PDA

View Full Version : Hatred for Circular Needles

heatherg23
04-25-2008, 01:41 PM
I bought my first circular needle. It's completely inter-twind with itself. I did 3 rows and the plastic part was then getting so tangled with the yarn I took it all apart. My stitches are tight on a regular needle but with a circular they are being stretched. I can't keep the stitches tight when they are on the plastic part of the needle. Im using 8.00mm size needle.

The only reason I bought it is because I have to do an 8 x 8 inch piece. I had to cast on 29 stitches and it took up the entire needle including the tip and I can't have stitches falling off. That was very frustrating. I tried those super long needles and I kept poking myself. I poked my poor dog that always lays on my lap. I can't knit in my hammock chair because it gets stuck in the net. I have to find a way to make the square using regular needles. I guess i'll try a smaller size needle and see how much room they take up.

Heather

MAmaDawn
04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Try dipping the cable in boiling water and the hold it straight. Or if you have work on it heat it up with a hair dryer to straighten it out.

Sorry you are having a hard time with them.

suzeeq
04-25-2008, 01:49 PM
What you need to do is straighten out the needle; it coils up from being that way in the package. Dip the cord only in very very hot water for a minute or two. Then let it cool off while you putll it straight. That should get most of the kinks out of it and after you knit with it a bit, the weight of the knitting will help too.

You don't have to keep the stitches tight on a circ, the cord is much smaller than the ends and that's okay, it's just a stitch holder. The tips are what determine the size of the stitches, don't worry about them after you've knit them.

mwhite
04-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Yep, do what Suzeeq says or you'll really hate them forever. Believe me, it does correct the problem of the twirling cord!

Wanda Witch
04-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Yep, do what Suzeeq says or you'll really hate them forever. Believe me, it does correct the problem of the twirling cord!
Don't give up with the circular needles. Do as Suzeeq (and the others) wrote. I would never go back to straight needles now. Good luck and keep trying...

suzeeq
04-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I can't stand to work with straight needles. Even the 10" ones get in the way.

Shewhoknits
04-25-2008, 02:29 PM
I was thinking of buying some circular's to do a sweater. How long does the plastic string need to be.

Plantgoddess+
04-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I think a 24" would be fine. If it's knit in one piece and is very large or bulky you may want to go to a 32".

Shewhoknits
04-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I am new to this, how do you know if anyone has responded to your message?

Mirl56
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I just come back often enough to check any posts I'm interested in. :aww:

But, while you're in the box typing you message, look to the next box below that says "Additional Options" - there is a drop-down box whre you can choose to get an e-mail notification when someone posts to that topic.

HollyP
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I am new to this, how do you know if anyone has responded to your message?
You can also subscribe to the thread and have any answers sent to your email. On the bottom of the page for replying there is a section of additional options with a drop down menu for thread subscriptions.

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 03:20 PM
If you still hate your circulars after you've tried the suggestions here you need another brand. Look for them with a very thin and flexible cable like Options or Addi.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 03:53 PM
it also depends on the brand... I find the boye tangle a LOT more than the bates. I also use the aluminum ones, i HATE plastic knitting needles (hence why my easy triangle shawl has been stuck in my yarn bin since last fall... I was making it to go with my dress i wear for gatherings with our tribe... well.. now i've shrunk out of the dress and have a 1/2 completed shawl.... so i'm finishing it now and thinking about finding some aluminum circs this size so i can get it done faster).

and as the pp's said... Dip the cord in boiling water and hold it straight, it DOES work.

ARiley
04-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Me too. I love my circs. The cable is nylon or something -- really, dip it in hot water for a few minutes (if the tips are bamboo or wood, don't let them get wet) and then smooth it out. While it's still warm, you might even hang it up by one end, so it's hanging straight, and let it cool off like that.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-25-2008, 05:18 PM
you can also go and wrap the still warm cable around a circular cooking pot to straighten it out too...

heatherg23
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Cool,
Thanks so much!!!

:cheering:
Heather

suzeeq
04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I was thinking of buying some circular's to do a sweater. How long does the plastic string need to be.

Circs are measured tip to tip, so that's the size that you go by. 24" is good for quite a lot of things, 29"-32" will work for sweaters, or 36" if you're making a large one or a shawl or afghan. 40" are pretty long, though they're handy for really large sweaters, shawls or afghans.

Minne2
04-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Read the directions on your pattern for the cable length. 24" are probably a good option but have you tried doing a hat on a smaller set of circulars to get familiar with the technique? I love circs and am looking forward to working on them again. The needle material such as woods, teflon coated and Turbos all contribute to your comfort level with circ knitting. The woods have a bit of natural grip to them while the Turbos slide so nicely when you are more comfortable with the technique. Yes, unkink the cable in hot water first and then check your cast ons for twisted stitches, everything should be downhill after that. Don't be afraid to use stitch markers either. Good luck!

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Must be a Boye. They suck. I bought one Boye circ and really hated it. Since I bought my Options they're all I use.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:34 AM
I started a set of Boye circulars and they do suck. I have a couple of fixed Options, which are great, and a couple of Susan Bates, which aren't bad but not as nice as the Options. I'm getting an Options set when I get either a tax stimulus check or a job--whichever comes first.

selinechan
04-26-2008, 05:58 AM
I bought my first circular needle. It's completely inter-twind with itself. I did 3 rows and the plastic part was then getting so tangled with the yarn I took it all apart. My stitches are tight on a regular needle but with a circular they are being stretched. I can't keep the stitches tight when they are on the plastic part of the needle. Im using 8.00mm size needle.

The only reason I bought it is because I have to do an 8 x 8 inch piece. I had to cast on 29 stitches and it took up the entire needle including the tip and I can't have stitches falling off. That was very frustrating. I tried those super long needles and I kept poking myself. I poked my poor dog that always lays on my lap. I can't knit in my hammock chair because it gets stuck in the net. I have to find a way to make the square using regular needles. I guess i'll try a smaller size needle and see how much room they take up.

Heather
I hope you're having better luck with your circular needles. I love mine! Don't even use straight needles anymore. Circulars are so compact and easy to handle :)

suzeeq
04-26-2008, 09:19 AM
I have some newer Boyes and they're not too bad, the older ones never were. I did buy a clover recently and it still curls up in spite of the hot water treatment. Susan Bates straighten out nicely even without heating.

miss_molly
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I can totally relate to the title of this thread. When I saw it I thought "Thank goodness, I'm not the only one"! Admittedly I'm used to straight needles so perhaps its a matter of time, but having tried circular needles a few times I am no closer to liking them.

Metal needles... hate them. Tortoiseshell or the right plastic ones feel good to me. My circulars are metal. Perhaps I should try bamboo?

The cable part gets in my way, and holding the itty bitty needle part of the circulars feels awful. With them I knit slower - usually I'm quite a quick knitter. The straights - they're not long ones, as I knit baby clothes - rest in my hands comfortably and suit my knitting action.

But for me circulars have their uses - Baby Surprise/Surplice jackets, and long bands round baby cardigans.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 10:22 AM
You have to use what feels good in your hands.

Azlynn
04-26-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't know if this helps anyone, but I found a set of bamboo circulars on ebay that have plastic tubing instead of that icky wire in between the needles, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! I will never use straights or wire cables again! They look really cheap, and I wondered if they would work well, but the yarn slides nicely over the tubing, and it's so soft and flexible, and it doesn't kink at all like the wires. I don't know why I never thought of trying them before. Now I'm a hat fantatic because I want to knit everything in the round using them. LOL