PDA

View Full Version : Poor ME :-(

GinnyG
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
I had a Dr's appointment today and he told me to stop knitting for 7-10 days:waah: :waah: :waah: I haven't gone that long without knitting in years.

I have tendonitis in my thumb and forefinger:waah:

I am a Cardiac Rehab Nurse and take 75-100 blood pressures a day, knit every spare moment and am also an EMT taking bp's at night. I've "strained" my right hand.

dang dang dang!

Shewhoknits
04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
I have total sympathy. I have had to stop for awhile because my other projects are so behind. Not as sad or painful a reason but still I ask myself why I start so many other projects. Like sewing, quilting, two bookclubs. etc. etc. My wrist get sore quite a bit also I hope I am not going to be following your footsteps.

boo1
04-24-2008, 02:17 PM
but you have to take care of yourself or it will just get worse. Rent some good movies to watch this week or grab some books from the library to keep yourself busy.

Hugs,
Laura

HollyP
04-24-2008, 02:46 PM
:hug: I hope you heal quickly! Now seems like a good time to learn left handed knitting!:teehee:

Plantgoddess+
04-24-2008, 03:17 PM
You have my sympathy. I still am in a knitting craze and can't seem to get back into my other hobbies. Hope you survive with your sanity intact.

sinistral_needler
04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
I think you should blame it on work at take a week off from THAT! Sounds like that would hurt your hand more than the knitting would!! Hope you feel better soon!

Jan in CA
04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
:pout: Hope you feel better soon!

princessbonniejane
04-24-2008, 03:48 PM
oh too bad. I've had that problem too. I broke my hand over christmas and had to stop knitting for 1 month. i feel your pain :^(

SandraS
04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
I get bursitis in my right shoulder and had a chiropractor tell me I had to stop knitting. No, I said, "you have to fix it so I can knit!" Why does your doctor blame knitting for your problem? Seems to me squeezing that BP thing would cause it, too.

mare-nitt
04-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Sorry to hear about your tendonitis. I am suffering with this right now too. My lower and upper arm is painful on the inside area.
I over worked sorting files at work for 4 days straight, that and knitting at night.

I have tried not to knit for 2 weeks, I made it 1 and a half weeks and knit for a while for three days, well, today I paid for it. I am so disappointed.
I miss knitting so much. So, I feel for you.

GinnyG
04-24-2008, 05:41 PM
I get bursitis in my right shoulder and had a chiropractor tell me I had to stop knitting. No, I said, "you have to fix it so I can knit!" Why does your doctor blame knitting for your problem? Seems to me squeezing that BP thing would cause it, too.
Actually it is both, the knitting and the BP's but I can't take off work just for a sore hand:pout: so I'm wearing some stupid hand brace ( or at least I'm supposed to be wearing it) and hoping that not knitting will help.

Debkcs
04-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Ginny, I feel your pain, literally, and directly blame the sphig bulb for it. Years and years of bp's have left my (L) thumb a mess.

Mike
04-24-2008, 10:30 PM
Get a second opinion ;)

You just made me realize why my neck has been starting to bother me again. I haven't been knitting because of the garden and wood work. Looking down at the knitting helps.
I guess I have to go work on my socks for the rest of the night. :woohoo:

Cynamar
04-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Gosh! Why live?

Becky Morgan
04-24-2008, 10:40 PM
This is a good time to learn that one-handed needle under the arm technique! (Or to go on a major yarn petting and stash enhancing tour.)

GinnyG
04-25-2008, 05:12 AM
What do you think........can I learn to knit with my TOES???????

Ronda
04-25-2008, 07:06 AM
That sounds miserable.
Don't you have one of those automatic BP thingies? You just wrap the cuff around the arm and press a button and it takes your BP all by itself? I'd insist they get those for you at work! ;-)

I hope the next 10 days go by like lightening for you - and I hope everything is 100% improved at the end of your rest period.

Newbie2Knitting
04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
What do you think........can I learn to knit with my TOES???????

:roflhard:

Well, now that I think about it, I've seen people with no arms do some amazing things with their feet...

G J
04-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I have hand, arm and neck problems, too and I feel your pain!
Here's a copy of a post I made a few weeks ago. Maybe it will help you!
I learned Portuguese knitting--VERY EASY and GREAT for those with hand problems!
I've been an English knitter for a long time, and developed carpal tunnel and arthritis in the past year. :wall: I've tried learning Continental knitting, but it made the arthritis worse, so bagged that idea. Last Saturday, however, some of my friends on any sock KAL suggested Turkish or Portuguese knitting and linked a YouTube video. Well, that got me searching for more tutorial-type videos. These are the ones that helped me.

In this one, she explains a yarn holder. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xswHlgb1i_E&feature=user) Good for me, since neck problems prevent me from putting the yarn around my neck. I use a safety-pin type stitch holder and put it through a buttonhole (or my bra strap, if there's no buttonhole:aww:).

