PDA

View Full Version : Excitement Turned to Disappointment

dhc93908
04-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I am working on a dishcloth with a heart in the center. After much trial and error I started moving right along and got really excited to see the center heart begin to take shape. But now I see a hole about 4 rows down so I've obviously made a boo boo. I don't know how to fix it and I'm afraid to unravel because I think I will become frustrated trying to get the needle back in correctly since there is a knit and purl thing goin' on.

I really want to learn how to fix mistakes because I know I'll need it probably for every project I have.

My daughter said, "Who cares if there's a hole. Just keep going." I don't want a hole.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and considered. I've already watched the videos but I don't think they address my problem.

suzeeq
04-26-2008, 11:13 AM
You could use a piece of yarn and weave it through the hole to close it up.

Jan in CA
04-26-2008, 11:35 AM
If you don't want to sew up the hole as Sue says it's only 4 rows down you could "tink" back those 4 rows to the error and just move on from there. Tink is knit backwards which in this case means unknitting stitch by stitch. You don't normally want to do this for very many rows, but since it's a dishcloth and therefore not very large it's doable.

This link gives you some instructions for tinking and also going back another way.:thumbsup:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATwin03TT.html

Becky Morgan
04-26-2008, 11:37 AM
If there's a hole, you either have a dropped stitch or you've picked up a yarn over where there shouldn't be one. Neither would require you to rip out (although the yarn over might be a little more of a puzzler.) Lay the work down flat with the needle in it. Don't yank it off the end of the needle, but smooth it down with your hands and see if you can see a "ladder" above the hole. If you don't see the ladder with an unknit stitch at the bottom, you likely did pick up a yarn over, so count your stitches.

If there isn't an extra stitch, and you didn't lose one, you're really in luck--it's probably a loose spot in your knitting, and it should even out with time, handling and laundry! (I hope that's all you have.)

cam90066
04-26-2008, 11:37 AM
What stitch patt are you using? Can you post a pic? Might be easier to propose a possible fix if we can see what the problem looks like.

cam

Cirrus
04-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I often "tink," more than I want to that's for sure. I find if I go down a needle size or two for the tinking, it goes easier, then when you get to the mistake and fix whatever it is, switch back to the regular size needle to continue. Tinking goes pretty fast.

I make lots of mistakes in knitting, and if I look at my work frequently, inside and outside, I catch them sooner which means less time tinking. Once you figure out your error, you will know you are prone to that kind of mistake, and you can be more careful. For me, I went through a spell of knitting into the stitch below, so I'm careful about that now.

You are like me, you don't want mistakes in your knitting. So just be calm and consider it part of the learning process, part of getting from a ball of yarn to a finished product you can be proud of.

jdee
04-26-2008, 12:48 PM
Have you watched Amy's video for fixing mistakes? I used to have the same problem you have, and watching the video helped me a lot, because it tells how to recognize the your knits and purl stitches. Once I learned that, I could fix mistakes.

heatherg23
04-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Unraveling is the only method I use to fix mistakes because the other's are a little to advanced for me.

Unraveling can be difficult because you have to get the stitches BACK ON the needle nice and neatly.

What I learned is, when i'm done unraveling I use a small needle to put the stitches back on. I routinely use 9.0mm size needles so I break out my very thin needle and thats what I put the stitches on. This PREVENTS stretching of that row, which is what I always had and it drove me nuts PLUS it's much much easier to put the stitches on a thin needle so you don't loose the loops. If you do use your regular needle to put the loops on you might pull on it so hard that the next stitch "loops" comes out.

AFTER THE STITCHES/LOOPS ARE ON:
I keep the stitches on that thin needle and in my right hand use the 9.0 mm needle. It won't change the size of your stitches because they're going ONTO the 9.0mm needle. Then when your done with that row just put the thin needle down and continue the project.

I hope that makes sense and helps!
Good luck
Heather

Cirrus
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Good light and a calm frame of mind help, too, don't they, Heather?

Also, if you are facing tearing out and putting on the needles again, it's always good to wait a while or do it the next day when fresh.

Heather, if you have to back up just a bit, have you tried taking the stitches out one by one going backwards--tinking? It's less stressful than the tearing out method.