View Full Version : Q regarding my knitting and my knitting group...

04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I finally have a free Saturday so I am going to my knitting group. I am just unsure about what to bring. These ladies are knitting socks, sweaters out of expensive yarns and I am sitting here not knowing what to bring. I have brought with me quite a few times cotton yarn and sat there and knit plain old washcloths for myself. Right now I am knitting small ones (maybe 6 inches) for my mom for washing dishes and the other thing I am knitting is burial blankets for preemies (with Red Heart Soft) that don't make it. I don't really want to bring the burial blankets cause I don't want to upset anyone especially cause I am not sure if anyone there is trying to get pregnant. Would any of you think someone was, I dunno, a little strange for knitting these 2 items? I have tried to look for other items to knit but right now, these 2 interest me (and preemie hats too but I don't want to mess those up with knitting while talking). Am I overthinking this?

04-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Bring whatever you're working on. These items fill a need and youre contributing by making them.

04-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I would take what makes you happy knitting the group. If it is the washcloths than take them. I think it is what makes the groups so much fun seeing what everyone takes to them. :thumbsup:


of troy
04-26-2008, 01:39 PM
unfortunately, not all groups are open and accepting.. some are judgemental, some are snobby, some are filled with beginners and overwhelmed when they meet a knitter with more skill, some are filled with experienced knitters who, un intentionally, intimidate new knitters.

bring your knitting. if they don't like what you do, you can accept that, (and continue to come to the group and bear with their attitudes (which might change in time) or you can leave!

not all groups are for all people. not all groups agree.

i for one, do very little charity knitting.. but members of one group i belong to, do MOSTLY charity knitting! We get a long.. because we've decided knitting is more important.

Everyone has their own ideas about knitting, and sometimes, when confronted with a new idea, some re-act badly.. but, with time, they come to see, NOT EVERYONE IS LIKE THEM. and they learn to be more accepting..

its up to you to decide what is best...
maybe they will react poorly at first.. but maybe, with time, they will change, too,

so give it a go.. bring what you want, and if anyone has anything to say (negative) just wannly smile, and acknowledge that they disagree with you.. its ok to disagree

if the persist in being negative about what you are knitting or what you are knitting with. just change the subject.

i would guess 75 to 80% of groups are open and accepting.. and as for the other 20%--well they will die out in time!

04-26-2008, 03:05 PM
you can also just say you're making them for the NICU and leave it at that....

I still can't make burial items after having lost a baby myself, But i'd never go and put anyone down or make cruel remarks because they are making burial items.

04-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I have to agree with LilHuskiesFootBallMom, I would just say that I am making blankets for preemies and leave it at that. You wouldn't be lying, your just not filling in all the details.

04-26-2008, 04:36 PM
They have never have said anything about what I knit, they are one of the groups that are accepting but I still feel weird, I want to bring something different just to show that I can knit more than the garter stitch. I did go by the way, it was only 6 people I think and I guess I shouldn't feel that way. One lady there is a new knitter, so new that she is knitting a stitch sampler and has never done a yarn over, and another one was there knitting a garter stitch wool trivet thing. (she free form knits alot!).

04-26-2008, 04:54 PM
You knit what you knit. As for the blankets, you don't have to actually say they're burial blankets.

04-26-2008, 05:51 PM
I too agree... just bring what inspires you at the moment.

Yes, you might meet yarn snobs, or stitch snobs.. You got to learn to just smile at them and enjoy your knitting... You are knitting for yourself and for whom will get the finished project, right? They do not have a say on what you are working on.

Knit on! :)

04-27-2008, 11:47 AM
I figure its a Knitting group you should be able to bring what you want its cool when everyone has something different to show