PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions Re: gauge, knitpicks Cotlin, and $1.50 Cardi...

HamaLee
04-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Greetings my esteemed colleagues,

Ok I'm here for your opinions before I set off on the Dollar and a Half Cardigan from IK. Soo...I've knit up a gauge swatch (whoa, imagine that!) in the lace pattern. Of course, I only did a 21 stitch/26 row swatch which is EXACTLY the 4x4 dimensions (I'm lazy). So I wet it down and I've got it pinned to a gridded board and it just BARELY stretches out to meet the 4x4 dimensions.

So here are my questions: Does Cotlin stretch with wear or hold really tight to dimensions? Does the $1.50 pattern run large or small? Cuz I'm wondering if I should just attack the pattern with the needles I used for the swatch and make the size I intended--or if I should go up a needle size or maybe half a needle size...or if I should use the swatch needles but make it a size larger? Etc etc...

Any opinions would be very welcome! Thanks :muah:

suzeeq
04-28-2008, 12:10 AM
You might want to try redoing the swatch, only add about 5 sts of seed st on either side of the stitch pattern of 21 sts, and a few rows of garter before and after. The edge sts behave differently from the middle stitches and you may not get a true measure of your gauge if you only CO the exact number of sts.

Gaby
04-28-2008, 11:01 AM
suzeeq is right (as usually :yay:)

A swatch has to be greater than 4x4 in. There is a good saying:"A lazy person usually is forced to make everything twice". So... value your time and don't be lazy.:hug:

Here are some details about swatching
http://www.smart-knit-crocheting.com/beginner-crochet.html

HamaLee
04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Oh I know all the rules about swatching, but I'm still too lazy to go beyond a meager minimum.:teehee: I think I'm gonna just start the sleeve and use that as my "swatch."

My laziness has never forced me to make anything twice, sometimes it just means I make a gift instead of something for myself. Hehe.

kschmitz
04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Just a heads up...check out other examples of the Dollar and a Half Cardi. Lots of people have had issues with the non-lace portions bulging out, giving a weird Michelin man effect. There's talk of using a smaller needle for those portions. I'm trying to remember where I saw the discussion...maybe Ravelry.
It's a great sweater! I have it in my to-do list.

HamaLee
04-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Just a heads up...check out other examples of the Dollar and a Half Cardi. Lots of people have had issues with the non-lace portions bulging out, giving a weird Michelin man effect. There's talk of using a smaller needle for those portions. I'm trying to remember where I saw the discussion...maybe Ravelry.
It's a great sweater! I have it in my to-do list.

Yeah I've checked that out both on Ravelry and the blog KAL. I'm debating--I might do regular St st instead of Rev, but I've also seen some examples that came out fine after blocking. I like the texture of the Rev St st but sometimes I also feel like it just adds more thickness and I'm not a person who really needs that :teehee:. Can't decide yet...

Gaby
04-28-2008, 08:44 PM
HamaLee,
I like your optimistic approach. :hug:

<<<<My laziness has never forced me to make anything twice, sometimes it just means I make a gift instead of something for myself. Hehe.<<<<

HamaLee
04-28-2008, 10:29 PM
HamaLee,
I like your optimistic approach. :hug:

<<<<My laziness has never forced me to make anything twice, sometimes it just means I make a gift instead of something for myself. Hehe.<<<<

:teehee:

I'm a process knitter, what can I say! :knitting: