PDA

View Full Version : Bernat Bamboo top---grrr!

bambi
04-27-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm so frustrated with the Bernat Bamboo top I knitted (short sleeve, v neck). This yarn has ZERO memory and has been totally fuzzy and ravels easily.

After blocking, it just looks worn out. Seaming with mattress stitch created a ridge on both sides. I'm not the best at seaming but I'm not THAT bad.

Even though I increased the V neck, it is till 4 inches too low. I can wear a shirt underneath, I suppose.

I'm all done with it but I'm not sure I will be able to wear it. I dare not post pics under FOs. Everyone does such great work and this looks awful. Thanks for listening to my vent!

Bambi

Jan in CA
04-27-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry! Bamboo is very soft and drapey I've heard so I guess it's the nature of the beast. I'm not sure about the seam issue because it shouldn't make any difference with the yarn. Mattress shouldn't have a ridge on both sides. :??

And go ahead and post the FO with questions. It's easier to help if we can see the problem. :hug:

margz3
04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Wow - thanks for that info! I really like the feel of the yarn and was planning on getting some to make myself a tank....I think I may pass now!

bambi
04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I'll try to take a pic and post it so I can get tips on better technique but I will be embarrased as all get out!

:hair:

Bambi

lelvsdgs
04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
You should never be embarrassed! How else do we all learn but by our mistakes. And it sounds like it has more to do with the yarn than your skills. You never know, someone may have the perfect solution for you.

Jan in CA
04-28-2008, 02:19 PM
I have a feeling that this yarn is better suited to simple, drapey tops. You might also have to use a smaller needle to get a denser fabric which would also hold up better. :think:

bambi
04-28-2008, 09:28 PM
:gah:

Jan, I think you are right. The smaller needles would have been better. I made the correct guage with the swatch so I used the recommended needle size on the package which is a 6mm.

I read all my Interweave knits e-mails and they talk about negative ease. I knitted the 36 inch bust size b/c I have a 36 inch bust but I probably could have made the 34 inch and it would not have looked like a really fancy burlap sac.

I (boldly) added waist shaping which did help somewhat but not enough. Still haven't taken the pic but I will tonight.

Can I seam the sides in over the current seam?

Bambi

suzeeq
04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I make most of my sweaters and tops with 2-4" of negative ease and that seems to fit my shape pretty well.

Inis
04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Thank you so much for the info. Have you washed it or just blocked it? I imagine if it looks that bad just getting it wet, that washing is out of the question.

Plantgoddess+
04-29-2008, 07:22 PM
I fell in love with some bamboo yarn at my LYS and bought a couple of skeins. I planned to make socks. I started the first sock and realized that they would end up pooling around my ankles.
I ended up making the branching out scarf out of it. It's a great feeling yarn, but I agree that it's uses are limited.

bambi
04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I did take pics but I'm too tired tonight to post them. I'll post them in a new post under FO and ask for everyone's advice later.

Bambi