This one shows the basic knit stitch (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CBhq4VusU5Y&feature=related). She goes slowly enough to actually tell what she's doing. Take note that you DO cross your right needle over the FRONT of the left needle and then flip the yarn over it with your thumb.

This one shows the purl stitch (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5hYxupNcM&feature=user), which is actually EASIER than the knit stich!

And this one shows ribbing. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fre2jL...eature=related)

Here's cables. (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6DhWYBfrk)

Here's casting on (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5_tzkQKZk), but it's in Portuguese! I'm sure you can use whatever cast on works for you!

You're never too old to learn new techniques! If nothing else, this gives you an alternative method for when your hands get tired.

I had to give up knitting for awhile, but I'm back at it. HOPEFULLY after a rest, you'll be able to find a way that works for you!:hug:

lelvsdgs
04-25-2008, 05:39 PM
I feel your pain... I went through this about a month ago and had to stop knitting for about 2 weeks. I have to use a computer during the day and had to wear a brace at work (when I could stand it) and no knitting. I also wore a good brace at night and that really seemed to do the trick. OK, I cheated and did a little bit of knitting so I know it was really the night brace that made the difference. I am still wearing it because I don't want to make it worse and have to totally give it up. So as hard as it is to follow the doctor's orders, do it. You won't regret it.

:hug:

GinnyG
04-25-2008, 06:06 PM
24 hours with no knitting:waah:

This is my long weekend on EMT duty, when I usually do my MOST knitting :waah::waah::waah::waah:

woe is me...........

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Do you like to read? This is a good time for that.

GinnyG
04-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Yea, actually I have a HUGE State exam coming up in June that I should spend the time studying for. I just want to pout about not being able to knit:whistle:

bookbabe
04-25-2008, 07:49 PM
I too can sympathize...I had a bad elbow injury before Christmas and couldn't knit for about 3 months. Now I can only work for about 30 minutes at a time before I have to stop. It's very frustrating.

But hang in there. If you let it rest, you'll be back to normal sooner than you realize!

GinnyG
04-25-2008, 08:51 PM
THREE MONTHS:passedout:

dustinac
04-25-2008, 10:01 PM
:hug::heart::hug:

sayyadina
06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I've also got tendonitis now in my left wrist. Between learning to knit, packing for our move to Maine, and all the time I've had to spend on the Internet looking for & buying supplies for our farm (we're going to be raising alpacas), my wrist isn't happy. I've made it 4 days so far without knitting, and I really want to start again. Unfortunately, I really can't stop packing, since we're moving on the 19th, so I'm not knitting now. I'd rather be knitting and not packing.

GinnyG
06-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I actually JUST started back knitting with any regularity. It tood a course of Prednisone to get my thumb and wrist pain under control. I'm not even close to where I was before but at least I can knit for awhile!!!!

heatherg23
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
7 to 10 days seems a lot longer than it is. Think of things that you want to knit. Something to look foward to. When there are times I can't knit I look up patterns and other things just to take the urgh away from knitting. It probably seems like i'm addicted to knitting........Well, I am.

Hope you feel better!
Heather

Arielluria
06-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Poor girl! I know the feeling, sometimes I knit so much I need a break because my left wrist hurts (I knit Continental). Hope you're feeling better!
:muah:
P.S.: Kisses to Sissy too!:hug:

sayyadina
06-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks.
The pain is better today, but my wrist is now very stiff. I can't bend it much at all.

bambi
06-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Ginny, are you in contact with any OT/PT in your cardiac rehab job? Maybe an OT can help you find a position for knitting that will correct the problem and keep it from occurring again.

When I was in CHicago, I lived next door to a doctor who ran an artist clinic. Their entire job was to help the artisitc community with their problems, including OT to help them prevent development of the tendonitis, bursitis, etc.

Bambi

GinnyG
06-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Ginny, are you in contact with any OT/PT in your cardiac rehab job? Maybe an OT can help you find a position for knitting that will correct the problem and keep it from occurring again.

When I was in CHicago, I lived next door to a doctor who ran an artist clinic. Their entire job was to help the artisitc community with their problems, including OT to help them prevent development of the tendonitis, bursitis, etc.

Bambi

Great idea, unfortunately I am in a satellite office away from OT/PT. BUT, my LYS does have knitting ergonomics classes frequently, I should take one!!!!!!!!!!

KnitsAway
06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh how horrible for you! I have had to lay off knitting to catch up on work (darn work!) and I understand!

Reading these forums only make it worse!

Shewhoknits
06-10-2008, 01:34 PM
I agree. That really is bad luck.

Take the time to journal your stash or look for new patterns you would love to knit. Look up all the designer sites on the web. I love to do that. Garnstuido's are all free for example.

Maybe read.

Hope you heal soon.