PDA

View Full Version : I'm so angry I could just burst

The.Knitter
04-30-2008, 09:41 AM
I live in a duplex. The people upstairs and I have a rack attached to the wall that has the recycle bins on it. I was just sitting outside having my morning cigarette when the man upstairs came down to put something into the recycle bin. He knocked the green bin down onto the hood of MY car, denting the car and chipping the paint. He then said "haha you have a little ding in your car" and then tried to talk to me about the weather. When I would not respond (I could not or I would have yelled at him and his small child was right there so I did not want to do that) he said "sorry about that Christine" and went inside his house.

What exactly am I supposed to do about this? This is NOT the first time he has done this to my car. I am sooooo angry I could just explode.

I came inside and wrote an e-mail to the building owner, but he does not want to bother listening to me.

What do I do to protect my property from this person?

dustinac
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
:hug: That's awful...maybe file a report or see what your options are through your insurance...or tell him I need your addy for them to send the bill to...:hug:

Kaydee
04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
I'd go and talk to him to see if he's willing to pay for the damages. If he's not responsive, I'd file a police report or something. People can't just damage your property and expect not to have consequences...and sure it was an accident, but he still should pay for the damages.

The.Knitter
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
I phoned the police. They said go get an estimate and hand it to him. If he refuses to pay for the damages take him to small claims court. This is NOT the first time he has done stuff like this. He is a PITA.

stitchwitch
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
and everybody who knows me wonders why I don't want to live around people. If it was at all possible where I live economically I'd have several dozen acres between me and the next person.
Sorry you have to go through this, hope the turd pays for the damages that he thinks he's entitled to cause.:hug:

Silver
04-30-2008, 11:16 AM
I phoned the police. They said go get an estimate and hand it to him. If he refuses to pay for the damages take him to small claims court. This is NOT the first time he has done stuff like this. He is a PITA.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest, except go to a few places and get different estimates. Show him all of them and ask him to pay for the least expensive, that way he has less chance of having a reason to refuse. If he does refuse, tell him you have no problem taking him to court. Don't back down on this guy. Good luck!! :hug:

If all else fails, you can sic that monster of a dog you have on him. Or at least leave poop on his doorstep. :teehee:

auburnchick
04-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Have you approached him and explained that you will be getting an estimate for the damage and play to take him to small claims court if he doesn't pay? I don't know if you are able to talk reasonably with this man, but it would be worth a shot. You could explain how you've overlooked other incidents, but that you have to draw the line this time. He's setting a poor example for his own children...not taking responsibility for his carelessness.

Do follow through. Not in a mean way, though. Try the communication route first, and if that doesn't work, pursue it further.

:hug:

Rabbitrescuer
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
and everybody who knows me wonders why I don't want to live around people. If it was at all possible where I live economically I'd have several dozen acres between me and the next person.
Sorry you have to go through this, hope the turd pays for the damages that he thinks he's entitled to cause.:hug:

I couldn't agree more!

The.Knitter
04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
He's having a great day today. He's got the kids all outside and he's inside singing away. His wife left for work. This man is not approachable. He is, at best, a liar! We have proven that. He phoned the city and complained about garbage pickup, stating he owned the house. They sent him tags to put on his garbage bins. Before he got them he would just come up to my side and dump his unwrapped diapers and garbage in my bin. He also told his children to put their half eaten fruit in my bin. It is right outside my door and has no lid. The lid mysteriously dissappeared two months ago. I want so badly to move but I can't because we can't afford to. Dumping poop oh his doorstep would make me as bad as him! I don't think I want to lower myself to his level.

sue in canada
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
So sorry you have to put up with that, some people are just so ignorant. I agree with others, get an estimate and give it to him but from what you say, I doubt he will offer to pay.
I hope your day is getting better.

Mike
04-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Talk to your insurance agent or if you have a lawyer talk to them.
Your laws may not say that he is the one responsible.
The responsibility could be the building owner's (since the bins are attached) or it could simply be an "act of a god" that comprehensive pays for.

sinistral_needler
04-30-2008, 02:26 PM

YOU SHOULD DO THIS!!! SERIOUSLY! Include the landlord too. That will get their attention.

stitchwitch
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't play well with others and I'm fully aware of this so by all means don't do this but it would be like me to take a ball bat, tire iron, etc. and bash his front fender in then say "hehe, you have a little dent now too!" :teehee:

The.Knitter
04-30-2008, 05:22 PM
To finish the story, his wife just came and looked at my car when she got home from work and said they would have it fixed. She is very mad at me for calling the police because "she considered me to be her friend and friends don't do that to friends", but a month ago when her husband put his garbage pail on top of my car and I complained to her, she said I was not to talk to her about him again and if I had a problem I should do what I had to do to resolve it myself and not involve her. I am so tired of this sh*t. I want so badly to move away from all of this. I would love to move far away into the country, but we can't afford to move.

I just got screamed at because I did what she told me to do and when I told her that she said again "friends don't do that to friends".

