PDA

View Full Version : I Did It Again

McKnitty
04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
.........I bought ANOTHER knitting pattern book that has crochet finishing. I should have learned my lesson by now and should know to check much more carefully before purchasing.

Anyway, it is Bright & Cheery Knit Dishcloths by Susan Robicheau. The designs of the knitted dishcloths are pretty and fun, but each dishcloth is finished with a crochet edging.

Do I have to learn to crochet, or are there another options for a knitted edge? I was wondering if I could just add a couple of knit rows on each end and 2 knit stitches on each side for a garter stitch edge? Or would that distort the pattern?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated!

mwhite
04-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Never fear, you can finish them with knitted edgings. Since dishcloths generally have at least 40-45 sts and 55-60 rows, you can take a 16" circular, pick up sts on all four edges and knit a couple rows like that. Or google "knit edgings" and add some. On the corners, you'll want to do increases so your edging won't curl. Either Kfb or m1 increases will work. Find an attractive stitch pattern that has 2,3 or 4 rows and add that to the edges... Lots of options in knitting. Or learn some of the basic crochet sts, they're really not that difficult! At any rate, we're here to help and support! Hope this helps encourage you!

Becky Morgan
04-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Take a look around...are the Knitting Police over your shoulder?
You can use a slip stitch edging, or knit one on, or learn to crochet, or any combination. Yarn does not explode, no matter how you misuse it :D...if it did, I'd have been the first victim! If I REALLY didn't want to crochet but wanted the look, I'd tell myself that picking up a loop in each stitch or row or whatever with the tip of the needle and drawing the working yarn through was Not Slip Stitch Crochet But Just Another Kind Of Knit.

Of course, if you DO learn to crochet, it opens up a lot of possibilities for lace and such...(just being a crochet enabler:D)

Cynamar
04-28-2008, 11:57 PM
You are just going to have to be beaten. Or learn to crochet. You can pick.

WandaT
04-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Most of the time I have 3-4 stitches on each end that I do a garter or seed stitch border. Whichever stitch I choose I do the first and last 5-6 rows too. This give the stitch design a nice finish. If you look at other dishcloth patterns you can get ideas for your borders.

jess_hawk
04-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Yarn does not explode, no matter how you misuse it :D...if it did, I'd have been the first victim!
Apparently you've never been the victim of bad yarn vomit.
I've only had it happen once or twice, but it can happen.

On the other hand, I think I'll enable just learning some crochet. I'm not a fan of crochet (yet) but it does open up so many new possibilities!

Inis
04-29-2008, 09:30 AM
No. You absolutely MUST learn how to crochet ;)

Even though I'm kidding, I encourage you to learn crochet. Think about it this way -- with knitting you must keep track of (sometimes) 100's of loops on your needles -- with crochet there's only one! If you make a mistake you pull one loop out and try again. How easy is that?

Becky Morgan
04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Apparently you've never been the victim of bad yarn vomit.

Hehehe...how about projectile barf from a one-pound skein? Been there, done that, still have nightmares to prove it :roflhard:

McKnitty
04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
At any rate, we're here to help and support! Hope this helps encourage you!

Aw, thanks! I keep thinking it is 'just' a dishcloth, but I still want it to look good.

McKnitty
04-29-2008, 11:55 AM
You are just going to have to be beaten. Or learn to crochet. You can pick.

:teehee:

McKnitty
04-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Most of the time I have 3-4 stitches on each end that I do a garter or seed stitch border. Whichever stitch I choose I do the first and last 5-6 rows too. This give the stitch design a nice finish. If you look at other dishcloth patterns you can get ideas for your borders.

I think that's it! I've only done a couple of washcloths and both had garter stitches on all the edges.

McKnitty
04-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Think about it this way -- with knitting you must keep track of (sometimes) 100's of loops on your needles -- with crochet there's only one! If you make a mistake you pull one loop out and try again. How easy is that?

Oh my, you have made a very good point!

Plantgoddess+
04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Learning to crochet does open up other options down the road. A crochet seam in assembling sweaters, doing a block afghan and joining the blocks with single crochet. I just taught a friend to crochet so that she could use crochet thread to make a lace border around a quilt she had just finished.