get them to look at the whole picture - that's not just what other pets are around, but the living/lifestyle/housing/bed places... etc.

Will have fingers crossed for you and hope that you find their methods (whatever ones they use) useful!

Keep us updated please?!

El.

Plantgoddess+
05-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Sounds like a great move. My friend has been having major issues with her Golden Retriever she got as a puppy and the problems had been escalating to the point that the family was becoming afraid of him. He bites if you take things away from him that he's not supposed to have. She couldn't even get him to walk quietly on a leash. She has 5 grandchildren as well. She called in an animal psychologist to evaluate the family and the dog. It was recommended that if she wasn't willing to put in the training time to put the dog down.
She has been working very hard on the training techniques she was given and the dog is making a huge improvement. They start structured lessons next week and I think that the dog and owners will be fine.
I think a lot of problems are caused by the fact that we don't know the proper response to behavior we don't want and don't reward the behaviour we do want.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, he'll chase a laser, the other dogs couldn't care less. Prob have to do that the next 4 days, rain and more rain in the forecast. I took him for a long walk today, got home and he went nuts running thru the house and wrestling with the new one. Holy cow I wish I had an ounce of his energy!

Do NOT let your dog chase a laser!!!! EVER! Chasing lasers or penlights causes obsessive problems in dogs.

You think he is nuts now, chasing a laser will just make it worse. Chasing lasers causes dogs to become obsessive and they will chase any, little thing, shadows for instance, all the time, it is very bad.

Did I see in an earlier post that you tie him out? Tethering a dog is also not good. I really can get into it all now but it can cause aggression and other behavior problems...google "tethering dogs" and there is a lot of info.

If he is healthy, well exercised and you keep up with the training, there is no reason why this dog cannot be housebroken...unless he has a genetic issue.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Sounds like a great move. My friend has been having major issues with her Golden Retriever she got as a puppy and the problems had been escalating to the point that the family was becoming afraid of him. He bites if you take things away from him that he's not supposed to have. She couldn't even get him to walk quietly on a leash. She has 5 grandchildren as well. She called in an animal psychologist to evaluate the family and the dog. It was recommended that if she wasn't willing to put in the training time to put the dog down.
She has been working very hard on the training techniques she was given and the dog is making a huge improvement. They start structured lessons next week and I think that the dog and owners will be fine.
I think a lot of problems are caused by the fact that we don't know the proper response to behavior we don't want and don't reward the behaviour we do want.

Exactly! Dogs are dogs and will always BE dogs. Dogs are opportunists. Dogs will protect their territory and their food. Unless WE do right by our furry friends we have no right to complain or God forbid, put them down.

JessicaR
05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Did I see in an earlier post that you tie him out? Tethering a dog is also not good. I really can get into it all now but it can cause aggression and other behavior problems...google "tethering dogs" and there is a lot of info.

Ummm, k? How else am I supposed to let them spend time outside then?

Luvmyrottnboy
05-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Ummm, k? How else am I supposed to let them spend time outside then?

Either build a real fence or dog run...or walk them yourself.

Believe me I know that walking the dog when it's below zero, or pouring, or 3:00 AM is no picnic! I own my own house so I had a 6 foot privacy fence installed in my yard fo the times I can't take Cyrus for a proper walk.

If you are just hooking them up for a minute or two to do their business (or not in this case!) that's OK, but leaving them tied up for any length of time is not good.

Ivy19
05-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Sometimes it's very difficult to know what is the right thing to do (ie, put him outside on a lead or not). I certainly would not leave him outside for long on one.

I have a "problem" English Bulldog who is 7. We got her as a pup and her breeder and a lot of the books I read said it was best to crate train her. Well, she's one of the only dogs anyone has ever heard of who messed in her own crate! If she sleeps with us, she's been known to pee on the bottom of the bed! So, if I can't watch her all the time during the day and at night, I kennel her in our den, with a dog gate up, so she can see out but can't get out. The den has laminate floors which are easy to clean. She's pretty good during the day, but at night, we probably wake to a mess 3 out of 7 nights. And that's after taking her out the last thing before we go to bed. They say dogs don't make messes as a result of emotions (ie, they're mad/upset etc) but she does. I take her to the groomer, and even though I take her out immediately before she goes, 8 times out of 10 she'll mess in her crate there.

