PDA

View Full Version : Jam jam everywhere and not a drop to drink...

eladine
04-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Or something...

OK, suggestions please!

I seem to have aquired a few jars of jam (6 x 340gram jars of various sorts) - and I need suggestions as to what I can do with it!! I need to use it up - quickly, and I don't want to throw it away!

So far I've got

Jam tarts (small ones and larger ones)
Swiss roll
Jam puddings
Lots of toast and jam... (could get a little tired of that one!)

And I'm stuck.

Suggestions please?!!!

El.

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
peanut butter and jam (yuck--hate peanut butter), thumbprint cookies

iza
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
I like jam on ice cream or in unflavored yogurt. :thumbsup:

eladine
04-25-2008, 03:39 PM
Thank you Cynamar... #adds it to her list#.

Looking at this mountain of jam... that's a lotttta cookies!

:D

snowbear
04-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Add some for a smoothie!

Or add ice cream w/ a little milk for a flavored shake!

does that help?

Just curious.. what flavor?

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 03:42 PM
I love it on toast! And in biscuits--our biscuits, not cookies. I know you call cookies biscuits.

Becky Morgan
04-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Biscuits. Thumbprint cookies. Cornbread (yum!)
Why do you have to use it up quickly? If you need the jars for something, that's one matter, but even then, it'll freeze. (I know that sounds odd, but it will.) If you want to leave it in the jars, it keeps for ages, never mind what the date on the jars says.

Melt it in the microwave and use it over ice cream, flavor milkshakes or smoothies, melt and pour over the corresponding fruit, flavor yogurt...

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Pancakes

sinistral_needler
04-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Jam stores extremely well. Why does it need to be used up quickly? Just curious!

If you really need to get rid of it fast, just send me some!!

sinistral_needler
04-25-2008, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=Becky Morgan;1100469]Biscuits. Thumbprint cookies. Cornbread (yum!)
Why do you have to use it up quickly? If you need the jars for something, that's one matter, but even then, it'll freeze. (I know that sounds odd, but it will.) If you want to leave it in the jars, it keeps for ages, never mind what the date on the jars says.[QUOTE]

Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

eladine
04-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Add some for a smoothie!

Or add ice cream w/ a little milk for a flavored shake!

does that help?

Just curious.. what flavor?

We've got 1 jar of Fig (very nice on toast...) 1 Wild blueberry, 1 Pomegranete, 1 Scandinavian Blackcurrant, 2 Williamette Raspberry.

eladine
04-26-2008, 05:00 AM
[quote=Becky Morgan;1100469]Biscuits. Thumbprint cookies. Cornbread (yum!)
Why do you have to use it up quickly? If you need the jars for something, that's one matter, but even then, it'll freeze. (I know that sounds odd, but it will.) If you want to leave it in the jars, it keeps for ages, never mind what the date on the jars says.[quote]

Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

Lol, I hate to use it so fast, it's the kind of jam I want to savour... nyum!

But anyway, yes, my DH needs the jars for a little project - don't know what, and not sure I want to ask!! (Let the boys play - keeps them happy!)

So, the proviso was that we'd get the jam but that we had to find use for the jam! Actually, they'd make rather good jars for glass painting... hmm, i can see arguments happening over these jars!

I might just see if I can get some plastic containers today and store it in that.

Otherwise it's off to Tesco and I'll be buying readymade pastry.

Don't get me wrong, I can make pastry, but that amount of pastry.. lol - I've got better things to do this weekend than become a pastry chef ! ;) Like.... erm.... :knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting::knitting: !!

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Looks like you have your priorities straight.

eladine
04-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Too darn right!!

Actually, today kinda got hijacked - the weather was so nice that the knitting kinda got overlooked for the chance to get out in the garden and "do" something to it!

But that's ok - it's supposed to be raining tomorrow!

knitasha
04-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Do you know American Science & Surplus?
They have dozens of styles of little jars and bottles, among other things you can't resist, all at ridiculously low prices.

Go here: http://www.sciplus.com/stores.cfm

and click on "Containers." They have to have something perfect for your husband's project.

Then enjoy the jam at leisure. It sounds too good just to scarf down.

eladine
04-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks for that link Knitasha... lol, do they deliver to the uk? :) #goes to look#!

I found a workaround - a couple of air tight plastic containers and a jar with cling film over the top!

It's toast for breakfast, toast for 11's, and toast for supper! YaY!!

cftwo
04-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I've seen recipes which use jam/jelly for meatballs... like this one http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Sweet-and-Sour-Meatballs/Detail.aspx or this one http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cocktail-Meatballs-IV/Detail.aspx

You could also do a trifle or grilled PB&J. You can do ingredient searches at Allrecipes, too.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
05-01-2008, 03:55 AM
Jam and Cottage Cheese!!!! The first time I saw them sold in the store I was like HAH! It's my favorite snack.

eladine
05-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Jam and cottage cheese?????????????????????????

Euwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Actually....

Hmm.....

#wanders off to the kitchen to experiment#

!!