PDA

View Full Version : Increase on purl? and "sides"

heatherg23
04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Hi guys :)

I was just reading the increase page and I just noticed that it says you have to increase on the knit side. I don't like the knit stitch so instead of knitting every row I purl every row (it's so much easier). Does that mean I can never increase while purling?
:p
Also, I didn't know there were "sides" but obviously there are. For example, on the tv show "Knitting and Crocheting Today" they were knitting a pillow cover and they needed it to be done on both sides, not just one. That's when she said "You knit on this side because this is the knit side and you purl on this side because it's the purl side".

So, if I purl every row and I want it to be reversable I can just turn the needles and do the knit stitch on the other side?Will I get the same design? I assume you would have to do it at the end of the row. :)

2 weeks after I started knitting I found out that if you purl every row it's the same design as knitting every row. I don't get how doing 2 different stitches gives you the same design, but that's fine.

Sorry so long..........THANKS!
Heather
:knitting:

Ingrid
04-29-2008, 07:20 PM
When you knit a stitch, you are really getting a knit on the front and a purl on the back--that is, the back of a knit is a purl, and the back of a purl is a knit.

So if you purl every row, it's the same as knitting every row--garter stitch. You're just putting the purl on the side that's facing you rather than putting the knit on the side that's facing you as you work the rows.

When you work stockinette stitch, where all the knit 'V' stitches are on one side and all the purl bumps are on the other side, then you have to knit one row and purl one row. If you want the bumpy side to be the 'right side' or the 'outside', then it's called reverse stockinette.

cam90066
04-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Yes, knitted objects often have sides....one being 'public' and the other 'private.' (Look at existing pieces of apparel you own. Most have an inside/private and an outside/public.) Items like scarves, which have two public sides are sometimes worked as reversible. Garter st, whether worked as all K or all P, is a reversible st being it looks the same on both sides.

'Sides' and 'edges' are often times used interchangeably. When working across a row, some patts will refer to each 'edge' as a 'side.' (As you look at the piece it has a right and left side.) And, when doing a garment that has separate pieces for the front, you'll not only have a right and left 'side' as they position on the body but each piece will have a private and public 'side.'

cam

suzeeq
04-29-2008, 10:31 PM
There's a RS (that face out) and a WS (that faces in); there's the sides of a row - the beginning and end - which are also known as edges. You can increase in purl sts, use the ones that are shown in the Increase videos, only do them purlwise.

heatherg23
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Suzeeq ,

I did look at the video's on here but it's for the knit stitch. The same as the DVD i bought which taught me how to knit but neither show them for purling so I have nothing to go by. I have no way of knowing if i'm doing it right. I'll figure it out. I just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight before trying.

Thanks for your time!!!

Heather

p.s. THANK YOU to everyone who replied. I need all the help I can get :)

suzeeq
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
You would make the same increases as the knit stitch, but on the purl side as if you're making a purl st. For purl front and back, purl a st, but leave it on the left needle and insert the right needle into the back leg of the st and purl again. For a M1 purlwise, pick up the yarn between 2 sts with your left needle from back to front, and purl into the front leg which will twist the stitch. You need it twisted or it'll leave a hole in the knitting.

cam90066
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
I did look at the video's on here but it's for the knit stitch.

In the vids for Increases check out these for purling:

To work M1R on the Purl side:

To work M1L on the Purl side:

To work this stitch on a purl row:

cam