PDA

View Full Version : Sunday night computer freak out question/they really got me this time

VictoiseC
04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I just don't believe it. I guess I'm REALLY dumb. Yesterday I was reading the New York Times which is my home page when I turn on Firefox. Have had it as my home page for years. I was kind of tired and this window popped up that said ... Make this your home page?
I actually clicked it. Yup.

So. Today all day, I have been trying to get it back. (NYTimes being my home page also when I click on the icon) Instead I got this little picture on the page, and the file said (sorry for the ugly language)
file:///C:/DOCUME~1/Victoise/LOCALS~1/Temp/small_shitfacedberlinmain.jpg

A jpg file.

Ok. I went in and ERASED that file. Did a search, found it erased it. But now, I cannot click on the button that says Make this my home page (at Control Panel). It's like dead, not lit up. I tried the default which is windows or something, I tried the 3rd and only button ... aboutblank... no matter when Firefox opens it goes to
Cannot find .... that document above. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a virus search. No viruses found. Oh yeah! And here's the really Big one: my computer will not let me do system restore back to an earlier day, tried 5 times, going back a month. Each time it says no, cannot do system Restore. So somebody really got me didn't they? Sorry this is so long. Just in case, ha, someone has some free time and knows whats going on, this seems very complicated to me and I think maybe I will have to install the whole darn system again with all the discs etc. Does Sony Vaio actually have people who help you??? It's so hard to get through to anyone. (unlike here)
God. As if life isn't hard enough already!:wall::wall:

iza
04-27-2008, 06:22 PM
In principle, in firefox, if you go to Tools, Options and go in the Main tab, you should be able to put the url you want as your home page. Hope it works! :thumbsup:

VictoiseC
04-27-2008, 06:26 PM
wait wait wait I'm going to go try!!!! my DH just said YEEEEEEEEEAH OH YEAH, IT'S IN FIREFOX not your computer.
hm..... giving it a try...

VictoiseC
04-27-2008, 06:32 PM
oh my god oh my god oh mygod

talk about feeling stupid. Oh Iza. Oh Iza. I swear, we spent so much time on this and thought it was a wicked virus something other. (and my DH actually is in the computer business and FORGOT about Tools) we kept going to Control Panel. Where's the icon for "I'm so stupid!"?:doh::oops:

My DH (and me) just said to send a big MERCI, YOU ARE MERVEILLE THANK YOU SO MUCH IZA!!!:heart:

auburnchick
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM
To make you feel better, I once had a computer at work that was infected with very nasty spyware that sounded very similar to what you were experiencing. I'm glad I gave myself time to respond since it appears that you didn't have this problem.

Glad the problem is resolved!

iza
04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
:hug: I'm glad I could help! Don't worry, it happens to all of us. Sometimes you just panic and forget the obvious. Yup, been there, done that. :teehee:

Keep an eye on your computer just in case, you never know! :thumbsup:

Sewing Angel
04-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Oh gosh! You gave me good laugh! I can't tell you how many times I've done stuff like this. Usually I ask DS for help, which usually results in an answer of something I knew and a evil grin from him.
You are not alone!
Angel

Knitting_Guy
04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
IMMEDIATELY go into Firefox and delete ALL of your cookies. Its good you got your home page back, but there is still probably a cookie on your machine that you do not want there.

Man, I love Linux! :rofl:

VictoiseC
04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
oooohhhhh THANKS Mason, will do immediately!