PDA

View Full Version : Nicest acrylic yarn?

Cynamar
04-25-2008, 11:42 PM
In your opinion, what is the nicest, softest, easiest-to-work-with acrylic yarn? I have been trying different kinds for the charity squares and rectangles and am just not liking it. Vanna's Choice is my favorite so far.

suzeeq
04-26-2008, 12:25 AM
I like Caron Simply soft. Lion's Woolease has a little wool, but is machine washable and it's pretty nice.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 12:27 AM
I like the wool for myself, but at least one charity rectangle request was for only acrylic. I'll have to check out the Caron's. Thank you!

jdee
04-26-2008, 12:28 AM
I like simply soft as well, and bernat satin is nice.

saracidaltendencies
04-26-2008, 12:33 AM
I 2nd the Caron's Simply Soft! I've worked with a TON of acrylic (can't afford the finer yarns...lol) and out of all of the acrylics I have used, I think Caron's is the softest, and, very easy to work with.

suzeeq
04-26-2008, 01:11 AM
And they're coming out with some nice colors with the Heathers. The shadows is pretty interesting to work with too.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:17 AM
They really do have some pretty colors. I was just looking at it on Joann's website. I like them because I get My Points.

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 01:18 AM
Caron Simply Soft

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Nine out of ten dentists surveyed...

redheadrachel
04-26-2008, 01:31 AM
Another here for Simply Soft! :)

mwhite
04-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Another Simply Soft vote here! Makes super nice baby items!

figaro
04-26-2008, 09:50 AM
I like Simply Soft but I bought and really like Red Heart Soft Yarn, it is very soft and I found that SS was a little on the squeaky side for some reason. So I vote for RH Soft.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 09:52 AM
I know what I don't like--Bernat Softee Chunky! I bought four skeins the other day just for charity squares. It felt nice in the store. My square is like plastic.

auburnchick
04-26-2008, 09:54 AM
Hobby Lobby sells a brand called I Love This Yarn. This, along with Carons Simply Soft, is my favorite. For some reason, the white I Love This Yarn is the softest and really shows patterns well. I absolutely love, love, love working with this yarn. I recently bought eight skeins to make a comfort throw for a friend. That's how much I like it.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 09:55 AM
I think I have a skein of that. Thanks!

Knitting_Guy
04-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Hobby Lobby sells a brand called I Love This Yarn. This, along with Carons Simply Soft, is my favorite. For some reason, the white I Love This Yarn is the softest and really shows patterns well. I absolutely love, love, love working with this yarn. I recently bought eight skeins to make a comfort throw for a friend. That's how much I like it.

I use it myself and it's my second favorite acrylic yarn.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Mine might even be camouflage. I need to check. How perfect for the wounded military afghans! I think I bought it for a chihuahua sweater but that dog is gone.

The.Knitter
04-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Caron Simply Soft.

auburnchick
04-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Mine might even be camouflage. I need to check. How perfect for the wounded military afghans! I think I bought it for a chihuahua sweater but that dog is gone.

Oh yes, I've seen that color. It is really neat looking!

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 10:21 AM
I had another pinkish camouflage and was going to make the dogs match. One's a girl and one's a boy. The boy has a new home. It would have been cute.

miss_molly
04-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Sirdar Snuggly or Wendy Peter Pan. Love them both... lovely for baby knitting.

Hayfield Sweetheart is also beautifully soft.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I've never heard of any of them. THank you!

Jan in CA
04-26-2008, 11:42 AM
I know what I don't like--Bernat Softee Chunky! I bought four skeins the other day just for charity squares. It felt nice in the store. My square is like plastic.

Did you use an appropriate needle size? They recommend a 10, but if you knit at all tight you could go even higher. If the needle is too small the result won't be soft and floppy like knitting should be.

I find these all really soft. These are worsted weight since that is probably what you need for squares.

