PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to your knitted gifts...

Simply_Renee
04-23-2008, 01:59 PM
My husband is down visiting his mom- she has stage 4 lung cancer and she's the one I knitted the prayer shawl for.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n263/simply_renee/Knitting%20projects/prayershawl.jpg

He just told me she wore it to chemo yesterday and has worn it every day- that she just loves the colors and thinks it is so sweet and warm because she is cold all the time.

I am over the moon happy! :woohoo: Since it was the first thing I gave away as a present I was so nervous that she wouldn't like it or think it was any good or something...

Tell me about great gifts you have really worked hard on, and the recipient liked them... What are you most proud of that you knitted for someone?

princessbonniejane
04-23-2008, 02:02 PM
that is so pretty. I'm glad she loves it. I like the colors too. Good job on your first present.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-23-2008, 02:11 PM
i made a weasley sweater for my 7 year old... he wore it to school (his choice) almost every day during the winter AND he wore it during his spring pictures (his choice). Whenever he's chilly or cold he digs it out and puts it on (i have to sneak in his room and grab it when he's sleeping just to wash it he loves it so much!)

Jaxhil
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
That really is pretty, I am sure she feels *hugged* every time she wears it!

I made a headband (braided cables, with DB Cashmerino, red) and my Mom LOVES it. She wears it a LOT. Well when it was cold anyway, lol. I also sew, and I give sewn gifts a lot. Usually pajama pants, they go over like gangbusters, too. It feels so good when you know you can make someone happy and feel comfy in something you made for them, doesn't it?

The thing I'm most proud of is a sweater I made for my DSon Michael (he's 9) that came out gorgeous and he actually LIKES it and fits him perfectly! Needless to say, I'm thrilled silly :teehee:

You really did a good job on the shawl-its such a pretty color, too!

Simply_Renee
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
i made a weasley sweater for my 7 year old... he wore it to school (his choice) almost every day during the winter AND he wore it during his spring pictures (his choice). Whenever he's chilly or cold he digs it out and puts it on (i have to sneak in his room and grab it when he's sleeping just to wash it he loves it so much!)
YES! It's especially fabulous when one of your kids appreciates what you made for them!

I am trying to picture what a weasley sweater might look like...

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-23-2008, 02:19 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2258/2182374999_7506a66f87_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9787061@N06/2183160736/in/photostream/

Simply_Renee
04-23-2008, 02:24 PM
A HA! I was picturing a knitted weasel, don't laugh @ me!

What a cool sweater, and your son is a cutie pie!

Simply_Renee
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
That really is pretty, I am sure she feels *hugged* every time she wears it!

I made a headband (braided cables, with DB Cashmerino, red) and my Mom LOVES it. She wears it a LOT. Well when it was cold anyway, lol. I also sew, and I give sewn gifts a lot. Usually pajama pants, they go over like gangbusters, too. It feels so good when you know you can make someone happy and feel comfy in something you made for them, doesn't it?

The thing I'm most proud of is a sweater I made for my DSon Michael (he's 9) that came out gorgeous and he actually LIKES it and fits him perfectly! Needless to say, I'm thrilled silly :teehee:

You really did a good job on the shawl-its such a pretty color, too!
Awesome! I haven't made anything fitted yet- I wish my mom wanted a headband but she has chosen a long jacket that will only take 11 balls of yarn I can't afford...

My son is 5- maybe I should try a sweater for him while he is still small! :-)

Sunshine's Mom
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Beautiful prayer shawl. What a wonderful way to say "I love you" on a daily basis.

I made a shawl for my mother-in-law when I was first starting to knit. It was VERY time consuming, but she adored it. That made me feel good.

I make socks all the time for everyone and they ALWAYS love them.

This past Christmas money was tight so I decided to FINALLY knit the afghan I'd been meaning to make (I bought the yarn eons ago) and give it to my best friend for Christmas. It didn't take me very long to make it, but she was over-the-moon happy about it. Everyone in the family loves that afghan and goes right for it to curl up for a nice snuggle. I was so pleased about that because you never really know how someone is going to react to a homemade gift.