We have just decided to live with it. But it's a pain. And if she pees on the carpet, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get the smell out.

I feel for you. I'm sure you're doing everything you can to make this little guy a worthy member of your family.

Ivy19
05-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Denise: Rotties are great dogs and probably one of the smartest breeds around. Very easy and necessary to train (I had one years ago and had a professional trainer come in right after I got her. She had the dog sitting within 2 minutes). I love them. Other dogs, however, see above, are not all that bright. And some, like my dog, are just plain stubborn. Sigh. Ivy

JessicaR
05-09-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm being attacked here. I try to do the best with what I have. Like I said, I never tie them out and leave them out there, I'm always with them.

I'm spending $745 on this training. Money in which I don't actually have but was given to me by an estate, details in which I don't want to get into.

But, do you think the money would be better spent on just a fence, screw the real problems? As long as they can run free it's all good?

Ivy19
05-09-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm sorry, but I feel like I'm being attacked here.

Jess: I'm SO sorry if my post sounded at all critical. I was trying to be empathetic and let you know that others have problem dogs too! I know you're doing your best and yes, I would still spend the money on the training. I learned a lot from our previous trainer - but have to say that NOTHING seems to work with my bulldog.

JessicaR
05-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Nooooo you aren't who I'm referring to. And I'm sorry that I seem to fly off the handle but I take how I take care of my dogs and other pets very seriously because they are our kids, literally. We opted for the dog version of raising a family.

Ivy19
05-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I understand. We're in a condo so I have no option of letting my dogs outside - just walking them. The only reason I'd be afraid of the lead is that I'd worry about them getting tangled up or not being able to defend themselves adequately if another animal came into the yard. That being said, we were watching Animal Cops Detroit the other night (have you seen these shows on the Animal Planet? Kind of hard to watch sometimes because the animal "cops" go into rescue animals that are REALLY being abused.) Anyway, a very nice couple adopted one of the dogs that had been rescued and they showed them out in the backyard with him. He was on a lead because they had no fence and he was doing just fine.

I also have a friend who lives in Wisconsin (where there are no fences - unheard of here in Calif. but considered "unneighborly" there) and she put in electric (underground) fencing. Works like a charm. She doesn't even have the flags up anymore (they're used during initial training so your dogs will know where the line is). If you forget and throw a toy too far, her dogs will run up to that line and just plain stop (even without the attachment on their collars that would zap them if they cross the line)! May be another alternative for you??

JessicaR
05-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I posted about the fence and we are considering our options. But I want to get the training and communication thing under control first.

vaknitter
05-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Jessica - I hope the training works for you. We found that with our boxer pup she just does better overall when we keep her in doggie school. She needs that one night a week that she just "works" for a couple hours. We run her in the yard, walk (rain or shine), take her swimming, to the dog park....but what tires her out the most is doggie school.
Ivy19- have you talked to your vet about seperation anxiety. There is a lady in our dog school class that has a dog that sleeps on the bed with her and would puke several times during the night and made a mess of her crate or room whenever left alone for more than a couple hours. The vet prescribed a generic prozac and they got their first puke free night in 5 yrs starting 2 wks ago.

Ivy19
05-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Ivy19- have you talked to your vet about seperation anxiety. There is a lady in our dog school class that has a dog that sleeps on the bed with her and would puke several times during the night and made a mess of her crate or room whenever left alone for more than a couple hours. The vet prescribed a generic prozac and they got their first puke free night in 5 yrs starting 2 wks ago.