Bernat Satin
Caron Simply Soft
Red Heart SOFT (not supersaver)
Vanna's Choice

redheadrachel
04-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Oh, I used Vanna's Choice for a one-skein crochet scarf (the yarn was given to me as a gift) and it was extremely soft and nice! It was really, really good :)

Cirrus
04-26-2008, 12:25 PM
Anyone ever tried Wendy Peter Pan baby yarn? That's very soft too.

feministmama
04-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Plymouth Encore has nice colors. I think it might have a wee bit of wool in it though. But it is washable.

suzeeq
04-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Yes, do not knit Softee chunky on 10s. There was a swatch in the store and I thought it was so rough and stiff, having used 11s on it myself. A big world of difference.

cdjack
04-26-2008, 04:45 PM
I really like Berrocco Comfort. It's priced moderately as well. I paid $5 and I think you get about 215 yards.

Cynamar
04-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I found two skeins of Simply Soft in my stash that I had gotten for practicing socks. I didn't like it for that but I'll use it for these squares and rectangles. I have been making one out of the I Love This Yarn! today when I've had time to sit still. I like it. I think that my favorites are that and Vanna's Choice as far as acrylic goes.

margz3
04-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Cyndi - are you doing HAP squares? I just started (but am using some Red Heart Supersaver that was in my stash. I am also making a baby blanket with the Caron - love it too! I made a baby sweater with the Vanna's Choice and found that great to work with as well. That's what I was thinking of using for HAP squares once I delplete the acrylic in my stash

sue in canada
04-28-2008, 12:00 PM
I have a question for those who have used Vanna's choice. Can you tell me how it washes and does it pill?

Pat in Ca
04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
a question... I too like that Bernat Satin, but the Michaels here only has the sport weight..does anyone know where I can pick up some Bernat Satin worsted weight?? Has anyone doubled the sport?? I think if I did that it would be heavier than worsted..I don't usually order online.. I like to look and touch.. thanks for any info

Cynamar
04-28-2008, 01:41 PM
I haven't washed Vanna's Choice yet yet. I used it along with eyeash yarn to make a scarf for my cousin on a Knifty Knitter flower loom and used the rest of the skein to practice a sock, which I frogged after I ran out of that skein--got almost to the toe! I have another skein, too, and I'll use them for squares and rectangles. Is HAP the one where I'm making red, black, and white 8x8 squares? I am making those.

heatherg23
04-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I absolutely LOVE Bernat. I can't afford the expensive yarns. It's thin, and so so soft. It's very easy to knit with because it stretches. It really keeps the flow of knitting going and going. Plus it's only 1.99 (in Illinois). I look for high quality low cost yarns.

I don't want to work with anything but that.

Heather :happydance:

KniftyKnitterGal
04-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Try the Caron Simply Soft for hats, I think it works good with hats.

threesmom
04-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I haven't washed my Vanna's Choice yet either, but the blue I have look sort of like it's going to - it's got that halo thing going on that sometimes turns into piling. But I've had pretty good luch iwth other stuff that supposedly pills by just washing and drying it on a gentle cycle.

BTW - Can you get I Love This Yarn! anywhere other than Hobby Lobby? I have none of those anywhere near me, and it seems like a good alternative to the Simply SOft I usually use. Thanks!

suzeeq
04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Nope, ILTY is Hobby Lobby's own brand. You can order it from their online catalog at craftsetc.com.

kschmitz
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Caron Simply Soft is my go-to acrylic yarn, too. Especially for baby items. I have some Vanna's choice stashed for a sweater. I've swatched with it, but have yet to try it in the wash.

jdee
04-28-2008, 07:15 PM
a question... I too like that Bernat Satin, but the Michaels here only has the sport weight..does anyone know where I can pick up some Bernat Satin worsted weight?? Has anyone doubled the sport?? I think if I did that it would be heavier than worsted..I don't usually order online.. I like to look and touch.. thanks for any info

I got my Bernat Satin worsted weight at Joann's Superstore.