But, most of all, when my mom went through chemo I knitted her a bunch of chemo caps that she loved. Since everyone made such a fuss over them at the oncology center I made a huge bunch of them and donated them. Apparently, they were all snatched up the same day they were delivered. Then I made some for my best friend's mom when she was going through chemo. Again, she had people stopping her in stores to compliment her on her hat. It made me feel really good when I found out she was responding "My daughter's friend made them for me." They were so simple to do but brought such joy and comfort to all these people that there has been no better feeling.

knitgal
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
What a wonderful gift to give your MIL. I'm sure it makes her feel very loved and more comfortable given her illness.

I made a throw for the DBF's grandma for Christimas last year. I worked very hard on it and I think it may have been her favourite gift. The look on her face was just priceless when she opened it. Now everytime I see her, she tells me how it matches her living room perfectly and how much she loves it.
Isn't knitting for others SO rewarding?

SandraS
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I did a long tube scarf for my adult son and was sure he would toss it in the closet. Imagine my thrill and delight when I found out he was wearing it and showing it off as in "see what my Mom made"! Needless to say he gets a new one every Christmas now. I told him a man in a scarf is very GQ.
I did a blanket for my step grandson that he loved to pieces. He drug it around until it had holes, then asked me to fix it! The hole was big enough to put my head through. He also wanted another blanket and he got it! It's always a thrill when your work is appreciated, and a real bummer when it's not. I'm careful about who gets my hand work just for that reason.

blueygh2
04-23-2008, 04:16 PM
I haven't had the joy of giving something as a present yet, but I'm working on it. This afghan is going to take ages, and then assembling, oh oh... Hopefully it will be appreciated.

phisch
04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
I knit a Danica scarf in Patons SWS for my MIL. She loves it! She wears it as often as she can (I made sure the scarf's colors were in her wardrobe) and likes tell me her friends can't believe it was hand made.

I love her. Heehee.

Cynamar
04-23-2008, 05:38 PM
I haven't made a gift yet, either. I made a scarf for Julianne after she picked out yarn from my stash. She says she loves it but I don't know if she has used it. I made another with my Knifty Knitter Flower Loom thingy and made one for my cousin with it. I haven't seen the cousin to give it to her but I think she will love it. I wish I could make Julianne want more hand-knitted things.

tmav113
04-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Like everyone else, I have all kinds of horror stories about presents that weren't liked, but I have one nice story that makes it all worthwhile. I knitted something for the women in my family for Christmas, and they met their presents with varying degrees of delight. Some, I am sure, are not being worn at all, and some set about immediately altering theirs so that they would be more to their liking. :)

But my darling Nana, who taught me how to knit in the first place 1 1/2 years ago (with help from the videos on this web site - shush, don't tell her) looked at the hat that I had made her, really looked at it, turning it all over in her hands like most of us would with a bit of knitting, and then she looked at me and said, in this absolutely sincere tone, "I'm really proud of you."

Few people have said something in my life that meant more to me than those few words.

msoebel
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I made my dd a sweater that she loves. Actually, since then, I have made her several things because she appreciates them soooo much. There is a moment of pure pride on my part when my little girl walks up to someone and tells them, "Do you see this?(holding knitted item to be examined) My mommy made it for me because she loves me. Isn't it beautiful?"

No wonder I knit for her so much!

margz3
04-24-2008, 10:16 AM
What a beautiful prayer shawl! Well, let see...one year I made scarfs for all the bartenders at my local VFW for Christmas - they all loved them (I work there PT too). I have made them for my DD (who is always asking for more) and some of her friends. When I first got back into knitting, I made my mom an afgan which she loved (along with giving her a "lap blanket" - aka a crocheted afghan that never was finished and now I can't buy the yarn :eyes:) I recently made a baby sweater for the baby of someone I work with. This was the best - he and his wife loved it - said it was one of their favorite gifts and dressed her in it all the time. Only the 2nd sweater I ever made :cheering:

dustinac
04-24-2008, 10:26 AM
:yay: That is wonderful! It brings her a lot of comfort I'm sure...

My kids are the same way...I know there will come a time when it will embarass them but for now they love when I knit for them :thumbsup:

I have a friend in town that is a lot older than me (she tells everyone I'm her adopted granddaughter) and I make her slipper socks...she will wear them bare and then I will go over and see the holes and know it's time for another pair...she also loves knitted dishrags so those usually leave with her too :teehee:

This Christmas I decided to knit something for our n'bors...they have been so good to us and to the kids...he will load the kids into the wagon and pull them around the field in his tractor and she is always baking them cookies...makes it nice when our families are in WV (we are in OH)....so anywho back to my point :teehee: ...I made them both scarves...her a lacey one and him a cabled one...they wore them all winter and told me their friends were so jealous of them...'cause they had someone who would knit for them...they told me they showed them to everyone...:rofl: ....I was so happy about this 'cause I really had no idea how the gifts would be accepted...

It makes you feel great when your things are well loved...:yay:

gingerbread
04-24-2008, 10:40 AM
I was making the Irish Hiking Scarf just because. My granddaughter came over and she fell in love with it. Of course she started going through my stash. She pulled out some yarn that I bought and said can you make this color for me. So now I am making the scarf in her color. Like everyone else says it is so nice to knit something that will be loved to death.
I bought that yarn because my computer color was off. So when I got it the color was not what I liked. So now I can get rid of it and now that she is happy with that yarn she loves.:thumbsup:

:waving:

vaknitter
04-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I think I give away more than I keep....my hubby has gotten 3 things and while he says he loves them he doesn't wear them as much as I would like.
The first couple of prayer shawls I made I was nervous how they would be received as I am more religious that many of my friends. I have the blessed at church and then send them on their way. Having said that I have made 4 prayer shawls and they have all been very well received.
The last pair were for 2 older ladies that I used to live next door to when I lived in my apt. They are so adorable and have outlived most of their family and friends. I think btwn them there is one son and DIL to take care of them. I wish I had taken a camera.
Another prayer shawl went to a friend from grad school who just a few months after receiving the prayer shawl died of metastatic cancer. Her husband and son called to let me know she had passed and that she cherished the prayer shawl. Her words were "it meant more than you could ever know." She was in her 40's.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-24-2008, 11:45 PM
when i make things for gifts, i go and think about the people I'm making them for..

Ie: my MIL was always cold and said the afghan her sister made her was too thin and didn't keep her warm, so i made her a nice thick and warm ripple afghan she still uses.. yet she won't use the hot pads and pot holders i made her because she was afraid of ruining them.

a friend of mine loves shawls with fringe... so i have one in the works for her... in colors i know she likes (she's a seamstress and just remodeled her bedroom... i choose vivid colors for her because she's a bright and vivid person)

Debkcs
04-25-2008, 02:36 AM
It was very sweet of you to make the prayer shawl for your MIL. I wish her the best.

My mother and I don't get along (sad but true) but one year I decided to give her a crocheted sweater. I worked really hard on it, and I'm proud to say, it turned out beautifully. Actually had offers to buy it from people I worked with, and two complete strangers. My DH didn't think she'd like it, she was always knocking the time I spent crocheting, but she loved it. Wore it whenever she could for about two years. Then she found out that I had also crocheted another style of sweater for my DMIL (the sweetest person to ever live) and after that she never wore it, and my brother found it wadded up in the bottom of her closet.

McKnitty
04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
Your shawl is beautiful! And it is heartwarming to know it is so loved and appreciated. I've only knitted for family, a few close friends, and charities. I've received very nice comments and thanks, but I've never actually seen any of my items being used or worn. I would love to know that the recipient was actually using something I'd knitted.

tmav113
05-08-2008, 03:38 PM
I recently made a baby sweater for the baby of someone I work with. This was the best - he and his wife loved it - said it was one of their favorite gifts and dressed her in it all the time. Only the 2nd sweater I ever made :cheering:

This reminds me of another story of mine...my boss had a baby a few months ago (she is the sweetest of all sweet babies) and I have knit her what is probably an excessive amount of hats. I went to see her right when they had brought her home from the hospital, and she was wearing one of my wee little hats. :) I know that most people always remember what they brought their babies home from the hospital in, and that it's a big choice for them, so I was really happy that my hat was going to be part of that memory for them.

I :heart: other people's babies. :)