Yes, I talked to the vet and she gave me the name of a dog psychologist. Haven't been able to bring myself to spend that kind of money, yet, but may have to resort to something. Today when I picked the dogs up from the groomer (where she barks most of the time and tries to get out and go after other dogs), she promptly jumped in the car and peed on the clothes I had just picked up from the dry cleaners! That was a first for her. Think she's trying to tell me something??? Maybe I need the psychologist:roflhard:

Cynamar
05-09-2008, 11:30 PM
My yard is not fenced and I have to tether my dog if she is to be out more than I want to be. She is good about not running off but she will go to anyone who passes (and we lie half a block from school) to be petted. I have to respectfully disagree about tethering. A fence is preferable but sometimes not doable.

Luvmyrottnboy
05-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I apologize if I seemed short but I was pressed for time on Friday and just wanted to get my point across.

First of all, you are absolutely a responsible owner! Bringing in trainers and all your other efforts certainly illustrate that.

I think a lot of us do not understand "dog". I know I didn't! I was a total cat person before I adopted my dog. I learned, and am still learning about dogs. especially my breed, Rottweilers.

Seriously, didn't we all at one time think buying at pet stores was OK?

Before Cyrus I thought "loving a dog" was enough! Scary, huh? And I bet a lot of you did too.

The days of having a dog and letting it roam the neighborhood are long gone and we have to face the fact that dogs are not people, don't have the same emotions as people and they aren't nearly as self sufficient as cats.

More and more is being discovered about our best friends and we need to do the research, is all I'm saying.

JessicaR
05-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry I miss understood what you were saying and that I just "jumped on you"

bailsmom
05-13-2008, 10:02 PM
Hey everyone! Just wanted to add my 2 cents here about the tie out. We have never owned our own home and have had our pup stuck out on a lead since we got her. Adopted of course. We didn't have any other option but to do this and if I had to do it all over again, it would really be the only thing we could do.

BUT!!! We are ALWAYS and I mean always out with her when she's on her lead. We never tie her out and then leave her there for hours on end. That, to me is cruel. She gets 2 walks everyday, but none of our rentals have had a fenced yard so we've had to resort to the lead. It is true that she became a more aggressive dog from it because people would walk down the road and she'd go nuts and now we have a dog who's not exactly friendly to other animals. With people she's fine. Sometimes you don't have a choice, I'm not going to walk her around the yard while we're enjoying the sunshine so she gets to go on her lead and wander around the yard. I just have to make sure I'm paying attention to the road and see if anyone is coming so I can intervene on her 'attack mode'.

When we get our first home a fence will be the first thing we put up. Until then we have to work with what we have. :shrug: All I have to say is thank goodness for Cesar Milan. We have learned so much from him and have learned to rethink how we look at our pets. She is our baby. We have no children and now I'm retraining myself to look at her as a dog and not a child and she is doing so much better.

JessicaR
05-19-2008, 10:35 PM
Tomorrow's the big day!!! I'm so excited, not sure if I can even sleep! :woot:

figaro
05-20-2008, 01:14 PM
So how did it go today?

JessicaR
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Good. A LOT to learn!!! It's going to be a project but hopefully worth it in the end!

Luvmyrottnboy
05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!

GOOD for you! I just wish every dog owner would take responsibility like you are.

JessicaR
05-23-2008, 12:43 PM
OMG the most amazing thing happened last night!!! Our trainer determined that Rose, our first dog, was the leader of the pack. I would have never guessed it but watching her actions it's true.

Anywho, ever since we got her, about 4 years now, she's been very afraid of storms. The vet gave us pills to sedate her, long story there as well. But, last night a storm popped up, and she didn't even flinch!!! OMG!!! It was like the twilight zone, 4 years of the same thing, then nothing. Even one of the claps of thunder startled me, but Rose was as cool as a cucumber. :shock:

Puddinpop
05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
My little dog is eleven and she always would pee in the living room. We weren't home to train her during the day. She would do like you said, be outside and wait till she got inside to go. She has lost her hearing and she has arthritis bad in her legs. She walks on her second joint on the front legs, not on her feet anymore. It's so pitiful. She has been the best dog otherwise. She is so sweet and is very smart and entertaining. We put her in a homemade crate during the day. It's not bad on her because she sleeps all the time anyway. She won't go in her crate. She waits till we let her outside. It would probably be rough on a puppy, though.