PDA

View Full Version : local library

knitnj
04-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Are you taking advantage of your local library for books? I just ordered a book from another library and they will have it delivered to my local library by the end of the week. I can't believe how many great books they had. I ordered one of Debbie Bliss' baby books. You can search the data base for books...or if you know the title...just put it in.

SteveDallas
04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Absolutely! I've gotten a ton of knitting books through the local library. Where I live, all the public libraries in our county have a common catalog system, and you can request books from other libraries through the web site. If the book isn't checked out, it will usually be there for you to pick up in 2 or 3 days. If you don't know what knitting books your local library has, or what arrangements they have to share book with other libraries, it's definitely worth your time to find out.

LilHuskiesFootBallMom
04-29-2008, 08:36 PM
always :)

and when I find a pattern I really like in the book, I use my scanner and scan the pattern in so I have my own copy that I can mark up for sizes and such.

suzeeq
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Yep, here too. Ours is statewide and so was the system in Michigan. Have ordered lots of books to have a looksee, or for one pattern or another.

Jan in CA
04-29-2008, 11:59 PM
We have a county wide system that will send them to my local tech library. I use it all the time..try before I buy! :thumbsup:

Mirl56
04-30-2008, 06:57 AM
I love reserving books at the library! They used to charge $1 to reserve books (which I thought was a bargain), but changed it a while ago. It's free unless the book is on order and not on the shelves yet. I have a list of books I plug into the library's search box to see if they bought it yet. I probably pick up reserved books at least once a week.

Newbie2Knitting
04-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Yup, I do it, too. I've found a TON of great books to learn from. The first time I went and found all the books I checked out way more than I could ever use in a two week period. I'm pacing myself, now. Well, barely. ;)

Yarnlady
04-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Not to mention great audio books to listen to while knitting!

Jaxhil
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
I have done that-but I have to pay shipping charges! It's more than a buck, too-which *is* a great deal, btw! I live in a small town, so maybe that's why. :( So I don't do it unless I reaaaaallly want to check a book out, lol.

As it is, our library has a tiny (and really OLD) selection of knitting books. They do have one by EZ-Knitting Without Tears-but of course, I already own that, ;)

I do yearn for a better selection-but I have a far better selection on my own shelf :p I envy those with access!

heatherg23
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Hey,

I've been there a couple times. I'd be happy if there were some on the shelves but there were a couple available. They must be popular. I don't buy books any longer.

Heather
:knitting:

cam90066
04-30-2008, 11:22 AM
I've checked out hundreds of knitting/crocheting books thru the lending system over the years. They also have some instructional DVDs.

cam

wholycow
04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
I've found that we don't have as many knit bks.as they do of crochet,and quilting. I have mentioned it to the staff,that knitting is not represented enough, I also threw in a suggestion that they stock 'Interweve Knits' as a mag. That would be excellent for me,as I do love that mag.:inlove: ,and really trying to cut spending in areas so I can afford to buy those super nice yarns~:knitting: take care~

McKnitty
05-01-2008, 02:14 PM
I live in a large city, but the public library system hardly has any knitting books (and the ones they do have aren't ones I want to bother with). I think it may have to do with the oh-so-wrong assumption that people who live in warm climates don't knit.

You are so smart to take advantage of this opportunity. I can't tell you how much money I have wasted on books that weren't worthwhile.

cam90066
05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I think it may have to do with the oh-so-wrong assumption that people who live in warm climates don't knit.

Hmmm. I live in Los Angeles and the city library system has tons of knitting (and crochet, etc) books. We also have a country lib system as well as some local city libraries (like Santa Monica). So a large selection despite this being a 'warm weather climate.'

cam

Simply_Renee
05-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I guess you can tell if the librarian is a knitter...

I love our local library. There are only a few books on knitting- but I have currently checked out a knitting stitch one with TONS of stitches & ideas- it's one I'd like to buy eventually. The name escapes me but I think it was published in the 60's. No matter- the stitch patterns haven't really changed!

Debkcs
05-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I guess I'm the lone dissenter here. Don't like our library system at all; as my friends also state, it's not user friendly. Also, I'd much rather buy a book, after looking through it at Borders. Then, I don't have to take it back on anyone's schedule. If Amazon has the book for less, or I can get it from Paper Back Swap (hard cover books also).

Mirl56
05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I do love to find a bargain on any books I decide I need to own and am usually more than happy to get a 2nd hand-book so I love Amazon, ebay, Paper Back Swap, etc.

It's nice to get the book from the library first so I can touch and look at it for 3-6 weeks before deciding how useful it is. Plus, most of our library branches have drop off slots so you can return them any time of day or night.

Jan in CA
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Jaxhil - Do they ship them to your house? Shipping charges make sense in that case. I p/u at the local library.

Shewhoknits
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
I don't know what i would do without library books. I have used a ton of patterns. Our libraries carry quite an array of knitting books. Good thing is if you want one you can suggest they buy it. I would like to do that with the new lace book out. Hmmm What was the name of that anyway. thank heaven you can search by the words yarn or knitting etc.