PDA

View Full Version : Dishcloth

DinahB
04-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I would like to try knitting the dishcloth featured in one of the Heavenly Daze books. Those books were so good, and at the time I read them I wasn't into knitting. Now I would like to give it a try, but I can't find the book. Does anyone have the instructions for the dishcloth ?

Jan in CA
04-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Is this one of them?
http://www.amazon.com/Warmth-Winter-Heavenly-Daze/dp/0739424084

Or this?
http://www.angelahuntbooks.com/html/heavenlydaze.html

DorothyDot
05-06-2008, 08:54 AM
You can also find a huge number of free dishcloth patterns just by Googling "knit dishcloth pattern free" and see what comes up.

These dishcloths are a wonderful way to develop your knitting skills, escalating you to more and more expertise quickly.

Here's a hint: I found that using thick cotton yarn for these cloths made them too heavy, too slow to dry out and too prone to getting, uh, slick and slidey.

So I much prefer using moderately-heavy [size 10] crochet thread like used for doilies. This is thin enough to hold their scrubber-ability and it dries relatively quickly. And is surprisingly durable - I use mine for washcloths in our shower. But there is rather a high shrink-factor that needs to be taken into account when you make one.

Dot

Mirl56
05-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Dorothy, I'm going to have to try one with crochet thread soon. Never thought to use size 10 thread before, but I bet I'll like them better. Thanks for that tip!

Northknitter
05-13-2008, 08:25 AM
You have put into words what I thought about those heavy knit..crochet dishcloths...crochet cotton....WONDERFUL TIP....now my question is.....re shrinkage you mention ...if it said CO 50 ....would you CO 75 or 100STS instead?.....would you use double thread? Thank you for sharing.

DorothyDot
05-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Ursula,

I would make my dishcloth/washcloth about 10-12" square. If knitting, decide how many stitches you need for each pattern repeat, then cast on enough of those stitches [in multiples of the pattern repeat] plus say 4-6 sts each end for a border.

If crocheting, I use about a 4-6 size crochet hook for crochet thread size 10. I like an open pattern such as a V stitch. Again, multiples of the pattern matter. Then I crochet a border around the whole piece once I've finished the center.

Hope this helps!
Dot