I give up!

iza
04-30-2008, 05:25 PM
She should be screaming at her idiotic husband, not you! :wall:

Hang in there! :hug:

BinkyKat
04-30-2008, 07:20 PM
Gee, and she married him eh? I wonder how that courtship went :teehee:

I don't like confronting people either but then going elsewhere can cause trouble too. It shouldn't though - with people like that you can never do the right thing because they have ZERO common sense. If they did, you wouldn't be put upon like this.
Hope it all works out...if you are lucky, THEY will move! :thumbsup:

Cynamar
04-30-2008, 07:51 PM
The police should have taken a report. It would have made everything easier. Were there any witnesses?

vaknitter
04-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Sometimes people are just plain stupid - that's all there is to it.
My parents have lived in the same house now for 20 yrs and 12 of those with the same dog. Suddenly a few years ago a neighbor 3 houses up the street started dumping shovels full of dog poop in their driveway. When asked "why" he said b/c our dog comes up there and poops in his yard every morning. Our dog is never out without one of my parents and he never wanders further than the next door neighbor and my father is always behind him with the shovel - even when he poops in our yard so I am 100% positive he has never so much as peed in this mans yard. The real question though is how did he "know" our dog's poop from that of his 2 dogs?
So again I say - Some people are just stupid - They cannot get out of their own way and there is nothing you can do about it.
I hope they follow through and fix the car. Just as a precaution I would take pictures of your damage and where the recycling bins are in relation to your car.

The.Knitter
04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
The police should have taken a report. It would have made everything easier. Were there any witnesses?

I am the only witness. I was sitting right there when he did this. He kind of chuckled and said "you have a little ding in your car". Later, when I would not respond to him at all he said "oh, sorry about that Christine", but not a word was said about having the car fixed. As a matter of fact, he spent the morning singing at the top of his lungs, AFTER damaging my car.

Here's the picture I took today. You can clearly see two dents and a lot of chipped paint. This was NOT there the day before.

Debkcs
05-01-2008, 03:28 AM
His laughing about it (and I don't care if it was to cover nervousness) would have made me mad enough to spit.

This couple needs to pay for your car to be fixed. I suppose that if you went to your insurance company your rate would go up?

That's why I love Farmers. Your rate doesn't go up if it wasn't your fault.

I'm SO SORRY you have to go through this!

BinkyKat
05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Speaking of poo, our dog when i was growing up wasn't allowed in the front yard unsupervised. Once when Dad was mowing the lawn, he saw some poo from the neighbors dog on the lawn that neighbored our lawn. He sort of pushed it over to their grass adn went on his way. Several weeks later when he was cleaning some gutters on the same side of the house, he found the fossilized poo on the roof :shock: :ick: :??
I guess dogs can fly...:shrug:

Knitting_Guy
05-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Yep, I agree that you should sue this moron.

The.Knitter
05-04-2008, 09:37 PM
His wife is now very upset with me and is not talking to me because I called the police to see what I needed to do to get my car fixed. She claims "friends do not do friends that way and she thought we were friends but she guesses that we are not". This is just her way of trying to get out of paying to have the car fixed, because I immediately agreed with her when she said they would have it fixed. She had to pick a fight so that her conscience would be ok when she did not have the car fixed. Nothing has been said in several days about the car. Nothing has been said .

Welcome to my life! I am still feeling too crappy to fight them on this right now but I WILL!

You see, the car was the last thing my parents got me! They died, Mom in April 2002 and Dad in July 2002. They left me money, stating I needed a reliable vehicle and a cell phone. They said single women should not drive junk cars. I bought a really nice car and got it for a song. I love my car and have repeated told them to be careful around it. Perhaps they don't respect things, but I DO!!! I would never damage their property, NEVER!

I intend to get estimates from three places and present them to them. Of course they will choose the cheapest one, if they do agree to have it fixed, which I highly doubt. Only time will tell.....

jess_hawk
05-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Good luck! I hope they agree to pay and by some miracle realize how inconsiderate they are.
If not, I agree: sue them.
When your neighbor said "friends don't call the cops on each other" ... I would have said, "friends don't dent each other's cars and then laugh about it."
(Actually that's not always true: I slid into my best friends' car on some ice once and after a quick apology it ended up being quite funny... but that's a totally different situation)

stitchwitch
05-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Well even if they don't fix it I'm guessing (hoping) it will be the last time they damage it. People have a tendency to treat you the way they think you want to be treated (not an insult, I hope that didn't come out wrong). By standing up for yourself and not backing down it shows them you won't tolerate it. Go forward with this and don't let that manipulator throw you off by her drama and guilt trips. She's wrong, her husband is wrong and they obviously have gotten through life this way, some people do. If you let them win this one it will only set the precedent for further bullying and this is what this is.

Abbily
05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Christine, I don't venture out of the sock thread much anymore so I just came across this thread. I am SO SORRY that your crappy neighbors are acting this way! In my opinion, "friends" do not throw recycle bins onto friends' cars, and if they do, they immediately make it right. You are not the one who ended this "friendship". I think you did the right thing.

It sucks that you might have to sue him over this, but I definitely don't think you should let it go. Good luck!

Sanibelle
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I am so sorry that you are having all these problems with your neighbors. If you really do not think that they will pay you and you will wind up in court, please put everything in writing to them - either email them and save all your emails or send them a registered letter.

Good luck!

knittingymnast
05-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh.....That's not a nice person. :hug: Sorry that happened, The.Knitter! :hug: