PDA

View Full Version : Yarn "unraveling"?

heykaren
04-23-2008, 03:06 PM
Im working with Microspun now, and the yarn on the ball is "twisted" , but when I knit with it, it seems to be all straight strands. I thought I read somewhere that it depends on whether you take the yarn from the middle of the ball or the outside - could that be whats happening?

(Sorry if this doesn`t make much sense, I worked nights last night and am a bit out of it...:aww: )

Karen

mathwizard
04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Do you mean the yarn threads are separating? I knitted a tie from microspun(it had over 600 rows) and I never had a problem with. I didn't look for a center pull. I doesn't make a difference whether you start with a center pull or go around the outside of the yarn. The tie is finished except for the ironing of it.

Jan in CA
04-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Microspun is splitty which is caused because the strands are not tightly spun together. I'm not sure if taking it from the ball outside or inside makes a difference. I wound it into a center pull ball first and didn't have too much trouble with it. It sounds like you're twisting it somehow.. :think:
Scroll down to see the center pull ball instructions
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Mulderknitter
04-23-2008, 08:12 PM
I have the same problem with microspun. I tend to knit straight from the ball if it comes that way, so maybe that's it. I always have trouble finding the inner end, so maybe that too. But microspun is known to split, even though it has gorgeous colors and is soft. I started making socks on small dpns with it, oooooo what a nightmare!:roflhard:

vaknitter
04-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I rarely say HATE, but I HATE microspun yarn. I bought a ball of it make something and ended up throwing it away and have never looked back.

heykaren
04-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Ive enjoyed working with it so far ( well, Ive worked with worse... ) and the scarf Im making looks fine, but I was just wondering why it seemed to change as I worked with it. I usually try to find the center pull, and knit from the right needle to the left. I thought I had heard/ read somewhere about unraveling, but that might have been with sewing thread and quilting. Hmmmm, will have to think about that one...

Thanks for your replies :thumbsup:

Karen

Jan in CA
04-24-2008, 05:18 AM
t I was just wondering why it seemed to change as I worked with it.

It does sort of untwist itself when you're working with it and I'm not sure there is any thing to do except live with it. :shrug:

mathwizard
04-24-2008, 06:42 AM
I knitted a tie which has over 600 rows and did it on size 2 circular needles and I didn't have one problem with the yarn splitting. It is great yarn!!! I must have been lucky because I would make anything with this yarn. I do not ball my yarn as I feel it flattens the natural loft of the yarn. When I sew I iron my material as I want it flat but I want my yarns nice and fluffy. If I can find the center pull I do use it but I don't always find it easily. Each to his or her own choice. :cheering: